PDA

View Full Version : Venus really needs to do something about that forehand

vogus
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Venus's forehand was looking worse than ever yesterday, such an awkward motion and spraying that thing all over town, espcially the last 2 points of the match! :eek: The other players are going to be picking on Venus's forehand just like Raymond did and if she doesn't fix the problem, she's gonna pay a price in terms of getting beat by players she isn't used to losing to.

Consolation - at least the Queen herself was looking good on court, even if her forehand wasn't. ;)

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Venus's forehand is her first shot to fall apart, when she gets pushed. Serena has her serve that often falls apart

Unfortnately for Venus, her forehand was not the only shot that didn't work. And her brain didn't help either

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:21 AM
actually i think it was the second serve and lack of matches that got her in the end.

K-Dog
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Someone change her technique and grip on the forehand. Richard PLEAZE do something to the forehand as well as her serve motion!!

*JR*
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:29 AM
The W/S are caught between 2 extremes. I was tempted @ first to redundantly say that Venus needs time to get her game back like anyone else would, that the W/S can't win everytime, and would be treated to GoTennis style "racial profiling" if they did, etc. But their diehard fans are every bit as unrealistic as those who dislike or even hate them.

This crowd basically posted that everyone else's party was ova, because the Sheriff was back in town. Guess what? You may be FOR Venus (and Serena) but you're ALSO refusing 2C them as excellent (but imperfect) athletes. They've DONE their Jackie Robinson job, can't you just let them compete, not STILL have 2B "Xena, Warrior Princesses" for a people?

raquel
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:29 AM
This crowd basically posted that everyone else's party was ova, because the Sheriff was back in town. Guess what? You may be FOR Venus (and Serena) but you're ALSO refusing 2C them as excellent (but imperfect) athletes. They've DONE their Jackie Robinson job, can't you just let them compete, not STILL have 2B "Xena, Warrior Princesses" for a people?I agree with what you said here Roger, but who is Jackie Robinson? I like it when you throw those pop culture references in, and I agree the Williams sister should not have to be Xenas for a people.................even if I think Serena would look great in a Xena breastplate.

Rocketta
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Jackie Robinson---First Black player in the Major Leagues (baseball)

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Venus's forehand is her first shot to fall apart, when she gets pushed. Serena has her serve that often falls apart

Unfortnately for Venus, her forehand was not the only shot that didn't work. And her brain didn't help either

Serena´s serve is JUST the shot that saves her most of the time when pushed and is the most reliable of all her shots.

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:43 AM
But it is high time already....I mean EVERYBODY knows that those are Venus´s weaknesses: forehand and second serve....so I´m sure she knows it too....why isn´t she working on them?!

harloo
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:59 AM
I am sick of these type of threads. Everyone has weaknesses. Venus has not played a competitive match in almost a year. So why is anyone suprised that her game fell apart? She is not match tough. Lisa played the best match of her life. It happens people, so stop with all this crap about her forehand and blah blah blah. She has been beating all the players with the same forehand. When her forehand goes, it goes. We all know that, but when it's on, it's fire.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Serena´s serve is JUST the shot that saves her most of the time when pushed and is the most reliable of all her shots.

Then why did she lose to MAuresmo and Henin during the red clay season? :unsure:

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Then why did she lose to MAuresmo and Henin during the red clay season? :unsure:

Because clay is her weakest surface...and it is slower, thus people can react to her serve and make her rally...THAT is weakness: rallying.

Momo tried to challenge Serena at Paris and RG, but what saved the day?! The serve!

Justine wanted to challenge at Wimbledon.....the serve saved the day.

Serendy Willick
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:06 AM
And you act like she got her ass handed to her on those wins, she choked in both matches, which she had the upper hand and nearly closed those out.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Because clay is her weakest surface...and it is slower, thus people can react to her serve and make her rally...THAT is weakness: rallying.

Momo tried to challenge Serena at Paris and RG, but what saved the day?! The serve!

Justine wanted to challenge at Wimbledon.....the serve saved the day.

HEr serve saves her all the time. What I mean is her serve fell apart those 2 times, not the rest of her game. She also lost to JHH on clay in Charleston, but it was not because of her serve. Her serve couldn't keep her out of trouble in Charleston, but it wasn't pathetic (compared to its best) as it was against Mauresmo(Rome) and Henin(FO)

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:41 AM
HEr serve saves her all the time. What I mean is her serve fell apart those 2 times, not the rest of her game. She also lost to JHH on clay in Charleston, but it was not because of her serve. Her serve couldn't keep her out of trouble in Charleston, but it wasn't pathetic (compared to its best) as it was against Mauresmo(Rome) and Henin(FO)

So two matches and it is a weakness?! So you´re gonna pick Serena´s serve to pressure when you´re facing her?! I wish you good luck then.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:51 AM
So two matches and it is a weakness?! So you´re gonna pick Serena´s serve to pressure when you´re facing her?! I wish you good luck then.

