PDA

View Full Version : Serena opens her closet too controversy

harloo
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Serena Williams opens her closet to a storm of controversy

Tennis ace Serena Williams has opened up her closet in Palm Beach, Florida, to VH1 cameras - and upset animal rights activists in the process by revealing she owns a mink coat she never wears.

The sportswoman-turned-fashion queen showed off her huge collection of designer clothes and footwear as part of VH1 show Vogue Fashion Superstars.

But her donning of a white mink jacket has enraged animal rights group People For the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), who are calling Williams insensitive.

Serena boasted, "This is my first mink. I thought, 'I live in Florida, I'm never going to wear this,' and that's why I bought white because it'll work. I look like a pimp."

A PETA spokesman says, "It's shocking to see Serena crowing about a fur jacket she never wears. She should never have bought it in the first place."

Meanwhile, Williams admitted she's running out of closet space because she refuses to throw out old outfits and she's always off on shopping sprees.

She added, "I've somehow convinced myself that I don't have any clothes, so lately I've been shopping a lot.

"I collect panties, I love the Fendi bags and Gucci bags - you have to have a Gucci bag. There are Dolce suits everywhere you look and I love my old Valentino."

:lol:

Couver
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Serena :sad: :fiery:

starr
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM
This is the one where she declared: I love Fendi. But, who doesn't love Fendi."

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM
of all the ppl to be upset at-- serena williams??? she'll wear that coat sometime... and if not, shell auction it off someday for a good cause or something... why not puffy who owns likw 30 and wears each once?

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM
oops... i mean "diddy" of course :lol:

SerialKiller#69
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Oh well. That's disappointing. I agree with PETA, that was "insensitive".

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:34 PM
whatever.

Do you eat chicken? what about the poor chickens housed together in wire cages where they can't move? still eat chicken though?

Do you wear leather? what about the poor animals that died to make your belts and shoes and leather pants?

i swear if youre not a vegan please stop being such a hypocrite.

antonella
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:37 PM
this is all so incredibly silly...:fiery:

..notice everything the PETA types get pissy about such as furs, foie gras, SUVs are all thing they can't afford. PETA is nothing more than organized envy by a collection of neurotic losers. They just want to deny others pleasures.. modern-day Puritains is a more apt desription.

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:38 PM
whatever.

Do you eat chicken? what about the poor chickens housed together in wire cages where they can't move? still eat chicken though?

Do you wear leather? what about the poor animals that died to make your belts and shoes and leather pants?

i agree... however, i think theres a huge difference between the leather industry and the fur industry...

JustineTime
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:41 PM

..notice everything the PETA types get pissy about such as furs, foie gras, SUVs are all thing they can't afford. PETA is nothing more than organized envy by a collection of neurotic losers. They just want to deny others pleasures.. modern-day Puritains is a more apt desription.
:lol: Well said! Except the "puritans" part! :mad: ;) They are anything but! :rolleyes:

Berlin_Calling
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:45 PM

:haha::worship::haha:

get over it people! ive never seen so many people against wearing fur in one place :rolleyes::rolleyes:

antonella
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:45 PM
:lol: Well said! Except the "puritans" part! :mad: ;) They are anything but! :rolleyes:
Haha.. I was using the definition of a Puritan by HL Mencken:

A puritan is a person who has an overwhelming suspicion that somewhere, someone is having fun.

Rtael
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:46 PM

:tape: I'm guessing you're part of the fur industry?

Serendy Willick
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Bullcrap! I guess these animal rights nutcases didnt watch the Little Kim episode (They surely wouldnt be clowing Serena if they saw what she had in her closet). What about Lebron James modeling mink at a Monday night Cleveland Browns game? Guess they didnt say much about that:rolleyes:

Rocketta
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Aren't these the same people who put out an ad on Clay Aiken saying Neutering worked for Clay (or something like that)..:tape: All because he said when he was a teen he ran over a cat...He also said it haunts him but they don't care about that..:lol: Some of them are :retard:

Midnite Surfer
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:51 PM
PETA really has far greater battles to fight than one mink coat in Serena's closet. I don't think very many people ran out and paid $30,000 for a white mink coat just because Serena Williams owns one. :rolleyes: PETA can be sort of annoying. Especially when they try and force their morals on someone else. Also there are way too many children on this planet who are abused, starving to death you name it for them to devote their lives to a bunch of fuzzy little rats. :fiery:

Rocketta
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:55 PM
ohh, I found the slogan they ran against Clay, "Get Neutered—It Didn’t Hurt Clay Aiken,” and they tricked the Triumph the insult dog into coming up with that one.

