PDA

View Full Version : Justine and Roger signal a new age in tennis...

Sam L
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:50 PM
... as this Australian Open was the first grand slam since 1998 Wimbledon that two players with one-handed backhands won the same slam. In 1998 Wimbledon, Novotna and Sampras did it.

Justine and Roger are both young and they have their entire careers ahead of them. Many have likened them to Steffi Graf and Pete Sampras respectively and I think that comparison is NOT too far from the truth.

The one-handed backhand is back and I think we're headed for a new age of dominance.

SJW
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:52 PM
this may sound ridiculous, but i think Roger Federer is better than Sampras...i know Pete has the records and the wimbledons etc etc etc, but Roger is THE best IMO.

i'll leave the steffi/justine one alone ;)

fleemke³
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:27 PM
I agree SJW imo Roger has the same serve and volley game as Pete but his baselinegame is so mucj better than Pete's ... and Pete was such a great player .. what can we expect from Roger :)

And I don't think I have to talk about Justine again :) I love the girls game and I love the comparisions with great Steffy :worship:

alfajeffster
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:10 PM
While it's terrific that two players with one-handed backhands won in Australia, the season's just starting, and I'd be surprised if the same thing happens at the French, especially on the men's side.

I like Justine Henin-Hardenne alot, but she's never going to be as physically imposing as Steffi Graf was. She'll probably have a great career by normal standards, say maybe 4 or 5 more majors, but 22? I don't think so.

Allez-H
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:18 PM
IMO,I think Roger is getting too much pressure.Don't get me wrong,I love the guy.He has an amazing game but leave those "next Sampras" comparasons behind.He's Roger Federer,and let him be Roger Federer.About Justine:I'm really happy that they don't make too many comparasons between her and Steffi.It's far to early to conclude anything.She's doing a great job being Justine Henin-Hardenne,and I hope she'll stay that way.She's only 21 and she won allready 3 Slams,which is great.We should see things step by step.I've read an interview of her,when she was just 16 and she says:"I don't want to play or immitate anyones game.I want to play my own game,I want to be known as Justine and not as a Steffi/Martina/... immitator".I'm sure she still feels the same.But I think it's flattering both Roger and Justine to be compared with their idols.

bandabou
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Roger and Pete?! Maybe....Roger DOES make the things look easy.

Justine and Steffi?! :haha: :rolls: Justine´s good, but she isn´t THAT good. Not even the most ardent Justine fan can come out and say that Justine´s best is the best there´s out there. She´s no.1, tough, etc....but she CAN be beaten by a handful players on any given day.

Allez-H
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Roger and Pete?! Maybe....Roger DOES make the things look easy.

Justine and Steffi?! :haha: :rolls: Justine´s good, but she isn´t THAT good. Not even the most ardent Justine fan can come out and say that Justine´s best is the best there´s out there. She´s no.1, tough, etc....but she CAN be beaten by a handful players on any given day.
She's 21 and she's getting better and better.She says that she want's to have a long career if her body allows it.I think that if she stays injury-free,she can be amongst the best ever.But to start and compare her to Steffi is far to early.But never say never ;)

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:46 PM
I don't like Roger! Maybe it's because I am American and tend to favor the American players over others. However; The talent of Roger is ridiculous! He's the only person in the mens game who can execute every shot in the book! Amazing!! The comparison to Pete is justified, but if Roger can continue like this, I think that he will be better than Pete, and it will not require winning 10 wimbledon titles. Justine is a great player, but the only thing she has in common with Steffi is that they both hit with a one-handed backhand. Steffi was able to be efective with that backhand on "all surfaces" against the top players. Justine's backhand is only effective against the top players on clay, and only because clay allows her more time to set up for each shot!!! Steffi was an all-courter, Justine is not. The comparison to Steffi is at best stupid. Nice try though!! I love how prematurely a players get thrown up there with the greatests of all time. No one is buying it though. I can think of 5 players who's backhands are better than Justine's.Venus and Lindsay to name a few, and when she is on MoMo will out hit Justine in a backhand rally. Just because her backhand is "beautiful" to watch, does not make it a great one!! Roger deserves every ounce of credit that he gets, but I wonder how long it will take before people start hating him because he "wins too much" !!??

pigam
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Justine's backhand is only effective against the top players on clay, and only because clay allows her more time to set up for each shot!!! Steffi was an all-courter, Justine is not.
Allow me to say that this is absolutely ridiculous... :)
She reached the final of ALL 4 GS and won 3 of them. If shé isn't an allcourter, than who is :confused:

Knizzle
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Roger and Pete aren't alike IMHO. Roger has better groundies than Pete and can win from the baseline as well as being comfortable at the net. Justine and Steffi aren't even close to being the same kind of player. Who makes up these comparisons anyway??

Allez-H
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:52 PM
I don't like Roger! Maybe it's because I am American and tend to favor the American players over others. However; The talent of Roger is ridiculous! He's the only person in the mens game who can execute every shot in the book! Amazing!! The comparison to Pete is justified, but if Roger can continue like this, I think that he will be better than Pete, and it will not require winning 10 wimbledon titles. Justine is a great player, but the only thing she has in common with Steffi is that they both hit with a one-handed backhand. Steffi was able to be efective with that backhand on "all surfaces" against the top players. Justine's backhand is only effective against the top players on clay, and only because clay allows her more time to set up for each shot!!! Steffi was an all-courter, Justine is not. The comparison to Steffi is at best stupid. Nice try though!! I love how prematurely a players get thrown up there with the greatests of all time. No one is buying it though. I can think of 5 players who's backhands are better than Justine's.Venus and Lindsay to name a few, and when she is on MoMo will out hit Justine in a backhand rally. Just because her backhand is "beautiful" to watch, does not make it a great one!! Roger deserves every ounce of credit that he gets, but I wonder how long it will take before people start hating him because he "wins too much" !!??
Ahum,not an all-courter.You call 3 different GS-titles and a final played on the other not all-court.Plus titles on every single surface :rolleyes: Yeah,Justine aint an all-courter that's for sure.

