PDA

View Full Version : Larry Scott and tournament directors must be feeling sick

JennyS
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:45 PM
As much as the fans are disappointed about the player's being injured, I can't imagine what it's like to be Larry Scott or one of the tournament directors right around now.....

Kim Clijsters withdrew from Sydney and Linsday Davenport couldn't play her SF match
The Australian Open was ruined by injury
Plenty of players withdrew or will withdraw from tournaments during the next few weeks

And who knows if things will get better in the coming months. I think a lot of players will be back in March, but it could still take a while for them to get their games back into form.

I wonder how the WTA will make it through November.

tennisIlove09
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:19 PM
what's wrong the tour? I don't remember a time when so many injuries were happening. The tour is seriously lacking any sort of a-Drama; b-competition with all the injuries.

-Sonic-
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I just hope that the players that do play will take advantage of it... get some titles under ur belt amelie/anastacia/zvonareva/petrova/sugiyama et al

Rollo
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Cute avatar Sonic:)

The sad part half the players youmentioned who could "take advantage" are injured themselves-including Mauresmo and Sugiyama. Rubin is back to he rold injured self too.

SerenaSlam
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:27 PM
i still think the tour needs to be shorter. i don't think tourneis need to be moved around like aussie or what not, they need to cut back, they would save money, and they would have an easier time in the "advertising" aspect inorder to get the tour some "light" in the world letting more people know about the WTA.

i mean, you got the sisters injured, you got kim eventually gonna need some surgery, jennifer is out, monica is out

you also got kim talking about in 2 years she may retire, i dont think that she is saying she wants to actually go on and start family or what not, last year was her 1st year playing shit loads of tennis, id be surprised if she even plays 70% of what she played last year. i think she is talking "retirement" in 2007 b/c she knows there is no way you can consistently play over 100 matches a year as a top player.

Keith17
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:30 PM
The tour is seriously lacking any sort of a-Drama; b-competition with all the injuries.
Because you're a Williams fan.

This makes it much more dramatic for fans of the lower players. It's finally their chance.

Unfortunately, like others have said, even these players are injured.

Amelie will be out. Nadia, Ai, and Chanda are injured... plus there's probably more that we don't know about.

tennisIlove09
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Because you're a Williams fan.

This makes it much more dramatic for fans of the lower players. It's finally their chance.

Unfortunately, like others have said, even these players are injured.

Amelie will be out. Nadia, Ai, and Chanda are injured... plus there's probably more that we don't know about.
Even if I wasn't a Williams fan, it wouldn't change.

Davenport has been struggling with numerous injuries since 2001. She hasn't played her best tennis in years, mostly because of injuries.

Capriati is injured, and has been pretty much since the US Open. (she probably shouldn't have played the Chase in LA. But since Davenport-Williams-Williams-Seles were already out, she couldn't withdraw)

Seles has been out since last May!

Being a Williams fan has NOTHING to do with it. :rolleyes:

starr
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:49 PM
i still think the tour needs to be shorter. i don't think tourneis need to be moved around like aussie or what not, they need to cut back, they would save money, and they would have an easier time in the "advertising" aspect inorder to get the tour some "light" in the world letting more people know about the WTA.

i mean, you got the sisters injured, you got kim eventually gonna need some surgery, jennifer is out, monica is out

you also got kim talking about in 2 years she may retire, i dont think that she is saying she wants to actually go on and start family or what not, last year was her 1st year playing shit loads of tennis, id be surprised if she even plays 70% of what she played last year. i think she is talking "retirement" in 2007 b/c she knows there is no way you can consistently play over 100 matches a year as a top player.
I don't see how you reason that the fewer numbers of tournaments need to be played since two of the players with the longest lasting injuries play the lightest schedule of anyone on the tour.

Are you suggesting that players only be required to play 10 tournaments a year? If so, say :wavey: to a financially healthy tour.

*JR*
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM
There's been talk about a longer offseason for a few years. Finally, Larry made a fairly definitive statement about it last week. As with the AER or anything else important, the WTA doesn't act until it "Really, Really, Really" has to! :rolleyes:

Raj
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:57 PM
1. If the tour was shorter the players would have a long off season, where many may lose their touch and it could take ages for them to regain their form.

2. For the last time the tour is NOT too long, players can pick and choose the events that they play and also work holidays into their Schedules like Kim Clisters, she took two four week periods off last year and went on holiday. Yet she still played like 25 tournaments including Hopman cup, all the slams, Fed cup. She also had the time get get injured and recover and get engaged!

3. A short while ago Serena Williams was the number 1 player on the back of like 10-12 tournaments. So all they gotta do is work out their schedules and breaks and what tournaments they really want to play.

4. I think its a joke when you have a great player like Jelena Dokic who obviously needs to work on her game but decides to fly all around the world and play every tournament in site, she played like 30 tournaments last year.

THE TOUR DOES NOT NEED TO BE SHORTER, THE PLAYERS NEED TO WORK ON THEIR SCHEDULES AND SORT THAT OUT AND NOT BLAME THEIR DEFEATS AND INJURIES ON THE TOUR BEING TOO LONG!

