PDA

View Full Version : If Venus wins Antwerp she is 100% #1

mn73
Feb 16th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Because the following week Jennifer will lose points from Oklahoma so Venus will start the week FOUR POINTS ABOVE Jennifer, so a first round loss at Dubai would still put her at #1.

I'm a huge Jennifer fan but I will congratulate Venus on reaching #1 - thoroughly deserved. :)

LucasArg
Feb 16th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Congrats Miss WIlliams:kiss:

auntie janie
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:31 PM
This is exciting! But I HOPE it doesn't mean that Venus will withdraw from Dubai! :eek:

Well done, Vee! :cool:

IAM#1
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:22 AM
So if Venus wins Antwerp she is the new #1.. I am just making sure before I get my hopes up.. I hope so..

essielewis
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:45 AM
So Venus is actually playing THREE tournaments in a row??? WHY?? I don't get it. She should be leery of injuries. I know she filled in for Serena in Belgium and she's probably getting a lot of money for playing Dubai but it's not worth risking an injury.:sad:

I hope she plans to rest a bit after Dubai.:cool:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:48 AM
I guess what I should be saying is - its about damn time :)

Congrats to her when she finally gets there "officially"

Mark43
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Jen is my absolute favorite but I think it is very cool that Venus will become number 1 with a win tomorrow. I really like Venus and think it is great for the game that she is playing a full schedule. Even better is a tight race for number 1 with Jen. It makes women's tennis incredibly exciting. Let's hope Lindsay can comeback soon and join the race.

Aci79
Feb 17th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Well... she is probably deserve a rest..

Hopefully she won't start missing tournaments again as soon as she has reached her goal to be #1... the next goal of her should be maintaining that #1 spot.

SerenasMelons
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:05 AM
WHOOO!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GO VENUS, ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME!!! :)

disposablehero
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Three tournaments in a row is not unusual. Venus has had a bye every week, and got a walkover. If she makes the Dubai Final, that's 11 matches in 3 weeks. Not a big deal as far as injury risk.

Williams Rulez
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Congrats Venus! :D

You can do it!!! :bounce: :bounce:

victory1
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Plus she will take over 1 month off after this tournament.

Veronique
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Essielewis,

After Dubai, V. doesn't play until the Ericcson in mid March since she & Serena did not enter Indian Wells this Year.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Are you sure of this, Mark? By my calculations, Capriati has:

4825 points now;
defending 141 from Week 8 (OK City) last year

New total:

Venus had 4481 points at the start of the week;
was defending 113 from Week 7 (Nice) last year;
gets 195 round points for winning Antwerp;
4 Quality Points for defeating #89 Kournikova;
35 Quality Points for defeating #13 Farina Elia;
43 Quality Points for defeating #10 Mauresmo;
43 Quality Points for defeating #9 Henin.

New total:

4481 - 113 + 195 + 4 + 35 + 43 + 43 = 4688.

So it's actually SEVEN points.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but I was using faulty numbers that were off by eight points in Capriati's favor, so I was originally going to post a message saying that Capriati would be #1 by one point. :o

Of course, Capriati should end up at #1 following IW, if she can reach the final in Scottsdale.

Having said that, Venus is probably going to have to start worrying more about *Hingis* in the race for #1. Hingis does seem to have upped her play, and doesn't exactly have good results from the rest of the year after Dubai. Of course, after Scottsdale, Hingis will still be ~1000 points behind Venus.

Good for Venus and the Tour for her to be playing a reasonably full schedule! (I must admit, however, that I'd prefer to see *Dementieva* #1, with my preferences following that being Rubin, the Belgian girls, and Bedanova and Hantuchova. So I'm really rooting for Henin tomorrow. :p )

Williams Rulez
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:56 AM
No... I did some calculations of my own. It is indeed 4 points that Venus will have over Capriati :p

You can see the calculations in the Williams Tennis Association thread in the players forum if you want to see my calculations :)

Linton
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Mark I cant totally agree with u here.

Your Saying Venus weill position herself to Number 1?

Ok u are right here but what depth ha she earned it. I mean being a good overall achiever she deserves number 1 like anyone else. But If anyone in the top 5 played and won 2 tournaments in a row can sure win it to. and whatabout the field of the event I mean its not exactly strong.? any questions?

Sofiane
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Ok guys don't jix her! she still has to play Henin tomorrwo.

Williams Rulez
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Linton
Mark I cant totally agree with u here.

Your Saying Venus weill position herself to Number 1?

Ok u are right here but what depth ha she earned it. I mean being a good overall achiever she deserves number 1 like anyone else. But If anyone in the top 5 played and won 2 tournaments in a row can sure win it to. and whatabout the field of the event I mean its not exactly strong.? any questions?

Right.... at least Venus is holding on to 2 slams and only 15 events when she becomes number 1?

What about Martina when she was number 1 last year? :rolleyes:

jomar
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:14 AM
it's about time for her. this would only show that somebody has to work her ass off in order to reach the no.1 ranking.;)

A4
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Disposablehero, yes I agree she's played 11 matches, but have you factored in Amelie? That girl is a really tough customer, I'm sure playing her will be like playing five matches. Even Venus said it felt like a grand slam final. Playing and her thrice in three weeks is not something I'd wish on any player easily.

Kart
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Amelie and Monica are in the same half of the Dubai draw so Venus will only have to face one of them.

Congratulations to Venus on getting to no.1, she deserves it :).

ajayares
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I think it would be best if Venus does win Antwerp.. that she does withdraw from Dubai..

There is know point in risking an injury now, that she would have reached #1..

BTW this is all tongue in cheek.. because I see that Anna is drawn to face her in the second rd :( :(

But seriously she has not played that much tennis over the past few weeks. so why would you think she is playing too much.. She gets a bye.. and won Paris without playing the final..

Robbie.
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:00 AM
I agree, if Venus wins tommorrow she should withdraw from Dubai....she has already played quite a few tourneys this year and playing for a third week in a row puts her in danger...her tendonitis could flare up again. And she doesn't want that happening just before the clay court season when she really has to be fit and to knuckle down and perform if she wants to keep #1 for any extended period.

Congrats Venus (i'm actually rooting for her tonight for the first time ever because I really think she deserves #1) Good Luck tommorrow Venus...but I hope Marti takes #1 off you soon ;)

Sal U. Lite
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:05 AM
I also did the calculations, and Venus will be number one, with a lead of 4 points. (If she beats Henin in Antwerp).

Congratulations, Miss Venus.:)

joe
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:26 AM
It was only a matter of time. She is almost there and I hope she stays number one for very long time. But then again who knows with all these injuries and susceptibility to injuries.

the_ancyent_marinere
Feb 17th, 2002, 11:03 AM
I will congratulate Ms Williams when she finally becomes the no 1! Just as Jenn, Hingis, Davey and many others before them have rightfully earned it, Venus Williams will have earned it rightfully too. All the nonsensical ideas about players not deserving the top spot, except for the Williams sisters, I now hope will cease!

mn73
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:43 PM
I think there is no way anyone can say that Venus does not deserve to be #1, so it doesn't matter that she bumped up her schedule to get there. Why shouldn't she - the fact remains she did all the hard work in big tournaments to get that close to it. She thoroughly deserves it - and beating Amelie Mauresmo twice and Justine Henin to get there is pretty high-level stuff if you ask me.

I don't think she will withdraw from Dubai. A four point lead over Jennifer is not enough to maintain the #1 ranking really with the Indian Wells points coming off, Venus will be willing to play another four matches to hold on to it for a while.

I'm bummed that Jen didn't get into double figures for weeks at #1, but I do think Venus does deserve the #1 ranking too.