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:00 PM
some of u are overlooking the problem. animals are being abused all over the world. in an ap government class in high school my teacher showed us some of the video clips from their website of what actually goes on, and it was wretched and really made me think about how things needed to change. i had always been a spoiled child, and it really changed my mind about things.

peta really is kinda brillaint from an outsiders perspective on how they get peoples' attention, if you think about it. plus, i know a few vegans who never bring it up really, it's just a part of their life that they don't feel the need to impose on anyone else.

not every animal rights activist wants to deny ppl who have money. many of them are very wealthy. u cannot make a generalization about everyone who seeks to uphold the rights of animals...

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:01 PM
PETA really has far greater battles to fight than one mink coat in Serena's closet. I don't think very many people ran out and paid $30,000 for a white mink coat just because Serena Williams owns one. :rolleyes: PETA can be sort of annoying. Especially when they try and force their morals on someone else. Also there are way too many children on this planet who are abused, starving to death you name it for them to devote their lives to a bunch of fuzzy little rats. :fiery:

i agree-- but does that mean that we should abandon the correction of all SMALL wrongdoings of humanity???

Rocketta
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:05 PM
some of u are overlooking the problem. animals are being abused all over the world. in an ap government class in high school my teacher showed us some of the video clips from their website of what actually goes on, and it was wretched and really made me think about how things needed to change. i had always been a spoiled child, and it really changed my mind about things.

peta really is kinda brillaint from an outsiders perspective on how they get peoples' attention, if you think about it. plus, i know a few vegans who never bring it up really, it's just a part of their life that they don't feel the need to impose on anyone else.

not every animal rights activist wants to deny ppl who have money. many of them are very wealthy. u cannot make a generalization about everyone who seeks to uphold the rights of animals...
Yes animals are tortured everyday all over the world..People are tortured everyday all over the world..Peta actually seems like they would torture people if they could...

I don't think they're brilliant..I don't know anyone who doesn't think those people are all nuts..I dont' see that helping their cause...and this is coming from an extreme animal lover who has spent much time and money rescuing animals...

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:08 PM
well bc of them-- public opinion has changed a lot over the last few years... but they aren't really affective at all in turning the heads of legislation

Martian Willow
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Maybe PETA can be annoying but that doesn't stop people who buy fur from being arseholes.

Thierry's_Ladee
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Oh come on some of you peeps are overeacting just a tad.

Rocketta
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Maybe PETA can be annoying but that doesn't stop people who buy fur from being arseholes.
Nope it doesn't but PETA are the ones that think they are on a higher level? Which an Asshole is an Asshole if you ask me..and for them to put out that campaign against Clay cause he said he accidentally killed his cat (which has happened before and will again) shows they are just as big of an Asshole as anyone...

Maybe if they take a step down from their pedestal someone will start listening?

Martian Willow
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Nope it doesn't but PETA are the ones that think they are on a higher level? Which an Asshole is an Asshole if you ask me..and for them to put out that campaign against Clay cause he said he accidentally killed his cat (which has happened before and will again) shows they are just as big of an Asshole as anyone...

Maybe if they take a step down from their pedestal someone will start listening?

I'm not disagreeing with you.

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Oh come on some of you peeps are overeacting just a tad.
i don't think anyone's too upset abt serena owning a fur... ppl are kinda arguing abt peta

CC
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:36 PM
PETA people and the like need more fulfilling personal goals.

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:06 PM
What do you expect them to say? "Oh, we are an animal rights organization, but we don't mind Gisele Bundchen wearing fur!" :rolleyes:
I think PETA's main projects don't appear in the media unless it involves a celebrity. Probably that is 0,01 % of what they actually do.

And yeah, Serena can buy or wear anything she wants, but people are entitled to their opinion.

Knizzle
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:07 PM
If we didn't have animals alot of the human race would have frozen to death a LONG time ago. I agree that we shouldn't kill animals wantonly, but certain animals were put on earth for the purpose of feeding and clothing humans.

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:28 PM
If we didn't have animals alot of the human race would have frozen to death a LONG time ago. I agree that we shouldn't kill animals wantonly, but certain animals were put on earth for the purpose of feeding and clothing humans.
I hope you aren't serious. What a BS. :rolleyes:

Sam L
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Animals were not "put" on earth.

And they are not there for the purpose of feeding and clothing humans, because some of them were there before "us".
Oh but he thinks that WE are put on Earth by God to worship God. I swear, in these situations religion doesn't help either because it makes us think we're so special when we're not.

