PDA

View Full Version : Capriati's obscenities

Trudy
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Was Capriati fined for the obscene and abusive language she screetched at the chair at the Australian Open?

Hingis was given a warning for throwing a raquet (something almost common place among so many high profile players these days) and yet Capriati can scream the "f" word three times in the face of the chair audibly and demand a line judge be removed and she doesn't even get a warning. And the line judge's call was correct per the replay and the commentators!!

This hype about Capriati is sickening. Yes, she plays power tennis, but so do other players who act dignified and under control on the court.

I don't consider her the sportswoman of the year or "America's sweetheart" in the least. So she smoked some weed and got caught...and now she still plays tennis. So what? Is that some great heroic rise from the ashes? I don't think so.

Enough already! Other players that are just as formidable and impressive have overcome greater odds and actual troubles to perform in the top ranked group.

And they're not out on the court constantly grimacing, complaining and whining, yelling cuss words and trying to intimidate judges and more respectable players.

If a ball from an opponent even comes close to a line, and she happens to miss it, off she goes glaring or yelling at the chair. What a wimp!

Meanwhile, players like Venus Williams and Martina Hingis can have really obvious bad calls against them and just stay focused and deal with it.

I really hope this bogus "love affair" with Capriati and the media comes to an end.

Her "great comeback from troubled times" was being raised in overprivileged Boca, and getting caught partying with her friends. Her "great sportsmanship" consists of yelling and whining when things don't go her way and then putting on some little girl whisper in her interviews after cussing out every judge on the court like a psycho truckdriver.

destructo_girl
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Wow, strong words there, Trudy. :eek:

I'd be ducking and covering right about now. Expecting some hard and fast replies to this one.

destructo_girl
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:14 AM
And I think its a little late.

We've covered all of this before already.

Sal U. Lite
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Junior Member, 1st post ever......... How Convenient.........

:rolleyes:

Hingie
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Well i know that Trudy is not the only one of this board that feels that way, she's just brave enough to actually say what she thinks.

veryborednow
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:40 AM
You're late. Slow. And we're bored of this already.

Actually. Jen swore yes, and Martina smacked her raquet against the net. Both of which would normally get a warning.

BUT both went unpunished. Due to the heat and stress these players were playing under I think it was a good idea.

FURTHER raquet smacking was warned against because it was repetitive.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not even going to dignify it with a response.

http://rhein-zeitung.de/on/01/09/06/sport/news/capriati.jpg

the_ancyent_marinere
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:52 AM
All the prissy personalities and their tiresome threads *sigh*

Jakeev
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Hey Trudy how paying attention and how bout this for obsenities, you are an ignorant &^%$#@^&%$# and us Capriati fans don't give a damn what crappy things you have to say about her.

If you don't like her fine just don't insult the rest of us who like her just the way she is.

Tennisfan**
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Hey there Trudy. Welcome to the board. Just because it is your first post does not mean you dont have a valid point. I used to be a Jen fan but yes i agree with most of your post.

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

Playa
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Give Jen Cap A break !!

I wish Venus was like that....

harloo
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Trudy, you have a right to your opinion but try not to be too harsh . I think Jen gets away with so much than any other top player on the tour, which is a disservice to her. Getting a pass with that type of behaviour only encourages it. With that being said, the top is a new place for her. I think in due time she will straighten up.

CC
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:17 PM
I like Venus the way she is....

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Some people really need to pick it out of their ass and move on with their own lives....

"Trudy" is no exception :rolleyes:

angele87
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:23 PM
I totally 100% agree with you Trudy... I'm so glad there's finally somebody else on this board that totally thinks the same way I do... right after the Aussie Open i brought up the same points you did and like you, mostly everybody freaked out!! Glad to read your post Trudy!!

Jordan.
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Go Jennifer!You rule 4ever!

theultimateone
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Trudy's comments about Capriati might be redundant, but Capriati's behavior is so deplorable that Trudy's comments are worth hearing over and over again!!!

BTW, why would anyone want Venus to turn into a PSYCHO bit*h like Capriati? Venus should continue playing tennis and WINNING with the same class and professionalism she has always exhibited.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Bravo Trudy! I too think the "comeback of Jennifer" was a lot of hot air. Yes her slams win are amazing a credit to her, but her "troubled" past was really blown out of proportion. Also I find it curious that people who talk about gamesmanship and respect turn a blind eye to jen's antics.

