PDA

View Full Version : Serena Shocker? Withdraws from Open Gaz

tennisIlove09
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:01 PM
from www.SerenaWilliams.com (http://www.SerenaWilliams.com)

Serena Withdraws from Gaz de France

2/6/04 6:22 PM

More disappointing news for fans of Serena as she announced today that she will not compete in the Gaz de France, scheduled to begin on Monday, February 9, 2004.

"I am continuing to train, and I feel that Iím just about where I want to be. My knee feels great and I look forward to coming back in championship form," said Serena upon making her decision.

Tennis fans eagerly await the next event on Serena's schedule - the Qatar Total Open the week of March 1, 2004.

Jarrett
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:06 PM
She will be back in Miami along with Monica. Yay!

Kabibi
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Well, it's disappointing as a fan on one hand because I don't get to see her in action now, but in the long run it'll be worth it. I want her at her best and in great form to be truly competitive.

Slumpsova
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:16 PM
this is so disappointing:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Serena, I can't help thinking you're afraid of Kimmie:p

Mrs. Peel
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:18 PM
:speakles:

Knizzle
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:19 PM
No one should be surprised. I found it weird that she would be able to show up for Paris, but couldn't make a go of it in Australia. This was to be expected.

Mrs. Peel
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Venusfan is really gonna bust his girdle now! :bolt:

Cariaoke
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:23 PM
^ :haha: :haha:

whew..........

:sad: damn... The Williams sisters are my drug.... hmmmpf, vamos Kimmeke! :dance:

tyk101
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:23 PM
imagine is monica gets drawn against serena in the 2nd round in Miami?!

sartrista7
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:24 PM
"I am continuing to train, and I feel that Iím just about where I want to be. My knee feels great and I look forward to coming back in championship form," said Serena upon making her decision.

Er... so she's fine, the knee is fine and she's where she wants to be. I take it that she just can't be arsed with coming to Paris, then?

Kabibi
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Er... so she's fine, the knee is fine and she's where she wants to be. I take it that she just can't be arsed with coming to Paris, then?She stated she's just about where she wants to be. Not quite there yet.

per4ever
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:41 PM
and Amelie forfaited too... so just hand over the title to Kim :(

1jackson2001
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM
that's too bad. hopefully she'll really be back for her next tourney, the Qatar Total Open

harloo
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Venusfan is really gonna bust his girdle now! :bolt:
ha!!!:lol:

harloo
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:57 PM
What's the shocker in this instance?:D

Andrew.
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:02 PM
No one should be surprised. I found it weird that she would be able to show up for Paris, but couldn't make a go of it in Australia. This was to be expected.

Couldn't have said it better.

Mase
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I'm personally not shocked ;)

Diya
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:07 PM
The Williamses are back ...........at doing what they are best do .......Pulling NO SHOWS :tape: whats new ? :rolleyes:

CanadianBoy21
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Serena gives the impression that she is 'graudally' retiring by withdrawing sooner and sooner from events.

CanadianBoy21
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:09 PM
The Williamses are back ...........at doing what they are best do .......Pulling NO SHOWS :tape: whats new ? :rolleyes:
Diya is back......... at doing what she is best at......... Posting the same shit over and over again :tape: what's new? :rolleyes:

harloo
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:11 PM
And Diya is back.........at doing what she does best.......hating on the Williams sisters, and wishing Jen would get out of her slump? :tape: what's new?:rolleyes:

:lol:

RAA
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:12 PM
yes, I had a feeling.. I mean, she would have been IN paris by now, if she was going to compete, no??

anyway,... I wait impatiently ...

Justinefan
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Funny that she withdrew b/c a thread that was started this morning was about how Serena's website said that she was definitely playing the OPen gaz..

lizchris
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:15 PM
And Diya is back.........at doing what she does best.......hating on the Williams sisters, and wishing Jen would get out of her slump? :tape: what's new?:rolleyes:

What slump? She isn't even playing right now.

I am not surprised that she withdrew. I said that I don't expect to see her umtil Miami or maybe Indian Wells.

Andrew.
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:17 PM
What slump? She isn't even playing right now.

I am not surprised that she withdrew. I said that I don't expect to see her umtil Miami or maybe Indian Wells.

I say Miami. When was the last time she even played Indian Wells?

Justinefan
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:17 PM
or maybe FO?

lizchris
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I say Miami. When was the last time she even played Indian Wells?
2001 when she won for the second time.

Diya
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM

Right now( when the rankings come out next ) Jen is ranked higher then BOTH W/S 's i believe :tape:

CapFan#1
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:21 PM

Ok, I agree there is no need to rag on Serena for withdrawing...really unnecessary! Tennis needs Serena back healthy and competing when she is ready.

