PDA

View Full Version : objectively: is Maggie a better indoor player than Venus?

mexicotrip
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Maggie a better indoor player than Venus?
Their H2H tells me yes. What about other factors?

pigam
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:52 PM
No. Sorry. :shrug: :wavey:

Serendy Willick
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Venus is a better all court player than Maggie, thats for sure.

paellapan
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I agree with Lesly :)

mexicotrip
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I asked INDOORS

7~LV3
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:57 PM
I agree,

Serendy Willick
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:58 PM
I agree with Lesly :)

I'm not lesly.

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Have you guys ever seen Maggie play live?? I have, several times, I'm surprised that she wins on any surface. Indoors or not!! She has no shots, she hit's the ball so high over the net that it allows her apponents all kinds of time to return balls. She is almost never aggressive!! I've never seen her play Venus indoors though. What does she do indoors that's so different than any other place that she plays!!??

crazillo
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:06 PM
well, i think she wins bc of a "mix" of every kind of tennis.... flat shots, topspins, dropshots and defensive slices are in her game as well as offensive lobs and winners.... you never know what to expect, bc she can do everything with the ball when shes on. and thatr makes it so difficult for you to face maggie.

Midnite Surfer
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I really don't know. But Venus is a better player than Maggie....period.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:20 PM
It's close. The largest title played indoors is the Masters, which neither Maggie nor Venus has won. Maggie's best result in the QF, Venus a SF.

Maggie has 6 indoor titles to her name, and a handful of other RUPs.

Venus has .... I think 5. It's five if Oklahoma City is played indoors.

Maggie has been playing for many more years, too. I'd call it about even right now. Maggie makes a better case if she takes Tokyo. ;)

griffin
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I have, several times, I'm surprised that she wins on any surface. Indoors or not!!

And yet, she does. The NERVE ;)

I don't know if she's better overall than V indoors, but she certainly has figured out how to get to her.

7~LV3
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:25 PM
It's close. The largest title played indoors is the Masters, which neither Maggie nor Venus has won. Maggie's best result in the QF, Venus a SF.

Maggie has 6 indoor titles to her name, and a handful of other RUPs.

Venus has .... I think 5. It's five if Oklahoma City is played indoors.

Maggie has been playing for many more years, too. I'd call it about even right now. Maggie makes a better case if she takes Tokyo. ;)

Maggie has 6? what are those titles? Handful of RUPS indoors?? how many?

crazillo
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM
i think, she has these: chicago, zurich, moscow, pattaya, milan and one more i dont rememer

G-Ha
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Sure enough, Maggie has six indoor titles. She also has 5 indoor RUs...I'd say 5 is a handful. Hope this helps. :wavey:

mboyle
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:14 PM
I have seen Maggie play outdoors and indoors, and, for whatever reason, she is 1 million times better indoors (particularly on carpet) than outdoors. She goes for alot more on her shots, serves better, and volleys better. Venus doesn't understand how to move as well indoors, and just seems uncomfortable in general. So, while Venus is still the better technical player indoors, Maggie's mental edge and comfort make all the difference.

Diya
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Normally the Williamsphiles take the h2h to be the gospel truth while claiming a player is better than the other (on a particular surface) but here it seems like they think otherwise :lol: Venus may have pulled out at the prospect of another ass kicking ......too much to take for her big ego i guess :tape:

Infiniti2001
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:35 PM
This rottweiller is all over the damn place :tape: SHEESH!!!

crazillo
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:38 PM
well, maleeva is good on carpet and grass, on other surfaces willy is better... but pnly when both are on

7~LV3
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:09 PM
:Dthanks... i have always thought that she only won on 4, i thought the others were outdoors... so out of ten titles, she has won 6 indoors... she mustve loved it a lot...
Maleeva+Indoors=:worship: , but what happend last year ??

I guess when ms Venus regularly plays indoors, then she could really get use to it. Seems like she has not much interest in it at all...

bandabou
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Of course....but Maggie is better than MOST players indoors. Indoors Maggie is better than Venus. Cool.

jimbo mack
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:45 PM
maleeva's 6 indoors titles:

MOSCOW (when it was a small tourny) bt Sandra cecchini 7/5 6/1
ZURICH (tier 1) bt natasha zvereva 7/5 3/6 6/4

CHICAGO (tier 11) bt lisa raymond 7/5 7/6
MOSCOW (when it was a small tourny) bt elena makarova 6/4 6/2
OAKLAND (tier 11) bt ai sugiyama 6/3 6/4

MOSCOW (tier 1) bt lindsay davenport 5/7 6/3 7/6

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:42 AM

It's all listed in her bio at www.wtatour.com. Or you could take my word for it.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Or the rest of the board could come through with flying colours.