Havok
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:42 PM
:yawn: just because 2 players on the respective tennis tours are on the top and have one handed backhands doesn't singify a new generation.

tennisluver99
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Now watch the last 3 slams of the year will be won by two-handed backhand players on the women's side.

harloo
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Roger is the best all around player that I have ever seen. Pete was basically only serve and volley. Pete was mentally fit game wise for so long that he dominated for so long. I do think Roger is a better all around player than Pete, but he has yet to become a dominate #1 like Pete so Pete is still greater.

As far as comparing Justine to Steffi. IMO, noone can touch Steffi at this point.

mboyle
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Martina N. can (in response to post above me.)

But Justine?:eek: Nooooooooooooooo. I think she's really REALLY good, but she is much more of the Mandliklova type. Serena is the real Steffi (metaphorically).

bandabou
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:56 PM
I think too that as far as being dominating, Serena´s closer to Steffi than Justine´s ever gonna be. Don´t think that even for how good Justine´s been since the Williamses haven´t been on tour, that she got to the level of Serena or even Venus during their best days. If you saw the average games lost per tournament victories Serena had during her ´02/ ´03 days....Justine doesn´t even come close.

Roger, Roger...as far as talent, the best player I´ve EVER seen play. Now it seems that he´s ready to show us what that talent can do. If he stays healthy and focused, man....those 14 slams of Pete suddenly could look less almighty.

Crazy_Fool
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:23 PM
The one-handed backhand does look amazing but honestly just cos a couple of players one the same slam doesnt mean we are moving on to a different era. If Ferrero and Serena win RG, does that mean another era has started.

Roger and Justine are great players but neither will dominate like Graf or Sampras simply cos i just dont think either have the minds.

TennisHack
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:24 AM
:haha: if anyone thinks 1 man is going to rule the men's tour. Someone hasn't been paying attention ;) And, just because JHH & Fed won the AO doesn't mean that suddenly all the good one-handed backhanded players will rise to the top or anything. Both players got to the top on more than just that one shot.

Federer -- it will be interesting to see how his civil service interferes with his career. If I read the article correctly, he will be doing this until his 30 :eek: Granted, it's not much (5 days a year, and I'm sure he's going to make some kids' DECADE) but it will be interesting nonetheless.

Civil service

World number one Roger Federer has agreed to do his Swiss national service as a teacher, according to Friday's Blick newspaper. Under a special programme devised with the government, the 22-year-old Australian Open and Wimbledon champion will train as a sports teacher, the tabloid reported.

Swiss citizens have to undergo national service either with the country's militia army or in its civil defence forces.
http://www.eurosport.com/imgbk/TENNIS/ALL/MD-I128446.jpg Within the next three years, Federer will do a five-day basic training course and then a five-day course to become a teacher. After that, he will teach for five days a year.

Those starting national service from this year will finish when they are 30.

"In this way he combines civil defence and training," his mother and Lynette Federer told Blick.

"We have made it possible for him to decide when he wants to come," said Marcus Mueller, head of military and civilian service in Federer's home region of Basel.

"We expect him to do his duty."

http://www.eurosport.com/img3/shim.gifEurosport - fp 06/02/2004

Greenout
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:19 AM
My turn. It's too early to say anything about these 2 just yet.
We do know and can say that the Sampras comparisons are coming
quick and fast for Roger because he won WIMBLEDON. He's got an
all court game; but reminds me more of Martina Hingis than Pete.
Sampras had all the shots; but he's volleys weren't as flashy as Rogers.
Roger's ground strokes from the back court are better than Pete's. Sampras
never choked or tanked. Roger's taneked alot of matches prior to WIMBLEDON.
Pete's 1st serve and 2nd serve were his vital weapons. The placement
was immaculate.

Justine's only similarity to Steffi is her desire, and utter complete confidence.
The playing styles have nothing to do with each other. Steffi was all forehand,
all day long. She ran around the backhand and did dinky slices. There wasn't
much net rushing or volleys. It was all backcourt rallies with immaculate
aces and decent placed 2nd serves. Justine's 300% navy seals like physical
regime is Steffi-ish. Both players are/were willing to be the WTA contest
machine and not play the popularity game. Justine's self preservation and
complete dedication to winning is Steffi-ish. I do agree that Serena's playing
style is more akin to Steffi than Justine. NRR-DEN's playing style is more
a combination of styles Hingis, Sabatini, Venus, Jana and Steffi.
The reason Steffi's name comes up for Justine is because she named
Steffi as the type of person/star she want's to be known as. Hingis was
never called the "new Steffi" because she didn't like Steffi and even went as far
to call Steffi "old". Hingis claimed not to have grown up watching or
being interested in Steffi or Monica. Where as Venus and Serena have
admitted to watching Steffi, Monica and Jenn play in their early pre tour
days.