DUH!

Venus's forehand is not a weakness! But it has happened several times, seeing her forehand just go off. Remember the USO SF 2002against Mauresmo? She almost lost because of that forehand. Same thing for Serena's serve. They are not weaknesses of course, but they are crucial parts of their games which take them to victory, when they're on, or to defeat, when they're not as good.

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:59 AM
DUH!

Venus's forehand is not a weakness! But it has happened several times, seeing her forehand just go off. Remember the USO SF 2002against Mauresmo? She almost lost because of that forehand. Same thing for Serena's serve. They are not weaknesses of course, but they are crucial parts of their games which take them to victory, when they're on, or to defeat, when they're not as good.

Weakness is something that you can focus on and know that you can attack. With Venus even whe she is winning: the game-plan is attack her second-serve and make her hit forehands...of course not always does it work, but you can build around it.

With Serena, no one is gonna make their gameplan around attacking her serve...it´s gonna be: make her hit that extra ball, because she sometimes gets inpatient....THAT is what I´d consider a weakness.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Weakness is something that you can focus on and know that you can attack. With Venus even whe she is winning: the game-plan is attack her second-serve and make her hit forehands...of course not always does it work, but you can build around it.

With Serena, no one is gonna make their gameplan around attacking her serve...it´s gonna be: make her hit that extra ball, because she sometimes gets inpatient....THAT is what I´d consider a weakness.

OH whatever!

I NEVER SAID THAT HER FH WAS HER WEAKNESS! IT'S JUST THAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HER FH DURING LISA'S MATCH BECAUSE IT SUCKED, AND IT'S NOT THE 1ST TIME IT HAPPENS.

I'M out of here 'cause this board sucks

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:23 AM
OH whatever!

I NEVER SAID THAT HER FH WAS HER WEAKNESS! IT'S JUST THAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HER FH DURING LISA'S MATCH BECAUSE IT SUCKED, AND IT'S NOT THE 1ST TIME IT HAPPENS.

I'M out of here 'cause this board sucks

See ya...don´t take it personal!

bw2082
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:40 AM
How is it that Serena and Venus were both coached by richard but serena managed to develop a better forehand and second serve?

pigam
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:05 AM
people who are looking for a weakness in the Williams-sister's game should NOT be looking for it in the serve department if you ask me :rolleyes:
Come on! Venus and Serena are the best servers out there. :confused:

Roddick_tease
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:16 AM
No venus is not. Most of the top players have a better second serve. First serve is a different story.

pigam
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Maybe but I still wouldn't call Venus' serve (in general) a weakness. Besides, there have been matches when her 2nd serve wàs working. She will probably need more matchrythm. But, for the people saying she should change her technique ... I think it's too late for that, no? Maybe a slight correction here and there, but otherwise. Venus had an offday (like Justine today :o ) But Venus had the misfortune of playing a player who played GREAT, and had a good game plan.

Roddick_tease
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:23 AM
NO player really changes their technique. They've been playing that way forever. It's more about finding a way to make that technique work. For Venus I reccomend directing the ball more the the opponents backhand.

pigam
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Yeah, isn't it strange. I mean. Justine's match today. (and her previous ones). They were so BAD! As a fan/spectator you can see things (or you think you do) players can do to beat an opponent or to start playing better, but oddly enough, the player on court doesn't seem to figure out how to adjust? I think it's strange, cuz most of them have so much experience. :confused:

Roddick_tease
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:32 AM
For whatever reason, I think the women aren't mentally tough enough. The supposed lack of depth has nothing to do with their technical game.

I mean, the next lower ranked player that plays the wrong shot at the wrong time... I think i'll go crazy.

pigam
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Yeah, you might be right there, although, come on, there have been unexperienced male players who 'messed up' too. Nadal played only a few bad shots against Hewit but it cost him the set(s), so... It has to do with experience, if you ask me. Justine was lucky she had Santangelo at the oppsite side of the net and not Lisa Raymond...

cool bird
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Well i may be the only one. But i think Venus forehand has got a little better. In the fact that she was able to pass lisa a number of times off of it. Or get the ball to lisa feet when she was coming in making lisa volley up. Some thing im not sure she would have done a year ago.

At the end of the day if you watch the match Venus forehan AND her back hand where making erros it was not just the forehand this time

jenny161185
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:59 PM
yeah i think venus' forehand has to do with confidence when she is confident I think her forehand can be brilliant she hits a lovely cross court with great depth etc So Im not sure - work on Second serve, remember she said she wanted to become a serving machine - good IDEA