PDA

View Full Version : Maleeva's Parents sentenced for tax evation

JohnBoy
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Hi All

An article from the Bulgarian news website www.novinite.com (http://www.novinite.com/).

Maleeva's Mother Sentenced over Tax Evasion

Politics: 6 February 2004, Friday.
The mother and coach of the Maleeva sisters- Bulgaria's best tennis players of all time- Julia Berberian was given a sentence of 12 months in jail while her husband Georgi Maleev got 18 months imprisonment over tax evasion.

The sentences of the famous couple were suspended for three years. They will also have to pay a fine of BGN 1,250.

Berberian and Maleev have not paid the taxes on the income they grossed in a swap of 15 apartments for a 21 hectare estate projected as a tennis complex. The check was launched by the Supreme Cassation Prosecutor's Office while Berberian was an MP in the 38th National Assembly.

The verdicts could be appealed within 15 days.http://www.novinite.com/images_july2003/spacer.gif

I guess steffi was not the only player with tax issues.

Regards

Johnboy

Rtael
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:23 PM
:sad:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:25 PM
:eek: This is happening a lot in the tennis world :eek:

jimbo mack
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:33 PM
what is it with tax and tennis??!! :shrug:

tennisIlove09
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:35 PM
that's why she's winning again. Her family needs mo' money

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:28 PM
One year of jail for not paying taxes on a swap of apartments? Couldn't they ask for money instead of putting her to jail? That's sad for the Maleeva family.

It says they suspended the sentence. I don't think she got jail .. unless that means something else.

croat123
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:29 AM
maggie must have been pissed. that's why she won so easily ;)

hewittrok
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:33 AM
that's why she's winning again. Her family needs mo' money:lol:

imogen
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:38 AM
it should be motivation for her to win Tokyo! Go Maggie!!

Martian Willow
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:43 AM
A suspended sentence means they will only go to prison if they get in trouble again in the next three years. I don't suppose BGN1,250 is very much money either.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:45 AM
A suspended sentence means they will only go to prison if they get in trouble again in the next three years. I don't suppose BGN1,250 is very much money either.

I thought that was what was meant.

Mariangelina
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:05 AM
This must be so embarrassing for poor Magdalena. :sad: Tennis certainly has its share of unethical parents.

azza
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:23 AM
whats tax evation?

TennisHack
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Maleeva sisters' parents convicted of tax evasion
2004-02-06 16:57:26 GMT (Reuters)

SOFIA, Feb 6 (Reuters) - The parents of the tennis-playing Maleeva sisters were given suspended jail sentences for tax evasion on Friday, local media reported.

The Sofia City Court gave Yulia Berberyan, a prominent Bulgarian tennis coach, a one year suspended sentence and her husband Georgi Maleev an 18-month suspended sentence, radio station Gong said.

The two are parents to Manuela, Katerina and Magdalena Maleeva, who have all been ranked in the top 10 in the world. The older two have now retired but 28-year-old Magdalena is currently Bulgaria's best tennis player at 28th in the world.

The report said Berberyan and her husband had failed to pay taxes on undeclared income, which they earned by swapping 15 flats in Sofia for 2.1 hectares of land used to build a tennis complex.

Dawn Marie
Feb 7th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Damn stupid tennis parents. Poor Maggie, how embarrasing for the family.

Parents are always doing stupid things while their kids act mature. Parents could learn lessons from their kids these days.:)

bgbgbg
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:04 AM

BGN1,250 = USD800

Nathalie_Tauziat
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Poor Yulia I hope she is OK dans prison. Of course in prison there are many aggressive lesbians and new prisoners become their sexual playthings. When I told Pam this back in les 80s she rang police and admitted to assassinating JFK, being part of le Manson family and being le Boston strangler but she never quite got into jail.