PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Venus play a warmup tournament?

saki
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:47 PM
I was curious about this before the Oz Open started, but now I'm really curious. Venus doesn't lose to players like Lisa (no disrespect intended), when she's match-fit. So, why wasn't she match-fit? Why did she play Hong Kong rather than Sydney or, if she thought that was too close to the Open, one of the other lower tier warmups. I'm not a particular fan, but it was disappointing not to get to see her play her best tennis and I'd like to understand why she didn't.

LucasArg
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Ssaid she prefered to play HK as her warm up to the Open rather than Sydney.

I guess now she is thinking that was a mistake.

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:54 PM
She stayed away from Sydney because she (nor Serena) never had any good luck there. She could have played Gold Coast like she did in 2002. Hopefully she will do that next year.

mimbari24
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:13 PM
She also did not want to put too much stress on her body before the Open

7~LV3
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:17 PM
If she played Sydney... they she would be playing 3 tournaments in a row..
Sydney AO Tokyo...

I still dunno why she didnt play Goldcoast instead... Sugiyama could give her some real preparation before AO

SerialKiller#69
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:26 PM
You mean if Venus played a warmup tournament and become match fit, Lisa has no chance to beat Venus at all?:sad:

saki
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:36 PM
You mean if Venus played a warmup tournament and become match fit, Lisa has no chance to beat Venus at all?:sad:
No, but I think she'd have been much less likely to beat Venus. I like Lisa a lot, actually, but she's now 30 and has had very little success in Grand Slams in singles - not that she hasn't done well, but she's never looked like a real threat to win a slam.

fammmmedspin
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Venus has a great record of coming raw to tournaments and doing well. She often plays some awful matches and gets away with it. Personally I don't want to watch all those ue , but she usually grabs a convincing win anyway. This time she was off longer and is still either rusty or injured which gives her a real dilemna over whether playing before the GS will help. This time Venus actually played well when she played well and I can't remember the serve being that good for years - when it wasn't awful. This time however, she ran into someone who grabbed the initiative, didn't wilt or let her back in and kept on coming at her. It was a superb performance by Lisa - more so since she played the unusual role of attacker so well. Lisa actually was so good that it wasn't really a fair test to say anything about Venus on. I think we still have to find out if Venus is back to her 2003 form let alone her best. Venus fans should probably be encouraged by all those aces, others may wait to see how she copes with the rest of the tour which is 6 months better and is becoming more used to playing both the sisters.

faboozadoo15
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:11 PM
she got to play chanda and maria... maria lost in three sets to the 6th seed and chanda is still alive... venus just wasn't ready for lisa on that day-- i doubt it would have been any different if she had played a real tournament.