Another question to Serena fans, why do you feel the need to defend your favourite player no matter what? If she murdered someone would you still support her? Just wondering...

Sam L
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I forgot to say that this doesn't apply to ALL Serena fans. I know luna_moonstone is a fan, but she's still got the sanity to recognize right from wrong.

CC
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Who determines what's right, PETA?

decemberlove
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:48 PM
PETA keeps me entertained. *shrugs

i think fur is nasty... but serena isnt the first tennis player to own fur.

tenn_ace
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I wish haters would lay off... the woman lives in Florida, for god's sake, she really needs one in that climate...

decemberlove
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:52 PM
I wish haters would lay off... the woman lives in Florida, for god's sake, she really needs one in that climate...
thats the POINT thou. shes lives in FLORIDA. she doesnt need it to stay warm. it was all done in the name of fashion.

Couver
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:55 PM
I don't know what to say, my reactions are so mixed. But OMG Serena I'm so :fiery: :fiery: :o at her. I hope she sells that coat or something, because I cannot bear to see her wear it. I love Serena but she needs to realize something died to give her that coat. And that mink looked better in that coat than any human could ever hope to.

I would blame Beyonces' influence, but I know Serena is a big girl and can make her own dicisions.

:sad:

Rocketta
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:56 PM
thats the POINT thou. shes lives in FLORIDA. she doesnt need it to stay warm. it was all done in the name of fashion.Yes but Serena travels the world just cause she doesn't have a chance to wear it at home doesn't mean she doesn't have a chance to wear it other places...

I own a coat but I never where it at home but when I went to Alaska...voila it got used...:)

skanky~skanketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:00 AM
there's a difference in being a non-vegetarian and a fur-wearer. i like serena, but i hate it when people wear fur. and i dont wear leather, just fake leather. and having a mink coat that u dont use. thats just bad.

vogus
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:08 AM
nobody's ever accused Serena Williams of being an intellectual giant. In a lot of ways she is a superficial and very materialistic person. But then so are an awful lot of other celebrities in the U.S., so it's not really fair to single Serena out for crticism on this issue. Many others are worse.

AndySW6
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Only beautiful animals wear beautiful fur! ( including me )

sartrista7
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:26 AM
I don't care a great deal about the fur issue... I don't think it's wrong to wear fur, but neither do I think that the anti-fur lobby should be written off as a bunch of loons. PETA may seem mad at times but believe me, everything they do is thought through very carefully - they've got some valid points to make and they're choosing the maximum publicity approach. And duh, they don't just single out Serena.

Serena herself does nothing to dispel the image of a selfish, superficial bitch - oh look, a coat which some animal was killed for, isn't it funny that I never even use it? Again, this is hardly singling her out... but I am not going to start listing all the selfish, superficial celebrities in the world. It just so happens she's one of them.

Personally, I find the "I want to look like a pimp" line a lot more indicative of her character. It's absolutely hilarious actually - in stark contrast to the wonderfully articulate Venus, Serena has never come across as anything other than completely thick in interviews. I wonder if she'd want to look like a pimp if she actually knew women who'd been forced into prostitution?

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:29 AM
People are defending Serena cause she is not doing anything illegal. Maybe you won't buy a fur to wear occassionally but that's your choice and it was Serena's choice and right being an american citizen to buy that coat..

Also, she was joking about being a pimp and you and everyone knows it...its just a saying.

Thirdly, I personally have a problem with PETA cause they go overboard and basically make people not care about anything they have to say...They go after the wrong people, ie individuals with personal attacks (not referring to Serena but others see Clay Aiken) instead of going after the industry.

Fourthly, if they can turn off an animal lover like me just think what they are doing to people who don't care about animals at all? They're preaching to the converted that doesn't do much, imo..

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Serena and Venus are really completely two distinct people... Serena has almost seemed more off the cuff and more likely to speak before thinking... hopefully she was joking about the pimp comment...either way it was in bad taste imo.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:33 AM
What gets me is how in the world could something so loathesome be turned into a joke? I blame rap squarely for this. Turning such a dispicable act into something to be worshipped and emulated is disgusting. Pimps should be locked away for life.

sartrista7
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Of course she's not doing anything illegal. She's just being a materialistic bitch, nothing we're not used to from her or any other random celebrity in the world. It's hardly something to go mad over, either defending or attacking her.

PETA do go after the industry, they're just more subtle about it than when they go after individuals. The individual attacks are there to keep their profile up... and it works a treat. Also... they've "converted" a number of celebrities including Gisele Bundchen, who released an anti-fur statement after PETA attacked her.