Oh and that dr. j quote is just plain silly. So the pope has no emotions? Mother theresa had no emotions? Some people dont have to express themselves with profanity, those people have vocabularies. People who curse have none.

CanadianBoy21
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Jakeev--"us Capriati fans don't give a damn what crappy things you have to say about her."

LOL, you are a Capriaty fan, yet you call her "CRAPPY"?????????

Well at least you say the truth.

And who is 'us', you are the only idot on this board who is a fan of Jen.
:p

Just because Trudy says the truth, don't have to go crazy like Jen.

Martina, Monica, Venus, Lindsay, Serena, etc...ALL have class, and act like ladies, and then there is 'crappy', who, walks like a man, and behaves like a crazy lunatic who needs therapy and who is still smoking weed on regular basis, and who just seems like she is having a hangover every freakin time...
Congratulations to her for winning Australian Open, but she lost the last 4 times to Venus, the last two times to lindsay, the last time to Serena, and the last two(three?) times to Monica.

:bounce:

Playa
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Venus never complains , and IMHO that's no good ...

that's what i meant...

Trudy
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Yes, this was my first post... didn't anyone else have a first post? Or did they just immediately become a "senior" member? Besides, having spent a bunch of time writing opinions on a website doesn't make your opinion any more valid...in fact, maybe the opposite. Someone told me to get a life... but I'm also supposed to feel ashamed that I haven't spent half my life on this website.

Look, all I wanted was to know for sure if Capriati had been fined or not for her verbal abuse at the chair and line judge.

I'm asking now because I was on vacation and my fiance and I taped the Open and just finished watching it.

You Capriati fans are making it clear what kind of people are buying into her bogus "comeback" story that the TV feeds you. You all sound angry and unwilling to look at anything counter to your own stubborn viewpoint. Just like the player you admire.

There are players who have been stabbed, seriously ill, serverely underprivileged,etc. who have risen to win and don't complain like a child on the court everytime they miss at the baseline. She's a whiney, spoiled chick that smoked some pot. Big deal.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with cussing,

but when you do it on national television, shaming officials, affecting the attitude of the other player and complaining about calls that are correct, you don't make the heat of the day and the exhaustion of the game any easier for anyone.

[Removed by administration]

Admin note : Next time you'll use this kind of language you'll be suspended.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:58 PM
"And who is 'us', you are the only idot on this board who is a fan of Jen. "

Superhero - I consider myself a fan of Jenn's. If you want to question MY IQ, then your the idiot :p
Not to mention the scores of other people who you don't know that you just insulted.
How pathetically ignorant. Your a total hypocrit - if anyone says something about ALL williams fans you'd jump all over them. Yet you do it to others - tsk tsk.

Trudy - your the only one around here who needs to get a life

"You Capriati fans are making it clear what kind of people are buying into her bogus "comeback" story that the TV feeds you. You all sound angry and unwilling to look at anything counter to your own stubborn viewpoint. Just like the player you admire. "

The only reason people are annoyed is that you've decided to enlighten us with your anger in your first post. You had nothing positive to say whatsoever, and still haven't. If you want to contribute to the board, would it kill you to say something nice?
Like, why not talk about your favourites?
Instead you critisize a whole fan base for being stubborn and angry, when its clear, that you are the only one who is.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:59 PM
btw - if Jenn was a hockey player, people would love her for it.

instead, she plays prissy tennis. So people pick her apart for it.

theultimateone
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Becca, I question your IQ. For instance, your statement "Trudy - your the only one around here who needs to get a life" should actually be stated as "Trudy, you're (you are) the only one around here..."

I know this is not an English or Spelling board, but I couldn't resist. LOL, LOL!!!

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:17 PM
theultimateone - I don't edit my posts, or correct my grammar to please individuals, like yourself :p

If it makes you feel like more of a person for correcting my grammar, than Bravo.

Though on one hand I'm sorry that your life is so unfulfilled you need to critisize others to feel good about yourself - on the other I'm glad that i could bring a smidgen of joy to your life.

Oh, wouldn't you know - I forgot to capitalize the "i". I must not be able to read :rolleyes:

TeeRexx
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Trudy - This was a well written and objective post.

