View Full Version : The best matches in the tennis history

Joachim
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Graf - Sanchez Vicario RG 1996
Graf - Hingis RG 1999
Capriati - Henin-Hardenne US Open 2003

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:26 AM
the first two don't make the top three by a long shot. i can think of several matches just in the last few years that were of higher quality than those two graf matches.

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:28 AM
wills moody vs lenglen in the only battle they played (1926 is my guess)

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:30 AM

nah. the best tennis ever produced by the wta is going on right now. the game is constantly improving.

Joachim
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:32 AM
the first two don't make the top three by a long shot. i can think of several matches just in the last few years that were of higher quality than those two graf matches.

Yes but Steffi and Arantxa was a big rivals. The RG final in 1996 was fantastic.The match in the final in 1999 elected for the best match in the history.

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Yes but Steffi and Arantxa was a big rivals. The RG final in 1996 was fantastic.The match in the final in 1999 elected for the best match in the history.

Yeah, I know. But people are going for sizzle over substance with the 1999 RG Final. It wasn't that great of a match ... the behavior of Hingis made it fascinating.

Sam L
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:34 AM
It was in 1926 and it was in Cannes. :clap2:

skanky~skanketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM
its all about opinion.

i personally found justine vs jennifer wimby 01 totally fascinating!

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Serena vs Hingis at the ´01 Oz open wasn´t bad either and Serena vs Jen at Wimby ´03..

hingis-seles
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Serena-Martina H 2001 AO
Monica-Steffi 1992 RG

The Wimbledon final between BJK and Margaret Court. It was 1970 I think.

hingis-seles
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:04 AM
1999 and 2000 US Open semifinals between Hingis and Venus.

People also talk alot about the 1984 US Open final between Martina and Chris as being a great match.

Austin-Navratilova 1981 US Open final?

Seles-Sabatini 1990 VS Championships.

Andy T
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Check out the Blast From the Past thread, guys; a debate about this has been going on there for quite some time.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:11 PM
PPl who started following the game recently tend to discredit old great ones they haven't seen. Arantxa and Steffi played so many great matches and the 96 RG final and 95 Wimby stand out amongst them.

KV
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Go for Navratilova vs. Mandlikova when Hana was on. Great gutsy attacking display.

Calaer
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Serena-Martina H 2001 AO
Monica-Steffi 1992 RG

The Wimbledon final between BJK and Margaret Court. It was 1970 I think.

This was a definitely a classic match. Both were severely injured and practically limping.

AnDyDog621
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:10 PM
I reallie don't think jen's and justine's match at the USO last year was the best match ever, i saw it live and it was exciting and all but it just didn't feel like it was one of the best matches in WTA history

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:15 PM
I reallie don't think jen's and justine's match at the USO last year was the best match ever, i saw it live and it was exciting and all but it just didn't feel like it was one of the best matches in WTA history

Thing is...most people see choking as a good thing.

Crazy_Fool
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I dont like it. I would never put a choke job as a great match.

My fav was Justine v Jen Wimby 01, it was amazing.

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Didn´t see it, but that clearly indicated that Justine was gonna be a factor on grass. Too bad for her, there are already two other factors there.

shap_half
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:40 PM

I'm a pretty realistic person and I didn't really see it as choking in the part of Capriati. I thought it was a pretty well played matches with great rallies and excellent shot making throughout. Both players played well and even in the tiebreak, Jenn was still playing well and really were going for her shots (she was the only one to have a winner in the tie-break) but even on match points for Justine could really see her going for her shots and therefore making insane errors off her backhand. I wouldn't call it the best ever but I really don't think it's fair to call it a choke job.

Crazy_Fool
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Didn´t see it, but that clearly indicated that Justine was gonna be a factor on grass. Too bad for her, there are already two other factors there.
LOL. You should get the match. Justine looks so young and small and Capriati walking around as if she owns the court. Man some of the backhands and Justine beats her down in the 3rd set. I agree that if Justine hadn't got the Williams around, she would have won Wimbeldon already.

shap_half
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM
LOL. You should get the match. Justine looks so young and small and Capriati walking around as if she owns the court. Man some of the backhands and Justine beats her down in the 3rd set. I agree that if Justine hadn't got the Williams around, she would have won Wimbeldon already.

Justine have displayed some of her best tennis and some of the better matches of the past few years on grass and at Wimbledon. Aside from the aforementioned Capriati match, Justine's match against Monica in 2002 was also a great match with Justine winning 7-5 7-6. It was an excellent match with great winners and rallies. Grass may be Monica's worst surface but that match against Justine was just amazing.

Allez-H
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:46 PM

You know,what I loved so much about that victory?It's that nobody,expect for very few people:some crazy Belgians(one of them including me) and John Mc,saw Justine winning the match.I remember Pam saying that if she were Jen she would have signed for a semi like that from the beginning and Jen was saying that Justine is more a claycourt-player :rolleyes:

BTW:one of the other crazy Belgians was Lei himself :eek: He took a bet with some of Hewitt's friends of 20 pounds or so,that Justine would win!

alfajeffster
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:48 PM
nah. the best tennis ever produced by the wta is going on right now. the game is constantly improving.
Really? Where are all the serve-and-volley women right now?

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:54 PM
I'm a pretty realistic person and I didn't really see it as choking in the part of Capriati. I thought it was a pretty well played matches with great rallies and excellent shot making throughout. Both players played well and even in the tiebreak, Jenn was still playing well and really were going for her shots (she was the only one to have a winner in the tie-break) but even on match points for Justine could really see her going for her shots and therefore making insane errors off her backhand. I wouldn't call it the best ever but I really don't think it's fair to call it a choke job.

Aight...agreed.

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:55 PM

True that....has she even lost a set to a non-williams since ´01?!

Kart
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Graf - Sanchez Vicario RG 1996
Graf - Hingis RG 1999
Capriati - Henin-Hardenne US Open 2003
Agree that the first one was good.

The second had a lot of drama but not much in the way of quality.

The third, well let's just say I'm surprised JenCap could breathe at the end of the match - she'd choked herself so much.

shap_half
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:00 PM
True that....has she even lost a set to a non-williams since ´01?!

she hasn't and has only lost at the semis and final of the ordina open in the last two years (should have really won that 2002 SFinal and was injured in 2003). I think that this year MAYBE a good year for justine to win venus not having played well and serena really coming off a long lay off, if justine can put it together and win oz and rg, she may just go for her own run of slam wins! Here's hoping!!!!

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Are serve and volleyers the best players?

Brαm
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:03 PM
They probably all lost to powerful baseline players ;) ;) ;)

Allez-H
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:06 PM
she hasn't and has only lost at the semis and final of the ordina open in the last two years (should have really won that 2002 SFinal and was injured in 2003). I think that this year MAYBE a good year for justine to win venus not having played well and serena really coming off a long lay off, if justine can put it together and win oz and rg, she may just go for her own run of slam wins! Here's hoping!!!!
I guess we can allways dream!I mean we dreamed last year and look what happened ;)

tyk101
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Seles Vs Graf 1992 FO!

bandabou
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Now, now....are we greedy or what?!