PDA

View Full Version : The Universal Career Slam

Volcana
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:53 PM
The career slam in singles, doubles and mixed.

Martina Navratilova achieved it when she won OZ last year. The only other player who could even have come close is Margaret Court, I would think. I don't think anyone has done it on the men's side.

SJW
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Serena has all four singles
all four doubles
2 mixed doubles...let's find her a partner :scratch:

bandabou
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Yep...letīs hope that Max plays long enough, for Serena to complete it...itīs pretty amazing, how Serena only played like 4 or 5 mixed GSīs, yet she needs only two to complete it the career slam.

Sam L
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Yes Serena is close. If she plays mixed, she could easily do it.

Martina Hingis is also missing French (singles) and all slams (mixed). We all know she can win the mixed doubles slams (all of them, only if she came back).

Venus is missing Australian and French (singles) and Wimbledon and US Open (mixed).

So they're all fairly close.

Experimentee
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:30 PM
I really think Serena should play with Max again at the AO and French just so they can complete the Slams. They would win easily looking at the level of competition in mixed doubles nowadays. And it would be so much fun to watch them.

Rtael
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Court DID achieve it.

Volcana
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Court DID achieve it.
Thanx. That was the player I was unsure of.

mn73
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Margaret Court and Doris Hart got there before Martina Navratilova.

Volcana
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Margaret Court and Doris Hart got there before Martina Navratilova.
Doris Hart - 30 overall GS titles.

tennisIlove09
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:11 PM
what about Billie Jean? :o

saki
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I hadn't realised quite how close Serena was to the universal slam. It's very impressive! I don't know if she cares enough about making it to try to pick up the remaining two mixed doubles slams, but she certainly could do so any time she wanted given the quality of the mixed draws. I suspect she'll be the only currently active player to do it, but Venus is also in with a shot. If Daniela Hantuchova ever decides to start using the talent we're all in danger of forgetting she possesses, as odd as it might seem, she's the only other player I'd credit with a chance - because she's not only talented enough to win singles slams, she also seems to be good at and committed to doubles.

disposablehero
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:42 PM
She's not Michael Jackson's lover.

Andy T
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:18 AM

BJK came incredibly close: she won everything but the Australian Open women's doubles. Her best performances there were two finals in 1965 and 1969 and three semis in 1968, 1982 and 1983. These were the only times she played the women's doubles in Australia. Court is the only woman to have won them all twice; Martina would have joined her had she and Paes defended the Aussie mixed successfully.

hingis-seles
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:46 AM
WOW! The Hingis-Williams generation seemed to do very well in doubles as well as singles, as opposed to their predecessors (Graf and Seles) who were just content with singles dominance.

Knizzle
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:48 AM
She's not Michael Jackson's lover.
<-----------*DEAD*

:haha: :haha: :haha:

arcus
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:54 AM
BJK came incredibly close: she won everything but the Australian Open women's doubles. Her best performances there were two finals in 1965 and 1969 and three semis in 1968, 1982 and 1983. These were the only times she played the women's doubles in Australia. Court is the only woman to have won them all twice; Martina would have joined her had she and Paes defended the Aussie mixed successfully.

that particular record (everything twice) is amazing but IMO doesnt mean a lot, when u remember that there just was no aus mixed event for years. martina navratilova would prob have won more times if the event had existed during a lot of her prime and she had played it.

Andy T
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:56 AM
that particular record (everything twice) is amazing but IMO doesnt mean a lot, when u remember that there just was no aus mixed event for years. martina navratilova would prob have won more times if the event had existed during a lot of her prime and she had played it.

I totally agree Arcus. They stopped it in 1969 and reinstated it in 1987, so Martina only got to play it a handful of times, all of which were when she was past her prime. She made it to the semis in 87, to the final in 88 and 04 and, won it in 03, the only four times she entered. In 85, she won the other three Mixed titles, so she could have gone for a mixed doubles calendar year Grand Slam if the Aussie Open had staged a mixed doubles event: what a bummer.

Rollo
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:21 PM
And its a total shame what Oz and the US Open do t the mixed. If you split sets you play a tiebreak for as title?:rolleyes:

Why bother? Respect it or drop it.