PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a few tennis terms?

henree
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:23 AM
I hear commentators throw the word PACE around often. What does it
mean?
Also I hear a lot of times people say Davenport hits a HEAVY
ball. What does that mean?
Why do people say that hitting the ball with more spin can keep the
ball from going out of bounds as opposed to hitting a flat ball?
What constitutes a good groundstroke? Some people around this board
often compliment players by saying that he or she have "good
groundstrokes"...

Trent
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Pace - meaning speed I assume. So the pace of the ball would be how hard it is hit.
Hitting a heavy ball, would that be with lots of topspin? I think it's something like that.

Hitting a ball with topspin allows the player to hit the ball harder, because with topspin the ball drops into the court much easier (instead of just traveling straight in the air, it dips before it lands).

Good grandstrokes are generally those that are consistant, powerful, and with great placement.

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Trent = a tennis encyclopedia :lol: :bigwave:

Pamela Shriver
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Need help with a few tennis terms?
Yeah I could do with a lot of help. I'm kinda very confused about a lot of things to do with tennis to be honest.

alfajeffster
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Pace is the speed of the ball.

A player who hits a heavy ball, hits with extreme pace and depth. Davenport hits a very heavy ball, and Boris Becker used to as well.

Andy T
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah I could do with a lot of help. I'm kinda very confused about a lot of things to do with tennis to be honest.

...especially concerning groundstrokes, Pam, if I remember correctly. Topspin wasn't in your coach's dictionary was it? You did get your head around pace for the volleys, though, but it stopped there.
:kiss:

tennnisfannn
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Top spin is also produced by the racket making contact with the ball in an upward motion (or downward like in a backspin drop shot) unlike when one hits the ball almost from a sideward motion.

Pamela Shriver
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:33 PM
...especially concerning groundstrokes, Pam, if I remember correctly. Topspin wasn't in your coach's dictionary was it? You did get your head around pace for the volleys, though, but it stopped there.
:kiss:
Winning wasn't in my dictionary either....

TennisLurker
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Pam, Who taught you how to hit your forehand?

esquímaux
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:17 PM

:lol:

Pamela Shriver
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:54 PM
A what sorry?? Pass the dictionary!

Andy T
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Now now Pam, remember you did beat "Steffi at the Garden" and "Martina at the Open", as you often remind us when you Pammentate. You're too hard on yourself!

Pamela Shriver
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Now now Pam, remember you did beat "Steffi at the Garden" and "Martina at the Open", as you often remind us when you Pammentate. You're too hard on yourself!
Jeepers how could I forget!? Those vids run continuously on TV screen walls throughout my giraffic mansion.

joaco
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:31 PM
mean?
groundstrokes"...
With a lot of PACE means that players hits consistently hard, with a good rhythm.
When you hit HEAVY means that you transfer all your weight on the ball when you hit. This usually comes as a form of topspin which complicates much more the opponent cause it's not only that the balls comes fast, but HEAVY.

faste5683
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:14 PM
mean?
groundstrokes"...

Pace generally equates to a certain level of speed. You can play against people who hit with a lot of pace (fast) or very little pace (slow.) Strategy wise, if you play someone who enjoys playing against pace (fast), you might to choose to hit with less *pace* to throw them off their game.

A "heavy ball" almost always indicates the amount of spin on the ball. Some of the people I play against hit with so much topspin that there's a jarring blow upon impact - a heavy ball. There are also a few players, such as Serena and Lindsay, who hit with a modicum of topspin, yet are so strong that the ball feels heavy to their opponents. On the men's side, Safin would be a good example.

Why does topspin keep the ball from going out of bounds? There is more friction (air) on the top of the ball than on the bottom. This causes pressure which causes the ball to slow down and drop more quickly to the ground. The more topspin you create off your racket, the quicker the ball dips towards the ground.

The ideal would be that if you had an opening, you would hit a heavy ball with pace,
ensuring that the ball will get towards the target quickly, yet possess enough spin to keep the ball in bounds.

:wavey: