PDA

View Full Version : If special seeding is awarded to both Williams sisters, Monica Seles should get one!

Professional_Pro
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:47 AM
i think the average ranking Monica receives should be somewhere around 10,
so u guys think she will get that special ranking

faboozadoo15
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:10 AM
if she does, it would be 18 because that was what it was after she played the french open.

of course i would like to see her get one... but i'm a fan of hers and quite biased. i know it's cliche, but tennis owes her a good year. also, i think she would deserve it just like any other player who gets one. she's been out for so long and was still ranked pretty highly while playing a few events injured.

either way-- GO MONICA

AjdeNate!
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:17 AM
I haven't heard 100% if the WTA will do... but surely common sense says they will. And it should be 18.

Knizzle
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:22 AM
I haven't heard 100% if the WTA will do... but surely common sense says they will. And it should be 18.

Her ranking would be 18, but her protected seeding will probably be higher.

esquímaux
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:49 AM
who is contesting that Seles shouldn't get a special seeding? :shrug:

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:49 AM
I really don't think they should give Seles a special seeding. IR yes, SS no.

disposablehero
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:50 AM
I can't even talk about Monica anymore. It makes me sick the way she is treated. Like at AO, when they were talking about dominant players. Court, King, Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Hingis, Serena Williams. Those were all the names they mentioned. I'm not going to comment further on the matter because I am a bit depressed about other things tonight and would sound shockingly violent if I commented further on how the tennis world treats Monica. I can't believe for years now her legacy has been glossed over. It's like the fucking commentators (most of whom had to PLAY her in the early 90's) CAN'T FUCKING REMEMBER HOW IT USED TO BE.

Volcana
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:55 AM
i think the average ranking Monica receives should be somewhere around 10, so u guys think she will get that special ranking
If you look at all the good it did Venus, do you REALLY want her to get one?

Professional_Pro
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:00 AM
If you look at all the good it did Venus, do you REALLY want her to get one?
Venus couldnt care less, but for Monica, she needs it, she is not some gal in still in her prime, she needs those byes to cut down her match #'s, if WTA should award any, or give recommendations, Monica should be the one.

faboozadoo15
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:11 AM
I can't even talk about Monica anymore. It makes me sick the way she is treated. Like at AO, when they were talking about dominant players. Court, King, Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Hingis, Serena Williams. Those were all the names they mentioned. I'm not going to comment further on the matter because I am a bit depressed about other things tonight and would sound shockingly violent if I commented further on how the tennis world treats Monica. I can't believe for years now her legacy has been glossed over. It's like the fucking commentators (most of whom had to PLAY her in the early 90's) CAN'T FUCKING REMEMBER HOW IT USED TO BE.
i agree. mal really snubbed her. he talked about women who have held 3 grand slams at one time-- nav, chrissy, steffi, serena, henin... and he added venus and didn't mention monica... but o well. i moved on. i just thought it was ridiculous that he forgot someone who held 3 slams TWO YEARS IN A ROW. but we all know that he's just jealous and well a moron!

what's the point of giving her a special ranking without giving her a special seeding??? she's gold exempt, so she can get into any event she wants to for a while without any ranking whatsoever.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:22 AM
i agree. mal really snubbed her. he talked about women who have held 3 grand slams at one time-- nav, chrissy, steffi, serena, henin... and he added venus and didn't mention monica... but o well. i moved on. i just thought it was ridiculous that he forgot someone who held 3 slams TWO YEARS IN A ROW. but we all know that he's just jealous and well a moron!

what's the point of giving her a special ranking without giving her a special seeding??? she's gold exempt, so she can get into any event she wants to for a while without any ranking whatsoever.

Well... the purpose would be entry. I'm not sure being a gold exempt covers you for entry if your ranking sails out of the top 100. Kournikova would've been a gold exempt, but without a WC she wouldn't be able to play tour events this year, not with her ranking. Am I wrong?

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Anyway, I'm a firm believer that players should return with an IR for entry, but no selective seeding. If they are truly back where they were when they left, they'll do fine. If not, they won't, but at least they won't leave a massive hole in the draw ala Venus in Oz.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:24 AM
One question.

Has the ATP ever granted a special seeding? If so, when was the last time?

I'm not talking about Wimbledon selective seedings, btw.

Andrew.
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Wasn't there an article a few moths ago where Monica said she would be back and the tour was giving her a special seeding? I remember that because it said that her real ranking would be out of the top 200 and I strarted crying....:sad:

jimbo mack
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:14 PM
i think at her next granslam back, she should be seeded 16

that seems fair and square

Spirit
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Anyway, I'm a firm believer that players should return with an IR for entry, but no selective seeding. If they are truly back where they were when they left, they'll do fine. If not, they won't, but at least they won't leave a massive hole in the draw ala Venus in Oz.
With no selective seeding, Monica has the potential to take out a seed early in a tournament, something organizers hate because it messes with a tournament's succe$$. Wouldn't they seed her for that reason alone?

alfajeffster
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Is she ever going to play again?

