PDA

View Full Version : How do Venus and Serena hit the ball

cool bird
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:32 PM
This is a really odd question but i just wondered how venus and Serena hit there ground strokes. Commentares often remark that davenport hit the ball very flat or that Amlie hits with a lot of spin. So i just wondered how Venus and Serena hit the ball is a flat hit or do they use a bit of spin as well. (i know they dont slice a lot)

Knizzle
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:33 PM
This is a really odd question but i just wondered how venus and Serena hit there ground strokes. Commentares often remark that davenport hit the ball very flat or that Amlie hits with a lot of spin. So i just wondered how Venus and Serena hit the ball is a flat hit or do they use a bit of spin as well. (i know they dont slice a lot)

They hit both.

for-sure
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Serena=more topspin
Venus=as flat as hell itself

Volcana
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:40 PM
They hit both.
Venus - backhand, very flat. forehand - she usually hits flat, but also uses some sidespin (inside out forehand). Not much though. and she also uses this wierd slice where she comes under the ball in front of her instead of two the side. But she's not hitting flat on the forehand side, she almost seems to be trying to steer the ball instead of hitting it.

Maybe that's why she sometimes makes a lot of errors on her forehand. Ask Richard

Sam L
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Venus' backhand is very flat yes.

Serena has more spin on both forehand and backhand, which is why it may seem like the ball from her isn't going as fast, but it's heavy. It's heavier than Davenport's balls and harder than Mauremo's balls. Which is what makes her so good.

Roddick_tease
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:17 PM
I think they're both somewhere in-between.

Topspin? Mauresmo, Henin, Clijsters.
Flat? Lindsay, Dokic, Myskina, Dementieva especially
In-between? Venus, Serena, Jen

Venus Forever
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:19 PM
They hit it with their rackets. How else would they hit it?? :confused:

Diya
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:29 PM
So i just wondered how Venus and Serena hit the ball is a flat hit or do they use a bit of spin as well. (i know they dont slice a lot) ?

They hit it with their rackets. How else would they hit it??

Giving everyone a proof of how dumb you are huh ? Read the question asked in the first post :tape:

BTW I too think that Venus hits flat while Serena tends to hit more of topsin

Venus Forever
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Giving everyone a proof of how dumb you are huh ? Read the question asked in the first post :tape:

BTW I too think that Venus hits flat while Serena tends to hit more of topsin
Too dumb to realize sarcasm. :tape:

Sam L
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Roddick, Jenn hits FLAT imo.

Roddick_tease
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Yea, but it's tough to tell sometimes... I mean all players hit flatter some days, more spin on other days... like Venus used to hit with a lot of topspin when she first started, not so much now.

Rub
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:36 AM
i thought venus's grip was western!

Knizzle
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Too dumb to realize sarcasm. :tape:

WHOOOSH!!! Right over Diya's head.
:dog:

arcus
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:08 AM
The dont hit..............

i mean they hardly ever play................... :rolleyes:

xr6turbo
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:20 AM
i thought venus's grip was western!

Yeah it is, it's not extreme western though like some players have. ;)

CanadianBoy21
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Serena hits a flat backhand, but her forehand has a lot of spin on it, but she excelerates beautifully so that it has some amazing power and it really seems like its flat, but the spin helps it stay in. Venus has had trouple putting spin on her forehand, thus having forehand go meters out. Venus' backhand has been off because she is not hitting flat enough, of what I saw at Aussie. Her backhand shots have no need for topspin because she is so tall and she can really take a cut at it with still going in. But her forehand she comes under it and then straightens her racket out so it's still flat but not enough margin for error.