The pimp thing was a joke - but I'm laughing AT her, not with her, because it's a rubbish joke which shows how little she knows about, well, anything.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:38 AM
I don't care a great deal about the fur issue... I don't think it's wrong to wear fur, but neither do I think that the anti-fur lobby should be written off as a bunch of loons. PETA may seem mad at times but believe me, everything they do is thought through very carefully - they've got some valid points to make and they're choosing the maximum publicity approach. And duh, they don't just single out Serena.

Serena herself does nothing to dispel the image of a selfish, superficial bitch - oh look, a coat which some animal was killed for, isn't it funny that I never even use it? Again, this is hardly singling her out... but I am not going to start listing all the selfish, superficial celebrities in the world. It just so happens she's one of them.

Personally, I find the "I want to look like a pimp" line a lot more indicative of her character. It's absolutely hilarious actually - in stark contrast to the wonderfully articulate Venus, Serena has never come across as anything other than completely thick in interviews. I wonder if she'd want to look like a pimp if she actually knew women who'd been forced into prostitution?
since when is being superficial have anything to do with being a celebrity. I know many superficial people and sure PETA has their share. It may not be about furs but that's not the defining factor in being superficial. So what does wearing fur and being superficial have to do with each other?

Serena likes her fashion...so do a lot of women..Some don't wear fur or leather good for them.

I probably own leather but I don't own fur cause I'm cheap...:o

Doesn't make me better than Serena just means for whatever reasons that are my own I don't own any fur...Same for other women..

The question is how many people who could afford Minks and love fur decided based on PETA that now they won't have anything to do with Minks or fur?

It doesn't matter if you always wanted a fur when you were a kid you will get one as soon as you can afford it...If that's what you want..If its legal then they are doing nothing wrong and shouldn't be slagged..

Now as far as the joke. That is hip hop slang now, whether we agree with it or not...It was not meant in a derogatory way and we know it...Serena is young and she is attracted to the things that young people are attracted to and that's hip hop..

decemberlove
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Yes but Serena travels the world just cause she doesn't have a chance to wear it at home doesn't mean she doesn't have a chance to wear it other places...

I own a coat but I never where it at home but when I went to Alaska...voila it got used...:)
i know what youre saying... but im sure what really pissed people off was the one she bragged about it... and how she said she looked like a pimp.

its for pure fashion & to make the status symbol statement of "look at me, im rich, i wear a fur". really, wheres the coldest shell go? NY in the winter?? it doesnt get that cold here where a fur is absolutely necessarily.

its fine, but i still think its tacky, and i can understand exactly where PETA is coming from.

anna used to wear hers up to early 2001... im glad she stopped.

i remember the big fight over dani wearing a fur [no one knew whether it was real or fake] on the boards about a year ago.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Of course she's not doing anything illegal. She's just being a materialistic bitch, nothing we're not used to from her or any other random celebrity in the world. It's hardly something to go mad over, either defending or attacking her.

PETA do go after the industry, they're just more subtle about it than when they go after individuals. The individual attacks are there to keep their profile up... and it works a treat. Also... they've "converted" a number of celebrities including Gisele Bundchen, who released an anti-fur statement after PETA attacked her.

The pimp thing was a joke - but I'm laughing AT her, not with her, because it's a rubbish joke which shows how little she knows about, well, anything.
I find it interesting that you call her a bitch because you don't agree with what she wants out of life like somehow you have a handle on what she should want and not want... and you call her a superficial bitch? :lol:...How is that any different than what you are doing? Your putting labels and judgements on her cause she is doing something legal that you wouldn't do by choice and clearly you know what's right for her?

um Gisele Bundchen is a big celebrity...:unsure:

You don't know if she did the add just to get them off her back or if she has a fur in her closet...but great for Gisele she's enlightend..:rolleyes:

As far as the joke, so you didn't like it..That's the thing with jokes some find them funny while others don't...:shrug:

Kart
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:47 AM
PETA are often enraged by lots of people.

Although I don't disagree with them particularly they'd get more attention if they were a bit more picky over what they choose to go mental about.

It's just a fur coat.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:47 AM
i know what youre saying... but im sure what really pissed people off was the one she bragged about it... and how she said she looked like a pimp.

its for pure fashion & to make the status symbol statement of "look at me, im rich, i wear a fur". really, wheres the coldest shell go? NY in the winter?? it doesnt get that cold here where a fur is absolutely necessarily.

its fine, but i still think its tacky, and i can understand exactly where PETA is coming from.

anna used to wear hers up to early 2001... im glad she stopped.

i remember the big fight over dani wearing a fur [no one knew whether it was real or fake] on the boards about a year ago.
A mink has always been about see how rich I am and fashion? That's why poor kids always wanted one. It symbolized that they were no longer poor if they could afford a mink.