Doraemon
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:30 AM
The Maggie I saw yesterday was really good. She was VERY aggressive and dictating pre much every point against Ai. The only outdoor match I saw her play was at the Atlanta Game, against Kimiko Date. She wasn't that impressive.. n of course it was ages ago. When Maggie is on, it seems she's capable of beating everyone and Venus has been unlucky to face the inform Maggie every time they have faced indoors.

spencercarlos
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Maggie a better indoor player than Venus?
Their H2H tells me yes. What about other factors?No.
Venus Titles Indoors

Oklahoma City 98
Munich 98 (Compaq Grand Slam Cup)
Oklahoma City 99
Zurich 99
Paris 2002
Antwerp 2002
Antwerp 2003

More titles and better tournament wins than Maleeva.. What about other factors :rolleyes: .
Linda Ferrando beat Seles at the Usopen 1990, in their only meeting, that does not makes her a better player than Seles on hardcourt..
Same as Jo Durie who led Graf in their meetings on faster courts (3-0 grass and indoors), that sure does not make Jo Durie a better player than Graf on any surface, by any mean.

irma
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:25 AM
I would put my money on Venus anytime
Sure Maleeva plays better on indoor then on other surfaces but people act like she is the best indoor player out there. some even claimed that she had won an indoor slam (well she won 5 titles in 94/95 but didn't win the masters and the surface was carpet then.)
and about being the best now, well Kim already won 4 more indoor titles then Maleeva did in her whole career;)

Jericho
Feb 7th, 2004, 07:30 AM
It depends, if you mean against Venus indoors, then hell yeah...Maleeva kicked her ass all 3 times they played...

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 7th, 2004, 07:43 AM
No.
Venus Titles Indoors

Oklahoma City 98
Munich 98 (Compaq Grand Slam Cup)
Oklahoma City 99
Zurich 99
Paris 2002
Antwerp 2002
Antwerp 2003

More titles and better tournament wins than Maleeva.. What about other factors :rolleyes: .
Linda Ferrando beat Seles at the Usopen 1990, in their only meeting, that does not makes her a better player than Seles on hardcourt..
Same as Jo Durie who led Graf in their meetings on faster courts (3-0 grass and indoors), that sure does not make Jo Durie a better player than Graf on any surface, by any mean.

The Grand Slam Cup does not count.

hingis-seles
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:16 AM
I thought Oklahoma City is outdoors. Hmmm.....

jimbo mack
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:35 AM
the grandslam cup DOES count

oklahoma city was outdoors until 2001. thats when they changed it to indoors

the following year the oklahoma city tourny was cancelled and replaced by memphis

tennnisfannn
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Going by head in head indoors, I would say yes. Obviously Venus can play indoors since she already won a few titles there. We like to think Kim is one of the best indoor players indoors yet lost easliy to Venus in Antwerp last year after an amaing indoor run 2002. This says something about how well venus can adapt indoors but maggie obviously has the game to trouble Venus. I haven't seen any of their matches indoors but there are very few players outside the top who trouble venus consistently, and three losses here is a definite consistency.
This is one of those unusual h2h that don't make sense, kinda like maleeva vs conchita, seles vs hingis.

Greenout
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Ever seen tapes of Maggie circa 1994? She's an indoor Monster.
This is her best surface. Agreed about how she's electric jack rabbit
in doors and under the lights. It's as if she's not even the same
player outdoors rather than indoors.

crazillo
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:10 AM
and grass is the same like indoors...

skanky~skanketta
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:21 AM
hmmm...not sure...still, when it comes to indoors, i usually think of 4 names who are really good indoors:
1) kim
2) lindsay
3) dokic
4) maleeva

it seems that they like playing indoors and do better there than anywhere else.:shrug:

Greenout
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Mary Pierce has an outstanding indoor record. Chanda's pretty
handy indoors too. Myksina had a fantastic 2003 indoor season.

jimbo mack
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:23 AM
stevenson's best results in the last few years, have been on indoors.......... :tape: