PDA

View Full Version : Zee epic rematch! Lindsay vs. Justine!!!

Andrew.
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:21 AM
My oh my! Here we are again. Lindsay's play today looked great, demolishing Zvonareva. While Justine looked shaky and unreliable, but still closed it out nicely. Who will win this epic rematch?

LindsayRocks89
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Lindsay looked great tonight only losing three points on her first serve and well justine on the otherhand didnt look to good so i think that lindsay really wants this badly and shes going to win it!!!

Lindsay wins either 7/5, 7/6, or 7/5, 4/6, 6/3

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:24 AM
If both play like they played today, Lindsay in two.

*hingis_forever*
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Juju will pick her game up! She always does when she needs to!

bis2806
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:28 AM
I just hope Lindsay plays her best tomorrow because that way justine has no chance...

ghosts
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Davenport 4-6 6-4 6-1

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Although otoh, against Juju there will be no mentall breakdowns by the opponent, Lindsay´s gonna have to hit more shots, chase more balls....could be interesting.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Just play ur best Lindsay and she cant do anything to hurt you.

Havok
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:38 AM
lindsay in 3. Lindsay's been playing better than Justine has for the better part of this week. Lindsay will make Justine pay for her low 1st serve %, so i go with Lindsay as the winner

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Big difference this time around is that Justine is a grand slam major winner AND can now hit with Davenport power for power. In fact, since that 9-7 error fest in the 3rd match last year, Justine's serve is more powerful (when she gets it in ofcourse).

Lindsay Davenport looked FANTASTIC today. Now, we will see if Justine can raise her level of game just like Serena Williams did after having a great season and being #1 when it counts the most.

This will be another close match.......

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Big difference this time around is that Justine is a grand slam major winner AND can now hit with Davenport power for power. In fact, since that 9-7 error fest in the 3rd match last year, Justine's serve is more powerful (when she gets it in ofcourse).

Lindsay Davenport looked FANTASTIC today. Now, we will see if Justine can raise her level of game just like Serena Williams did after having a great season and being #1 when it counts the most.

This will be another close match.......

Good observation.

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Everytime we all expect an epic rematch it turns out to be a one-sided affair. So don't get your hopes up people!

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:21 AM
I think Lindsay will win in three sets. Justine has not been all that great in her last two matches while Lindsay has actually gotten better. Justine has been dropping serve pretty easily in her previous two matches while I don't think Lindsay has dropped serve in her last two matches.

GoSandrine
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:36 AM
I anticipate a very hotly contested rematch.

I believe Justine will raise the level of her game and Lindsay will play as well as she has been. I hope injuries don't factor in for either player. If they don't I say Lindsay may be just a tad hungrier and will be rewarded for all her hard work in the off season. It's her turn to shine...

Lindsay in three.

JustineTime
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Lindsay's the 2-1 favorite! :eek:

;)

I love it when Justine's the underdog! :)

Couver
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:41 AM
My heart and my head judging from their last few matches tells me Lindsay. If she plays like she did today and Justine plays like she did today, then I think Lindsay can take it in 2 tight sets.

With that said, Justine is very tough mentally now and I think even if her game isn't there, she'll still force a good performance out of herself. If that's the case I think it will go to three, and I still say Lindsay should get it. Unless Henin raises her level to unbelievable proportions.

IMO Lindsay just needs to keep her attitude focused. No shoulder slumping, or getting distracted while down. She has to fight. If she does loose focus Justine will go for the jugular.

Nikki
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Providing Lindsay plays like she did today, she will hopefully win but I think its going to be close.

Go Lindsay

shap_half
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Justine has been playing uneblievely poorly as of late and hopefully she will raise her level of play to match Lindsay's, who has been playing very well.

Dawn Marie
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Well it is not helping Lindsay that the doubles match is lasting longer than usual

I think Lindsay has a chance but if it goes to three she'll have a hard time winning.

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:29 AM
It will probably go to Davenport in three, if you ask me. But Justine could well find a way to win this one too. Should be good.

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:33 AM
I'm going to put my chips on the line here and say Zhoo-steen in 3 sets.
Since the serve is kinda crap, she'll just have to grind Lindsay to the
ground in 3 sets and exhaust her. Where there's a will there's a way.

We are talking about NNR-DEN the stubborn overachieving
show off here. ;)

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Correct Greenout. Justine is a grinder, we all know that. If it becomes a physical match and runs into a 3rd set i'll give her a slight edge. Also, when Davenport plays against good retrievers, she gets discouraged (ex. Loit match 2nd set). The equation is clear. Davenport+good attitude=win. Henin-Hardenne+less errors=win.

Hmmm........lots of build up for this match. Can't wait till Moday:angel:

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Correct Greenout. Justine is a grinder, we all know that. If it becomes a physical match and runs into a 3rd set i'll give her a slight edge. Also, when Davenport plays against good retrievers, she gets discouraged (ex. Loit match 2nd set). The equation is clear. Davenport+good attitude=win. Henin-Hardenne+less errors=win.

Hmmm........lots of build up for this match. Can't wait till Moday:angel:

The serve was crapola today; but the return game is still there.
A feeble Vera is an easy target for LD's 'ace's. I think it will be
a different story with Zhoo-steen on the other end. She won't
dodge any bullets. She won't back down and shed tears during
change overs either like Vera.

I still think 3 sets;but really messy and ugly all the way to match
point.

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:09 AM
hmmmm, ditto about the looming messy match. I'm kinda getting used to Justine's under 50% service percentage. I did my homework by going back to the US Open website and looked at Justine's stats to win every match. I counted that 5 of 7 matches where she had more winners than unforced errors. So far this tournament, she has an awful ratio. I've never seen the stat of only 8 winners for Justine in that Kuznetsova match. Also at the US Open, her service percentage was slighly better than here, but still wasn't well over 50%. The good thing is that Justine is serving more aces, but more double faults.

Davenport is playing well as we know. The good thing is that early-round matches normally don't foreshadow Justine's final results at a major. She's never done well at the early stages. She needs to pick it up in a hurry.

pigam
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:12 AM
OMG! Did Justine play some BAAAAAD tennis out there today or what?!
And Lyndsey?! She was great
If both play like this: 2 sets and LD wins.
I doubt Justine will be able to elevate her level. It seems as if something is seiousely bothering her... she looked so mad ans dissapointed at the end of her match today :(

Allez Justine, accroches-toi!
Come on Lyndsey!!
Give us a grrreat match!!!!

Brαm
Jan 25th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Lindsay has been playing much better this week, so I voted for Lindsay in 3!

Gabra
Jan 25th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Lindsay in 2

Elske
Jan 25th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Lindsay in 2 :)

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2004, 10:55 AM
OMG! Did Justine play some BAAAAAD tennis out there today or what?!
And Lyndsey?! She was great
If both play like this: 2 sets and LD wins.
I doubt Justine will be able to elevate her level. It seems as if something is seiousely bothering her... she looked so mad ans dissapointed at the end of her match today :(

Allez Justine, accroches-toi!
Come on Lyndsey!!
Give us a grrreat match!!!!

Tell me about the match? I read that she disputed line calls.

pigam
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Justine? Disputing line calls.
No, not really. Only once, she gestured towards the umpire, but she didn't say anything...
She just looked 'overheated' (is this a word?) You know. A bmush on her face, as if she was having a fiever, an uncertain look in her eyes. She was REALLY serene, you gotta give her that. But maybe she was a bit too serene, you know? She also screamed a disgusted 'aaaah' 'allllllei :(' (quite cute actually).
I dunno, very strange match. It made me embarrased and proud at the same time... Again, sometimes she showed her true class. A few passingshots were :eek:. I never had the feeling she would lose the match.
At the end at the net, after shaking hands) she gave a slight bang on the net with her racket and looked really disgusted with herself...
In the interview with Belgian TV she was ... I dunno: strange! She wasdn't all that negative, she looked tired. But our commentators were like: Ohlalal mais qu'est ce qu'elle fait? Bon, quand elle joue bien, on le dit mais aujourdhui!! Ce deuxième match est du même niveau que le match que Justine à disputé contre Kapros à RG 2002. Non, franchement, elle a mal joué. Et pourquoi est-ce qu'ell attend jusqu'à 5-5 dans le deuxième set pou venir à la volley (come to the net)'
Everyone was surprised about her level, I guess. She played BAD, but in a way I knew she wasn't going to loose, but man was I angry at her :lol:

Allez Justine ;)

Allez-H
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:07 AM
This is great!!!Justine is actually the underdog,and we all know that she just loves to be the underdog!But no seriously,I pick Justine.I still have the feeling that she can raise her level when she needs it the most.She hasn't played great yet,but it isn't like she needed it or something.Justine has shown us the last couple of months that when she needs it the most she'll come up with her A-game.If this match will go to three,then I think that Superfit Justine will win it.I just keep thinking about the 2002 AO,where Jen didn't play amazingly either in her first 5 matches but when it mattered the most (against Kim and Martina)she came up with some great tennis.And look what she did,she went on and won the title.I still have strong belief in Juju but even if loses it wont be the end of the world.There's still the French,Wimbledon and the US ;)

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Thank you Pigam for your report. I think it was just alot of pride being
hurt for being sent into a tie breaker with a qualifier. Zhoo-steen has
so much pride that it get's the best of her sometimes. This is good, it
will force her to show her true champion form against
another champion like Lindsay.

Greenout
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Funny isn't it? One and a half day later Amelie and Lindsay have
suddenly become the favorite in that section of the draw. :lol:
Read the cliche, heard the cliche; but it's true no match in a grand
slam is similar to another.

Maajken
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:17 AM
justine is still the favourite, she's the nb. 1 so she HAS to win, while lindsay's still pretty much the underdog.

if they play like they did yesterday, lindsay will win.

Glenn
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Henin-Hardenne def. Davenport 6-4 6-3

Crazy_Fool
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:29 AM
We got 3 classics in the next 2 days - Justine-Lindsay, Lleyton-Roger and Safin-Roddick. Cant wait! This game has all the ingredients of a classic. Lindsay is playing better than i have seen her play for a long while, Justine needs to raise her game.

