PDA

View Full Version : Sinners & Saints

Fantastic
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I was reading the transcripted Anastasia Myskina interview after her win over Chanda Rubin today, and one thing she said that stood out for me was that she's "maybe, not very nice" on the court but that she's "a nice person" off it.

Which other players are like that? Whether you found out by reading an interview, a magazine article or witnessed it first-hand, please share with us.

I don't suppose it's an unusual phenomenon at all, but I'm curious to know which players are perceived as "total bitches" on the court, but are really "angels" away from it.

I'd like to make a special mention for Miss Jan-Michael Gambill (in keeping with the WTA board rules). She looks to be a total Gina-hard-faced bitch on the court, but through press interviews and player perceptions, is said to be very laid-back and relaxed away from it.

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:05 PM
I've done a chat with Gambill, and he was very very arrogant.

But, in general, most players who seem "bitchy" on court, are nice in person. Examples: Marissa Irvin, Mo Drake, Myskina, Jidkova and pretty much every Russian.

Fantastic
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:15 PM
I've done a chat with Gambill, and he was very very arrogant.

Really? Well, he sucks now. I guess he needed to compensate somehow to mask suffering the embarrassment over his decline. Bad on you, Miss Gambill! :o

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:18 PM
This chat was back in 1999 Memphis... before he luckily won Scottsdale. He was still a nobody then, which made it funny.

Fantastic
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Monica Seles said Jan Gambill was so relaxed off the court it was like (s)he was a different person. Was it an internet chat, Keith? What did Jan say that was arrogant?

Speaking of Monica, she's allegedly not very nice to ballkids. If she doesn't receive immediate attention from them when she needs a ball, she'll look pissed and wave at them mockingly - that's "sinner" material in my books. Away from the court, she's serious but put a camera in her face and she'll smile a lot. Erm, I don't know if that really makes her a "saint" or not though. :o

tennnisfannn
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Off court that would depend on who is being asked. Serena would say Venus and vice versa, Kim would probable say Jennifer, JHH would say Shaugnessy etc. Try asking JHH how nice Kim is off court and she would probablyu roll her eyes at you. During one Hingis commentaries, she was asked if Venus would be lonely without Serena there she said Venus was friendly and had alot of other friends on the tour.
But martina would favour Kim anytime.