PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favourite Russian ?

William Hunt
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Russian tennis is more and more dominating lately, and with so many young talents rising from the juniors to the top I'm wondering which Russians are the most popular.

PointBlank
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Nastya and Lana :):)

Get on MSN William :)

ghosts
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Vera Zvonareva
Elena Dementieva
Anastasia Myskina

:bounce:

LucasArg
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Petrova!:)

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Voskoboeva, because she's tied with Amy Frazier and Karolina Sprem as the palest girls on tour.

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Anastasia (what a darling!) and Zvonareva.

William Hunt
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:46 AM
I like Lina the most, also gave a vote to Vera (but she needs to learn to control her emotions.

ys
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:54 AM
And where is the most famous Russian of all?

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Last I checked, she's not a tennis player.

fammmmedspin
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Its difficult because I actually seem to like all of them and the fact that they all play differently means I might be perfectly happy with 10 of them in the top 20.

Its too early to judge the youngsters largely as they rarely appear on TV amd probbly are not near the final version yet.

Which means Anastasia gets the vote because (imho )she combines much of the power and skill of Dementieva or Petrova with a brilliant tactical/strategic brain to guide it. Chanda Rubin hasn't looked so amazed as a down-the-line passing shot shot by her for a ong long time.........

ys
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Last I checked, she's not a tennis player.
Last I checked, she still has rankings and hasn't retired yet. She is as much not a tennis player as ,say, Monica Seles.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:02 AM
i like vera z, vera d, maria and anna.

William Hunt
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:03 AM
I left Anna out on purpose, she is outside the top 300 now and the people who vote for her do this merely because of her looks, it has nothing to do with tennis.

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Hasn't retired yet...

To be young and full of hope...

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:04 AM
I left Anna out on purpose, she is outside the top 300 now and the people who vote for her do this merely because of her looks, it has nothing to do with tennis.
You are now one of my favorite posters! :)

I look forward to playing with you in WTTA! :)

William Hunt
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:04 AM
I saw Maria Kirilenko in Rome last year : she greatly impressed me, her style is a bit similar to Kirsten Flipkens. Also a girl to watch is Anna Bastrikova : very talented.

JLDementieva
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:25 AM
For the moment, Anastasia's my fav.!!!

Epigone
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:42 AM
I like most of the Russians, but Vera Zvonareva is my favourite :)

korben
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Koulikovskayas matches are fun to watch. :D

Of those top girls...Nadia :bounce:

Stefwhit
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Ur screen name is JLDementieva but ur favorite Rusian player is Myskina? R we jumpin' on the Anastasia bandwaggon?

All aboard the A-train, next stop Quarter Finals. I'm jumpin' on since my favorite player (Serena) was a no-show I gotta support someone....

Let's Go Mosquito

~RedRose~
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Ana, Elena D, Lina K, & Maria Kirilenko. :)

JLDementieva
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Ur screen name is JLDementieva but ur favorite Rusian player is Myskina? R we jumpin' on the Anastasia bandwaggon?

All aboard the A-train, next stop Quarter Finals. I'm jumpin' on since my favorite player (Serena) was a no-show I gotta support someone....

Let's Go Mosquito
That's why I put for the moment I like Anastasia better! For the moment only! But overall Elena's still my fav.!

Stefwhit
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:06 AM
That's why I put for the moment I like Anastasia better! For the moment only! But overall Elena's still my fav.!

I know there's all kinds of fans so I get what ur saying. I'm the kind of fan that's sticks with my faves through thick and thin, for better or worse so to speak. When Steffi was playing she was always my #1, just like Serena is now. No matter the results, first round losses or grand slam victories- I don't waiver on who I proclaim to be my favorite. But that's just me, like I said there are all different types of fans, it's no big deal I just thought that since Dementieva was ur screen name that she was ur ultimate fav (like Steffi and Serena are to me).

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Myskina and panova :) :)

tony5299
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Question was who is your favourite, not the most talented. Good luck Myskina

Couver
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Maria S. I love her game and her attitude.

propi
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Myskina and Likhotsheva :D

Roddick_tease
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Myskina. Zvonareva. Kournikova. Sharapova.

They're great.

I can't stand Petrova or Krasnoroutskaya. Two of the most overrated players in the game, in my opinion. And Petrova is a hardcore bitch.

