PDA

View Full Version : Question about Maleeva's ranking points

ghosts
Feb 7th, 2004, 05:51 AM
She will get final points regardless of winning the semi by w/o, right?

Doraemon
Feb 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Yes she will. Of course she won't be awarded with bonus points from beating Chanda for the obvious reason.

gnouctennis
Feb 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM
She will get final points regardless of winning the semi by w/o, right?

yes, but she won't get quality points for a w/o.

ghosts
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:07 AM
so she gets final points even if she lose to Davenport?

LucasArg
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:09 AM
so she gets final points even if she lose to Davenport?
Yes of course.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:13 AM
The way I think of it is that a walkover is win solely for the purpose of advancement in the tournament (which includes what stage of the tournament you reached for that component of ranking points). It is not a win or a loss for any other purpose, so it has no effect on either player's win/loss record or on quality points.

ghosts
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:15 AM
no, they count the w/o wins or losses to the H2H...
one of the two Rubin's wins over Maleeva is by w/o

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:05 AM
I used to see an asterisk beside a recorded walkover loss saying something like "does not count as an official win/loss". A walkover is different from a retirement.

Are you saying that walkovers are counted in the WTA's stats, or what? Or just that they are recorded in a data base so that they show up in H2H's?

I may well be wrong about this. I'm happy to be corrected, if so. But I'd like to know for sure what the position is as to what walkovers count for.

I mean, we all seem to agree that they get you to the next level of the tournament, which counts for ranking points, but that they don't count for quality points. If they count for anything else, can someone clarify it and be definite, as in posting an ITF/WTA rule about it or something?

crazillo
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:45 AM
what will maggie┤s ranking be now, i think the quality points aren┤t included as well. please show me a÷ll possibilities. nd what┤s about doubles?

spencercarlos
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:52 AM
no, they count the w/o wins or losses to the H2H...
one of the two Rubin's wins over Maleeva is by w/o
You are a little confused i guess....
W/O NEVER COUNTS as a win..
Go this link http://www2.itftennis.com/PD/HeadToHead/H2H.asp?Gender=F and search head 2 head records. A match that never started can not be counted.

And yes Maleeva advanced to the final despite not playing her semifinal match, but sure she gets Final round points...and even if she gets to the final winning ALL her matches via W/O she would get final round points as well. The Quality points are the ones taken away, because she did not played her match.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks, petosp, that's how I always thought it worked. Thought I was going mad.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:35 AM
And just to prove the point, the data base is up to date (e.g. it has the AO final in it), but it does not include the match that never happened at the AO between Mauresmo and Zuluaga. Any unofficial database or H2H listing that includes walkovers should therefore specify that they don't officially count.