PDA

View Full Version : Venus pulls out of Tokyo with a leg injury

Knizzle
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:32 AM
:sad:

Get well for Antwerp Venus!!

The tournament doctor advised her not to play.

Venus Forever
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:32 AM
God, the injuries continue. :sad:

Couver
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Venus :sad:

Greenout
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Oh Fu*k! Not again. Too bad. At least I'll get to see her on TV tonight
with the delayed telecast of the HK Watson's exhibition.

Get well to defend your Diamond Stick in Antwerp.

kyk710
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Venus :sad: I wanted Chanda to win, but not like this. Get well and defend your title in Antwerp, Venus!

tennnisfannn
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:36 AM
wasn't chanda also struggling with injury. She will be glad for another day's rest.

tennisIlove09
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I can't even speak, I'm so upset. I don't know how much more I can take. This is just terrible.

BTW: I'm saving the haters some time here. Venus pulled out because Maggie won ;)

Couver
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:38 AM
The website still has the match on. Could we be missinformed? I have to hope so.

Knizzle
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:39 AM
The website still has the match on. Could we be missinformed? I have to hope so.

No, it's true, the website has a doubles match up.

Couver
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Ugh :sad: poor girl can't catch a break!

Jan
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Hi there, as a fan of Lindsay Davenport I know how hard it is to take when your fave pulls out of a tourney because of yet another injury. Linds has had her share of this so I do sympathise with Venus fans. Hope you get fit again soon Venus. It was good to have you back.

:)

Freewoman33
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Damn! Get well soon Venus. I hope it's not too serious.

Brian Stewart
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:45 AM
What sort of a leg injury? Are there any specifics? Hopefully it's just a "better rest it a couple of days to be safe" thing. Awaiting details and wishing Venus the best. It may be a case of "lose the battle, win the war". With Venus' schedule so packed, an extra couple of days break here may prevent her from getting a serious injury.

Juju #1
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:46 AM
:sad: Venus: Get well soon, tennis needs you...

Rothes
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Venus, Get Well and recover :)

skanky~skanketta
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:47 AM
WTF?????????????this fucking sucks for venus!jus when she was getting back on track!:mad: :mad: :mad:

venus!:sad:

Knizzle
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:49 AM
WTF?????????????this fucking sucks for venus!jus when she was getting back on track!:mad: :mad: :mad:

venus!:sad:

My heart sank when Seiya told me, then he went silent which made me go crazy. I didn't want to believe it, but it's true.

tennisIlove09
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:51 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Kabezya
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:00 AM
I hope she gets better. Health on the tour is a big deal and Venus needs to stay healthy in order to be successful.

LucasArg
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:03 AM
I can't believe it! :sad:

katrientje
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:07 AM
:-((

vs1
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I'm in shock! :sad: Hope this is one of those injuries that don't take too long to recover from. :sad: She's got antwerp to defend. :sad:

Anyhow, good luck to the remaining girls.

SJW
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:23 AM
poor girl :sad:

fleemke³
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Vanus :sad: Get well for Antwerp!

jimbo mack
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:08 AM
she has an abdominable leg injury. i dont know much about these injuries- can they heal in a short time?

i really wanted to see her take the gold racquet in antwerp

esquímaux
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Venus :sad: I wanted Chanda to win, but not like this. Get well and defend your title in Antwerp, Venus!
yeah, Vee has got to get that diamond encrusted racquet :eek:! Also, Venus withdrew with a "right lower leg muscle strain" Nothing to bad? :shrug:

AjdeNate!
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Venus Williams pulls out of Pan Pacific OpenBy JIM ARMSTRONG, Associated Press Writer
February 6, 2004

TOKYO (AP) -- Top-seeded Venus Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/87/) withdrew from her quarterfinal match against Chanda Rubin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/90/) in the Pan Pacific Open on Friday because of an injured leg.

``I originally had the problem during the Australian Open,'' Williams said. ``I consulted with the doctor and there is nothing I can do. I really wish things could be different, but they aren't.''

Williams, who lost to fellow American Lisa Raymond (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/102/) last month in the third round of the Australian Open, looked to be in top form Thursday when she easily beat Japan's Saori Obata (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/77/) 6-3, 6-4 in her first match of the tournament.

But Williams said she was in pain.