Dementieva, as a person, I find boring. Her game is bleh. But when she is connecting with her shots she is absolutely amazing to watch.

Bovina could be interesting if she weren't such a waste of talent.

And nobody really cares about the rest.

Maajken
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:21 AM
lina, vera, dinara and elena L

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Kournikova and Krasnoroutskaya

Calaer
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Wow, you remembered to mention Bastrikova but not Likhovtseva ;)

tony5299
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Kournikova and Myskina :worship:

kfh_9118
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:37 AM
I like most of them, but among them, my favourites are: Elena Dementieva, Maria Kirilenko, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Vera Zvonareva and Maria Sharapova

kfh_9118
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Oh yeah, and also ANNA KOURNIKOVA :hearts:

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:45 AM
I voted for Safina and Mysky; but I don't mind them all. None really
to dislike except for Anna k. :lol: I have even warmed up to
Svetlana because I thought it was quite hilarious how she yelled
out "Vamos!!" during her match against NRR-DEN. I'll stop calling
Svet the poorman's ASV from now on. ;)

ALPHA
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Kournikova

ALPHA
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:06 AM

What a joke. Since when do you follow tennis, boy ? Makes a poll and wants to tell me why or why not I favor a certain player.

AnnaK achieved more in her career than all the other Russians together except Myskina, Dementieva & Petrova - YOU don't tell posters over here the reasons for AnnaK being the favorite player.

She earned it by playing the game the way she did !

carot
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Anna K of course. Out of the list: Lina

Sammm
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I voted for Sveta, but Tatiana Panova is my true fave.

Daniel
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Myskina :D

bubble
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I like all from the list too... but I voted for Nastya, Elena D, Safina, Vera and Maria

Kuilli
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Kuznetsova
Likhovtseva
Krasnoroutskaya
Zvonareva
Bovina

katrientje
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Kournikova, sharapova, but I also like Elena, Nastya and Vera and I can't wait to see Kirilenko play

SJW
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Nadia Petrova :inlove:
Elena Bovina :hearts:
Maria Sharapova :kiss:

Lady
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Nadia, Vera, Lina, Masha, Anna the most!

geewhiz
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Likhovtseva. But I also like Kuznetsova, Jidkova and Kulikovskaya

Bероника
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I only like Tatiana Panova and Dinara Safina.
I find the rest of them very boring.
I abslutely can't stand Petrova.I'm not fond either of MYskina & Dementeva.

Roxers
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:24 PM
in this order:
Dinara
Elena B
Nadia
Elena D
Anna K
Vera
Lina

Filadidas
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Dementieva
Zvonareva
Krasnoroutskaya

Manu79
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Dinara :p

Experimentee
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM
1. Bovina
2. Petrova
3. Likhovtseva
4. Safina
5. Fokina
6. Sharapova
7. Lina K

Dont like/care about the rest.

beauty_is_pink
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Anastasia Myskina
Elena Bovina
Lina Krasnoroutskaya
Nadia Petrova
Vera Zvonareva
Elena Dementieva

:D

TatiAnnahølic
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:34 PM
leaving the comments from the idiot who made the poll i vote for Anna

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:45 PM
What a joke. Since when do you follow tennis, boy ? Makes a poll and wants to tell me why or why not I favor a certain player.

AnnaK achieved more in her career than all the other Russians together except Myskina, Dementieva & Petrova - YOU don't tell posters over here the reasons for AnnaK being the favorite player.

She earned it by playing the game the way she did !

"Did" is the key word here...

Let's add Olga Morozova, who is arguably the greatest Russian ever if we're going to include players in the past.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:48 PM
The question is who would win in a fight, not who's your favorite. Anna's going to win favorite.

Fantastic
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:59 PM
No Elena Likhovtseva? Not that I'd vote for her anyway.

I really can't decide between a few of them. I voted for Dinara Safina but I also enjoy watching Anastasia Myskina. What's amazing about Anastasia is that over this past year, she has lost some weight yet gained power on her shots. How odd. I voted for Dinara because I hope she'll be as good as Marat and because she seems like such a nice girl and very friendly to the other players. She has a lot of friends on the satellite tour, most of whom aren't even Russian. I'm also looking to see how far Maria Sharapova can go even though I'm not a bandwagonner yet. There's something about her I don't really like and until I can figure out what that is and rationalize it, I'm hesitant to cheer for her. I also enjoy Elena Dementieva but she's so infuriating to watch sometimes. I'm a huge Anna Kournikova fan, and mainly of her tennis. I love her forehand even though it's too flat, and I love the wind-up on her serve even though it's crap. Her backhand is beautiful to watch though and her doubles play is so much more confident than her singles play. Other Russian I like are the Bovina backhand and the Zvonareva tenacity. I dislike Petrova, haven't really seen much of Krasnoroutskaya and only like Kuznetsova for her name.

