PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova: "One of the coolest girls in America"!

Pages : [1] 2

Keith17
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Since we have so many Shyperova fans here in Bovina's Herd... I thought I'd make this thread to accomodate them.

Masha just sucked and losted to noted stickgirl, Daniela Hantuchova, 7-6 6-1.

Please note that this is the same Hantuchova that will be out of the Top 50 shortly, and has lost in the early rounds of every tournament in the past 9 months.

Woe is Masha.

Memphis is next... so Maria can beat up on weaker competition again, and her greatness will truly be shown.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 4th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Keith u related to Bandabou ???
cos you're spiteful about every Russian girl

Keith17
Feb 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I'm not spiteful of every Russian girl.

Before we post in Bovina's Herd, we should try to read more in this forum and learn more about Elena and the fine group of posters we have here.

GrahamD
Feb 4th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Keith u related to Bandabou ???
cos you're spiteful about every Russian girl
:lol: :haha:

He's spiteful about everyone. He's only been on this board barely a month and has spouted nothing but anger and hatred. The sooner he gets banned the better because this is not the type of moronic idiot that is welcome here. If he can't show respect here for any player and their fans then he should just sod off to some football messageboard where he can vent his anger and hatred with others like him.

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:32 PM
There is nothing wrong with a 16 year old losing to Nastya and Dani.
But Max's hype is going put more pressure on Maria than a 16 year old should have to deal with.

the cat
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Keith, you are reknowned for your sarcasm and tennis kmowledge. But I don't know why you aren't more supportive of the Russina's like most of us. Even though Maria Sharapova is my favorite I root for all of them. So do GL, TBE, MSF, ys, tenn_ace, Cassius, Vaiva, moo_ont, Sharky, KV and so on. It's almost like your angry at Maria because she's highly thought of and on her way up while Elena Bovina is struggling. Is that a fair assessment on my part? If Mashara doesn't become the best Russina I will support and be glad for the girl that becomes the best Russina. To me it's a team game amongst the Russina's and Russian tennis needs as many good female tennis players as possible. :)

And Keith I'm sure you'll be gald to know this will be my last post about Mashara in Bovina's forum. :)

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I heard Bud Collins on WFAN. Nadia is injured. Elena D. is trying to change her serve. Nastya and Maria had to play in the third round. I thought Maria K. was the biggest disappointment.
Things didn't work out in singles.
But if anything, the Russian women are overtraining, not undertraining. That's why Lena's so thin.

the cat
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I'm concerned about the Russina's overtraining, too. :( But it's up to their parents and agents to make sure they aren't overtraining.

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:00 PM
I think Bud Collins was commenting on how poorly the Russians did in Melbourne. In the singles draw.
It was a disappointment. I don't believe it was from lack of training. If Nadia was healthy, she might have made the semis. Zuluaga did.

the cat
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Nadia needs to stay healthy and find her form.

Keith17
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Keith, you are reknowned for your sarcasm and tennis kmowledge. But I don't know why you aren't more supportive of the Russina's like most of us. Even though Maria Sharapova is my favorite I root for all of them. So do GL, TBE, MSF, ys, tenn_ace, Cassius, Vaiva, moo_ont, Sharky, KV and so on. It's almost like your angry at Maria because she's highly thought of and on her way up while Elena Bovina is struggling. Is that a fair assessment on my part? If Mashara doesn't become the best Russina I will support and be glad for the girl that becomes the best Russina. To me it's a team game amongst the Russina's and Russian tennis needs as many good female tennis players as possible. :)

And Keith I'm sure you'll be gald to know this will be my last post about Mashara in Bovina's forum. :)
I am supportive all Russians, except Anna K. I'm just a very negative person.

I do root for all of them... but when they are disappointing, I say so.

For example, most of you post these positives about Dementieva of late... and I see her as nothing but little Miss Excuses, who knows she's far from her potential, and doesn't want to give the effort to fully reach it.

I can't be positive like that... and if I try to BS it, everyone says I'm sarcastic. :sad:

About Maria... I just think she's very full of hype. I'm probably the only person on this board who doesn't think she's the next coming of a Williams... and 95% of people who have this opinion, only think that because she's 1) Pretty like Anna, or 2) Noted "experts" say that Maria is going to be great.

I'm also critical of her schedule. Playing these Tier 3 tournaments is smart by Maria... and that led to my bit of anger during the 2003 fall season. Lena was playing great tennis in Moscow, Filderstadt and Zurich. Maria barely beats a bunch of nobodies in Tokyo, and it's treated like a great accomplishment... and gets nearly the same amount of ranking points. Like I say, it's a smart move by Maria, and higher ranked players should really consider playing these Tier 3's... but it is a weak way to move up the ranks. Lena did the same thing winning Quebec in 2002, so I guess I shouldn't talk.

Now, I'm not jealous in the least, because Lena looks terrible... and until she gets herself to look somewhat healthy, I don't care if she wins or loses.

Yes, the Russian girls are overtraining.

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:50 PM
What did you say about Lina? That she would drop out of the top 50?
I couldn't believe that got deleted by Griffin.

Notice how Keith is starting Maria threads in the Herd. That means I have to keep talking about her.
I think Max did good to get the NEC deal. Let's see what he does now. Maria's results are killing the hype.

Keith17
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:54 PM
I just said that Lina has been playing awful lately, and she'll be out of the Top 40 in a couple weeks.

The reason the post was deleted is because Eggy is friends with Griffin. That's how those idiots do everything on this board.

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:19 PM
I had read your post. The page before, TBE and several others were rougher on Lina than you are.
You're some newbie guy, so you get judged harshly.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Lisa Raymond is 30. And she just had her best major. Anna should take her time and come back healthy. She can still have a long career.
And I want Lena-Anna as a doubles combination.

Keith17
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Stop trolling.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Trolling on a river.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:18 AM
I do want Anna-Lena. That's a good team, and it gives Lena exposure.
Then when Lena has singles results, and they are going to come, people will know who Lena is.

TartarVicario
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:20 AM
I am supportive all Russians, except Anna K.

I think I know who you are but not sure :devil: :p

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Since we have so many Shyperova fans here in Bovina's Herd...
You are also a name inventor...

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:56 AM
How can anyone not like Anna K.?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Maria's results are killing the hype.
I think Masha's results from these 2 tornaments aren't that bad.

At the Australian Open, Masha lost to world #7 in 3 sets.

At Tokyo, Masha lost to former world #5 in 2 sets and the first set was very close.

