PDA

View Full Version : Elena Bovina, Australian Open champion

goldenlox
Feb 1st, 2004, 07:17 PM
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Elena Bovina and Nenad Zimonjic, teaming for the first time, defeated defending champions Martina Navratilova and Leander Paes on Sunday to win the Australian Open mixed doubles title.

Russian right-hander Bovina and Zimonjic, from Serbia-Montenegro, ended Navratilova's hopes of a 10th Grand Slam mixed doubles title with a 6-1, 7-6 (3) center-court victory in 1 hour, 9 minutes.

Navratilova, seeded fourth with Paes, has said she will retire from tournament play at the end of the year.

Bovina, a mixed doubles finalist at the French Open in 2002, was thrilled with their breakthrough Grand Slam triumph.

``When I was a junior my coach made us bury all the trophies for second and third place,'' the 20-year-old Bovina said. ``I really wanted to keep this one today, so I really tried.

``It's just great to get a trophy. Doesn't matter if it's singles, doubles, mixed doubles. It's first place, it's fantastic for me.''

She said it was the first time she and Zimonjic had teamed together, and ``I think we did pretty good.''

Zimonjic, 27, said he had left a note with WTA Tour officials before the tournament seeking a partner, and that Bovina had responded.

``I'd like to thank you guys for finding a great partner for me,'' he said.

auntie janie
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:14 AM
Congrats, Elena! Very nice for you! :bounce:

That trophy-burying thing is a bit chilling, though! :eek:

Doc
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:55 AM
Great win Lena! :bounce:

Playing so much better in Doubles at the AO in a scratch pairing!

Keep it up. :D

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:32 AM
At the US Open, Lena and Rennae Stubbs reached the quarters, where they lost to Paola and Vivi.
I was surprised that Lena didn't enter the women's doubles. But it worked out great. Lena's first major.
In every major, Lena should enter both doubles events. She's excellent at the net, a good doubles player. Lena has a chance to win more majors. And the money's great.

Keith17
Feb 2nd, 2004, 02:43 AM
Lena has always had excellent results in doubles... if she played full-time, she'd be a Top 10 doubles player, at least. Just imagine if Lena could ever play with someone for more than a week?

It's obvious that she can't play both singles & doubles full-time, however... our Lena isn't as strong as Kim or Sveta. :sad:

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:01 AM
I didn't mean full-time. Just at the majors. That's where the money is.
It also another chance to win a major.

Keith17
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:06 AM
However, you don't see any part-time doubles teams winning majors... it works in mixed, but not for women's.

To reach your best... you need a have a partner for long time.

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:08 AM
True. But Lena's a great talent. With a good doubles partner, like Rennae, she can go far.
They beat Nadya/Meghann in NY.

Keith17
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:21 AM
Lena's won 2 Tier I doubles titles. 1 with Justine, and 1 with Rennae.

The talent is obviously there. If Lena could just ever find a consistent doubles partner.

Lena & Sveta would be nice... both young, both Russian, and could play for many many years...

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:27 AM
Sveta? You changed your mind. I thought we agreed on Nags Jr.

Keith17
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:30 AM
I used to not take doubles seriously. Now, I see that it could be a really good opportunity for Lena. It could also propel her singles' career like it has for Paola. Sveta would be the best option.

Shyperova won't be playing much doubles... she's going to be retired in a couple years.

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:32 AM
She's going to be posting here like us. LOL.
If I was Joe G., and getting a percentage, I would want Lena to play doubles.
Sveta and Elena L. made more money than Nastya in Melbourne.

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:36 AM
I suggested Sveta months ago. Sveta's going to earn millions on the tour.
Even if she never gets into the top 20. Every major, 6 figures.

Keith17
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:40 AM
It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Shyperova is either the_cat or Sharky...

Sveta has proved herself to be a great doubles' player... and she's only 18. Lena needs to give her a call.

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:46 AM
If she's playing with Elena L., then Lena is an upgrade. That really is possible, if Lena wants to do it.
And I think Sveta can improve. Lena/Sveta could be multiple slam winners.

Keith17
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:50 AM
I don't know if Lena is an upgrade over Elena L... however, Elena L. isn't going to be playing top-notch tennis for much longer.

Lena is an extremely good volleyer, with possibly the best volley technique in the women's game... and has those incredible angles that she can pass people with. Plus, she's 6'3, and her arms go on forever.

If Kim can be the #1 doubles player in the world, while having NO overhead... Lena can get there.

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:59 AM
Lena, with a good partner, would have a room full of slam trophies. And a huge mansion.
I'm a big doubles fan. If I was on the tour, I would try to make friends with someone like Lena. To be her partner.
2 slam finals, 2 slam quarters, and a YEC spot is almost half a mill. Just for those 5 doubles events.
If you have the talent, why not take the money?

Keith17
Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:02 AM
I agree... but it will never happen, because there's more money in singles.

Even Lena at her worst is gonna be a Top 50 singles player.

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:08 AM
This is what Paola made in 2003-
408,284 in singles, 621,939 in doubles. And she's an okay singles player.
Money isn't everything. But it's there. And Lena can get some of it. And doubles is fun.

Keith17
Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:10 AM
I'm surprised that Paola made more in doubles. :o

Lena, find a good partner, and play doubles fervently. :haha:

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:14 AM
This title will make her think. Winning is fun. She gets a nice check. Why not play doubles at the majors?

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Lena is skipping Tokyo. Last year she and Rennae won the doubles.

Keith17
Feb 4th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Lena is a wimp with injuries, thus she'll never play doubles consistently.

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Lena is an Australian Open champion. Forever.
I'm not concerned about skipping a week or two. No one should play every week.

Keith17
Feb 4th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Lena should try winning in singles. That would be nice. Forever.

Stop typing like me. I originated it. Thanks.

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Typing like you? You mean with two fingers?
Are you busy making enemies?

Keith17
Feb 4th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Don't be smart.

Using proper typing, like me. Saying short sentences. Like this.

Anyway, Lena is playing Paris and Antwerp. Tough draws. She'll need to play well to get into the 2nd round.

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Lena needs some wins. She should play Memphis.

goldenlox
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Sveta is supposed to play Paris and Antwerp. And Elena L. isn't.
So Lena should ask Sveta to play doubles. See if they make a good team.

the cat
Feb 7th, 2004, 07:46 PM
I know who I want Lena to play doubles with. They would make a powerful team off the fround and a very intimidating team with their size.

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2004, 07:58 PM
If Lena teams with Sveta, that team could last for years, and earn millions, and win majors.
If Lena teams with Maria, IMG might want Ashley, or someone else, to be her partner.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:39 AM
"Using proper typing, like me." - Hater.
LOL!

the cat
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:23 PM
A Lena - Maria doubles team would be devastating off the ground! :D Serving second serves to them would be hazardous to the doubles player at the net on the other team! :eek:

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Lena isn't playing doubles in Paris. She didn't play women's doubles in Melbourne.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Lena played doubles with Conchita in Sydney. That's it so far. Very strange. Now we see if winning a major gives Lena some confidence in singles.