But is there any need to rag on Jen?? I know you were trying to get at Diya, but that's not fair to jen's other fans :angel: Jen is not in a slump, she's injured just like Serena. And she is still #5 in the world.... pretty darn good IMO!

Knizzle
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Right now( when the rankings come out next ) Jen is ranked higher then BOTH W/S 's i believe :tape:

Running a little short on material, are we Diya??

*Points and laughs at Diya*

lizchris
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:22 PM
True, but last I checked, both sisters have MORE titles than she does and when you WIN and can't defend your points, you lose those points. Since Jennifer hasn't won much in the past two years, she doesn't have that much to lose.

lizchris
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:37 PM
What does the last two years have to do with the ranking? Only the last year is relevant. And she hasn't won that much point? How come she's number 4 in the world next week then?
You're right' only the last year is relavant in regards to her ranking points, but I was referring to her title wins, I should have made that clear.

She is only number four because Serena's points from last year came off. Last year, Jennifer didn't add much to her ranking points because before Indan Wells, she only played two tournaments. If she doesn't come back by Indian Wells, she'll be falling in the rankings too.

pigam
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Pfff Serena... I was kinda hoping she would play (although it seemed doubtfull since she didn't play the AO)
Apparently, keeping the topplayers on the commitmentlist as long as possible is a tactic used by every tournament(director). The commercials on belgian TV/radio are still mentioning Jen Capriati to play in Antwerp. It helps them selling tickets, for sure ;)... but I think it's kinda 'unfair' ... :shrug:

LindsayRocks89
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:48 PM
darnit i wanted serena to play but if shes not back to the form she wants to be at then that is ok ;) get well soon serena :worship:

barmaid
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Shocked?:confused: Surprised?:confused: Not really, just "numbed" at all the tournament withdrawals:p "Power tennis" is proving to be the undoing of all the athletes that are playing it!! :sad: Bring back Martina Hingis and her magical tennis ....:kiss: :hearts:

barmaid:wavey:

Infiniti2001
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:51 PM

Just like that rottweiller who won't drop her bone ;) :lol:

jbone_0307
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:56 PM
omg what is wrong with Venus and Serena??? I swear they have withdrawn from more tournaments than the whole tour has combined. Im not even trying to be funny. Anyways get better

bandabou
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:57 PM
As long as the knee is doing fine...

Diya
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Does she have a 5 second role to play in some movie or something ? Who knows , maybe Serena, the "actress" doesn't have time for tennis anymore :sad:

-cata-
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:01 PM
mmmm.... sounds like another Hingis case!!! :sad:

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:03 PM
I guess they are not prepared. Richard Williams's advice has always been: protect the invulnerability aura. If they feel like they are not going to win the tournament, they withdraw, to avoid defeat and protect the "champion aura".

Good tactic; but it's turning against them because they are averaging 10 tournies a year max;

Infiniti2001
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Diya, you better quit while you are ahead, because you seem to be running out of insults.. I'm just :confused: as to why you have all the time in the world to follow in detail 2 players you constantly put down. Are you that desperate for attention?? Get some help :tape: :eek:

bmxbandit
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:13 PM
does this mean that Jelena is in now? :)

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:14 PM
does this mean that Jelena is in now? :)

:unsure:

Brαm
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:17 PM
and Amelie forfaited too... so just hand over the title to Kim :(
:rolleyes:

That's the first thing you think about? :tape:

pierce0415
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:18 PM
why is Jelena in rather than Dinara?

we all know Jelena is going to lose in 1R after stepping off the plane from Tokyo

bmxbandit
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:21 PM
^^^^and you know what because...?

zoguet
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Pfff Serena... I was kinda hoping she would play (although it seemed doubtfull since she didn't play the AO)
Apparently, keeping the topplayers on the commitmentlist as long as possible is a tactic used by every tournament(director). The commercials on belgian TV/radio are still mentioning Jen Capriati to play in Antwerp. It helps them selling tickets, for sure ;)... but I think it's kinda 'unfair' ... :shrug:

It's swindle...

SJW
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:49 PM
gawd, SOME SPECIFIC POSTER'S BS IS JUST GETTING TIRED. stop sitting at a computer all day just to come up with lame shit, you look like a fool.

anyway, hopefully Serena'll get better soon. i've missed her loads.:)

fleemke≥
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:50 PM
pfff Serena :sad: Well it would be strange if she came to Europe for one week ... well hope she's back on court soon!

Mr. Man
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:37 PM
gawd, SOME SPECIFIC POSTER'S BS IS JUST GETTING TIRED. stop sitting at a computer all day just to come up with lame shit, you look like a fool.
Well, that's where the wonderful ignore option comes in handy. :)

I'm not surprised she pulled out yet again of another tourny. I miss the hell out of you Serena :sad:. Pllleasee come back soon!