In both matches, Masha didn't play well in the last set - that's the problem that Masha needs to fix.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:59 AM
I didn't say she played badly. When you hype a young player as a future #1, and the most competitive since Seles, people expect her to win matches, Not just beat # 95, and that level.
I think Maria is a good player, but overhyped.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:07 AM
When you hype a young player as a future #1...
But Masha herself also has said that she wants to be a future #1.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:12 AM
She might get there. But right now, she's not a threat to win a major. This is different from a year ago. With juniors, and no one watching.
You can't tell the public you have a great player, and then she loses early in tournaments. People think you're a phony. They want results now.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:19 AM
I think Nastya can get to #3 in a few weeks if she was playing. There are so many injuries right now.
The important thing is to stay healthy, not overtrain. Maria is growing. There is no rush for her. That's why I don't like the hype. People shouldn't expect a finished product at 16.
Good night. I'm going to sleep.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:22 AM
But right now, she's not a threat to win a major.
Like you've said earlier, only Kim, Justine and the Williams sisters have been able to contest in the Grand Slams finals for such a long time already.

the cat
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:35 PM
I tend to be negative too, Keith. :( I see the glass as being half empty instead of half full. But I'm surprised about your comments about Elena Dementieva not willing to give a full effort to reaching her potential. :eek: Would you clarify that please?

And thanks for your thoughtful reply to my previous post in this thread. I appreciate it, Keith.

TartarVicario
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM
How can anyone not like Anna K.?

I guess he thinks Anya is not a professional tennis player :).

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM
That's something Keith 17 and Maria have in common, they don't like Anna K.
And they're tall.

the cat
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Hold your horses, GL. Don't speak for Mashara. She doesn't like being compared to Kournikova. She's tired of that. But I'm sure she's nice to Anna when they are around each other. :)

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:13 PM
They might be around each other this week. They're both going to be in Memphis.
Anna's going to the Children's Hospital. This tournament's on the Tennis Channel.

the cat
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I'm sure Maria will be nice to Anna if they run into each other. I'm a long time member of the St Jude's Children's Research Hospital and I'm very happy Anna is involved with one of the greatest charities in the world. :D I think Anna was there last year, too, if I'm not mistaken.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Anna was there last year. This tournament might pay appearance fees.
I hope Vera Z. shows up. I want to see Vera-Maria.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:26 AM
I'm sure Maria will be nice to Anna if they run into each other.
the cat: you too - don't speak for Masha.

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:35 AM
I can speak for Maria. I saw the No Strings show. She's thrilled to eat an ice cream cone.
She doesn't like Anna. She wants to be treated like she's a champion. And we do that.
We treat her like a Tier III champion.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:23 AM
I can speak for Maria.
We treat her like a Tier III champion.
Yes, Masha is a Tier III champion.

Like I said earlier: I got to know Masha a little bit in Hong Kong, but I don't think I can speak for her. But I certainly want to meet Masha again at other tournaments this years so that I can get to know her more.

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Maria said she has no doubt she will beat Serena. I don't have to meet her to know she has no respect for what others have accomplished.
She's entitled to her opinion.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:07 AM
I don't have to meet her to know she has no respect for what others have accomplished.
Venus Williams also said something similarly:

"Asked if she had a role model, Williams said she never thought anyone was better than her in tennis.

"I was really hardcore," said Williams. "I was convinced that I was the best."

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:15 AM
I saw that quote, too. Lets see Maria win majors like Venus. Then say that stuff.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:37 AM
I don't have to meet her to know she has no respect for what others have accomplished.
But Masha also complimented: "(Steffi) Graf changed the game and Serena (Williams) is now."

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 9th, 2004, 12:22 PM
When they're [the Russian girls] starting their careers, they all believe they'll become #1.
Kournikova is famous for quotes like that.
But you didn't have any problem when Anna talked about becoming a future #1.

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I wasn't following tennis then. But Anna was Russian #1 for almost 4 years, until she was injured.

the cat
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Miss Lox, I'm confused as to why you sometimes make a big deal about what Maria says. :confused: Masha like most highly touted young tennis players thinks highly of herself. Mashara speaks with confidence at age 16 just like Anna Kournikova and the Williams sisters did when they were 16. That's fact not fiction.

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2004, 08:16 PM
As I said, Maria is entitled to her opinion. And if they are both in Memphis, Maria will be asked about Anna every day.

the cat
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:00 AM
I hope not. But if she is I'll bet Maria will be polite and say she just wants to be herself and not anyone else.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Kournikova to appear at KSJ again

By The Commercial Appeal

February 6, 2004

Twenty-two-year-old Russian Anna Kournikova, who put women's professional tennis on the back burner last year because of recurring back injuries, is coming back to the Kroger St. Jude and Cellular South Cup at The Racquet Club.

Tournament owner Mac Winker said Thursday that Kournikova, who made an appearance last year to present a check to St. Jude, will appear at The Racquet Club Feb. 16 during this year's tournament. She'll again present a check to St. Jude and is scheduled to sign autographs.

Winker also said Thursday that rising Russian teenager Maria Sharapova, who won two events last year, will play the night session Feb. 16. He also said that American teenager Ashley Harkleroad has entered the women's event and that he's hoping Chanda Rubin, who finished the year in the top 10, will accept a wild card.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:39 AM
I bet you can read all the Masha articles nowadays. There's about one every week now.
It's time for Max to get desperate.

Keith17
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Everyone is trying to make money off the poor girl...

People get it wrong that I dislike Maria. That's far from the case.

I like her. I dislike the constant hype. And, the hype is what can easily cause her mind to stray away from reality.

GL, I don't base my opinion of Maria's future on her results now. I base my opinion on how I've seen her play, and predicting how her game will grow in the future. I just don't see the girl having the talents to be a top player.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:16 AM
I'm trying to be objective. I wasn't impressed by the one set against Dokic that I saw.
And Maria's results aren't that special.
But I liked what I saw against Nastya. Maria can pound the ball. And she hit some big angles.
I think she has a chance to do something big. Obviously, she has to improve a lot. But she has size and power. At 16, that's a good foundation.

Keith17
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:20 AM
I agree that Maria has size and power that is very impressive at 16. But, those are qualities that can be improved on over time for younger players. Where Maria lacks is court speed, and defensive play. Those are by far, the two biggest qualities in winning slams. It's nearly impossible to gain any significant quickness, and Maria is in good shape now... which is why I think Maria won't be the star people think she'll be.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:35 AM
If it's true that Maria is still growing, then she might gain mobility.
Maria has a good serve, and can bash. So the Lindsay comparisons make sense.
They make sense with Lena also. But Lena's serve is a problem.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:46 AM
I'm going to write a letter to Pres. Bush. What should I tell him?

Keith17
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Maria has weapons of mass destruction.

Of course, the hype leads us to believe they exist.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:51 AM
See, you help out all of us letter writers.
But Bush, like everyone else, doesn't know who Maria is.

Keith17
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Just say she's an evil Russian terrorist.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:56 AM
What happened to that letter to Maria? Don't delete the good stuff.

Keith17
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:57 AM
I was hoping Maria would beat me up at Cincinnati & US Open this year. Oh well.

