PDA

View Full Version : Cheating for real in sport : I need help.

Sofiane
Feb 7th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Hi everybody,
Each month I try to write a paper about sports in my university journal (it's in french). Actually it's not really about sport but more the realtion between sports, the student life, and the Uni.
My frist one was about the sport center of the university.
My second one was about Belgium, about Kim and Justine.
My third was about the definition of the sport, where I talked about the ''Only balls should bounce'' advert.
My fourth was about doping (I didn't talk about tennis).

I need your help guys, I am trying to write about the real cheating by professional athletes (not just tennis) appart from doping.
For exemple, when Tonya Harding attacked Nancy Kerrigan to help here chances to win, any other examples?
Thank you guys for your help.

Volcana
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:00 PM
In baseball, last year, one of the greatest current home run hitters, Sammy Sosa, was found to have put cork in his bat. This is done by hollowing out the barrel and inserting cork, and gluing wood over the top. He CLAIMED it was a batting practice bat he picked up by mistake. No one believed him, and he was suspended eight games I believe. No one knows how many other home runs he hit using illegally altered equipment.

Pitchers in baseball have been known to use a variety of substances to 'scuff' the ball (make part of it rougher) to increase the amount of curvature they get when they throw. Again illegal. They've also put spit, vaseline and tar on the ball to alter rotation characteristics.

In basketball, there's a concept called 'the ref sees the 2nd foul'. So if the refs looking away, you slam the guy hard in the ribs. The refs hears him make noise on impact, turns to look, and sees him retaliate. HE gets called for the foul.

Davis Cup is rife with legends of biased judging. USA-Romania eithr '69 or '71 caused some significant complaints.

Auto racing. Putting sugar in the opponents gas tank. Doesn't work with nitro-methane.

Horse racing - 'getting the opponents goat'. Old saying, real origin. Some horses are skittish. In some cases, a companion in their stalls calmed them down. Goats, among other animals were used. The night before a big race, if you kidnapped the opponent's goat, the odds were the horse wouldn't race well.

Hope that helped.

Martian Willow
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:12 PM
There was the time Ayrton Senna drove into the back of Prost in the final race of the season in Japan. I think it was '89 or '90. Prost had to finish ahead of Senna to win the championship. Senna was on pole but they made him start from the dirty side of the track because they were scummy cheating French surrender monkeys, so he was behind going into the first corner, so he just didn't brake much and took Prost off. Ayrton Senna was cool.

Also, Schumacher using traction control in '95 when it was banned. Schumacher isn't cool.

:)

arcus
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:21 PM
same for m schumacher winning one of his formula 1 world championships. He narrowly led a resurgent daemon hill going into the final race. The winner was going to be the champion unless neither finished. By running daemon hill off of the track during that race schumacher made sure he was the world champion.
Off course, he said it was a driving mistake, and noone could prove it............

arcus
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:26 PM
A lot of people thought that Mary decker was deliberately tripped off of the track by zola bud in the olympics a while back too.....

Professional soccer is full of "prefessional fouls"...... so much so that it it widely regared as being part of the game.

Tanking matches to aid gambling scams is common. There have been suggestions in tennis and proven allogations in cricket. I cant remember the details, but I think it was australia or pakastani players envolved, i could be wrong.

BTW, the practice of slipping performance inhibiting substances to horses is called "nobbling"

Sofiane
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks you very much guys, thanks a lot Volcana, arcus and Willow.
Volcana what does corck mean? and also skittish?
Thanks a gain, I will try to write my colunm tomorrow.

starr
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Hi everybody,
Each month I try to write a paper about sports in my university journal (it's in french). Actually it's not really about sport but more the realtion between sports, the student life, and the Uni.
My frist one was about the sport center of the university.
My second one was about Belgium, about Kim and Justine.
My third was about the definition of the sport, where I talked about the ''Only balls should bounce'' advert.
My fourth was about doping (I didn't talk about tennis).

I need your help guys, I am trying to write about the real cheating by professional athletes (not just tennis) appart from doping.
For exemple, when Tonya Harding attacked Nancy Kerrigan to help here chances to win, any other examples?
Thank you guys for your help.
Black Sox scandal. :)

That was real cheating.......... as opposed to what is being talked about on this board as cheating.