``The pain is in the right leg below the knee,'' she said. ``Basically, it makes it hard to move and is painful when I put weight on it.''

In the Australian Open, Williams returned from a six-month absence due to recurring abdominal muscle problems.

Defending champion Lindsay Davenport (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/93/) of the United States looked healthy Friday and overwhelmed Slovakia's Daniela Hantuchova (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/99/) to advance to the semifinals.

Davenport, seeded second, defeated eighth-seeded Hantuchova 6-2, 6-2 to set up a meeting with Jelena Dokic (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/100/) of Serbia and Montenegro in Saturday's semifinals.

``This is probably the best match I've played so far this year,'' Davenport said. ``My game revolves around being positive and shot selection, and I was able to do that today.''

Davenport is looking for her fourth title at this tournament. She also won in 1998 and 2001.

Davenport, who lost in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open to eventual champion Justine Henin-Hardenne (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/319/), was down 40-15 in the first game of the second set but came back to break serve and take control.

``I feel that if I hit my shots well there's not a lot the other player can do,'' Davenport said. ``I just try not to let the other player dictate the rally.'' The 2000 Australian Open champion had surgery on her foot last October and made her comeback at the Hopman Cup last month. Earlier, seventh-seeded Dokic cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Tatiana Panova (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/53/) of Russia.

cool bird
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Get well soon Venus

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Poor Venus. Get better, goil.

Sam L
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:42 AM
This is sad. Just wish, she'd rid the injuries and play some tennis! :sad:

lee station
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Get well soon, Venus!!!

kim4eva
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM
get well soon :sad:

Mariangelina
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Poor Venus :sad: Is she trying to imitate Momo or something? I really hope she takes the time to heal properly and isn't out for months and months like with the abdominal strain. :crying2: I'm scared Amélie is going to come back to the Open Gaz when she's not ready, and hopefully Venus won't do a similar stupid thing :( Sometimes I think Henin, much as I like her, is #1 simply because despite all the cramping, etc. she never gets anything that takes her out for a long time.

When will the "WTA-tards" realise the season is too long for the players? :fiery: Maybe when 2/3 of the top 10 is injured and it wrecks a Slam? Oh, wait...

paellapan
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:20 AM
:( Sometimes I think Henin, much as I like her, is #1 simply because despite all the cramping, etc. she never gets anything that takes her out for a long time.

What a weird thought :confused:
doesn't sound much like you like her much :rolleyes:

especially when it's stated in a "get well soon-thread" for Venus

btw, get well soon Venus ! :)

Lady
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:21 AM
This is so sad :sad: I was so happy that she's finally back :(

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:22 AM
I don't think we can blame the length of the season for the problems that Venus and dear, lovely Amelie suffer. They are actually two players who are sensible enough to pace the number of tournaments that they enter. They both just seem prone to injury.

Leo_DFP
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:48 AM
:sad: That really sucks. I hope she recovers soon, in time for Antwerp.

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:49 AM
before her match.. i dreamt that she would lose 3-6 7-6(4) 6-7(1).. it felt so real, i was kinda scared to go to the site... and damn she did lose... I think, even though she played... she would still have lost

anyways, how serious is this leg injury thing?? she said that she like had it like since Australian Open, thats like a weeks rest already... for her...

anyways.. get well soon...

Experimentee
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Oh no :sad:
I hope its not as serious as that abdominal injury and that she'll be ok soon :(

per4ever
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:34 PM
please get better before the Antwerp tournament Venus!

starr
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Here's the Reuters' article.

TOKYO (Reuters) - Venus Williams suffered a new injury blow on Friday when she was forced to pull out of the Pan Pacific Open with a strained leg muscle, giving beleaguered organizers another headache.

The former world number one, who was playing only her second tournament since being sidelined for six months with an abdominal injury, withdrew before her quarterfinal with fellow American Chanda Rubin.

Tournament organizers were already reeling after a female spectator fell four meters from a temporary stand after slipping through a loose floorboard and had to be taken to hospital on Thursday.

"Basically, I originally had the issue in Australia," said a dejected Williams, upset in the third round of the Australian Open last month in her return from injury.

"Today, it was very difficult for me in practice to move or play in any way, shape or form that was normal for me. It's the lower right leg, below the knee and basically, it's hard to move."