And yes, Maria is definitely playing Cincinnati... Tier 3, with a very weak field, and she's not making the Olympic team.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Can Maria take you? I can see her throwing me into traffic.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:04 AM
What happened to that letter to Maria? Don't delete the good stuff.
With the way you've written, of course I had to delete my post because I have a great deal of respect for myself, and I don't like it when you are making joke of the stuff that I've written seriously. That's all.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Can Maria take you? I can see her throwing me into traffic.
Masha doesn't have time and interest to conduct those activities.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:07 AM
You think Maria's team of coaches don't know what areas she has to improve?
She has Nick, Lansdorp, and the new guy, who used to coach Anna. Plus a trainer and yoga instructor.
They don't need Keith's help.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Lets hope not. Traffic is dangerous. I might get hurt.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:18 AM
You think Maria's team of coaches don't know what areas she has to improve?
She has Nick, Lansdorp, and the new guy, who used to coach Anna. Plus a trainer and yoga instructor.
They don't need Keith's help.
I know that.

But I already plan to write her a letter, so just passing to her some advice that I think is useful, wouldn't be a problem.

You never know - Masha may like that advice.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Believe me, she wants to improve more than you or Sharky want her to.
Being great at tennis is her life's focus. But it's hard to be the absolute best in the world.
Most of the players are trying to be the best they can be.

Keith17
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:26 AM
She also wants to wear hideous clothing.

http://www.mariaworld.net/offcourt103.jpg

Really, what is that thing she's wearing?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Believe me, she wants to improve more than you or Sharky want her to.
I personally don't have much expectations for/from Masha - it all depends on what she can actually and eventually achieve.

When Masha lost a match, of course I was sad. But then I realised Masha must be more upset about it. So one just needs to get over it.

the cat
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Whatever happened to Keith wanting to keep this forum discussion about Elena Bovina?

Keith, Maria has improved her mobility alot in the last year and a half. :) And she will continue to do so as her legs get stronger.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Keith gave up on Lena. Obviously, this is now a Maria forum.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Since we have so many [Sharapova] fans here in Bovina's Herd... I thought I'd make this thread to accomodate them.
Keith hasn't given up on Lena.

goldenlox
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Keith gave up, and became a Maria fan. How else did she get that Maria picture?

I like the one where Maria is with the little people. Like Gulliver's Travels.

the cat
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Mashara sure knows how to work the camera. :D But it won't mean much if she doesn't become an elite tennis player. And that is where her main focus is.

goldenlox
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Maria is already an elite player. She's #25 at 16.
It's just a question of how far she can go.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:20 AM
She's #25 at 16.
She's still #26 this week.

Keith17
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Bovina will move back in the Top 30 after Paris. Yahoo.

goldenlox
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Lena is now behind Maria in the rankings. Think about that.

Keith17
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Maria is ranked ahead of a lot of shitty players. Think about that.

the cat
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM
This is only the beginning for Maria. Think about that. Kim Clijsters said Masha has the ability to make it to #1. Think about that.

I want 7 Russina's simultaneously in the WTA top 20 at some point this year. :D Sharapova, Krasnoroutskaya and Bovina have to play well enough for that to happen. I expect Myskina, Dementieva, Petrova and Zvonareva to be in the top 20 all year long. But how many other Russina's will join them? My guess is threee.

goldenlox
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Maria lost two of her last three matches. You're right, that's just the beginning.

Keith17
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:54 PM
This is only the beginning for Maria. Think about that. Kim Clijsters said Masha has the ability to make it to #1. Think about that.

Kim is the new version of Seles. She says everyone is great, and loves everyone.

goldenlox
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:58 PM
None of the players insult the teenagers. They'll be on the tour for years.
But Maria has to improve a lot before she does something important.
Right now, there might be 7 or 8 better Russians. I'm not sure about Dinara and Lena, but Maria's results this year aren't better.
And Sveta and Lena L. will earn much more money than Maria on court.

the cat
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:37 PM
GL, 7 or 8 Russina's better than Maria? :confused: LOL! :lol: Let me have what you're smoking! :kiss: :p :bs: :smash: :banghead: Masha's going to be in the top 20 at 16. And that's quite impressive in the era of the AER. :D

Come on Mashara! :bounce: Bring the Memphis title home to Bradenton. Or Los Angeles. Just bring it hime Maria. A WTA title early in the year would do wonders for her confidence. :)

goldenlox
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Maria hasn't beaten a player in the top 90 this year. When is the last time she beat a top 50 player?
Was it when Yuri was thrown in the garbage?

the cat
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Still hanging on to that rumour? :confused:

Maria has played 2 tournaments this year. Give her a chance.

goldenlox
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Who has Maria beaten since Yuri went head first into the trash can?

the cat
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:00 PM
It really doesn't matter who Maria has beaten, honey. Masha has won 2 WTA titles since last summer. Winning WTA titles at this early stage of her career is more important than who she has beaten.

And Aniko Kapros is better than alot of top 40 players. I'm sure you wouold even agree with that.

goldenlox
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Nastya, Elena D., Nadia, Vera, Dinara, Lena, and Sveta have all beaten better players than Maria.
If Maria's good, she shouldn't lose 6 & 1 to Dani.

the cat
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Those players you mentioned have played on the WTA Tour much longer than Maria has. Thus they should have beaten better players than Maria has. Gotcha! ;)

goldenlox
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:52 PM
From all the exhibition reports, I thought Maria might have improved since last season.
Now I want to see how far backwards she's gone.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Nastya, Elena D., Nadia, Vera, Dinara, Lena, and Sveta have all beaten better players than Maria.
But some of the Russian players, which you've mentioned above, lost to much lower raking players than the 2 players that Masha had lost to in Melbourne and Tokyo.

goldenlox
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:25 AM
True. Maria is underrated.

the cat
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:48 PM
You love to pull our legs, don't you, GL. ;) Maria isn't going backwards. She's going forwards. Upward and onward. :)

goldenlox
Feb 25th, 2004, 03:24 AM
GL, 7 or 8 Russina's better than Maria?

It's possible. Nastya, Vera Z., Dinara - they have had better years than Maria so far.
And when Elena D., and Lena play well, they are good. And Nadia. That leaves Sveta, who just beat Schiavone, the #7 seed in Dubai.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 25th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Dinara [has] had better years than Maria so far.
Can you please list her achievements?

goldenlox
Feb 25th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Dinara won 9 of her last 12 matches. Losing twice to Kim.
She beat Schnyder and Schiavone. Maria's best win was Frazier. The only top 80 she has beaten this year.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:02 AM
And who is the other player that Safina lost to?

goldenlox
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:10 AM
She lost to Klara Koukalova. And she had her leg wrapped with tape.
But she has beaten better players than Maria this year.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:25 AM
But she has beaten better players than Maria this year.
Thanks for the information.

Now it's only February. Let's see how Masha will perform further this year.

goldenlox
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:33 AM
I'm waiting. I also want to see what Max does next. He had Maria scheduled to do modeling in Memphis.
That's good preparation for a tournament.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:41 AM
He had Maria scheduled to do modeling in Memphis.
But as you wrote: Masha arrived at the airport on Saturday. If so, she didn't get to do modeling on Friday.

