PDA

View Full Version : Leipzig Tournament Cancelled

JohnBoy
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Hi All

Just checked the schedule on www.wtatour.com (http://www.wtatour.com/) and it seems that the tournament schedule in Leipzig in September has been cancelled. The Sparkassen Cup is no more.. Don't know if this has been mentioned in previous posts but this is rather dissapointing news.. Another German tournament goes. I thought this was one of the more successfull one's. Hamburg Gone, Leipzig Gone !! Do any of the german posters Know what is going on ?

Cheers

Johnboy

ghosts
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:45 AM
I think that may be caused by the financial crisis in Germany now....

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Yeah, it's gone. They try to cover it by saying that there will be a clay tier III this year instead, but I don't believe it.

Great advertising for Leipzig's Olympics bid. :lol:

JohnBoy
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Geez !!. If a TIER II does not succeed - I hardly think a TIER III will.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:32 AM
:speakles:

sylvain
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:45 AM
:sad: :fiery:

E. Blackadder
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:51 AM
They usually draw a great field, and had a great champions list, but if the spectators don't come down. It's sad that indoors seems to become less and less important....

Frau Antje
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:50 AM
it's said that in 2005 there will be a combined mens & womens tournament in Leipzig

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 25th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Pfff :sad:

ALPHA
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:06 PM
It has nothing to do with the remaining DTB owned tournaments in Leipzig. Hamburg was sold by German Tennis federation (DTB) because of financial problems of the DTB.

Leipzig was owned by Ziegfeld & Radosevic. It's more similar to Filderstadt's PORSCHE Grand Prix.

My guess is that Sparkasse, the main sponsor, does not want to put as much money into it as in the years before, because they already support Leipzig's run for Olympics 2012. Difficult as well is, that Leipzig's Sports Arena is not offered for free anymore to the tournament officials.

Bottom line: This tournament is cancelled and gone for good, if you ask me, since the licence for the Tier-II event was sold - and it's almost impossible to get it back.

kaki
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:35 PM
who was the definding champ there?will she loose points or what?Thanx

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:59 PM
who was the definding champ there?will she loose points or what?Thanx
Anastasia Myskina will defending her points on that week of this year in other tournament so, it won't affects on their ranking.

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:21 PM
it's said that in 2005 there will be a combined mens & womens tournament in Leipzig
Yes, but IMO this would only happen if Leipzig gets the Olympic Games, and the chance for that is 1%.

*JR*
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Presumably the interest in tennis in GER will increase if someone emerges who approaches the success of Steffi or Boris. (Anke's retirement didn't help, either). Meanwhile, I'd expect @ least a 50K or 75K challenger 2B played there (if there's not already one).

matthias
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:33 PM
i think they deserve to loose it, such a id!ot as Tournament director like Radosevic
just the Clijsters family will be sad about it

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Presumably the interest in tennis in GER will increase if someone emerges who approaches the success of Steffi or Boris. (Anke's retirement didn't help, either). Meanwhile, I'd expect @ least a 50K or 75K challenger 2B played there (if there's not already one).
As you are mentioning challengers: it's a freaking joke that Italy and France have about 30 big challengers ($50K and $75K) and Germany has NONE. :rolleyes:
Younger players have no chance to get some WC's and experience. And then officials are complaining. :rolleyes:

*JR*
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:25 PM
As you are mentioning challengers: it's a freaking joke that Italy and France have about 30 big challengers ($50K and $75K) and Germany has NONE. :rolleyes:
Younger players have no chance to get some WC's and experience. And then officials are complaining. :rolleyes:
That's unbelievable! :eek: BTW, what about AUT, CZE, SVK, SUI, SLO, POL, and ROM (all also near GER)? I knew the DTB was totally fucked up (as in the moronic plan to have Babsi Rittner coach "a little here and a little there" this year) but NO 50/75 K's is ridiculous! :rolleyes:

William Hunt
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:03 PM
It's a shame : Leipzig was a great tournament.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot more tournaments will have to go in the coming years since the WTA wants to shrink the calendar.

Many players are complaining that the season is too long and has too many tournaments.

matthias
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:05 PM
they don´t shrink the calender, the WTA want just more tournament on places like China or Asia in general, because this is the new market to make money

William Hunt
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Well Matthias : your reply sounds very logical to and I also think that Asia need more high profile tournaments, but on the Belgian tv Kim Clijsters has said that the WTA is looking at shrinking the calendar so what I wrote was merely what I heard from Clijsters on tv.

*JR*
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Well, there's An Answer that provides Enough Events to "go around" but it requires a Rather Radical departure re. the way most of you view the game. Specifically, redefining the Tiers and bringing in more "high Challenger level" players. But so long as the "tennis public" stays addicted to Player Personality cults, they just ain't gonna do it.

Jorn
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:28 PM
First Hamburg :sad: now Leipzig :sad: where to go now for a tournament...

Leipzig was a great place to visit a tournament.

Jorn
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:30 PM
btw, Do they have any other tournament scheduled that week?

William Hunt
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:57 PM
First Hamburg :sad: now Leipzig :sad: where to go now for a tournament...

Leipzig was a great place to visit a tournament.
Hi Jorn, why don't U come to Antwerp ? It's not that far from Denmark and has a fantastic audience & entry-list.

jrm
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:21 AM
another one bites the dust

Dymension
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:23 AM
:eek: :sad:

So what tournement is going to replace it?

Doc
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:07 AM
The Germans like to see German players win. Without successful German women, they lose interest in the sport and don't go. All the German WTA tournaments except Filderstadt have been playing to almost empty halls in the past few years. The tournaments can't go on like that.

If Kim, Justine or Amelie were German, the tournaments would have been oveflowing with crowds.

GoDominique
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:16 AM
The Germans like to see German players win. Without successful German women, they lose interest in the sport and don't go. All the German WTA tournaments except Filderstadt have been playing to almost empty halls in the past few years. The tournaments can't go on like that.

If Kim, Justine or Amelie were German, the tournaments would have been oveflowing with crowds.
Not entirely true. Hamburg had always good crowds (you can't expect a stadium with 11,000 seats to be sold out), and Berlin has been decent as well.

*JR*
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:27 AM
I'll bet Linz is on shaky ground, too, as Babsi's about had it and no AUT player is doing much either.

William Hunt
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:11 AM
The Germans like to see German players win. Without successful German women, they lose interest in the sport and don't go. ...
But they are having a potential WTA superstar with Anna-Lena Groenefeld !

With the men they have some very promissing players with with Daniel Elsner, Florian Mayer, Maximilian Abel & Sebastian Rieschik and a topplayer with Schüttler.

William Hunt
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:14 AM
I'll bet Linz is on shaky ground, too, as Babsi's about had it and no AUT player is doing much either.
Austria indeed doesn't seem to have lots of young talent but Sybille Bammer had a dreamseason last year (she played 5 ITF finals and won 4 of them !) but she's not that young anymore (24 in 2004).

*JR*
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Austria indeed doesn't seem to have lots of young talent but Sybille Bammer had a dreamseason last year (she played 5 ITF finals and won 4 of them !) but she's not that young anymore (24 in 2004).
But BamBam is only winning Challengers, Babsi I is ready for her next career, Babsi II for her next Inevitable Injury, and as for my AUT fave: "Those KIX just keep getting harder to find..." :(