Volcana
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Remember, WTA tournament organizers don't have the leeway ITF tournaments do to move players around in the seeding. I THINK Monica will be be seeded as if she's #18 for 8 tournaments of her choosing.

*JR*
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:17 PM
This is the ONE case where I think they should bend the rules if necessary. (Because of the way Monica got screwed ova after Hamburg '93 re. her ranking).

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:14 PM
One question.

Has the ATP ever granted a special seeding? If so, when was the last time?

I'm not talking about Wimbledon selective seedings, btw.

They gave to Marat, but he didnt accept it, check his interviews..

Professional_Pro
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:13 PM
i didnt know that lol........:) but good decision coz what a drama he caused:)
wonder if they did the same thing to Kuerten too

Veritas
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:11 PM
I hope monica gets a special seeding as well! when you thing about it, there's no solid reason why she shouldn't get one for the next GS she participates in.

was monica ranked 18 after her RG loss? I though it was 13, then dropped to 16? :confused:

rated_next
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:13 PM
How about Sandrine? and Anne? and Tatiana P?

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:18 PM
With no selective seeding, Monica has the potential to take out a seed early in a tournament, something organizers hate because it messes with a tournament's succe$$. Wouldn't they seed her for that reason alone?

No.

Philip
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:20 PM
people talking about how monica isnt mentioned with these dominant players really shouldnt get themselves worked up. monicas record speaks for itself and really it doesnt need a mention. everyone knows monica was the best tennis player at one point, mentioned or not, everyone knows she will always be one of the best tennis players :)

As for the special seeding... i would like to see her get one, but if she doesnt, its not the end of the world, monica will always come back strong :)

:worship:

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:22 PM
This is the ONE case where I think they should bend the rules if necessary. (Because of the way Monica got screwed ova after Hamburg '93 re. her ranking).

How did she got screwed? She was co-#1 ranked. She could not have gotten a better seeding.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:22 PM

What ranking were they proposing to Marat?

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:24 PM
I hope monica gets a special seeding as well! when you thing about it, there's no solid reason why she shouldn't get one for the next GS she participates in.

was monica ranked 18 after her RG loss? I though it was 13, then dropped to 16? :confused:

Apparently it was #18. But you know it doesn't matter what she went into her last event ranked. It's what she left with.

Veritas
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Apparently it was #18. But you know it doesn't matter what she went into her last event ranked. It's what she left with.

ok, thanks! at least #18's better than what her ranking's gone to now.

disposablehero
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:48 PM
I felt the same way until Lindsay got one. Then I felt that whether it was right or not, other players of similar stature like Monica and the Williams now had to recieve the same treatment.

disposablehero
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:50 PM
How did she got screwed? She was co-#1 ranked. She could not have gotten a better seeding.
It took over 2 years to get the players to agree to this, and it finally only happened because the recently-retired Navratilova pushed HARD for it.

hewittrok
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:52 PM
I think she will just becasue she's Monica and many people like her.

Malin
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:04 AM
That's monica's own fault, she has runied her record and legacy by coming back to the game half-heartedly. She hasn't been the same player and that has a lot to do with her lack of desire to be the best. Her losses over the last few years have been bad and have made her record look worse.

hewittrok
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:07 AM
That's monica's own fault, she has runied her record and legacy by coming back to the game half-heartedly. She hasn't been the same player and that has a lot to do with her lack of desire to be the best. Her losses over the last few years have been bad and have made her record look worse.But atlest she still wants to compete and thats always good.

*JR*
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Yeah, but that was done grudgingly (aka in a humiliating way). I think Arantxa was the only "major player" who came out For Full restoration of her Rank Right away?

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:20 AM
There needs to be some consistency with these special seedings. Either set a rule and stick to it consistently, or scrap it. I say scrap it (from an announced prospective date such as the beginning of 2005).

Monica clearly deserves an injury ranking.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:29 AM
I felt the same way until Lindsay got one. Then I felt that whether it was right or not, other players of similar stature like Monica and the Williams now had to recieve the same treatment.

They should not have given one to Lindsay or the sisters.

But I don't think they awarded Lindsay the ranking based on her stature. I think they awarded it to her based on her being #1 last she played. Same with Serena. Venus was #4. Monica #18 ....

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:30 AM
It took over 2 years to get the players to agree to this, and it finally only happened because the recently-retired Navratilova pushed HARD for it.

But it did happen, so I don't see a screw-job.

I thought what the players did not agree to was freezing Seles' ranking. I wasn't aware they had any influence in the decision on what to award her upon her 1995 return.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Yeah, but that was done grudgingly (aka in a humiliating way). I think Arantxa was the only "major player" who came out For Full restoration of her Rank Right away?

Well, see my last post. Did the players have a SAY in giving Seles the co-ranking or were they simply sounding off about it?