(Masha said she was sick the week before the Memphis tournament).

goldenlox
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:43 AM
The preparation involved modeling. A distraction.
But it was a Tier III, and she drew well. That kind of stuff is lunacy.
Maria might have lost her first match is she drew a better player.

goldenlox
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:53 PM
The strangest part of Maria's situation, to me, is that her parents don't work.
They sit around while Maria is running up and down hills.
I can't imagine doing all that work while my parents did nothing. And then the parents want to split the money.
I would tell dad and mom to go get a job. I have 12 coaches already.

- L i n a -
Feb 25th, 2004, 11:49 PM
But as you wrote: Masha arrived at the airport on Saturday. If so, she didn't get to do modeling on Friday.

(Masha said she was sick the week before the Memphis tournament).
Name 1 loss by Maria where these excuses didn't come up?

Geez... she's worse than Justine.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 12:08 AM
I think Maria really was sick. Otherwise she would have been with some local Memphis models on the catwalk.
That's good tournament preparation. Think about how to walk like a model so you don't out of place in some meaningless Friday afternoon distraction.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Name 1 loss by Maria where these excuses didn't come up?
Actually it's you who should name 1 loss by Masha where these excuses came up.

Because it was after winning her first match in Memphis that Masha said she was sick the week before the tournament.

"I think I played pretty well," said Sharapova after her first match in Memphis. "I think that for my first match, after being sick last week, I just did what I had to do."

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:23 AM
I don't think Maria makes excuses. But she didn't give Nastya credit either.
But that's okay.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:29 AM
The strangest part of Maria's situation, to me, is that her parents don't work.
Of course you knew a long time ago and knew it even before I became a Masha fan that Masha's father is her coach.

And it is stated so in her Player Profile on the wtatour.com website that Masha is “coached by her father”.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Her father said he doesn't know about tennis, ask him about skiing.
Anyway, she has several coaches. Who know tennis. And what does mom do?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:37 AM
But she didn't give Nastya credit either.
Myskina beat Masha: 4-6 6-1 2-6

I think one of the reasons maybe is because Masha beat Myskina 6-1 in the 2nd set.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:42 AM
I think Maria knows she barely made the AO qualies last year. And this year she was seeded.
Maria knows in the next year or two she will improve, and win these matches.
So she says what she believes, that it was a lack of experience. She didn't raise her level.
In future years she will.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Her father said he doesn't know about tennis, ask him about skiing.
What does mom do?
Of course he knows tennis - while Masha was staying at the Tennis Academy, he'd worked as a tennis coach somewhere else.

But I don't know about her mother.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:45 AM
He said that in Memphis.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:50 AM
He said that in Memphis.
Thanks for letting me know.

When I see Yuri next time, I'll ask him why he said that (it was fun talking to him: he has a good sense of humour).

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Have you read this one?

Times article
Sharapova looks the part
The young Russian is making headlines on and off court, but it’s her tennis that singles her out. By Nick Pitt

She is the new Russian princess, heir apparent to the dubious crown of Anna Kournikova. Her hair is blonde, her legs are long and her face is pretty, a perfect blank canvas unsullied by the wear of life. Every courtside camera swivels in her direction so that you have to feel sorry for the other girl.
Maria Sharapova is this year’s phenomenon, probably Wimbledon’s principal debutante. Her smile is sweetly natural, she is coquettish and she speaks terrific English, so stand by for Sharapova mania, the annual tabloid feast and leer. But since she is barely past the age of consent — she was 16 in April — any suggestion of erotic excitement is best rep-ressed. She still attends school, through the internet, and when her tournament play or practice is finished for the day, she settles down to her homework.

What distinguishes her is poise, an unworldly certainty in her future, the coronation. Alike in private audience and press conference, she speaks matter-of-factly, in pronouncements beyond contradiction.

“I’m tough, really strong,” she said on Thursday at the Edgbaston Priory club. “I just want to go out and to win. If I didn’t feel confident, I wouldn’t go out on the court. I know people talk about my looks and my grunting on the court, but in a few years none of that will matter. All that will count is becoming a champion.”

At that point, she had posted notice by beating two seeded players in the DFS Classic. Next day she beat top seed and fellow Russian Elena Dementieva, ranked 15th in the world, for the best victory of her life before narrowly losing to Shinobu Asagoe of Japan in the semi-finals.

Sharapova, ranked 125th, had already had to move up a grade and get used to grass to get to the quarter- finals. In the first set, she was almost hit off court as Dementieva gave her a rude welcome to the standard required at and near the top. When she won the Amelia Island tournament in April, Dementieva beat Lindsay Davenport and Justin Henin-Hardenne, so she’s up there.

Well, Sharapova moved up a further grade, and somehow she found a way to fight, to win. The pretty girl had proved herself worthy of great attention. Along with the looks, the self-possession, service and ground strokes is a deeply competitive determination. So see her as an angel, admire her backhand, but recognise her killer instinct. Make no mistake: she has the makings of a champion.

ALTHOUGH her life has been as peculiarly limited and protected as a princess’s, Sharapova’s assumption that titles, fame and fortune will be hers has been wrought, not by inheritance, but hard times. She is an only child who was born in Siberia and moved to Sochi on the Black Sea at the age of two.

“I first picked up a racket when I was 4,” she said. “My father was a friend of Yevgeny Kafelnikov’s dad and they used to play each other for beers. Then I was given one of Yevgeny’s rackets and I started with that. It was tough to get on a court in those days, and in the winter I just used to hit against a wall. That wasn’t so good, because I always wanted to win.”

When she was six, her father Uri, who knew his daughter had talent, took an extraordinary decision: with little money and no contacts, he took her to Florida, home of the tennis camps, the factories of champions and broken dreams. Maria’s mother, who could not get a visa, stayed behind in Russia. “It was difficult,” Sharapova said. “Dad had to find work and I had to learn English, which took me three months.”

Uri got a job as a tennis coach in Venice, Florida. Two years later, his daughter was invited to attend the most famous tennis factory of all, the Bollettieri Academy at Bradenton, whose many celebrated graduates include Monica Seles, Andre Agassi — and Kournikova.

“I spent my first year there living in a dormitory with other girls,” Sharapova said. “I was nine and they were 16 and 17. My dad came to see me once a week, but I was mostly by my-self. I wasn’t part of the group and I wasn’t invited to their parties. I was unhappy but I learnt a lot about myself. I learnt to be a better fighter. I never cried.”

She found solace on court. By the time she was 11, the family had been reunited, living in Bradenton and dedicated to the young player’s career.

“I keep telling her dad that there’s no rush,” Nick Bollettieri said at the time. “The girl knows how to win, which is very rare at her age.”

