Roxers
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Stefanie Maria Graf

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:39 PM
The one with the most slams, I guess?!

KV
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:54 PM
The edge on M. Navratilova still playing doubles and winning titles. Though it's hard to compare generations.

Glenn
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Steffi Graf.

Mikey
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Martina Navratilova by a mile.

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Steffi has the results, but I´m tempted to pick Martina N over steffi...simply because Martina had to contend with WORTHY rivals through-out her whole career: Chrissy, Hana,etc....while the same can´t be said about Steffi.

calabar
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:17 PM
First you must define history

irma
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Steffi has the results, but I´m tempted to pick Martina N over steffi...simply because Martina had to contend with WORTHY rivals through-out her whole career: Chrissy, Hana,etc....while the same can´t be said about Steffi.
nonsense nav beat evert 13 times in a row once. steffi had many opponent who at least beat her once in between;)

I go for Court though, because she has the most slams, won slams over 13 years(nav, steffi, and evert all stopped after 12 years. steffi retired out of free will so that's no excuse) and also had to take care of her children at the end
Steffi doesn't even have time to watch hubby so I don't think she could play tennis at the same time too, but she is the best in my heart anyway :lol: ;)

alfajeffster
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:46 PM
I'd like to participate in this poll, but am unable to answer such a vague question. Perhaps:

"Who is the greatest singles player in tennis history?"

or

"Who is the greatest player (singles and doubles) in tennis history?"

or

"Who is the greatest doubles player in tennis history?"

Any of these questions is answerable.

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:49 PM
nonsense nav beat evert 13 times in a row once. steffi had many opponent who at least beat her once in between;)

I go for Court though, because she has the most slams, won slams over 13 years(nav, steffi, and evert all stopped after 12 years. steffi retired out of free will so that's no excuse) and also had to take care of her children at the end
Steffi doesn't even have time to watch hubby so I don't think she could play tennis at the same time too, but she is the best in my heart anyway :lol: ;)

aaah...just had to test you a bit. ;)

Court, Nav, Steffi, you can´t go wrong with either of them.

Ballbuster
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Serena Williams of course.

Allez-H
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:52 PM
:worship:Steffy Graf :worship:
22 singles Grand Slams

Gabra
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Steffi

MisterQ
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:25 PM
I voted Navratilova because of her phenomenal win streaks, 82-1, and 6 majors in a row, as well as her doubles play. But the case for Steffi is good as well...

I am AMAZED that Margaret Court has ZERO votes right now!!! True I didn't vote for her, but the case for her is quite strong.

alfajeffster
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:37 PM
I voted Navratilova because of her phenomenal win streaks, 82-1, and 6 majors in a row, as well as her doubles play. But the case for Steffi is good as well...

I am AMAZED that Margaret Court has ZERO votes right now!!! True I didn't vote for her, but the case for her is quite strong.
Okay, I'll change that. When singles, doubles, and mixed are taken into consideration, Margaret Smith Court is the greatest of all time, period. Martina has a little ways to go yet (and I'm all for her getting there)!

Pamela Shriver
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Hm. Orginal. And I've said it before, I'll say it again. Why the giraffe aint I on this list!?

schris
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:15 PM
one more time :

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
Stefanie GRAF
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

JustineTime
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:17 PM
:scratch:

I Stefinitely think it was a German...

;)

tennisIlove09
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Next to impossible to pick between Court; Navratilova and Graf. Anyone who picks anyone one besides one of those three isn't thinking.

Lady
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Steffi :)

Belgium = Best
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Hingis :)
Her technique is so good!! :D :)

:wavey:

M&M
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:44 PM
steffi

Philip
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:54 PM
heart says monica

head says steffi

Andy T
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:57 PM
For me its Martina by a whisker from Court and Graf. You can argue the stats this way and that but in my personal opinion Martina could do just about everything with the ball and played tennis the way I feel it should be played. Nonetheless, I agree with all those who said it's a toss up between them. Each was sublime in her own way,along with many others like King Evert, Goolagong and a host of the modern stars. Then there are all those we never got to see who went before.

darren cahill
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:04 PM
theres a real cutie above me! :kiss:

I picked Steffi Graf of course but have no problem with Navratilova either....

alfajeffster
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:57 PM
in my personal opinion Martina could do just about everything with the ball and played tennis the way I feel it should be played.Spoken like a true lefty!:p

P.S.- hello Andy!!!