Also there have been scandals in college basketball where players took money to throw games too.

andrew_uk
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:58 PM
I've got one.

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/french_open_2003/2967190.stm

Williams 'hurt' by jeers

A tearful Serena Williams accused Justine Henin-Hardenne of "lying and fabricating" during their dramatic French Open semi-final.
The American also admitted she was hurt by the hostile attitude of the Parisian crowd as she suffered a shock 6-2 4-6 7-5 defeat to the Belgian.

Williams was jeered by spectators in the closing stages, and had her every mistake cheered, as several line calls were disputed by both players.

The world number one was particularly upset by an incident in the third set when she prepared to serve.

Henin-Hardenne raised her hand to suggest she was not ready to receive. Williams served anyway - a fault - but then claimed she was distracted and asked the umpire for the point to be replayed.

The umpire said he had not seen what happened and Williams was rankled when Henin-Hardenne did not intervene to admit that she had not been ready.

"I was a little disappointed with her," said Williams.

"It wasn't the turning point of the match, I should have still won the game, but to start lying and fabricating is not fair.

"People want to win these days but this is just a tournament and I'm looking forward to next time already."

Despite the obvious antipathy of the home crowd towards Williams, she denied suggestions that it might have been a result of anti-American feeling in France.

"It's a little difficult," said Williams.

"I've had to learn to fight all my life - got to learn to keep smiling. If you smile things will work out.

"Deep down it hurts. I think it's bad when people start booing between serves.

"But she played very well and deserved to win. I've just got to be a little stronger next time.

I don't think being American right now had anything to do with it. I just think sometimes you want the underdog to win."

Williams came into the match as the world number one and holder of all four Grand Slam titles, with 33 consecutive wins in the four major tournaments.

"I am not used to crying, I am sorry," said Williams after the match.

"It was a tough crowd out there... the story of my life. It is just difficult when people are booing and screaming between points."

Her mother and coach, Oracene Price, criticised the fans.
"A lack of class and total ignorance," she said. "Or they just don't know tennis and the etiquette of tennis."
Henin-Hardenne described the atmosphere as "wonderful" and had little sympathy for her opponent.

"She wasn't very happy, but that is sport, that is tennis," said Henin-Hardenne.

"She has had lots of chances recently, it's about time she gave others a chance."

JennyS
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Figure Skating is filled with cheating and the ISU doesn't want to do a thing about it. In fact, they promote it because the judging is now annonymous!

Volcana
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks you very much guys, thanks a lot Volcana, arcus and Willow.
Volcana what does corck mean? and also skittish?
Thanks a gain, I will try to write my colunm tomorrow.
'cork' is what goes in the top of wine bottles. (Well, SOME people use plastic now, but the traditional material is cork.)

'skittish' menas nervous, jumpy or unsettled.

Hulet
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Can't believe no one mentioned Maradona yet. Arguably the greatest soccer player ever scores with his hand to beat the English in WC'86. Afterwards he didn't even regret and calls the goal, "The hand of God". http://www.f-vm2002.dk/pictures/photos/1986/hand_god.jpg There is a lot of cheating in soccer - mostly by strikers who "dive" without any contact from defenders to decieve the ref into giving penality. It is so common these days that some well-known coaches are rumoured to encourage their players to dive.

Sofiane
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Thanks Eta_Psi, I forgot it myself!! and thaks for the pic also, I think I'll use it.
Thanks again!

skanky~skanketta
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/readers/worstscandals.html

go here. it has headlines but not clear about what really happened.

Rothes
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:54 AM
You could generalise the view about taking extended breaks during matches in Tennis, though I can point alot of names, it's a generalised view ;)

Anyway of to Congregation and Church Mass now, Bye Bye

Greenout
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Justine didn't cheat. It was a misunderstanding between chair umpire
and crowds.

Here's a real "CHEAT" story. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this one.
BOSTON MARATHON 1980. Winner Roise Ruiz was stripped of her medal
and prize money when it was detected after video tapes that she was
nowhere to be found during various points of the race. She never fessed
up; but it seemed that she appeared out of nowhere to cross the finish line.
The theory is that she ran midway and hopped on the subway, got off
and finished the ending of the race.

Now the major marathons require that all pro races wear a electronic chip
to monitor their race course miles and routes.