I agree with what you have said for the most part.
Jennifer is a great player and I presume a basically decent person.
She should be more aware of her personna on the court and in public for her marketing value at the very least and for her own personal enrichment in the long run.

To curse one self for a shot missed is one thing, but to use the "F" word at another person for some unrelated action, is reprehensible and no way for a "sweetheart" to behave.

theultimateone
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:30 PM
You shouldn't have to correct your grammar, if your Intelligence Quotient is as HIGH as you want others to believe. Afterall, you are the one who brought your IQ into question, not me!!.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Tee Rexx - Thankyou for saying with tact, what others couldn't. You were able to insult her on court conduct without cursing, or berating her as an individual.
Thankyou. its nice to see that it CAN BE DONE.
It'd be nice if some other fools would read over what you wrote and realize that.

theultimateone - I'm not the one who called an entire fan base idiots. That was Superhero.

I call into question the intelligence of anyone who does that. Hence my reason for bringing up IQ.

Ever heard of a typo, dumbass?

:rolleyes:

A4
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Hey Trudy. Go easy on poor Miss Capriati, okay? She's one of my favorites. And welcome to the board, I actually started of as a Senior Member myself.

A4
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:41 PM
And relax, Becca. Don't let yourself get riled!

CanadianBoy21
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Becca, I always liked your fighting spirit, so attrective in a women.
But butt out, I was not talking to you, :p .
Obviously you didn't get my sarcasm that there is only one fan of Crappy...
And by the way, you are the dumbass, since you can't differentiate with a person making a typo, and a person just being a dumbass.
Jakeev, why did you change the correct answer, now you made a mistake, you changed Crappy to Capriaty, :p

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:46 PM
"And by the way, you are the dumbass, since you can't differentiate with a person making a typo, and a person just being a dumbass. "

:confused: What the heck are you talking about here? I made the typo, as I often do. What does that have to do with people being dumbasses? :confused:

Anyhow- now that I've gottend riled up and calmed down, i'm starting to find this whole thing a little funny..

CanadianBoy21
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:55 PM
"Anyhow- now that I've gottend riled up and calmed down, i'm starting to find this whole thing a little funny.."

What, the drugs are already wearing off...:p
They seem to last longer for Jen...

DBowik
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:56 PM
This is my first post, I normally just enjoy reading the childlike comments of most of the posters. But I hate when people attack others for any reason, and wanted to respond here.

I like the fact that at times Jennifer looses her cool. I wouldn't (or hope I wouldn't) swear at an chairperson, but she was hot, frustrated, and it came out. Get over it! Plenty of players have done it (some in other languages). Jen is fun to watch...in part because she is a little (OK...alot) brash at times. If you don't like her...fine with me. But I don't think any of us on this board have a right to judge a person from watching them on TV a couple of hours each year.

As for people hyping Jen and her "comeback story" too much over the last few years, I would simply ask her critics "Are you that ignorant about the role of the media in todays society?" Its the MEDIA that creates these fantastic stories because the public loves to read it! Jen herself is not to blame! In fact, she avoids the media! (now...not when she was 14)

Since it is my first post, I will also say that I find this board lacking in areas that I would like to see more of. That is ... discussions about our opinions of these atheletes as tennis players. How many times can you say "GO Martina!"?????

CanadianBoy21
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:01 PM
"What the heck are you talking about here? I made the typo, as I often do. What does that have to do with people being dumbasses?"

If you keep reading the post maybe 500 more times, you will get the meaning of it...

Okay, here is the quote again: "And by the way, you are the dumbass, since you can't differentiate with a person making a typo, and a person just being a dumbass."

Meaning, you are not the dumbass because you make a typo, but you are simply a dumbass(not because making typos).......

I undestand that this might take your brain a litttle more processing because your IQ is not that high, 25, 35??

