PDA

View Full Version : Who are you cheering to win, and why? And who are you cheering against, and why?

Sam L
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:02 AM
FOR:

I've got it now. It's Mauresmo! Not because I think she has the best chance of winning (I don't) or that she's my favourite player (she's not) but I think it's about time for her.

It's been 5 years since her first slam final. I remember that match and since then she's come close but never reached a GS final, let alone a win.

She was a teenager then and now she's 24. If she's going to be a GS winning player in her career, this is IT! Go Amelie!

AGAINST:

Justine Henin-Hardenne. This is simple. I love Justine, but what she needs now is to prove against the Williams sisters on surfaces other than clay. There are no Williams here anymore and by her winning this tournament all she will get is (she's won yet another GS in Serena's absence). Her mental strength is already strong enough, there is nothing for her to gain from winning this tournament. And as a fan for me, it's boring. Somebody like Amelie or Kim winning could throw their mental strength to a very high standard and we could be seeing more competitive matches from them.

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Im cheering for Patty to win because She has said herself she has a grandslam in her and it would be a mervellous occasion for who to win because everyone knows her talent and potential that she has inside her Pale Swiss Skin.

Im Cheering Against Kim on this one, and this is simply because Kim is in Patty's Draw and for my own disliking of finals that encounter the same result being that of an All Williams or All Belgium, which could possibly be the case, Looking at this half of the draw there is 3 Players who I would of thought never challenge at a Grandslam, Patty, Lisa and Annastasia, With Flabiola in the top to ice the cake, So Much uniqueness and individuality especially in Patty's half makes the Quaters and Semis a real interesting tournament to watch, and I find it's too gratifying to have another final which we witnessed at Roland Garros and US OPEN, and a chance like this doesn't come very very often and it's to good of a chance to let it pass.

On the Side not Im also cheering against Lisa, So Patty can get into her first Semi Final at a Grandslam!!!

tony5299
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:18 AM
For: Anastasia Myskina because she's playing excellent tennis and is easily the nicest player on the tour. Deserves to win her first grand slam. Also she's the best looking by a mile. :worship:

Against: Clijsters, Henin and Davenport because they are irritating especially Clijsters. :mad:

tennnisfannn
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:19 AM
For: Zuluaga, Lisa, Patty would make me cry and believe that anything is possible. It would have to be the most unexpected result possibly of all time.
Kim coz it is about time. Amelie too.
Lindsay a chance for one last hurrah (seemingly)
Against: Justine. Nothing personal but not a great story compared to if any of the others won.
Realistically I expect an all belgian final with the same result from previous slam finals.

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:25 AM
I want Justine to win it all. Amelie and Patty would come in second;but
with the quality of play that Myskina and Lisa have shown this week,
I can't really find it in me to cheer against anybody. This is so weird! :lol:
If everybody plays out of their mind, I'm sure I could live with whoever
wins the tounrament. Just want quality 3 set thrillers.

It's amazing what a little gap in the draw due to injury, and
early round loses can do to a grand slam. Big ball bashers
are a minority this year in the quarter finals, and we the
supporters are reaping the benefits.

Stefwhit
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM
I'm rooting for Lindsay. I've never really been a fan of hers but since her come back in 2002 I've found myself seemingly wanting her to win more and more. She's gettin' up there in years and with talks of her not playing that much longer I'd love for her to go out on top. A win over a quality player like Justine would mean a lot to her and put her in a good position to win another slam. Additionally, it makes things that much more interesting for womens tennis. I'm simply wanting to break up the monotony of the same faces constantly winning (although I'm all for Serena winning everything she enters so don't pay attention to me).

Well..... I cheered against Venus but not cuz I don't like her, she's OK. I did it cuz i felt if she were to lose early it would help actually help her to really concentrate on getting "it" back and the loss would get her to take a more serious approach about her comeback, more importantly it would help Serena mentally prepare for her comeback. So basically Venus was my sacrificial lamb for my beloved Serena. I can picture Serena at home getting the news that her big sis was taken out early and I envision that making Serena even more determined then she already is. I'm hoping Serena was watchin and thinkin' to herself that ain't going to happen to me.... Now that Venus is out I'm rooting for Justine to be the next to exit. Justine losing will help to take the sting out of Venus' early loss. Even if Justine is lossing to a quality player, she's still looked at as the favorite to win and her lossing will just add more weight to the fact that the tennis mavens aren't as knowledgable as they like to pretend they are.

tennisIlove09
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:59 AM
For:

Lindsay Davenport: I have been a Lindsay fan for as long as I can remember. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see her win a major again before she retires, which sadly I think is near.

Anastasia Myskina: I love her fiesty attitude. I would LOVE an Davenport-Myskina final.

Against

Amelie Mauresmo: Not sure what it is, but I just don't like Amelie. Maybe it was her trash talking the seeding before the tournament began.

An All-Belgian Final: No offence, I just find their Slams utterly unwatchable.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:01 AM
FOR: Kim Clijsters. because 3 finals has gotta suck when you dont win. this is a great chance to win. its australia and she's excellent on this surface. i want to see her break that fucking duck and get the monkey off her back.

Justine Henin-Hardenne. because i'd like her have another slam in her list, it will boost her confidence even further, it will shut many haters' mouths and a win over lindsay and momo will help her catch up in the head to head department.

AGAINST: Lindsay Davenport. she's already won this title, she plays justine, i dont particularly like her (though she's ok)

Anastasia Myskina. i dont like her though she seems like a sweet person. there'll be too many threads like "fiesty RUSSIAN wins grand slam", hate her serve.

Patty Schnyder. headlines like "the next swiss miss" i jsut dont want to see. it'll probably be her ONLY slam, and she's most probably have to beat KIM to win, and justine.nope. i'm cheering against her.

IN THE MIDDLE: Amelie Mauresmo. (for) cuz i like her, she's very talented. (against) she could potentially face justine and beat her, but chances are she'll CHOKE in the finals OR she could beat KIM!so no.

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:15 AM
uughh Veronika, The Swiss Miss doesn't have anything to do with the Number of Slams, She is a Swiss Miss because she is our Swiss Miss, and that shes the Number #1 Swiss Player, Realising She is not going to be another Martina Hingis, but she is a Swiss Miss because thats her general Name we give her, nothing to do with taking Hingis's spot because the name of Swiss Miss was never dedicated in that way.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:21 AM
it was not directed to u personally manichelli. but every other hingis fan will say that. most probably.u know me better than that!:mad:

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Oh no I knew you wern't meaning that towards me ;) :wavey: It's just that I find the Swiss Miss name is used to account for the Number One Swiss Player, If Patty retired, then Emmanuelle would be the Swiss Miss, Martina will always carry the "Swiss Miss" Name because thats who she is, but in current terms the Number One player is the Swiss Miss :) And other players are to if you want them to be :)

skanky~skanketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:35 AM
yeah, but many, including to me, believe that hingis is the real "swiss miss" cuz she was the first one to accomplish so much.

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:37 AM
hehe...Well that name may have legioned here and forever will in Swiss Female Tennis, but currently Patty is the Swiss Miss, simply because she is Switzerlands Hope !!!

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:38 AM
yeah, but many, including to me, believe that hingis is the real "swiss miss" cuz she was the first one to accomplish so much.

Martina is not a ethnic Swiss. She's a Slovakian/Czech.

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Sam L,

This is turning out to be a really entertaining thread. It's refreshing,
with opinions and no pot shots or bashing. Good one Kid! :)

heartBREAKeRS
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Now that Serena and venu is not there, I think she has a very good and perfekt chance to win this grand slam... y go