PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Execs Explain Network's Australian Open Coverage

Linnie
Jan 25th, 2004, 10:54 PM
:rolleyes:
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=10318&bannerregion=

It's a little too long to post here, and besides, I don't want to stink up the board :p

Jeff
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Yeah, pretty much sticks with my view of ESPN. They're all about money, and nothing about fans. They say they are looking at drawing in more fans? Bull Crap. They say they are looking at the bigger scope...bull crap. If they were looking at the bigger scope they would realise that tennis fans are their own little community. There will always be less dedicated tennis fans than say basketball, baseball etc. etc.

They say their reason for showing only the top Americans is to "tell a story," and familiarize new fans; to draw them in. The bigger scope is, those fans they are trying to draw in...if they are only interested in seeing those top americans, they will never be dedicated viewers. The bigger scope is, the fans that are dedicated are pissed off, and are being ignored. It is more likely that ESPN will be losing more dedicated viewers than bringing in new ones.

It was quite obvious in that interview that the exec was annoyed. They are going to do what they want to do, what they think is right, and screw the fans!

Santorofan
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:26 PM
As I stated on the men's tennis forum, someone needs to start up an anti-ESPN website immediately which could unite fans who are concerned about this issue. Dissenting voices need to be heard. I'm curious if the general tennis media (both hard copy and electronic) will focus on the issue in any significant way. No doubt some will be very aprehensive to speak out about it, but the story needs to be told. If they outrage gets loud enough ESPN will eventually have to back down and reform it's current dumbed-down and dismill programming policy. Keep in mind, this network has the rights for three of the four Slams...perhaps such an organized effort might influence ESPN coverage on the remaining two slams??? It's worth a try I think!!

Midnite Surfer
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Could someone explain why they are showing the 25th seed Lisa Raymond playing an unseeded player when we already saw her play against Venus? While Chanda Rubin the 9th seed and an American player is playing Myskina who is the 6th seed and pretty damned popular. What the hell is up with that?

Santorofan
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:48 AM
You are not supposed to understand - ESPN defies all logic.