:kiss:

CanadianBoy21
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:09 PM
DBowik,
I mostly agree with you, that Jen losing her cool is fun to watch, but to a certain point.
BUT what really ticked me off was when she wanted the fans, who were CHEERING for her, to shut up...
That was really rude and uncalled for.
"Tell them....Tell them again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Jennifer, sweetie, THEIR CHEERING FOR YOU!!!!!
Does anything please Jennifer????? :confused:

Watching Jen at 2001 AO was so much fun, I cheered for her since the first round.
Watching Jen at 2002 AO was not so much fun, she kept acting all bitchy, etc..
I can't imagine next year, at 2001 AO she was a Sweetie
2002 she became a rude biatch
2003 she will become a psycho lunatic bitch

tenn_ace
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:11 PM
I have different feeling about Jennifer... it depends on which one we're talking about: 'on-court' or 'off-court'.

I met Jen of court twice and both times she was really nice to me and other fans even though she was uinder pressure not to waste any time with us. I really enjoy communicating with her too.

On the other hand, she annoys me when she do all that 'bad' stuff when things are not going her way. We all do stupid things when we argue, when we're upset, so on, but Jen is #1 in the world and a winner, so she should think of her PR. Martina hasn't been when she was younger and she still pays for it. Jen should realize that sooner or later people will turn against her if she doesn't change.

Ryan
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:27 PM
I just think the Capriati is a poor sportsman and needs to clean out her mouth. There are many other things she could have said besides the f word. Its amazing she wins anything when she's acting that bitchy.

Ryan
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Was that directed towards me?

CB
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Trudy....

this post is awesome :D I'm your biggest fan now :rolleyes: :angel:

Sorry Jen fans but this guy is just right... you have to realise that.

veryborednow
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Time out!!

Can I call a time out here.

Right.

1 - This is someone putting her arse on the line to ENTERTAIN us. I get the feeling she entertains all of you. Jen fans or not.

2. Her ENTERTAINING us got to her as a kid. I was too young to know anything about this. Her comeback is something that the press will always pick up on, just like Armstrong overcoming cancer, the fact that Venus has a sister, that Monica was stabbed (I'm sorry for bringing that up). Every celebrity whatever their profession has one bit of information that'll always come up about them in interviews, articles whatever. Jen's is her comeback, whether she likes it or not. Whether we like it or not.

3. Trudy - yes, your first post was good, if not slightly negative. I don't know how long you've been reading this board but there's been a lot of negative comments about her recently and people react impaitiently to it now. I gave you the answer to one of your questions in my first post.

4. There are other Jen fans out there. They are not idiot, wankers, fuck ups whatever. They just like one player over another. I know a lot of people (i know some people don't) do this too, but with other players. WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO LIKING PLAYERS, IT DOESN'T MAKE US ANY LESS OF A PERSON FOR DOING SO.

5. There is no need to resort to calling Jen names. We don't know her. We can't fully hate her because WE. DON'T. KNOW. HER. we can not like her attitude, language, style of tennis, fashion sense, whatever. BUT WE CAN NOT HATE HER BECAUSE SHE HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG BUT DO HER JOB.

6. Finally, I would like to ask all of you to step outside. It's 40 degree C (dunno what it is in F). Your playing for the winning place in a tournament which is going to prove that the second part of your last year was just a dip in form and that your career highs were not a flash in the pan. You're not playing well down a set and a break. Your hot, annoyed and a call didn't go your way. You're so hot that you can barely think straight and have to sit down after 2 minutes of play. The pressure is unbareable. And you lose it. You say "fuck".

7. The Dr. J quote is from a scientific study.

8. STOP INSULTING EACH OTHER.

Hingie
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:03 PM
VBN, as far as i'm aware this is a debate, that's what message boards are for. I have no idea why jrj turned this into a racial argument, but i'm not in the least surprised, and Becca, for someone who normally demonstrates a very objective way of thinking, this was not an isolated incident. Jennifer has done this before and she needs to realise the public position she has and she ain't being a great role-model for all the aspiring players out there. I don't even know how you can compare Jennifer blatantly swearing at the chair umpire and Martina throwing her racquet, as far as i'm concerned there is NO comparison! I would have slammed Jennifer with a hefty fine.

veryborednow
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Hingie - hi :wavey: It was a timeout - concluding before next round thread, not a stop thread, but the insulting of each other needs to stop.

Personally, the answer comes from a "quantity not quality" type of behaviour.

Swearing and tennis raquet throwing are completely different ways of expressing ones anger. But, in the end they are both agressive ways of showing your frustration.