Two years later, Bollettieri went further. “At 13, Maria’s as good as we’ve had. She has great timing. She hits the ball on the rise, very similar to the way Seles did it. She is a brilliant thinker. In her mind, she is geared to one thing and that is bringing down her opponent. Only time will tell how good she will be. But without hesitation, barring an unforeseen injury, I can say she will not just be a professional, she will be one of the best in the world.”

Under the anti-burnout rules of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA), girls under 18 are strictly limited in the number of WTA Tour events they can play. As a result, Sharapova’s game has progressed faster than her ranking or her visibility.

“It has been frustrating,” she said. “I love to play but sometimes I can’t. But I’m patient. I go with the flow.” This year, she won through the qualifying stages to reach the main draw at the Australian and French Opens but lost in the first round at both. At Edgbaston she again had to qualify, but this time she has taken advantage, publicly displaying a talent that hitherto had been a subject of gossip among those in the know.

HERS is a game in technical development. It is based on the usual hard-court product, involving tremendous ground strokes, double-fisted on the backhand. She moves like a gazelle — these days, if you can’t, you had better pack your bags and go home — and serves with plenty of power.

The net is a foreign country, but at least she’s curious. “I’m a baseline player,” she said. “But I love going to the net and I know that I need to do it more. It’s a mind-set I have and it’s got to change. I just have to force myself to do it.”

And she will, because she knows she needs something extra to separate herself from the rest, and when she sees what she needs to do, she does it. In her first few matches at Birmingham, her grunting was the main focus of attention.

It was reckoned the worst ever for decibels, worse even than Seles at her worst. On Wednesday fellow competitors complained and Sharapova was officially warned. On Thursday she was muted. “I know now I have to control it,” she said. “I won’t allow it to affect me.”

Such control and self-possession. She loves her life, even her schoolwork: “The books are sent to me and I do my projects and essays through the internet. World history and biology are my best subjects, and I’m an A-grade student.

“I also try to go to Russia every year, to see my wider family. It makes me feel so good because, although I love America, I am still Russian all the way through. Tennis is not and never will be the most important thing in my life. It is a path to lead me in the right direction, to make a name for myself.”

The next step on that path is Wimbledon. Sharapova has been offered a wild card into the main draw. She has been somewhat coy about accepting it, for she is allowed only three wild cards a year, but she surely will attend. And the next episode on what should be an exhilarating journey will begin.

Certainty is her great strength — and the obverse, disillusion, of which she knows nothing, the great danger. The pitfalls should not be underestimated.She has grown several inches in the past year and will be vulnerable to injury. She is cocooned by her father and her coach, a situation that may become insufferable as she grows into womanhood. Many will want to exploit and control her.

Now it’s all a world of wonder for Sharapova. But as we marvel and wish her well, we should not forget that Russian princesses, from Anastasia to Kournikova, are good on fairytale beginnings but not always so good at happy endings.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 26th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Have you read this one?
Yes.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 02:11 AM
By the way, Anna's mom doesn't know tennis either. The have to pretend the parents are the coaches. Or the parents take the kid somewhere else.

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 02:54 AM
By the way, Anna doesn't know tennis either.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Anna knows tennis great. She is the only player I am jealous of.
Anna is 22. She still makes a fortune. Almost every guy wants to date her. Including the biggest celebrities.
Anna doesn't have to travel around the world hitting tennis balls. She can just party. But if she ever wants to play, Center Court.
She's my hero. This is the goal. To have a great life. Not to win a Tier IV.

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Anna belongs in Non-Tennis then.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:07 AM
I don't start threads about Anna in GM.
But I like to remind people that she is by far the biggest star in women's sports.

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:09 AM
No Anna here.

Non-Tennis.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:11 AM
You brought her up. I just mentioned her mom doesn't know tennis.

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Anna sucks. K.

Lena sucks. K.

Sigh. This forum needs help.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:16 AM
That why we talk Maria.

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:18 AM
But, nobody else realizes her greatness.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:20 AM
She does.

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Her "people" tell her to act like that.

I bet Maria is intimidated by the Tier 3 players she faces.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:35 AM
I don't. I think she has been told it will be another year or two to become #1. She knows that at 16, and still growing, she hasn't peaked.

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:41 AM
I wouldn't assume she's that smart.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:44 AM
That she is still growing and hasn't peaked? Ofcourse she knows that.
Tell me another 16 year old with her power. There must be some. I don't go back too far.

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Tati Golovin is better.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:33 PM
What 16 year old hits the ball that hard?

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Tennis isn't about hitting a ball "hard".

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:36 PM
It doesn't hurt. Maria can bang. She's not grown up yet. I like power.

- L i n a -
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Even though Maria may still grow more, I don't think her game will be much more powerful. She doesn't need it to be, either.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Maria has to get more consistent. Learn when to hit out, and when to play a safe shot.
Sveta has to learn that too.

- L i n a -
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:11 AM
I think a bigger problem for Maria is her lack of mobility, and inability to play defensive tennis.

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:13 AM
At 16, I don't worry about it. When she gets a short ball, no one can return it.
She pounds it.

- L i n a -
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:21 AM
She doesn't have to worry about that against the competition she faces now...

When it's the later rounds of slams, I would care.

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:29 AM
I don't know what's going to happen. But I like size, power, and youth.
I don't expect greatness at 16. But the tools are there.
So are the adult tools who surround her.

- L i n a -
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:39 AM
I know she won't be as great as everyone says.

I'm usually right on these things.

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:45 AM
I think Vera, Sveta, Maria, Dinara, who knows? They all have talent.

the cat
Feb 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM
You tell her, GL! :singer: :banana: :kiss:

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2004, 09:59 PM
I can't just write off a 16 year old who's ranked #22.
But I think Sveta and Dinara might both be better than Maria. Now, and in 5 years. We'll see.

- L i n a -
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Right now, Sveta is obviously the better player. She beat Maria at Wimbledon, and she's done things in tournaments where Top 20 players are involved.

Dinara is getting up there also.

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Sveta is in the top 20, Maria should get there in a few weeks, and Dinara should get there.
If Lena can get there, that's 8 out of 20.

- L i n a -
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Lena won't get there.

I've come to the realization that the rankings are far from perfect. The system is fine, but the players don't know how to utilize it.

Kristina Brandi is going to be back in the Top 50, mostly by winning challenger after challenger. Maria has ONE good tournament in her rankings, above Tier 3. That means she has a bloated ranking, in my opinion.

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Players change form, so there's no correct way to rank them.
Sveta lost in qualies in Zurich and Filderstadt.
Then she lost to Dechy and Salerni at Gold Coast and Hobart.
Now Sveta has a top 10 type week. It's impossible to give the players a number that means something over time.

- L i n a -
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Players have a bad loss sometimes.

If Maria would have played qualies in Moscow and Filderstadt, she might have lost, instead of beating lower players in Tokyo.

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:19 PM
True. But one year ago, I had barely heard of her. Players improve, then stay there.
Sometimes they improve again. And these girls are big. Dinara, Maria, and Sveta. These are big girls.

