PDA

View Full Version : Dokic injured

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:10 AM
from eurosport.com

-------------------------------------------------
Davenport routs Dokic

Defending champion Lindsay Davenport showed no mercy against Jelena Dokic, pummelling the seventh seed 6-1 6-0 on Saturday to reach her fifth Pan Pacific Open final as injuries continued to blight the tournament. The American will play Magdalena Maleeva in Sunday's final after fifth seed Chanda pulling with a knee injury.

RESULTS: Scores and Draws from Pan Pacific

Rubin had advanced to the last four in Tokyo following top seed Venus Williams's withdrawal from their quarter-final with a leg muscle strain on Friday.

Second seed Davenport powered through her semi-final in just 42 minutes against Dokic, who bravely decided to play despite a groin strain sustained earlier this week in her first tournament of the season.

"Obviously, there is a little bit of sympathy involved," said Davenport, who improved her winning streak at the Pan Pacific Open to 11 matches dating back to 2001. "I've tried to play injured many times and it's just a losing proposition. You're not really sure what to do.

"The odds of her coming back are increasingly difficult once you're injured and really far down in the match."

Former world number one Davenport won the title in 1998, 2001 and 2003 but missed the tournament in 2002 after undergoing knee surgery.

The 27-year-old Californian was runner-up to Japan's Kimiko Date on her first visit in 1995.

GREAT WEEK

"I am feeling confident. I've had a great week with good, quick matches. I feel like I'm doing the things I need to do well." Davenport added. "I want to win it again."

Dokic had lost all eight previous meetings with Davenport and the 20-year-old only competed after hearing that the first semi-final had been called off.

"With the other match being defaulted, it wouldn't be good for the tournament if both semi-finals had not been played. I tried a few games, as much as I could," said Dokic, who skipped last month's Australian Open for the third year running.

"I'm happy the injury is no worse. It's not a tear or anything, it's just a strain. Hopefully, if I can have two or three days without playing, it will get better."

Several players have complained about the wear and tear on their bodies from the indoor carpet in Tokyo, including Dokic, Davenport and Williams.

Meanwhile, embattled organisers are still awaiting the findings of a police investigation after a female spectator fell four metres after slipping through a loose floorboard in a temporary stand on Thursday.

The woman was taken to hospital but later released with minor injuries.
---------------------------------------------------

©@®eLess
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Dokic :( better skip Paris please. You shouldn't have palyed that ,atch. If they forced you you should complain. Why didn't Rubin play as well then!!!!!!

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Dokic :( better skip Paris please. You shouldn't have palyed that ,atch. If they forced you you should complain. Why didn't Rubin play as well then!!!!!!

I guess Dokic wanted to give the fans a match. Well, she tried :D... :unsure:

jimbo mack
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:30 AM
good attitude from dokic today!! :yeah:

Doraemon
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:35 AM
As a tennis fan in Japan now I have mixed feelings about this tournament and the players.... don't know how I should take all that's been happening.

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:42 AM
As a tennis fan in Japan now I have mixed feelings about this tournament and the players.... don't know how I should take all that's been happening.
What players? Dokic showed up at least

malbasdn
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Brave soul dokic but she is not on the commitment list in Paris will she play?????????
Good on ya dokic

Greenout
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Were you there? The accident is weird. It's sad to see everything
come to a climax on a somber note in Tokyo. :sad:

Lady
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Yes, I saw the match! Jelena was really troubled by her injury :sad:

~RedRose~
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Here is my review of the match

Jelena you could tell was injured from the start ..... She was shaking her foot a little and u could tell it was bothering her (i think it was the left (?)). Jelena lost the first game to love and lindsay then held comfotably. Jelena then served and hit some really good winners and held to love. Lindsay then had break points against her in the next game but she held on and then her domination took off. Jelena did have some chances and did hit some good shots. Alot of the games were Dueces or 40-30 (not alot of love games, i think only 2 for Lindsay) but the points were usually very short. Alot of the points resulted from return winners from Lindsay due to the fact Jelena's serve was a bit short (from her injury) and she wasn't going to risk further injury attemping to go for some of Lindsay's returns. I don't think Jelena played THAT bad .... sure she was far from her best but she was hitting the ball quite well, especially when it came into perfect hitting range. Her movement today was really horendous due to the injury and the serving was off too. Despite this .... She could've had a chance against some of the less hard hitting players but against Lindsay ... NO WAY!.
Lindsay was SPOT ON! She was hitting winners left right and center. SOme Jelena should've attempted to run for but either way she would'nt hav got much raquet on them if any at all they were that good. Lindsay's serve was really on today which i think helped her alot, she hit about 10 aces and seemed to be able to serve wherever she wanted with ease. There was one game i think at 0-4 in the second where Lindsay serve went off and Jelena hit some return winners, she did manage to crawl out of there and save 4 break points though. so i think that serving well today really helped her.
In conclusion I think Lindsay is playing fantastic at the moment and should probably win the final with ease. Jelena on the other hand has nothing to feel bad about, a fantastic first week and even though she wasnt running that well, u could tell she was hitting the ball pretty well and when she gets fully fit and healthy should return to the top ten soon :)