Because Martina repeatedly threw her raquet, she was warned. Jen only swore once, and therefore was not warned to counter balanced the non-warning of Martina's first raquet smacking incident. By trying to treat the players actions equally NUMERICALLY she would gain trust from both sides by not showing bias.

As for a hefty fine. Did you see Marats swearing? Now. Is it OK for him to go off on one very long agressive swearing streak and get fined $1000, but you would like to slap Jen with an equal or worse fine.

And that is where equality between sexes becomes an issue. because she is female you are more distgusted? and think she should be fined more? where as nobody is complaining about Marat's bahaviour.

Now THAT really interests me.

jrj
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:21 PM
hingie, I deleted my post because I don't want involved in this. However if you've ever seen the crap that I've seen about who I was referring to maybe you'd understand.
I don't want involved in this but I'll say this who is anyone to be casting the first stone or in the case the 1,000,000th stone at Jen? None of you swear ever??
Personally the only thing I try very hard not to say is cursing against god, in fact every time I do I fine myself a dollar and give it to church, I'm not kidding. Yet I still in anger do it and the church across from my work gets a buck. I am getting better though!

Jakeev
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Uh Trudy just because you have a horseface yourself ......and superhero what is it I changed?

I told you not to smoke that stuff you grow in your backyard but you never listen:kiss: :

Becca you rock sister.....I still say some of these people need to switch to gold or figure skating.......

CanadianBoy21
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:13 PM
"I told you not to smoke that stuff you grow in your backyard but you never listen"

Try telling that to Jennifer :kiss:

TeeRexx
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Well, these threads have driven me to smoke. :eek: :p

go hingis
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:36 AM
You would think that the pot, would of helped Capriati to be Relaxed and cool

but maybe she's missing it and having withdrawals, and taking it out on everyone else.;)

Personally I agree, Capriati #1 sore loser.

Jakeev
Feb 18th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Low blow Superhero but ya got be chuckling:kiss:

Hingie
Feb 18th, 2002, 08:59 AM
VBN, in my opinion Martina could have broken all her racquets in her bag, then had to call the Yonex factory and get them imported from Japan and it STILL would not have been worse than Jennifer's antics, and let's face it they were antics. Again, we are not talking a one off, she repeatedly said the F word in her sentences, a complete lack of respect for the chair and i wouldn't have tolerated it. Didn't see the Marat incident but regardless of sex, fine these players, it's not like they can't afford it!

Jrj, how very gracious of you to delete your post. I'm glad you are getting your blasphemy under control as well.

I too, am very sick of this whole comeback thing, i mean the girl has won 3 grand slams, i think the comeback has truly come and gone! And for the record dear Jennifer, i think it will be a long while before you get up to Martina's calibre, someone is a little ahead of themselves.

the_ancyent_marinere
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Beeep-beeep, spam guard alert!!! Jeez, is it my PC gone mad again? I gotta get out of this board, right now!

-Sonic-
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:05 AM
"Hey Jenn, I am gonna take up tennis and play just like you cos you're my fav"

the first practice:

*serves ball far too quickly*
*mother calls 'out'. second serve"
*kid shouts "you ****ing **** **** **** **** ****"
*serves ball again without thinking*

-Sonic-
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:05 AM
my attempt at v crap humour. made me smile tho. i'm sorry.

thefreedesigner
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:17 AM
made me smile too, Sonic. ;) :)

Sense of humour can sometimes be lacking on this board though. Have to say, I'm getting my fair share of 'laughs' reading this thread. :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:35 AM
"And for the record dear Jennifer, i think it will be a long while before you get up to Martina's calibre, someone is a little ahead of themselves."

Hingie - I'm a fan of both players for the record. In fact, I even wanted Hingis to win at Oz, cause its been so long :sad:

however - Jenn is clearly above Martina right now. Jenn has won 3 slams in the past 14 months. Hingis hasn't won any in three years.

Jenn is clearly in the right fram of mind to say she is above hingis at the moment - if she did indeed say that.

There is only one player who currently, is better than Jenn. Of course you can argue that, seeing as Jenn hasn't played since Oz...

but you get my point :)

veryborednow
Feb 18th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Didn't Jen say it was going to take her a while to be the calibre of Martina?

This is her speech at the end, right?

the_ancyent_marinere
Feb 18th, 2002, 04:42 PM
It was!