As for players being injured, i dont think you can blame that on the tour either.

Look at great players like Serena, Venus and Jennifer who are all injured, yet play minimal number of tournaments.

Also if the tour was shorter and a player was injured they would not have a chance to play again that season, as it is unlikely they would be able to recuperate that quick.

Please stop going on about how long the tour is!

Ted of Teds Tennis
Feb 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM
If the Tour was shorter, players would play more exos in the offseason.

Greenout
Feb 8th, 2004, 02:42 PM
1. If the tour was shorter the players would have a long off season, where many may lose their touch and it could take ages for them to regain their form.

2. For the last time the tour is NOT too long, players can pick and choose the events that they play and also work holidays into their Schedules like Kim Clisters, she took two four week periods off last year and went on holiday. Yet she still played like 25 tournaments including Hopman cup, all the slams, Fed cup. She also had the time get get injured and recover and get engaged!

3. A short while ago Serena Williams was the number 1 player on the back of like 10-12 tournaments. So all they gotta do is work out their schedules and breaks and what tournaments they really want to play.

4. I think its a joke when you have a great player like Jelena Dokic who obviously needs to work on her game but decides to fly all around the world and play every tournament in site, she played like 30 tournaments last year.

THE TOUR DOES NOT NEED TO BE SHORTER, THE PLAYERS NEED TO WORK ON THEIR SCHEDULES AND SORT THAT OUT AND NOT BLAME THEIR DEFEATS AND INJURIES ON THE TOUR BEING TOO LONG!

As for players being injured, i dont think you can blame that on the tour either.

Look at great players like Serena, Venus and Jennifer who are all injured, yet play minimal number of tournaments.

Also if the tour was shorter and a player was injured they would not have a chance to play again that season, as it is unlikely they would be able to recuperate that quick.

This is so true. Players should be able to figure out their own
schedules. Look at Justine she's played less tournaments last
year than any period in her short career. They figured it out
as no more than 2 tournaments in a row on one surface.
Spreading the weeks between for fitness training and down
time.

We can't cut the season too short because there are people
who need the money. It could hurt the careers of the journeyman.

JennyS
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:25 PM

How can any fan be sure that a longer off-season won't help when the players have never been given a longer off-season. The only way we could know if a longer off-season would or wouldn't make a difference is if they actually had one. Right now, the only evidence we have is that the players currently have a 1-2 month off-season and that tons of players are getting injured.

At the same time, do major league baseball players really NEED 4-5 months off? Couldn't MLB technically have a 9 or 10 month season if they really wanted to? Couldn't the NFL put the Super Bowl in March or April?

I also think it's very misleading that players have "off weeks" Don't forget that team sports athletes have a BENCH to sit on (usually half the game). And there are usually 3-4 days between games.

If tennis players played half their matches in one city, the other half on the road but on the same continent, had 2-3 days off between every match, then I would agree that an off-season wasn't too necessary.

And while players do play off-season exhibitions, they aren't tough on players mentally. Maybe tennis players need a break from defending points as much as they need a break physically.

vogus
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:07 AM
"The Australian Open was ruined by injury." - Jenny S

Whatever.

All you ever do is bitch, bitch, bitch, spin, spin, spin, about the same old thing. Don't you have anything else to talk about? Why don't you take your bitchy, obsessive little "shorten the season" agenda somewhere else.

I thought it was a pretty darn good Australian Open, thank you very much.

starr
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:54 AM
How can any fan be sure that a longer off-season won't help when the players have never been given a longer off-season. The only way we could know if a longer off-season would or wouldn't make a difference is if they actually had one. Right now, the only evidence we have is that the players currently have a 1-2 month off-season and that tons of players are getting injured.

At the same time, do major league baseball players really NEED 4-5 months off? Couldn't MLB technically have a 9 or 10 month season if they really wanted to? Couldn't the NFL put the Super Bowl in March or April?

I also think it's very misleading that players have "off weeks" Don't forget that team sports athletes have a BENCH to sit on (usually half the game). And there are usually 3-4 days between games.

If tennis players played half their matches in one city, the other half on the road but on the same continent, had 2-3 days off between every match, then I would agree that an off-season wasn't too necessary.

And while players do play off-season exhibitions, they aren't tough on players mentally. Maybe tennis players need a break from defending points as much as they need a break physically.

You ask how we can be sure that a longer off season won't help when it hasn't been tried. Well, don't you see that the converse is true as well? There has always been a long tennis season and we haven't seen this number of injuries before.

Consequently, if the season has always been this long and players have never had much of an off season, it follows that the long season can't be the sole cause of all the injuries seen recently. It would make sense to blame the injuries on the long season IF the season had been shorter and the injuries occurred only after lengthening the season. Since that did NOT occur, one can't logically blame increased injuries this year on the length of the season.

Furthermore, if you recall, Venus generally takes off the fall season anyway, and Serena does pretty much the same. Their seasons are already shorter yet both were injured.