PDA

View Full Version : Jelena = My Hero

bmxbandit
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Davenport routs Dokic

Defending champion Lindsay Davenport showed no mercy against Jelena Dokic, pummelling the seventh seed 6-1 6-0 on Saturday to reach her fifth Pan Pacific Open final as injuries continued to blight the tournament. The American will play Magdalena Maleeva in Sunday's final after fifth seed Chanda pulling with a knee injury.

RESULTS: Scores and Draws from Pan Pacific

Rubin had advanced to the last four in Tokyo following top seed Venus Williams's withdrawal from their quarter-final with a leg muscle strain on Friday.

Second seed Davenport powered through her semi-final in just 42 minutes against Dokic, who bravely decided to play despite a groin strain sustained earlier this week in her first tournament of the season.

"Obviously, there is a little bit of sympathy involved," said Davenport, who improved her winning streak at the Pan Pacific Open to 11 matches dating back to 2001. "I've tried to play injured many times and it's just a losing proposition. You're not really sure what to do.

"The odds of her coming back are increasingly difficult once you're injured and really far down in the match."

Former world number one Davenport won the title in 1998, 2001 and 2003 but missed the tournament in 2002 after undergoing knee surgery.

The 27-year-old Californian was runner-up to Japan's Kimiko Date on her first visit in 1995.

GREAT WEEK

"I am feeling confident. I've had a great week with good, quick matches. I feel like I'm doing the things I need to do well." Davenport added. "I want to win it again."

Dokic had lost all eight previous meetings with Davenport and the 20-year-old only competed after hearing that the first semi-final had been called off.

"With the other match being defaulted, it wouldn't be good for the tournament if both semi-finals had not been played. I tried a few games, as much as I could," said Dokic, who skipped last month's Australian Open for the third year running.

"I'm happy the injury is no worse. It's not a tear or anything, it's just a strain. Hopefully, if I can have two or three days without playing, it will get better."

Several players have complained about the wear and tear on their bodies from the indoor carpet in Tokyo, including Dokic, Davenport and Williams.

Meanwhile, embattled organisers are still awaiting the findings of a police investigation after a female spectator fell four metres after slipping through a loose floorboard in a temporary stand on Thursday.

The woman was taken to hospital but later released with minor injuries.

from eurosport.com.

I'm pround of her. Get well soon :sad:

©@®eLess
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM
She is nuts. But she loves it. Thats why she is palying 30 tournaments a year. I love you Jelena :) I hope you get better soon

KoOlMaNsEaN
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Please get well soon and rest that up!

New
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Jelena !!! that was a brave thing to do and a good effort considering you took one game ;) hope you recover in time!!! good luck for you next tournament.... :)

croat123
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:17 PM
very brave move. hopefully she can make a comeback :)

faboozadoo15
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:25 PM
wow, i'm really proud of her. that took some guts and consideration for the tournament for her to do that. not everyone would have stayed out there and lost that badly.

CanadianBoy21
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Oh yes Jelena, what an amazing thing to do! I am so proud of you, NOT! Next thing you know she will start sleeping with her fans so she doesn't dissapoint them.
:rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Oh yes Jelena, what an amazing thing to do! I am so proud of you, NOT! Next thing you know she will start sleeping with her fans so she doesn't dissapoint them.
:confused:

bmxbandit
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't mind....:lick:

Nikola
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:40 PM
:)

Freewoman33
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Go ahead Jelena, make your injury worse. We love you for that.

Dava
Feb 7th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Glad to know its nothing serious, Im breathing big sighs of relief. Its a good start to her year as well, all those points :)

Havok
Feb 7th, 2004, 05:51 PM
get well soon Jelena:banana:

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Why are you such a bitch? Dokic didn't let down organizers, like the rest of the field who was in her situation and said NO WAY I DON'T CARE ABOUT THOSE STUPID FANS. She couldn't move and couldn't compete with Davy, but at least she put on a show! She didn't intend to play but Rubin withdrew so there were would be no semis :retard: Why do you people see negative things in everything? Jelena Dokic has respect and is committed to the sport, and thought of those people that payed for their tickets, and you still bring her down :rolleyes:

Jelena SAVES THE DAY! Sort of... :D

New
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Why are you such a bitch? Dokic didn't let down organizers, like the rest of the field who was in her situation and said NO WAY I DON'T CARE ABOUT THOSE STUPID FANS. She couldn't move and couldn't compete with Davy, but at least she put on a show! She didn't intend to play but Rubin withdrew so there were would be no semis :retard: Why do you people see negative things in everything? Jelena Dokic has respect and is committed to the sport, and thought of those people that payed for their tickets, and you still bring her down :rolleyes:

Jelena SAVES THE DAY! Sort of... :D

well said! like i said before. at least she worked hard enough to get a game instead of being double bagelled and besides with her first three matches performances, i would say she's coming back to the top ten...

Brian Stewart
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Kudos to Jelena for playing. I assume she got word that playing would not make her condition any worse, even though it did prevent her from moving well. She took a chance, probably knowing she'd get scorched by some if she lost badly. I would hope that if she did find herself in the same situation as Venus and Chanda, where playing would be risking severe damage, she'd do the sensible thing and withdraw. It's nice to consider the fans, but you have to consider your long term health. After all, there have been tournaments that had no semis or final (usually due to weather). Sometimes things happen.

They really do need a new surface for this tourney. 2 years in a row it's caused Chanda knee pain from the very first day, and it's claimed a number of other victims. Between the Rebound Aches in Australia, and the Pain Specific Open, we've seen a startling number of casualties already.