When has anyone said a mink is for the winter? Minks are worn as fashion statements...

Nobody jumped on the women on this board when they were talking about buying and wearing $500 coach bags..That's all about fashion and the like..That's everybody's choice...

Martian Willow
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:49 AM
If its legal then they are doing nothing wrong and shouldn't be slagged.

Do you really, honestly believe this?

decemberlove
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:52 AM
A mink has always been about see how rich I am and fashion? That's why poor kids always wanted one. It symbolized that they were no longer poor if they could afford a mink.

When has anyone said a mink is for the winter? Minks are worn as fashion statements...

Nobody jumped on the women on this board when they were talking about buying and wearing $500 coach bags..That's all about fashion and the like..That's everybody's choice...
yes, its always been a fashion statement and status symbol. i didnt say that it just became one recently.

furs were originally worn to keep people warm. since the beginning of history when we had no other materials. now theres other alternatives.

and wtf does a coach bag have to do with anything? ive never said i have anything against fashion. i love fashion. i dont see your point here.

sartrista7
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Rocketta, I know that in these postmodern times we're all entitled to our own opinion and there's no real morality any more blah blah blah... but yeah, Serena is being superficial and materialistic (owns expensive coat which an animal was killed to make purely as a status symbol - not for utility, as she doesn't need it, and not even for fashion, as she doesn't wear it. All she's done is brag about it on MTV). Up to you whether you want to find that attractive or not, it doesn't bother me too much. To me... it fits with the epithet 'bitch'.

As for hip-hop slang, I know about that. I love hip-hop too (yes, including the tasteless stuff). Doesn't change the fact that a lot of it IS tasteless, and if you're a woman there are issues which go deeper than "it's just a joke" - there's all sorts of degradation and debasement of women implied in the word 'pimp'.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Do you really, honestly believe this?
Yes I believe that...I dont' believe you should rag on someone like calling her a bitch when because she is doing something legal and hasn't done anything to you..You may disagree with her choice and that's great. You can say you think Serena is wrong and you would hope she'll change her mind, etc. etc. However, the Serena should know better and blah blah blah, is useless and not fair cause she doesn't see it that way and she lives in a country where that is ok. Also, she showed one fur coat...Some people are acting like she had a closet full in every color that she never wears and made her pimp comment with a couple of prostitutes hanging on her arm...

She has a fur coat. That does not make her more or less superficial than anyone else. Some people like electronics and spend much money but they are not looked on as superficial but people who spend their money on clothes and stuff are? Why's that btw? Here's a clue we're all superficial. If we are not spending our time and money on the less fortunate we are superficial.

Once again, I don't have a problem with PETA in regards to Serena..This article is actually old and this was out last year sometime...However, I do have a problem with what they did to Clay but yet no one wants to talk about that...There was nothing humane about that campaign, imo..

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Rocketta, I know that in these postmodern times we're all entitled to our own opinion and there's no real morality any more blah blah blah... but yeah, Serena is being superficial and materialistic (owns expensive coat which an animal was killed to make purely as a status symbol - not for utility, as she doesn't need it, and not even for fashion, as she doesn't wear it. All she's done is brag about it on MTV). Up to you whether you want to find that attractive or not, it doesn't bother me too much. To me... it fits with the epithet 'bitch'.

As for hip-hop slang, I know about that. I love hip-hop too (yes, including the tasteless stuff). Doesn't change the fact that a lot of it IS tasteless, and if you're a woman there are issues which go deeper than "it's just a joke" - there's all sorts of degradation and debasement of women implied in the word 'pimp'.
ok, Sartrista...

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:08 AM
yes, its always been a fashion statement and status symbol. i didnt say that it just became one recently.

furs were originally worn to keep people warm. since the beginning of history when we had no other materials. now theres other alternatives.

and wtf does a coach bag have to do with anything? ive never said i have anything against fashion. i love fashion. i dont see your point here.
No the coach bag is an example of how being materialistic and superficial is ok with some (not even saying you but this board as a whole) because they probably own an expensive pocketbook or something but when it comes to something they wouldn't purchace being superficial and doing things for fashion only is wrong..

I'm saying we all have superficial things about us...things we only do cause we want to and no other reason...doesn't make me, you, or Serena a bad person as long as it's legal and by the book..