Couver
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Steffi hands down :bounce:

But Monica might have been :sad:

Vitto de Bever
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Graff is my all-time favourite, also like Evert. What is Serena doing in this list ? And where are Kim & Justine ?

hythger
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:29 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: Steffi Graf:worship: :worship: :worship:
also like Monica and Martina Hingis!

Lindsay A Davenport
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Hello!? This is THE player that everyone wishes they could be.

spiceboy
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:34 PM
I picked Steffi Graf of course but have no problem with Navratilova either....

Exactly my thoughts :)

WTTA Game
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Steffi. She has the most records, which won't be overtaken for a long time to come.

ktwtennis
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Picked Seles

azza
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Nicole Pratt :)

Diya
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:46 PM
The unlucky queen , Monica Seles :worship:

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Graff is my all-time favourite, also like Evert. What is Serena doing in this list ? And where are Kim & Justine ?

If you don´t agree with serena on the list, then why are you asking for Kim and Justine. Hello, Kim hasn´t even won a slam yet.

Vitto de Bever
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:02 AM
If you don´t agree with serena on the list, then why are you asking for Kim and Justine. Hello, Kim hasn´t even won a slam yet.

I think that none of them should yet be in a best ever poll and especially not Serena, who's unsportiveness is a champion unworthy. But if U do include Serena then Kim & Justine should also be in.

PS : It won't be long before Kim starts winning Slams.

Joachim
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Serena has 6 singles GS. I hope Kim&Justine will have more than Serena&Venus.

ys
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:52 AM
No one compares to Anna K. ;)

Joachim
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Martina won 340 tournaments and 57 GS

hingis-seles
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Can't argue with Martina Navratilova or Margaret Court. IMO, it's between those two.

Steffi has some spectacular records so she's right up there with the best of them as is Chris Evert. Evert always gets the short shrift in these greatest ever threads.

And what happened to Helen Wills Moody, Maureen Conolly and Suzanne Lenglen? Why have Hingis, S.Williams been mentioned and not any one of these three women? :confused:

hingis-seles
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:42 AM
:wavey: to alfa, irma, Andy and darren! :)

bandabou
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM
I think that none of them should yet be in a best ever poll and especially not Serena, who's unsportiveness is a champion unworthy. But if U do include Serena then Kim & Justine should also be in.

PS : It won't be long before Kim starts winning Slams.

:haha: :rolls: and Justine is mrs sportsmanship?! Please!!

Venus, Lindsay make the list before a Belgian any day!

Stefwhit
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Steffi IMO....

“When I first started playing tennis I wanted to be the greatest of all time and the closer I got to being called that, the more I realized that’s bullshit because you can’t compare [different] generations. And you can’t compare Suzanne Lenglen to me because if i had been born then and played then, I would have been a different player. But what you can do is take people from their generation and see how much they dominated it. And perhaps you can say Suzanne Lenglen was on par with me. And I’m on par with Steffi Graf.’ - Martina Navratilova

When asked about naming the all time top five Martina Navratilova replied by saying, “I’m not going to give the order because that’s impossible. Without the [1993] stabbing, Monica Seles would definitely be up there. But Monica doesn’t have the numbers, unfortunately. She had the talent for it, but it was taken away. That being said, I have to say Steffi, Billie Jean [King], Margaret Court, Chris Everet, and Suzanne Lenglen. -Martina Navratilova

....I thought it would be interesting to hear what one of the greatest thinks on this particular subject.

hingis-seles
Jan 27th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the quotes, Stefwhit! :)

I recall you posting these quotes earlier (was it you?) and I saved them. Always interesting to read. Glad that Martina Nav acknowledges the affect the stabbing had on tennis history.

tennisvideos
Jan 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Lenglen... Wills... Court... Navratilova... on the top rung

then Connolly... Graf... Evert... and a few others

Manu79
Jan 27th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Steffi :p

Sam L
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Helen Wills.

Pintaled
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Martina Nav and Lenglen :)

Mattographer
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:19 PM
THE LEGENDARY MARTINA NAVRATILOVA!!

morbidangle
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:37 PM
STEFFI!!:bounce: :worship:

-Ph51-
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Margaret Court

William Hunt
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I voted Chris Evert but also rate Hingis, Jean King & Graff very high.