- L i n a -
Feb 27th, 2004, 11:00 PM
It's not about hearing of Maria. She's obviously going to get more attention for her looks.

We'll see if the girls improve.

Personally, I don't think any of them will be threats for #1. I think Sveta has the best chance of it though.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:49 AM
I think Sveta has a real chance at #1. Her groundstrokes are powerful. She has an all court game. She served and volleyed against Sugiyama on some points.
This is her second Wimbledon coming up. Her game is big on grass.

- L i n a -
Feb 28th, 2004, 03:07 AM
I do like Sveta's game. She reminds me a bit of Kim, although not as good defensively. The only thing lacking is consistency.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 03:10 AM
What's lacking is mental. Sveta's 18. I keep saying she needs to play big matches.
Until Venus, she never played well against names.
A good effort in the final should keep her maturation process going.

the cat
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:32 PM
GL made a good point about how Sveta was struggling this year and then of a sudden she has a top 10 type of week. The same will happen for Mashara.

I too think Sveta can be a top 5 player. She has the strongest body of all the Russina's and can play all court tennis. The question is does Sveta have the burning desire to be #1?

Having 8 Russina's in the top 20 at some point this year is indeed doable. But a few of the girls have to pick up their games soon.

Just to show I'm fair I will agree with EV about how Maria's ranking is a little deceiving. But she's doing the smart thing by playing alot of smaller tournaments because winning matches is important to her developement as a 16 year old tennis player. If Masha is still playing this kind of schedule when she's 18 I would be suprised and a little dissapointed. But let's let Mashara take things step by step.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Maria still has to improve her game a lot. Her big wins are against Elena, Jelena, and Nadia, and those players can lose to anybody.
Sveta can play top 5 tennis right now. But she gets nervous. She will grow out of that.
I don't know if Maria will develop a top 5 game. She doesn't have one. Sveta does.

- L i n a -
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I do think that Maria's schedule is smart for now... but when she runs her mouth about how "I'm gonna be #1. I'll beat Serena."... it's just silly.

She's gotten to the point where she shouldn't be playing them anymore, and I hope she doesn't.

Many people have the belief that winner smaller tournaments breeds confidence... but I don't see that. I'm a 5.0 rated player. If I win some 3.5 tournament, I'm not going to feel any better about my game... and I feel that would even hurt me against players who are better than me.

I don't know if Sveta can play Top 5 tennis right now... Let's remember that the latest version of Venus isn't exactly the best.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:17 PM
She beat Schiavone, Venus, and Sugiyama in straight sets. If you watch her, you can see everything is there. Power, movement, a full court game.
Sveta has to get steadier. And play her game every match.

- L i n a -
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:20 PM
I have seen Sveta numerous times. She does have the game, but you said, she's not steady. She has to play much more consistently, because in the top levels, she's not going to be able to overpower people. Her strength will be athleticism, and she'll need to play great defense. She can't give away bunches of games.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Sveta covers more court than people think. She gets to most balls.
Today she was 6-7, 3-3 with Justine. I think she got tired.
Sveta/Elena are getting buried in doubles now. She's exhausted.

- L i n a -
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:26 PM
I don't underestimate Sveta's court coverage. That's what impressed me most in her match with Kim. But, the amount of loose shots she hits is the bad thing.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:29 PM
And against Kim and Justine, she always does that. Sveta moved forward this week.
I think she will learn to forget who is on the other side of the net.
And just play her game. She has a great draw in Doha. We'll see.

- L i n a -
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Apparently it's not only Kim and Justine though... as she's had many bad losses in the past 5 months.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM
She had heat exhaustion in San Diego. At the time, she had won 11 of 13, with two bad loses to Justine.
After that, her singles game was off all fall.
This is the first tournament since where she played well. Her best ever. And she did well in the final.
That's what I was hoping for.
Now a good draw in Doha. She has to get rest though.

the cat
Feb 28th, 2004, 08:09 PM
GL, Kim Clijsters and Lindsay Davenport think Maria will make make a run at the top of tennis. They are very impressed with her. And Matthew Cronin of ******************** said Masha has "obvious top 5 stuff". I think she has that potential. But she has to make it happen in a couple of years. She's not ready yet.

EV, is a 5.0 tournament you play the equal of a 25k challenger? You made a good point about whether winning a smaller tournament will breed confidenc ein a player. I would think it does. But if Mashara gained confidence from wiining Tokyo and Quebec last fall it hasn't shown in her play this year.

And EV I don't ever remember Sharapova ever saying she was going to be #1. She has only ever said she wants to be #1. There is a difference. But her comment about being able to beat Serena was a little cocky. I hope Serena hasn't heard it. :eek:

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 08:29 PM
What Maria has is hype. That was Sveta's first Wimbledon also. No one writes that Sveta made a splash.
If Maria had a week like Sveta just had, Cronin would write 5 articles about it.
Sveta has obvious top 5 stuff. Maria has a lot to prove.

- L i n a -
Feb 28th, 2004, 08:36 PM
No, 5.0 level isn't the equivalent of a 25k challenger. Well, there's some players like Loeffler-Caro, Freeman-Young, etc. that are much lower than that... but the majority of the girls fighting their tails off in 10k's and 25k's would beat the tar out of me. I did beat one girl who was in US Open qualies though. :)

GL, what Maria has is hype, and more importantly, the "look". Sveta, to put it nicely, doesn't.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 08:43 PM
She doesn't have the "look" any more than Maria K. does. She has a hype machine.
That same hype machine could have made the Indian Open seem important.
Just like they made losing to Sveta in the first week of Wimbledon look important.

- L i n a -
Feb 28th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Yes, Maria S. does have the look. Maria K. apparently doesn't.

Many teenage boys pack the pud over her, and it gets her attention.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 08:46 PM
No. Maria K. doesn't have IMG making her a priority. Maria K. does have the look.

the cat
Feb 28th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Hype only does so much for a tennis player, GL. Maria needs to block out the hype and go for the results. She has excelled at every level she has played on. And in time I believe Masha will excel on the WTA Tour at the top level.

EV, I think Sveta has a beautiful smile and a very likable personality! :D

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Maria's record in 2004 speaks for itself. At least 50 other players can do what she's done.
And Cronin still writes that puff piece last week.

- L i n a -
Feb 28th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Cronin isn't exactly the best writer out there...

His last piece out the rising 5 and dropping 5, was very uneducated.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 09:06 PM
He's a dope. So are most of the tennis media. That's why the hype works in tennis circles.
But outside tennis, people have no idea who Maria is or what she looks like.

goldenlox
Feb 28th, 2004, 09:40 PM
"Many teenage boys pack the pud over her, and it gets her attention."

I don't believe this, because Anna is never on tv playing tennis. Yet she is as popular as ever. They show Americans on ESPN, not the pretty girls.

- L i n a -
Feb 29th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Then they find pics of her on the internet.