Martian Willow
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:11 AM
So if someone raises their hand while their opponent is serving, then doesn't admit it to the umpire we shouldn't 'rag on them' because it is their choice to do so in a free society if it's legal (which it is)? OK. The fact that something is legal does not make it right, and people are entitled to say they believe it is wrong, if they believe it is wrong.

Hulet
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Serena boasted, "This is my first mink. I thought, 'I live in Florida, I'm never going to wear this,' and that's why I bought white because it'll work. I look like a pimp."
:eek: Well, I was shoked by those comments. Serena glorifing pimps?! What was she thinking? How would she like to live the life of prostitutes who are sexually and physically abused by pimps? And, she want to look like pimp. Stupid. How come there is no group for the People For the Ethical Treatment of Humans (PETH) who will take exceptions with her comments regading pimps?

pfft. Some role model.

decemberlove
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:14 AM
No the coach bag is an example of how being materialistic and superficial is ok with some (not even saying you but this board as a whole) because they probably own an expensive pocketbook or something but when it comes to something they wouldn't purchace being superficial and doing things for fashion only is wrong..

I'm saying we all have superficial things about us...things we only do cause we want to and no other reason...doesn't make me, you, or Serena a bad person as long as it's legal and by the book..

ah, ok. i assumed it was a dig at me since im such a fan of coach.
i have no problem with serena being superficial. hell, im superficial and im not even wealthy.

but that wasnt my point in my original post thou. :) i was simply pointing out why they were pissed.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:16 AM
So if someone raises their hand while their opponent is serving, then doesn't admit it to the umpire we shouldn't 'rag on them' because it is their choice to do so in a free society if it's legal (which it is)? OK. The fact that something is legal does not make it right, and people are entitled to say they believe it is wrong, if they believe it is wrong.
why are you bringing up Justine to me?

Yes you are right it wasn't illegal and I dont' think she's superficial or a bitch because of it.

However, her coach going to the press and lying on someone is a different thing. That's slander or libel..:wavey:

Oh and see previous post, I think its fine to discuss Serena's choices and quite different to put a label on her because of it.

sartrista7
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:16 AM
She has a fur coat. That does not make her more or less superficial than anyone else. Some people like electronics and spend much money but they are not looked on as superficial but people who spend their money on clothes and stuff are? Why's that btw? Here's a clue we're all superficial. If we are not spending our time and money on the less fortunate we are superficial.

Yes, everyone has superficiality in them. There are different degrees of it though, and not everyone is so superficial as to spend all that money on what can't have been a cheap coat... just to keep it an a closet and show it off on TV. As you said, it doesn't make her a particularly bad person... but it's just hilariously tacky and stupid.

Also, I agree with Willow.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:18 AM
ah, ok. i assumed it was a dig at me since im such a fan of coach.
i have no problem with serena being superficial. hell, im superficial and im not even wealthy.

but that wasnt my point in my original post thou. :) i was simply pointing out why they were pissed.
o i c....:)

Martian Willow
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:20 AM
I don't care. Nastya won so I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

But you're wrong. :)

sartrista7
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Seems like everyone was just waiting for Nastya to win :banana: I'm too happy to argue anymore. 'Night all.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Yes it's legal. All of what PETA do is expressing their opinion on celebrities like Williams or Ruben, which also happen to be legal.

And between what's legal and what's morally right, there is an ocean. So no one is ever going to comment on other people actions as long as it's legal???
please quote where I said that people shouldn't comment on other's actions? I said we shouldn't then label them cause we wouldnt' do it when its legal and in their right to do...like calling them superficial when we are all superficial..

btw, who gets to decide the levels of superficiality?

I personally believe a sin is a sin and we're all sinners. We can discuss whether we agree with a persons choices without trying to make them look less than us..cause their not...They just don't agree with us...I don't understand what's the difference between her buying the coat cause she's going to wear it a couple of times or if she bought it and never wears it. How many women have bought clothes that they never wear? How many buy shoes or belts or hats that they never wear. It happens all the time...

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:38 AM

Whateva! :)

Sam L
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:46 AM

Go Willow. The only reason Rocketta is fighting for the cause is because her IDOL Beyonce wears fur too. :lol: Pathetic. Pathetic bitches.

Rocketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Go Willow. The only reason Rocketta is fighting for the cause is because her IDOL Beyonce wears fur too. :lol: Pathetic. Pathetic bitches.

Lithium works, give it a shot one day! :wavey:

Shane54
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:52 AM
And Peta people are probably the first to defend partial birth abortion :rolleyes:

Sam L
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:04 AM
And Peta people are probably the first to defend partial birth abortion :rolleyes:
Here comes the walking contradiction! :lol:

kyk710
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Oh but he thinks that WE are put on Earth by God to worship God. I swear, in these situations religion doesn't help either because it makes us think we're so special when we're not.

