PDA

View Full Version : Bolletieri Kids

Fantastic
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:49 PM
We know all the famous ones like Andre Agassi, Monica Seles, Jim Courier, Anna Kournikova, Tommy Haas, Maria Sharapova and Todd Reid. Some kids were highly touted but never made it, while some played for a short time on the pro tour but disappeared. Today, I learned that Fabiola Zuluaga was a Bolletieri kid. She's someone who's definitely made it. Tommy Haas' sister, Sabine, was there for awhile, wasn't she? I think she was the reason Tommy went there in the first place. Jimmy Arias and Aaron Krickstein were also former students.

Which other players past and/or present, learned their craft at Nick Bolletieri's Tennis Academy in their formative years that we may not all necessarily know about?

Yonge
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Xavier Malisse.

rand
Xavier Malisse

danra
Megan Miller trained there early/mid 90s, before heading off to play at Duke and then (I believe) stopping playing altogether...

rand
:lol:

joegerardi
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Daniela Hantuchova, but moreso on a pert-time basis.

..Joe

Fantastic
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I read in her AO interviews that Tatiana Golovin trained at Bolletieri's until last year when she moved to train back in Paris.

*JR*
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Mirjana Lucic (the last couple of years). :o

Sash1
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:38 PM
jelena jankovic (apparently nick's favourite "pupil" :eek: )

Martian Willow
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Mirjana Lucic (the last couple of years). :o

A lot of players have trained there but aren't really 'Bolletieri kids'. There's an alumni on their website, but it includes nearly everyone who even stepped through the front gates, ie Lucic, Majoli (I think), Venus and Hingis.

malaye
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:43 PM
I read in her AO interviews that Tatiana Golovin trained at Bolletieri's until last year when she moved to train back in Paris.
That's right. She spent something like 7 years there !

fleemke³
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I wanted to say Malisse but I think I was too late ;)

Allez-H
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Elena Bovina

morbidangle
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Mary Pierce!

Martian KC
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Xavier Malisse:tape:

Andre@
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Andre Sa The brazilian at the moment he is ranked #230 and he is playing the quarter finals in doubles at Aus Open 2004.

Butr he was ranked #50

Bacardi
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:58 PM
I was there for about 3 years, and as we know I never made it ;)

Oh well, over 10 years later and I can still remember my daily schedule there :scared:

alfajeffster
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:59 PM
"Nick Bolletieri doesn't even play tennis" - John McEnroe

cool bird
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I thought Venu,Serena and Roddick went there. That why they moved to florida when they where young.

Or was it a different tennis school

alfajeffster
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:22 PM
I thought Venu,Serena and Roddick went there. That why they moved to florida when they where young.

Or was it a different tennis school
Venus and Serena did work out briefly at Bolletieri, but moved on to Rick Maci's Academy, where they learned and developed almost all of their games.

Fantastic
Jan 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Here's one from left field - Kaoru Shibata.

We sure love our Xavier Malisse, don't we? ;)

Ah, Iva Majoli, that's right. She was there before Kournikova.

William Hunt
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:19 PM
There is one 12 year old girl that is already hailed as the new Henin, she was picked up personally by Nick Bolletieri last year, who will try to guide her to the top. Her name is Tamaryn Hendler and she could be as talented as other young Belgians Kirsten Flipkens or Aude Vermoezen.

Lelu
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Bollettieri's record is far less stellar than he would like us to believe. Sure, a handful of players made it to the pro tour, some of them with considerable success, but if one considers all the young talent this place attracts, then, Bollettieri's success rate is rather small and not very impressive. For every Tommy Haas or Maria Sharapova there are at least ten other juniors of equal talent who fail in their quest to become a pro because they were mishandled or did not receive enough personal attention. C.C. Sardinha, who is currently the No.1 ranked girl in the USTA 12's, originally moved to Bollettieri's from Arizona but did not like it there and, after a short stint, moved out from the NBTA (she still lives and trains in Bradenton). It turns out, she did not need Nick's often doubtful training methods to attain her No. 1 rank.

grmbl
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Iva Majoli. Stephanie Herz, 13 years and the 2nd best juniorplayer of te world.. ;)

Xian
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Austrian Anna Bartenstein 16 years currently playing her second ITF Challenger in Boca Raton

Fantastic
Feb 5th, 2004, 03:18 PM
I read today that Younes El Aynaoui was a Bolletieri student in his formative years.

©@®eLess
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Serbia Montenegro junior Teodora Mircic