Boys do the same for Maria... except many less because she's not mainstream yet, and she's not as attractive as A-Porn. But IMG are trying their damndest to get her there.

goldenlox
Feb 29th, 2004, 01:40 AM
I don't know what's going on with pictures. But ESPN shows so much Lindsay, that I don't think the cheesecake stuff matters.
Except for these clowns like Cronin, Wertheim, and Bud Collins, who are given the photos by IMG.
And then they write what a big deal Maria is. For losing to Sveta.

KV
Feb 29th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Lots of posts here esp. from Goldenlox & Evanscence. Must say noticed Farina's 14th ranked, mainly because of weak draws and injuries. When you compare her to Sveta, on average points a tourney Sveta's the edge. In a certain way Sveta deserves to be 14th ranked, Masha too. Afterall the Memphis line-up in the semi & final was stronger than Antwerp.

goldenlox
Feb 29th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Vera deserves credit for the Memphis semis and final. Maria didn't win a set past the quarters.
Sveta has tons of game. For her, it's staying calm, and keeping the ball in play.

- L i n a -
Feb 29th, 2004, 10:08 PM
While I wouldn't say Silvia is the #14th best player in the world... the average amount of points per tourney isn't a reliable way to compare.

goldenlox
Feb 29th, 2004, 10:17 PM
There is no perfect way. Maria is great. Everyone else stinks.
That's the best way.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 1st, 2004, 07:22 AM
Maria's record in 2004 speaks for itself. At least 50 other players can do what she's done.
“At least 50 other players can do what she's done” - Yes, they can. But the big difference is that they are no longer 17 years old like Masha will become in 2 months' time.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 1st, 2004, 07:48 AM
Except for these clowns like Cronin, Wertheim, and Bud Collins, who are given the photos by IMG.
And then they write what a big deal Maria is. For losing to Sveta.
They wrote articles about Masha because:

- Masha tied a Wimbledon record by advancing to the 4th round as a WC.

- Masha was youngest of 5 Russians in 4r at Wimbledon (a Grand Slam record).

KV
Mar 1st, 2004, 01:14 PM
While I wouldn't say Silvia is the #14th best player in the world... the average amount of points per tourney isn't a reliable way to compare.A fair ranking system, doesn't exist. When you see Farina jumped 10 places to 14th, and this not because of def. top 10 players now and then. On ave. points she wouldn't have made the top 20, and rightly so. The other thing on average points Anna Chakvetadze would have played the Aus-Open Qual, and ATM could be seeded in the GS-Qual. IMO, average points a tourney or the ranking of old has to do with more quality, and not the more you play the better. Quality over quantity.

the cat
Mar 1st, 2004, 08:21 PM
Well said, MSF. :)

goldenlox
Mar 1st, 2004, 08:57 PM
They were writing those articles in Birmingham.
Cronin said Maria made a splash by getting to the quarters.
Sveta made the quarters, in her first Wimbledon. And she sent Maria packing. That splash was all about underage cheesecake.
All my predictions came true. The hype had to stop, because it was about her being a future #1. Her results are far away from that.
Now she needs results. Or all the hype will be Kourna-clona.

- L i n a -
Mar 1st, 2004, 08:59 PM
Maria isn't Kourna-clona yet.

Let's win a Top 10 match, and get in the Top 10, and get to the Quarters of a tournament that matters.

goldenlox
Mar 1st, 2004, 09:02 PM
That's going to be the hype. This future #1 stuff needs results.

the cat
Mar 1st, 2004, 10:41 PM
You sure are a nitpicking, GL. ;) :p Aren't you ever going to forget about Matt Cronin's little slip up about how far Sharapova got in her debut Wimbledon?

goldenlox
Mar 1st, 2004, 10:45 PM
I'll forget it. And I'll forget Bud Collins saying Maria's the best thing blah, blah blah, in the last 20 years.
Now tell Maria to go win some matches. And to not quit after losing a first set tiebreak.

the cat
Mar 1st, 2004, 10:54 PM
Easy girl. Easy. And Bud Collins never said that about Maria and it's wrong of you to say he did. He spoke highly of Masha but that's it.

But you are right about Maria needing to win some matches and playing tough tennis after losing a tough set.

goldenlox
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:03 PM
I want her to do what Sveta did. Have a top 10 type week. Something that shows a forward move.
I don't think Maria's going to do that on clay. So it's now, or wait until England.

the cat
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:14 PM
Maria is only 16. You should give her time to mature and find herself on and off the court. Asking her to do at age 16 what Svetlana Kuznetsova does at age 18 is asking alot of Maria. But she could get hot at any moment and have a long run in a Tier 1 tounrament. :D And that's what I am hoping for. :) But I will glady take steady progress from Masha. I don't expect 2004 to be a great year for Mashara. But I want to see her at the very least make solid progress this year. And I expect her to.

goldenlox
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:19 PM
Now she's playing in her backyard. Where she won in 2002. Right after Anna lost.

- L i n a -
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:24 PM
It would be cute if Maria could also get to the final of Miami, just like Anya did at 16.

goldenlox
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:26 PM
We can't put pressure on her. This is no Tier III. When she gets to Helsinki though, look out!

- L i n a -
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:31 PM
Helsinki is Tier IV. Let's stop underrating Masha. Everyone else does.

goldenlox
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:40 PM
I think it's a great place for Maria to go after Wimbledon.

- L i n a -
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:46 PM
Palermo would be better.

goldenlox
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:47 PM
Cincy is good too.

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:59 AM
Maria insulted Anna when Anna was #8, and Maria hadn't won a WTA match yet. Nick said Maria is the most talented Russian in 2001.
The Sharapova camp has planned a strategy to belittle the other Russians, so Maria is perceived to be the only Russian who's important.

They had to expect some backlash from people who want the Russians to be respected as a group. I want Maria to show on the court that she's the most talented Russian. And I want her and the adults around her to leave Nastya, Anna, and all the other Russians alone.
That's not unreasonable.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
I want Maria to show on the court that she's the most talented Russian. And I want her and the adults around her to leave Nastya, Anna, and all the other Russians alone.
That's not unreasonable.
Be more reasonable: Why should Masha listen to you and follow what you want?

And don't worry about Myskina - Masha and Myskina have a good relationship, they exchanged kisses even after Masha lost the match at the Australian Open. And Zvonareva is also fine as Masha/Vera reached the Memphis doubles final together.

the cat
Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM
I see Frick and Frack are at it again. ;) :p

GL, your theory about Maria's camp wanting her to belittle her Russina compatriots is interesting. But untrue. Mashara gets along just fine with the Russina's. :)

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:23 PM
Why should Masha listen to you and follow what you want?

Okay, keep insulting them.

the cat
Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:12 AM
Maria is not going to listen to any of us. Or anyone outside of her tennis circle. I expect Masha to be civil towards Anna in the future. :angel: It's not nice to kick someone when they are down the way Anna is. And Anna's tennis career has hit rock bottom. I think Mashara will go back to saying that she wants to be her own person and no one else. And that's all she has to say.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:48 AM
I think I offer good advice. I don't know if the players will listen. But when I heard Maria did that Flutie photo-op in the middle of a tournament, I knew it was a bad sign for her results. An unneccesary distraction.

