PDA

View Full Version : Anna Kournikova, when will she play again?

Jorn
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:41 AM
In Nordic Eurosport you can ask questions, and they continue to say, "Anna probably will never play a WTA tourny again"

Any news about when and where she will play a tournament again? never :confused: Will she play Miami?

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:47 AM
In March so, yeah.

PointBlank
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:49 AM
In the papers here she said she may come to present another check here in Memphis and she wants them to hold a w/c for her

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:43 AM
At this point.....in my opinion she really does not need to even return...she basically was a poor player while seasoned on the tour...lord knows how much worse she is now.

William Hunt
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:00 AM
I saw her in Pattaya (Thailand) last november.

She played an exhibition match against Tamarine Tanasugarn there, she didn't enter the tournament. Her popularity is still high but personally I doubt that she will ever get back in the top 100.

jdog3008
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:07 AM
At this point.....in my opinion she really does not need to even return...she basically was a poor player while seasoned on the tour...lord knows how much worse she is now.
:rolleyes:

ALPHA
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:58 AM
In Nordic Eurosport you can ask questions, and they continue to say, "Anna probably will never play a WTA tourny again"

Any news about when and where she will play a tournament again? never :confused: Will she play Miami?

Since when are you interested in AnnaK ? I thought you were a FORMER AnnaK fan ( afan - right ;) ).

Anyway, in December during her shortrip to India, Anna reportedly said that she hopes to comeback by March. That would make sence, since that probably means Key Biscayne, her "hometown" event.

KV
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:52 AM
At this point.....in my opinion she really does not need to even return...she basically was a poor player while seasoned on the tour...lord knows how much worse she is now.Since when is a 16 y.o. Wimbly semi-finalist a poor player? Since when is a player who def. Davenport, Hingis, Capriati a poor player? Since when is a former top ranked player a poor player?

Jorn
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Since when are you interested in AnnaK ? I thought you were a FORMER AnnaK fan ( afan - right ;) ).

Anyway, in December during her shortrip to India, Anna reportedly said that she hopes to comeback by March. That would make sence, since that probably means Key Biscayne, her "hometown" event.
I don't like when people tell wrong info, so I just like to know when she will play again. I was thinking to send a sms to the danish Eurosport commentator and tell that she plan to play again. and I still like to see her play. ;)
so, thanks for the info!

apoet29
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:20 PM
In the papers here she said she may come to present another check here in Memphis and she wants them to hold a w/c for her
Well, the tourney is from February 13-22, so if Anna is not ready to come back until March, then this tourney is a little early for her. I think Miami will be the place she starts her season off. She had some of her best results there and it is her adopted hometown.

I also looked at the commitment list and the tourney already has two wildcards reserved for Carly Gullickson and Bea Bielik. Since the tourney has already given two wildcards out, could it give out a third wildcard? How many wildcards can a tournament give out. Since Anna is no longer on the Gold Exempt list, can she get a wildcard based on her IR ranking?

Mase
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Im going to the Family Cup in April and they told me there were talking to her about playing there, so if thats any indication maybe that'll be her first tourney back, if not in Miami...

Wojtek
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:43 PM
On Saturday she was in St.Moritz (SUI) where she was running in bobsleigh. She looks great.

jenny161185
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:49 PM
cant wait till Anna comes back and shows people she's still got game I just want her to sort out some good coach for her return .

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Im going to the Family Cup in April and they told me there were talking to her about playing there, so if thats any indication maybe that'll be her first tourney back, if not in Miami...
Mase, I'm going to the Family Cup in April too! :hehehe:

We've got to hook up and watch some matches together...Maybe we can catch a Capriati Match and you can root for her and I can watch...:o

Mase
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Mase, I'm going to the Family Cup in April too! :hehehe:

We've got to hook up and watch some matches together...Maybe we can catch a Capriati Match and you can root for her and I can watch...:o
Oh thats crazy!! #2 and I are going down for my birthday, we'll have to met and chat for a bit! What kind of tickets did you get? Im only there for the semis and the finals, but hell those are going to be the best matches right??