Williams was beaten by compatriot Lisa Raymond in Melbourne in her third match since losing to younger sister Serena in last year's Wimbledon final.

The 23-year-old had also felt a twinge during her only match in Tokyo, a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Japan's Saori Obata on Thursday.

"It's not really funny. I was getting various treatments from the tournament doctor but things just didn't click for me," said Venus.

Bероника
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:54 PM
This really sucks.:sad:

Get well soon,Venus!!!:kiss:

Justinefan
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:54 PM
I am usually for Venus, but come on!! She injured it at the Aussie Open?? She looked fine at the Aussie Open apart from the obvious 6 month absense quirks.. where is this random knee injury coming from now?

lizchris
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:06 PM
I am usually for Venus, but come on!! She injured it at the Aussie Open?? She looked fine at the Aussie Open apart from the obvious 6 month absense quirks.. where is this random knee injury coming from now?
Did it ever occur to you that Rebound Ace may have cuased the injury? That's what I think considering all of the other withdrawls from that tournament.

SJW
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:08 PM
she had tape on it in the AO :rolleyes:

LucasArg
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:27 PM
I read yesterday she was feeling great , free of injuries, but I think now that was not true.

It is really sad to see her out of a tournament again. I really hope she can play in Antwerp.

Serendy Willick
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:27 PM
I betcha all of the haters are just fucking giddy.

lizchris
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I read yesterday she was feeling great , free of injuries, but I think now that was not true.

It is really sad to see her out of a tournament again. I really hope she can play in Antwerp.
She said on her website that she expects to play Antwerp. She is just frustrated that she couldn't take more time to let the injury heal.

lee station
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:05 PM
she had tape on it in the AO :rolleyes:Yes, there's a pic from the AO and she has tape on her right leg.
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20040124/all/l1028415.jpg

Get well soon, Venus !!!!!!!! :smooch:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20040120/mdf451342.jpg :smooch:

Nemesis
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Venus :sad: Get well soon!

Serendy Willick
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:03 PM

If you bothered to fucking read, she injured her ankle during her first round against Harkleroad and has had problems with it ever since. So shut the fuck up and go back to cheering on the cheater.

pigam
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:11 PM
:( :sad: No Venus!!
I paid some expensive tickets to see you play in Antwerp, Venus. Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase get better!!
Focus, venus focus... you know what's waiting for you ... http://www.sport.be/images/inthepicture/pdga.jpg
;)

LUIS9
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Wow this is schocker indeed? So she sustained this injury at the aussie and still decided to play here? I dont get it? if she knew why did she play then? Oh well poor Venus i really also thought she was back for good, but i guess, who knows? Antwerp is only a week away so if its best for her not to play i guess she'l have to wait another year to take that diamond racket? The Wta tour needs a Venus on tour because its like the fields keep getting worse and worse hopefuly Serena can come back healthy and play in Paris? Is she playing?

darrinbaker00
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM
BTW: I'm saving the haters some time here. Venus pulled out because Maggie won ;)
What? Venus is afraid to play Maggie Maleeva indoors? NOOOOO!! Well, maybe.....OK, she is afraid. So what? ;)

fammmmedspin
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:18 PM
But Williams said she was in pain.

``The pain is in the right leg below the knee,'' she said. ``Basically, it makes it hard to move and is painful when I put weight on it.''
Is this the same leg injury she has been putting the tape under her knee for for years or a new one? if it is the old one and still causes he pain its easy to see why her form has suffered and she has had so much time off injured?

Mariangelina
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Sorry, my post didn't make a lot of sense. I was :fiery: about three-quarters of the top ten carrying an injury. No offense was meant by the Justine comment- she just hasn't been out for months. I was trying to suggest Venus and Serena would probably be at/closer to the top of the game if they'd been able to rebound quickly.

1jackson2001
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:46 AM
I read about this too. So sad. Hopefully she'll recover asap. Defend Antwerp and win that special racket, Vee.

Tplayer
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:26 AM
I think Venus is faking her injury to avoid suffering another humiliating loss. Her first round win was not very impressive and she simply doesn’t want to risk another defeat!

LindsayRocks89
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:32 AM
:sad: get well soon vee, and go and win that diamond racquet and show the belgians who is better :worship:

SerialKiller#69
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:59 AM
I hope she's not thinking of accompanying her sister in her French Open absence.