Though there is probably more money in endorsements than prize money, those kinds of photoshoots do nothing positive. Max should have brought Maria to the Oscars. That's a good photo-op.

the cat
Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:08 PM
Maria did that football photo shoot on an off day. That photo shoot was a smashing success. :D And it didn't have anything to do with her beaing beaten by Kim Clijsters the next day.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:56 PM
That photoshoot was a disaster. Maria lost 3 of her next 4 matches. And she hasn't beaten a top 40 player since. And that was 9 months ago.

Do that stuff with Shaq, then it's a smashing success.

the cat
Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:19 PM
What does Shaq have to do with it? Maybe Max is working on it. ;)

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Flutie is old news. And too short for Maria.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:22 PM
Flutie and Maria have a lot in common actually...

Both have never won anything important, and are hyped to the moon for it.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:25 PM
Flutie won the Heisman. And Maria is just starting. She already won Quebec.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:29 PM
Heisman... :haha:

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
How can you say that Tier III in Tokyo wasn't important? Maria cherishes that trophy.

the cat
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:25 PM
Maria should cherish her Tokyo title because it was her first WTA title and because it's a title Serena Williams and Monica Seles have won in recent years.

GL, since you're a sports history afficianado what year did Doug Flutie win the prestigious but overrated Heisman trophy?

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:38 PM
I think 1984.
Maria was the first player to be committed. I read that in GM today.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Serena won Princess Cup, the Tier II event that Shanghai replaced last year, not Japan Open.

Yes, it was 1984 when Flutie won the Heisman. The Heisman is an absolute joke. Just look at the past winners. It's basically "the QB on the best team" award.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Serena won Princess Cup, the Tier II event that Shanghai replaced last year, not Japan Open.

Yes, it was 1984 when Flutie won the Heisman. The Heisman is an absolute joke. Just look at the past winners. It's basically "the QB on the best team" award.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:52 PM
Peyton Manning didn't win.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:55 PM
That was the Woodson year where the bigwigs wanted to show that defensive players have a chance... which was bullshit, because he only got it for his punt returns and couple of INT run backs.

Tenneessee wasn't the best team that year, they lost 2 or 3 games, I think.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:56 PM
Does Lena cherish her trophies?

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Let's not change the topic.

Besides, there's nothing to talk about concering her.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:05 PM
Sure there is. Maria was named one of the "coolest girls in America". And one of those who will change the world.
I gotta get that article.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:08 PM
Please post it, so I can save it. :)

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM
Sharapova Commits To Pilot Pen
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/SharapovaAusOpenSIGGI.jpg
Photo By Siggi Bucher By Tennis Week
03/03/2004

Maria Sharapova, the young Russian star who has already won two WTA Tour events on her way to a No. 24 ranking, today became the first player to commit to the 2004 Pilot Pen presented by Michelob ULTRA, A USTA Event, set for August 20-28th at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale.
The 16-year-old Sharapova will be making her first appearance at the Pilot Pen. She has been profiled in such publications as W magazine and USA Today and was named one of the "coolest girls in America" by YM magazine last year.

"I've heard a lot of good things about the Pilot Pen and New Haven from the other players," said Sharapova. "So I'm really excited to play there for the first time this August."

Sharapova made a splash last year at Wimbledon, reaching the fourth round in her first main draw appearance there. She improved by 154 spots in the WTA Tour rankings last year, finishing at No. 32 following singles titles at Japan and Quebec City late in the campaign. She was also featured as "On the Move" by People Magazine in its September 1st, 2003, issue; in 2002 she appeared on Teen People's list of 20 teens who will change the world.

Sharapova has had a strong start to 2004, reaching the third round at the Australian Open and the semifinals in Memphis en route to a career-best ranking of No. 22 last month. She and partner Vera Zvonareva of Russia also reached the doubles final at Memphis.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:12 PM
What a great article. I'm glad this was posted in GM.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:14 PM
Yay Masha!

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:15 PM
This shows her agent is working. It's an amazing article.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:18 PM
Her agent can't fake her koolnezz

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:21 PM
Now every tennis writer uses "Sharapova made a splash last year at Wimbledon".
The quarterfinalists must have made a tidal wave.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:22 PM
Do I think I should change the topic name to Maria Sharapova: "One of the coolest girls in America"?

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
I think she's THE coolest.

the cat
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Isn't this Elena Bovina's thread? ;)

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:32 PM
Max is good. That's some article, for a tennis player committing to a US Open prep.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:32 PM
Let's not overexaggerate, GL.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:34 PM
You're right. Hillary Duff is cool too.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:35 PM
Avril Lavigne is the kewlest.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:38 PM
Maria is way more cool.

- L i n a -
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Not until she wins Cincinnati.

She needs to win in the US.

goldenlox
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:41 PM
Maria won a round at the US Open. And in doing so, she won the hearts of every tennis writer.

the cat
Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:48 PM
Why are you doing this?

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2004, 12:14 AM
She takes things to the limit. But that is a very positive article. We both are interested in that coolest thing.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 4th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Why are you doing this?
the cat, they have been doing this on and off all along since mid-November 2003.

So you just have to take it or leave it.

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Articles like this one are why Maria will be a multi-millionaire in her teens.
But that's a funny article. That the tennis media just goes with it, ignoring her 2004 results, makes this stuff worth it's weight in gold.
If I am Max, I would try to get Teen People and YM to say that about my player.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 4th, 2004, 02:39 AM
That the tennis media just goes with it, ignoring her 2004 results
“Sharapova has had a strong start to 2004, reaching the third round at the Australian Open and the semifinals in Memphis en route to a career-best ranking of No.22 last month. She and partner Vera Zvonareva of Russia also reached the doubles final at Memphis.” - Tennis Week

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2004, 02:41 AM
"Sharapova has had a strong start to 2004"
This is not true. There is no way she is happy with her 2004 results.
They left out the Pan Pacific. They left out the rankings of the players Maria beat.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 4th, 2004, 03:09 AM
"Sharapova has had a strong start to 2004"
This is not true. There is no way she is happy with her 2004 results.
They left out the Pan Pacific. They left out the rankings of the players Maria beat.
“This is not true.” - So what?

Anyway Tennis Week is still a more professional source of information than goldenlox, isn't it?

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Professional, yes. Accurate, I'm not sure. This article reads like Max wrote it.

That's what makes it funny. But people believe what they read.

- L i n a -
Mar 4th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Professional, yes. Accurate, no.

No professional site will ever write anything bad about Maria now.

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2004, 03:35 AM
I don't know about that. At some point, Maria will need results. Something that shows she moved forward from Birmingham 2003.
She doesn't need results now. By next summer, Maria has to do something more on the court. Or the media will find someone else. Like they left Hantuchova.