Another question to Serena fans, why do you feel the need to defend your favourite player no matter what? If she murdered someone would you still support her? Just wondering...
I don't think defending owning a fur and defending murder are quite the same thing...
BTW, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think Serena's fur is this big of a deal, whether it's right or wrong of her to own it.

jbone_0307
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:19 AM
OMG i actually thought that this was a fake article made to make people laugh. I cant believe this is a real article. haha

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:20 AM

LOL. I don't know about that.

But they do go way too far. Serena has a fur coat, good for her.

But Cybelle Darkholme should note that PETA is for the ETHICAL treatment of animals. I think they consider the slaughter of cows and chickens and such ethical killings (they are more humane) while they feel many slayings of animals for fur and other fashion purposes more needless and more barbaric (which they often are).

carling
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Some people just need a reason to bitch. I love fur and I make no apologies for it. I don't believe in animal cruelty, but c'mon! I often feel as though PETA care more about animals than they do about people and that's bullshit. Or maybe they're just bitter because they can't afford fur and they hate those who can.

Serena did nothing wrong. She can wear what she wants. Those who oppose the fur industry are entitled to their opinions. However, anyone who considers Serena or myself bad people simply because we wear fur can go fuck themselves. Get over it.

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Some people just need a reason to bitch. I love fur and I make no apologies for it. I don't believe in animal cruelty, but c'mon! I often feel as though PETA care more about animals than they do about people and that's bullshit. Or maybe they're just bitter because they can't afford fur and they hate those who can.

Serena did nothing wrong. She can wear what she wants. Those who oppose the fur industry are entitled to their opinions. However, anyone who considers Serena or myself bad people simply because we wear fur can go fuck themselves. Get over it.

You don't believe in animal cruelty? What do you mean by that?

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:25 AM
whatever.

exactly...how the hell is someone going to get mad at serena because she want to have a mink coat..when millions of cows, chickens, lambs, fish, and pigs are killed for food? That is some of the stupidest shit I ever heard of.....Serena wear your minks and play your tennis....fuck what Animal Activist think. :rolleyes:

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:16 AM
exactly...how the hell is someone going to get mad at serena because she want to have a mink coat..when millions of cows, chickens, lambs, fish, and pigs are killed for food? That is some of the stupidest shit I ever heard of.....Serena wear your minks and play your tennis....fuck what Animal Activist think. :rolleyes:

Well, like I said, eating animals for consumption is a little different. Often, they are killed much more brutally for the purposes of fashion than the purposes of food. Also, it's the way of nature for species to eat one another. That's the food chain. But killing animals for the purposes of looking nice is more superfluous.

esquímaux
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Well at least Serena is opening her closet and not being a closet-case like other players :lol:

pigam
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:56 PM
- you have to have a Gucci bag. There are Dolce suits everywhere you look and I love my old Valentino."
You HAVE to have the money to have a Gucci bag... :rolleyes:

... :lol: My love don't cost a thing :lol: ...

pigam
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:02 PM
What gets me is how in the world could something so loathesome be turned into a joke? I blame rap squarely for this. Turning such a dispicable act into something to be worshipped and emulated is disgusting. Pimps should be locked away for life.
Pimp as in 'professional hooker' (?) or pimp as in 'trashy slut kinda girl' (?)
Cuz the first one is actually the oldest profession. They existed in every 'era', and they have a role in society! Lock away all pimps and see what happens to this world. They are helping to ventilate agression, frustration and lonelyness, and I'm not kidding here. And in case you wonder, NO, I don't visit them. Just thought I'd say this, cuz I don't understand your post. This doesn't mean illegal, clandestine, maffia-influenced,... prostitution is a good thing of course.

SJW
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM
i take it none of y'all wear leather shoes?

i wouldn't buy a fur jacket and i can't say i'm pleased about her wearing one. but i don't care. what she does is her business.

Ballbuster
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Its getting cold in Florida this time of year. Maybe Serena will get lucky enough to wear her skins.

Hope I bump into her so I can say "Whaddup Pimp"

SJW
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:11 PM
1.99% of "Serena fans" are "Williams fans" whose fave player is Venus ;)
2. for the same reason why people need to bitch, no matter what :confused:

and that murder q really isn't worth answering

Martian Willow
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Pimp as in 'professional hooker' (?) or pimp as in 'trashy slut kinda girl' (?)
Cuz the first one is actually the oldest profession. They existed in every 'era', and they have a role in society! Lock away all pimps and see what happens to this world. They are helping to ventilate agression, frustration and lonelyness, and I'm not kidding here. And in case you wonder, NO, I don't visit them. Just thought I'd say this, cuz I don't understand your post. This doesn't mean illegal, clandestine, maffia-influenced,... prostitution is a good thing of course.

