PDA

View Full Version : What if the ball bounces back??

Brαm
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Today I saw a Davis Cup match in which a player hit a drop shot that "spinned" back onto HIS side of the court. And he WON the point! :eek:
Isn't that really odd? I mean, are there official rules for this? :confused:

Martian Willow
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:25 PM
If you think about it, once the ball has bounced once (on your opponent side of the court), it doesn't matter where it goes after that. It's up to his opponent to get to it before it bounces again. I think his opponent would be allowed to reach over the net and hit a shot, as long as he doesn't touch the net. Not sure about that though.

Rtael
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Yes, the opponent can even run around the net and hit the ball, as long as he doesn't interfere with thte other player's ability to hit the ball!

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Today I saw a Davis Cup match in which a player hit a drop shot that "spinned" back onto HIS side of the court. And he WON the point! :eek:
Isn't that really odd? I mean, are there official rules for this? :confused:

You know what's weirder? I've actually had that happen to me when i was playing. It's wild. And it was on a sitter lob that I was going to mash, but it bounced back over the net. I lost the point!

Brαm
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Well I have a really twisted "technique" (I don't think you could actually call it that) & I've done that before!! :eek:

But my brother always said it wasn't a winner (for me) so he would get the point :sad:

Grrrr! I'll teach him next time :fiery: :p

(maybe I'll win a game :yippee: )

kosmikgroove
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:40 PM
what about then:

player A hits an overhead smash into the corner of player b's court, the ball bounces, and then hits the back wall. Before the ball lands on the ground, can player B still hit it back and make it count?

Gowza
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:40 PM
LOL, i did that to someone once, they went to net to do a smash and they couldnt reach it lol coz it bounced back over to my side (actually it spun bak about 3 or 4 metres)

Brαm
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:44 PM
what about then:

player A hits an overhead smash into the corner of player b's court, the ball bounces, and then hits the back wall. Before the ball lands on the ground, can player B still hit it back and make it count?
I think the wall would count as the "2nd bounce". Therefore player B would've lost the point.

mboyle
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:49 PM
For this situation, yes it is legal for the ball to bounce over back onto the original player's side, and the other player is allowed to get it so long as A: he/she doesn't touch the net and B: he/she doesn't interfere w/ the other player.

For kosmikgroove, the wall counts as the second bounce.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:52 PM
what about then:

Nope.

esquímaux
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:56 AM
I play with a bunch of guys (my grandpa's age :eek: ) and I've done that before on a return of serve :haha:. It'll teach those old geezers to serve me dink balls :lol:

K-Dog
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:30 AM
That happened last year in Miami to Venus against Meghann in the 4th round. It was a long, fast-paced point that saw both girls scrammbling from the baseline and the net. Venus hit a running forehand down the line and Shaughnessy almost dove for the volley and it ended up coming from Venus' side to Meghann's. Venus played it, but it was already on Meghann's side of the net.

esquímaux
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Vee attempted to reach for it, but stopped. Cliff Drysdale was saying that she could've reached for it, but isn't it illegal to reach across the net to hit any kind of shot?

MisterQ
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:07 AM
I think Venus COULD legally have hit it, even though it had crossed the net. she could have reached it, but it was such an unusual situation, I think she stopped herself because she was unsure in the moment.

Pamela Shriver
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Mmmm I think Ping Pong serves should be allowed, especially if they're a second serve facing match point.... :o

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Simon Larose did it!!!! Allez Canada :bounce:

It was a great dive volley!

joegerardi
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:32 AM
The official rule is if the ball bounces back over the net, that is the ONLY time you are allowed to reach over the net to hit the ball. However, you may not touch the net at any time, and you may never run around to your opponent's side of the court to hit a ball.

If a smash hits a wall, a net post, anything that is a "fixed part of the court" and bounces back into play, the point is awarded to the player who hit the ball, as long as it bounced in the correct court first. If it hits a permanent fixture before bouncing in the correct court, then the player who didn't hit the ball wins the point.

..Joe

esquímaux
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Mmmm I think Ping Pong serves should be allowed, especially if they're a second serve facing match point.... :o

But Pammy, the old geezers I play with execute funky ping pong dink serves that have NOTHING on yours :angel:.....it's a rather ghastly sight to see and I wonder how their serves actually make it over the net :tape:

Experimentee
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I saw it happen once in a match between Kucera and Grosjean, one of them served a big serve, the other just got their racquet onto it, the return only just cleared the net, then bounced back over!

Lady
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I guess something similar happenned during last year's US Open in Blake vs Sarsian match! Sarsian ran over to the Blake's part of the court to hit the ball, it was within the rules!
Everyone luophed of course ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:25 PM
WOW I just saw that shot...It was so awesome! A dive volley! incredible! Go Canada lol

azza
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Bram :rolleyes:

Vass22
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:37 PM
according to the rules, to win a point a player must hit the ball by his racket to get it on the opposite court. The player from whose court the ball bounced back did not hit the ball, so he lost the point.