Harju.
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:11 PM
I really hope Lindsay win this one.. I think it's gonna be a three sets match. Provided Lindsay play like she did today, I am pretty sure that she could win..

kaki
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Lindsay will take her chance.knowing that thre's no more williams around,that she beat Momo in sydney,so she can repeat it in case of victory in her QF, the quite convincengly victory over Vera,also that Kim is not that"tough" mentally in a GS final and Given the fact her years on the tour are accounted,In the other hand,I think Justine will feel a lot of pressure.It will be also a matter of belief.But I will go with Lindsay in straights sets.

Andrew.
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Henin-Hardenne def. Davenport 6-4 6-3

Wait, I thought you said Lindsay would lose in the first round? :confused: :tape:

SerialKiller#69
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:09 PM
I would be happy for a Lindsay win. But still, Justine is Justine.

pReUrBrIyN
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Lindsay def. Justine: 6-2 6-2

Belgium = Best
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Justine I think. 3 sets :) :D

cheche
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Pardon me, but I think Mary C. or Pam said today on TV that Lindsay wanted a little revenge on Justine, because she faked the cramps last year.

Andrew.
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Pardon me, but I think Mary C. or Pam said today on TV that Lindsay wanted a little revenge on Justine, because she faked the cramps last year.

Mary Jo insinuated that. She said something like "Davenport is more hungry now. She's out for revenge, after lsat years match when Henin-Hardenne 'cramped' and then went running everywhere for balls."

Crazy_Fool
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Mary Jo insinuated that. She said something like "Davenport is more hungry now. She's out for revenge, after lsat years match when Henin-Hardenne 'cramped' and then went running everywhere for balls."
Well too bad Lindsay took too much notice of it. You can still run with cramps if u didnt already know.

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Lindsay in 2 sets!!! 6-2 6-3

Andrew.
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Bump! :D

Jakeev
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Justine is new and improved and it will be interesting to see how she handles the pace and power of a player like Lindsay.

We know Justine will have the edge if she moves Lindsay around and mixes things up. But as strong as she is, Lindsay I still think is stronger from the baseline and I just don't the Belgian is gonna win if she sticks back there.

It could go either way.......

Andrew.
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Lindsay's game really seemed to kick in yesterday, and I think Justine will have a very difficult time with it.

fleemke³
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Well Davenport is still the favo to win this match but I'll stay with Justine :) in 3 sets

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:51 PM

I like Lindsay; but that is absolute Bullshit! Only WTAworld regulars are
allowed to talk crap like that! ;) NRR-DEN didn't fake cramps. Her
legs locked up , you could tell her, leg muscles were bulging. I seen
it happen to Jan Michael Gambil. People who are very fit, tend to
over extend themselves and get muscle cramped very quickly. It
happens to me alot after a long hike or jog latter in the day when
you try to bend or extend your leg. I bike too, and what your suppose
to do is massage your leg and keep it lifted in an extend position and
try to keep it lose. It can happen if you sweat alot during exercise or
activity. Anybody who does long jogs will tell you this too.

Subtle trash talking from LD? I guess it's not such mutual respect after all
between them. :haha:

minboy
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:12 PM
I like Lindsay; but that is absolute Bullshit! Only WTAworld regulars are
allowed to talk crap like that! ;) NRR-DEN didn't fake cramps. Her
legs locked up , you could tell her, leg muscles were bulging. I seen
it happen to Jan Michael Gambil. People who are very fit, tend to
over extend themselves and get muscle cramped very quickly. It
happens to me alot after a long hike or jog latter in the day when
you try to bend or extend your leg. I bike too, and what your suppose
to do is massage your leg and keep it lifted in an extend position and
try to keep it lose. It can happen if you sweat alot during exercise or
activity. Anybody who does long jogs will tell you this too.

Subtle trash talking from LD? I guess it's not such mutual respect after all
between them. :haha:

LIndsay NEVER insinuated anything like that. Read her second or third round interview on the AUsopen website, she's very , very respectful towards justine. YOu can see some "journalists" were trying to make her say something negative about JUstine, but she acted smarter than them.

vutt
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:15 PM
I hope Lindsay will win.

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:16 PM
LIndsay NEVER insinuated anything like that. Read her second or third round interview on the AUsopen website, she's very , very respectful towards justine. YOu can see some "journalists" were trying to make her say something negative about JUstine, but she acted smarter than them.

Read my post. The other person said that Mary Jo Fernandez said
it on tv this week talking about the "big" match on tuesday. I'm
just replying to that post.

Hello. Education is good. Reading is learning. :)

MartinaI
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:52 PM
I think Justine will raise her level. She has been playing players who she has not seen much of mostly so far, once she fits into Davenport's rhythm she'll grind her down and raise her game. Justine in 3 sets: 7-5 3-6 6-4.

Andrew.
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:22 PM
The match will start in just a few hours! :D

Allez-H
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:26 PM
OMG,I'm so nervous!!!!!!!I have the feeling this is going to be the final before the final!!!!!!