You don't know what 'pimp' means, do you?

pigam
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
You don't know what 'pimp' means, do you?
Now I do :o :o :o :bolt :o
OMG! sorry, I made a fool of myself.

*wanna delete that previous post ;) *

harloo
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:50 PM
LOL@all thes posts about how Serena is superficial, a bitch, etc. This is hilarious, because she want's to wear a fur and make a joke about looking like a pimp in a fur. Please people, stop taking yourself to serious.

Anyone who has money to pay for a mink should wear it. You should take your issue with the fur industry to your congress, etc, instead of acting as if everyone should live by your precepts.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Meanwhile, Williams admitted she's running out of closet space because she refuses to throw out old outfits and she's always off on shopping sprees.

She added, "I've somehow convinced myself that I don't have any clothes, so lately I've been shopping a lot.

"I collect panties, I love the Fendi bags and Gucci bags - you have to have a Gucci bag. There are Dolce suits everywhere you look and I love my old Valentino."

I didn't know Serena was this shallow
:unsure: she could buy herself a brain :silly:

"you have to have a gucci bag" bahhahahaha :haha:

decemberlove
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:33 PM
i take it none of y'all wear leather shoes?

i wouldn't buy a fur jacket and i can't say i'm pleased about her wearing one. but i don't care. what she does is her business.
a lot of people consider that different cos we use different parts of the moo-moo. we dont just kill it for its skin.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Did any of you actually see the show where Serena revealed this info? I did, and she was joking about not needing to wear the coat with Florida's hot weather. She wouldn't need to boast about how much money she has, everybody already knows she is rich. She does wear the coat because that's why she bought it. As far as the "pimp" comment goes, she meant that she could still get away with wearing the coat in the hot weather if she just told people she was a pimp. Anyway, how many of you understand American slang?

tennischick
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:51 PM
the quotes make Serena sound incredibly shallow. as if she has no perspective of a life beyond cute panties and a Fendi bag. that's what i personally don't like.

faboozadoo15
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:11 PM
she was just joking around, peeps. (abt those shallow comments). but peta took issue to the fact that she has a fur coat she never wears. there are far greater perpetrators of the this, however...

and i don't know how people don't see a significant difference between fur vs. beef AND clothing...

when i grew up in the north, my mother owned (probably still does, i would imagine) 6 fur coats... i always found it objectionable, but she worked hard for them, took good care of them, and wore them often. i wouldn't wear fur (lol) and i don't condemn anyone who does...

treufreund
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Serena, bad decision :sad:

Jakeev
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:04 PM
The problem I have with PETA is that they are wayyyyyyy to extreme of an organization. Granted they are not burning abortion clinics or trying to kill people, they are still a rather crazy bunch.

How come you never see them pick on Eskimos? Or how bout tribes from Africa, New Guinea, or the Amazon? I guess it's ok for them since they are living off the land.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!! We are talking about mink here. Does anyone realize how small those animals are and how many it takes to makeup one coat?

I think it would surprise a lot of people.

moon
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:42 PM
I still like Serena, but this is a little disappointing. It's one thing if you eat meat, but IMO when you support animals being killed just to look cute....whole other level.

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:13 PM
I'm actually pretty angry at Rena for this....It is so unnecessary for ehr to ahve one, buy a fake!!!

When it was necessary to kill animals to stay alive in winter in the north, ok....But in Florida...Pfft, completely waste of money and lives

CC
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:34 PM
I have no interest in defending Serena, I just wanted to comment on the presumptiousness of PETA to appoint themselves as morality police.

Is kind of like those religious fanatics isn't it? The type most of you strongly detest, right?

Leo_DFP
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:37 PM
of all the ppl to be upset at-- serena williams??? she'll wear that coat sometime... and if not, shell auction it off someday for a good cause or something... why not puffy who owns likw 30 and wears each once?
Serena auction off her clothing?! :eek: No, that would never happen.

Fur is murder.

slice
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:50 PM
whatever.

just about the chicken thing you loser, you cannot compare that to serena wearing a mink coat as eating chicken is part of the life cycle, like the lions and stuff eat other animals... whereas serena was just being her usual attention-seeking self and decided to buy the mink coat. :rolleyes:

pfff @ u!