William Hunt
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:31 PM
btw : I don't think that Serena should be in this poll ! With her behaviour she doesn't deserve to be in a best ever poll.

SJW
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I think that none of them should yet be in a best ever poll and especially not Serena, who's unsportiveness is a champion unworthy.
:haha: :haha:

so you want Henin added to this poll huh? :)

SJW
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:37 PM
btw : I don't think that Serena should be in this poll ! With her behaviour she doesn't deserve to be in a best ever poll.
:baby: :baby:

William Hunt
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:39 PM
No one compares to Anna K. ;)
yeah right, and what did she win ? What are her achievements ?

Markus
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:40 PM
for me it's definitely steffi. but i have to say i am very biased...i followed her career since 1985 and it was a pleasure to see her all the years !! and it hurts so bad to see her in berlin in 1990 where she lost her first match against monica because it was a match where monica was the better player...my highlights are the french open 88 final against zvereva the legendary 6-0 6-0, '87 against navratilova and the dramatic fight '99 against hings, wimbledon finals '88 against navratilova, '92 against monica, usopen final '89 against navratilova, '95 against monica...

AlwaysGraf
Jan 27th, 2004, 06:39 PM
STEFFI GRAF

http://grove.ufl.edu/~cwarner/people/SGraf.html

alfajeffster
Jan 27th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Margaret Court
What a terrific photo Ph51- I wish it was bigger. It shows the athleticism that Margaret had very well.

Bероника
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Monica Seles :hearts:

alfajeffster
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:37 PM
And what happened to Helen Wills Moody, Maureen Conolly and Suzanne Lenglen? Why have Hingis, S.Williams been mentioned and not any one of these three women? :confused:
I TOTALLY agree! In fact, I was on my way to writing the exact same thing. Helen Wills held the record for most Wimbledon singles titles for years until Martina finally won again in 1990. I think people tend to forget or ignore players that far in the past, and it's unfortunate. Much as I love her, Virginia Wade isn't in the same category as the others, either.

-Ph51-
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:45 PM
A pic of Suzanne Lenglen!

alfajeffster
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:51 PM
A pic of Suzanne Lenglen!
How do you say it: Mon petit chou!

-Ph51-
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:56 PM
:lol: ;) :angel:

darren cahill
Jan 27th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Steffi IMO....

“When I first started playing tennis I wanted to be the greatest of all time and the closer I got to being called that, the more I realized that’s bullshit because you can’t compare [different] generations. And you can’t compare Suzanne Lenglen to me because if i had been born then and played then, I would have been a different player. But what you can do is take people from their generation and see how much they dominated it. And perhaps you can say Suzanne Lenglen was on par with me. And I’m on par with Steffi Graf.’ - Martina Navratilova

When asked about naming the all time top five Martina Navratilova replied by saying, “I’m not going to give the order because that’s impossible. Without the [1993] stabbing, Monica Seles would definitely be up there. But Monica doesn’t have the numbers, unfortunately. She had the talent for it, but it was taken away. That being said, I have to say Steffi, Billie Jean [King], Margaret Court, Chris Everet, and Suzanne Lenglen. -Martina Navratilova

....I thought it would be interesting to hear what one of the greatest thinks on this particular subject.
why didnt Martina list herself? Surely she knows shes one of the 5 best of all time? that was no time to be modest! ;)

Kart
Jan 27th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Where's Gabriela Sabatini in this poll :mad:

I go for Court though,
:speakles:

Now I've seen everything ;).

I voted for Steffi to make up for you voting for Court (which I'm sure you did :p) because she's the best singles player ever IMHO and I don't care about doubles :).

darren cahill
Jan 27th, 2004, 09:58 PM
:wavey: to alfa, irma, Andy and darren! :)
:wavey: :kiss:

Andy T
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Martina won 340 tournaments and 57 GS

Make that 58 GS (18 singles, 31 doubles and 9 mixed) and counting Joachim. Above the 340 singles and women's doubles, you need to add at least another dozen for mixed titles in the Grand Slams and other events. That said, Court wins the numbers battle comfortably with almost 200 singles titles alone and many more mixed titles than Navratilova.

I honestly think that all we can hope to do is group these greats into levels. A definitive hierarchy is - thankfully - impossible to establish. Let's just appreciate each in her own way and accept each other's preferences.