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Oh thats crazy!! #2 and I are going down for my birthday, we'll have to met and chat for a bit! What kind of tickets did you get? Im only there for the semis and the finals, but hell those are going to be the best matches right??
I'm going for the whole week, I think. It depends on how much tax return I get...:hehehe:

No, I'm pretty sure I'm going for the whole week. that's a plan...we'll PM before the tournament and get it together. :kiss:

Bacardi
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:05 PM

Mase, I keep considering going to the Family Circle Cup down in Charleston. I went in 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001, but I haven't been back since. I got a paper for me to order tickets just the other day, and if I can talk BL into it I'll probably be down there. It might require sweet talking about a trip to the nearest beach afterwards but I'll try my best. Maybe we can all meet up for a drink or something! :wavey:

Anna should be back in March, after all how many news reports are right? By now she should have given birth to 3 of Enrique's children and we've not seen her with a one. Papers = lies.

Mase
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Ok cool sounds like a plan!! :kiss:

faboozadoo15
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:23 PM
hey!! im going to the family circle cup too...
did u ask abt mon or jenn too?

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:27 PM
yup its a plan...my electricity went out so that's why couldn't respond until now...:sad:

Darran
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:35 PM
When she was doing her bobsleigh run on eurosport over the weekend, they called her a "retired tennis player".

Mase
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:46 PM
hey!! im going to the family circle cup too...
did u ask abt mon or jenn too?
They said neither one of them had commited yet, so lets keep hoping they do! ;)

faboozadoo15
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:20 PM
ok thx

hythger
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:24 PM
I hope she comes back to the game and maybe win something!

Lindsay A Davenport
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:28 PM
She's probably not coming back because she is afraid of playing me.

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Since when is a 16 y.o. Wimbly semi-finalist a poor player? Since when is a player who def. Davenport, Hingis, Capriati a poor player? Since when is a former top ranked player a poor player?
Please recall, you ASKED this question.

Anna Kournikova became a 'poor player' sometime between Paris 2001 and San Diego 2001. Before making the QF's at Paris, she made the semis at Toray Pan Pacific, and the QF's at OZ.

16 T2 Sydney AUS
QF GS Australian Open AUS
SF T1 Tokyo JPN
QF T2 Paris FRA

So why is that 'became a poor player' rather than 'was out with an injury? Look at her 36 tournaments, spanning a couple years, since her return.
-- -- 2001 ---------------
m1 T2 San Diego USA*
m1 T1 Leipzig GER
r1 T1 Moscow RUS
r1 T2 Filderstadt GER
r1 T1 Zurich SUI
QF T3 Luxembourg LUX
-- -- 2002 ---------------
SF T4 Auckland NZL
r2 T2 Sydney AUS
r1 GS Australian Open AUS
SF T1 Tokyo JPN
r2 T2 Paris FRA
r2 T2 Antwerp BEL
r2 T2 Dubai UAE
SF T4 Acapulco MEX
r1 T1 Indian Wells USA
r1 T1 Miami USA
r1 T2 Amelia Island USA
r1 T1 Charleston USA
r2 T3?Bol CRO
r1 T2 Warsaw POL
16 T1 Rome ITA
r1 T3 Strasbourg FRA
r1 GS French Open FRA
r1 T2 Eastbourne GBR
r1 GS Wimbledon GBR
QF T2 Stanford USA
SF T2 San Diego USA
r2 T1 Canadian Open CAN
r1 GS U.S. Open USA
FR T4 Shanghai CHN
r2 T1 Moscow RUS
-- -- 2003 -----------
r1 T2 Sydney AUS
r2 GS Australian Open AUS
r1 T1 Miami USA
r1 T4 Sarasota USA
r1 T1 Charleston USA

36 tours
18 Ist round losses
2 1st match losses after byes
8 second round losses

When you lose your first MATCH of a tournament more than half the time ove r a two-and-a-half year period, you're 'poor'. That isn't a slump. Maybe (and this is quite possible) she was more badly injured than she let on, and played when she should have sat out.

Either way, that Wimbledon semi was almost a third of Anna's LIFE ago.

Anna's no more a good player now than Martina Hingis is an active player. And reciting past glory does neither of them any good.