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:54 PM
this is so disappointing:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Serena, I can't help thinking you're afraid of Kimmie:p

Really, Serena afraid of Kim Clijsters?

With an 8-1 H2H... I don't think so!

SerenaSlam
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM
this is serena, she is very healthy and ready, but stroke wise and her game, she wants to step out there with it all together. i can't wait for the steam roller to get back in action. she wants to put no doubt in anyones mind that she is back and needs her spot at the top of peoples minds (not the rankings) that she is the best (although she has not left many peoples mind that she is w/out a doubt the best )

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:58 PM
this is serena, she is very healthy and ready, but stroke wise and her game, she wants to step out there with it all together. i can't wait for the steam roller to get back in action. she wants to put no doubt in anyones mind that she is back and needs her spot at the top of peoples minds (not the rankings) that she is the best (although she has not left many peoples mind that she is w/out a doubt the best )

Maybe not, but it's been so long I've started to forget what she looks like.

Freewoman33
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:28 AM
To the idiot who referred to power tenis and injuries, and bringing Martina H back, take a moment to think about what you said. Martina Hingis CANNOT play tennis today, even if she wanted to. Kim may end up like Hingis in a couple of years, if she doesn’t listen to her body.

I’d rather Venus and Serena pull out of tournaments and withdraw from matches because of injuries rather than worsen their injuries by playing. I’ll be happy if the play 10 tourneys a year and do well than crash out in the first or second round. As for the rankings, I don’t give a damn about that because they are much better than a lot of the players ranked above them. Not to disrespect or take anything away for the girls ranked above them, but we all know the facts.

Peace out!

New
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:17 AM
I'm no a fan of the williams sisters...but it's pretty depressing to have venus withdrawing and serena missing... the tour feels a bit weird without them...

not just them though..i want capriati to come back too!!!

pisces
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:37 AM
[B]New" thanks a lot.I needing that.

azza
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Oh the shock. :sad:

jenny161185
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I agree with barmaid bring back the wizard :)

Slumpsova
Feb 7th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Really, Serena afraid of Kim Clijsters?

With an 8-1 H2H... I don't think so!oh yes, think about the last time they met. she's afraid of the close match like that again for sure.

That's why she said "i wanna be in a championship form...blah...blah...blah"

:nerner:

CanadianBoy21
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:54 PM
oh yes, think about the last time they met. she's afraid of the close match like that again for sure.

That's why she said "i wanna be in a championship form...blah...blah...blah"

:nerner:
Last time they met Serena whipped her pretty badly. Last time they met was NOT the AO, it was in the Nasdaq semis I think, where Serena steamrolled her in two very easy sets. :nerner:

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:03 PM

They must have picked up this bad habit from Jen... :tape:

arcus
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:43 PM
the williams are so good and they are such a great tennis story....... they got so much attention, like roddick..........., so a ton of hype follows..
and thats fine, but if they dont play thats no good. all that gets talked about is that they're not hitting tennis balls, particularly on US TV. thats been the pattern for the last few years, such scant schedules, so few tournies, and rarely playing in the same event.

Now that they play so rarely the tour and the tournaments get hurt bad. Im not saying its their fault now, if they are really still injured (although in the past they skipped a lot when they were not injured and that did not support the tour so good).
Theyre fantastic, but its not like they are the only great players on tour now.
I wish the media particularly in the US focused more evenly on all of the top 10 in the womens and the mens game, not just the americans.

Kart
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Get well soon Serena :)

DemWilliamsGulls
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:30 AM
All im going to say is that i would rather see her back the way she left, than come back slacking. I don't think she wants what happened to Venus at the AO. Its a respectable decision.

Lucy
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:08 AM
I have a feeling that we won't be seeing her play anytime soon. :(
:bigcry::hysteric::tears::sobbing::crying2:

~RedRose~
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:11 AM
why is Jelena in rather than Dinara?

we all know Jelena is going to lose in 1R after stepping off the plane from Tokyo
Not likely cosidering she'd hav a Bye :rolleyes:

LUIS9
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:56 AM
I know this really wasnt too much of a surprise however it was quite schocking at the same time, i thought she'd be ready by now i mean the surgery took place quite a long time ago? Oh well i agree just hand over the title to Clijsters no Serena and no Mauresmo? That spells Kim Clijsters Champione du Paris Masters deux mille quatre, unless a huge upset occurs or Clijsters reinjures herself and comprimises her ankle.

Rothes
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Come on Patty, now Serena is out take the title!!! ;) :P

Get well Serena :)

SerialKiller#69
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Shocker?NOT...

She knew she's a sitting duck on clay.

sartrista7
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Or, more accurately, http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=102275 :o