Bezz
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:07 PM
How can yu leave Anna out of this poll, regardless of where she is ranked now :mad: - She was TOP 10 !. For anyone thinking of making favourite french players poll, dont add Testud to the list cos she is ranked way down, and the only reason yu would vote for her is cos she had a baby.:rolleyes:

KOURNIKOVA HANDS DOWN!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:11 PM
How can yu leave Anna out of this poll, regardless of where she is ranked now - She was TOP 10 !. For anyone thinking of making favourite french players poll, dont add Testud to the list cos she is ranked way down

The sad thing is... I don't think this intelligent tennis fan is joking.

Bezz
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:23 PM
The sad thing is... I don't think this intelligent tennis fan is joking.
Dont quite understand your post, but i was being sarcastic ;) . Anna hasnt retired yet and her rankings shouldnt count as to whether she is included in a post about Favourite Russians, and i am sure no one would have objected if the thread starter did include morozova. :D

ALPHA
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:37 PM
"Did" is the key word here...

Let's add Olga Morozova, who is arguably the greatest Russian ever if we're going to include players in the past.

So AnnaK retired already ? I must have missed something then.

Everyone can have his/her reasons to vote for players here. I don't argue about that.

But to start a poll and then to exclude some options, because the poster doesn't like them ... is, sorry, STUPID.

The explaination of leaving out AnnaK clearly indicates that he/she is not objective about Kournikova.

If she would have played tennis the past 3 months, he still wouldn't include her in that poll with the same lame explaination or with that very special statement, that Kournikova actually doesn't count as Russian anymore - the betrayer is more American than anything and the loser has nothing in common with Russian players.

Bottom line:

You can't vote for AnnaK here because he/she doesn't want you to vote for AnnaK. How brave and what a objective poll it is ...

JLDementieva
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I know there's all kinds of fans so I get what ur saying. I'm the kind of fan that's sticks with my faves through thick and thin, for better or worse so to speak. When Steffi was playing she was always my #1, just like Serena is now. No matter the results, first round losses or grand slam victories- I don't waiver on who I proclaim to be my favorite. But that's just me, like I said there are all different types of fans, it's no big deal I just thought that since Dementieva was ur screen name that she was ur ultimate fav (like Steffi and Serena are to me).

I don't think you get it, I don't like Elena any less right now, I just like Anastasia BETTER right now okay. But if Elena were to play Anastasia on any given day I would still go for Elena no matter what!! And it seems like you're saying that I'm not sticking up to Elena through thick and thin, which is absolutely not true. So maybe I should've just put both Elena and Anastasia down as my fav so that people won't misunderstand!

Juan
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:02 PM
dementieva

tall_one
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Dinara :)

GrahamD
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:44 PM
For the moment, Anastasia's my fav.!!!
Definately Anastasia :hug:

Jodie
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Alisa :)

Cariaoke
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Safina/Sharapova tied for first
Petrova
Myskina
Bovina
Krasnoroutskaya
Douchevina (after I see more matches)
others...

MisterQ
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Douchevina. She definitely has promise. Good court sense, defense and mental game.

strato
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:27 PM
1. Elenaaaaaa Dementievaaaaa
2. Anastasia, Lina, Vera Z.
3. Maria

+ Anna's (but not as a player :p )

ßcoene
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Maybe she's low in the rankings now, but that means nothing. She was once as high as number 8, reason enough to like her tennis.

TartarVicario
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Kuznetsova :kiss:
Myskina :D
Kirilenko :)

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:34 PM
So AnnaK retired already ? I must have missed something then.

Keep hoping she'll play again...

Vitto de Bever
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Elena Bovina

j_dementieva27
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:42 PM
god i love them all... krasnoroutskaya, bovina, sharapova, kirilenko, zvonareva, petrova, kournikova... and now, MYSKINA!!

but of course, my all time favorite is elena dementieva, the most beautiful, humble, and graceful lady on the court maybe ever