PDA

View Full Version : Momo pushed but beats Molik 7-5 7-5

Mase
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Sounds like a great match, congrats Momo!

thainguyen
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:54 AM
great job Momo!

GoDominique
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Congrats Amelie but she won't win this. You don't win a slam by playing passive.

Joana
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Well done Amelie! :woohoo:
I got worried a few times, Alicia played some parts of the match great, she is becoming a dangerous player.

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Must be so frustrating for Alicia fans. She was amazing most of the time, had so many chances and just played really dumb when she was leading.
Amelie had an off day.

pierce0415
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:59 AM
http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_mauresmo_2401.jpg

Victory for Amelie :worship:

Good Luck in the quarters!

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Great way to win! She did it with a sensational shot again. Momo! :worship:

Alicia has become such a good player, though. Watch her climb the rankings this year. I've become a bit of a fan of her myself over the past few weeks.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Momo is going nowhere playing like this. Molik should have won:armed: She was the one who gave us an entertaining match. Too many silly errors at crucial times, though.

Molik led 2-1 in the 1st and 4-3 in the 2nd with a break ahead, and every time she had to hold and confirm the break those birds started flying around, breaking Molik's rythm. Did anyone notice that they showed up and screwed her head when Molik was up?

xin_hui
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:02 AM
alicia played so well, but sometimes her shots would just go way off.:mad:

but she'll improve...she'll go far:)

Doc
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Alicia had a great chance to win.

Trouble was, whenever she got ahead she started getting indecisive and making silly errors, giving the break back to Amelie. Also she never served at her best, almost no Aces from her and a LOT of missed first serves. Since the serve is one of Alicia's biggest weapons, this was a handicap.

Amelie was only at 90%. But her big serve and her speed about the court put enough pressure on Alicia to gain Momo the win.

good experience for Alicia though. Hoping she will learn a lot from it.

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Molik led 2-1 in the 1st and 4-3 in the 2nd with a break ahead, and every time she had to hold and confirm the break those birds started flying around, breaking Molik's rythm. Did anyone notice that they showed up and screwed her head when Molik was up?

Yeah, those birds were annoying

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Yes, Alicia will learn a lot from it.

Meanwhile, that trick of Momo's of telepathically controlling the local birdlife is going to make her a very dangerous player on outdoor courts this year. ;)

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Meanwhile, that trick of Momo's of telepathically controlling the local birdlife is going to make her a very dangerous player on outdoor courts this year. ;)

:lol: Did you know Justine can do that with the local crocodiles :tape: Watch out Amelie!

azza
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Alicia :sad:

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Yeah, but not many tournaments are played near swamps. Justine might be formidable in Miami, though. The everglades are not all that far away.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:16 AM
:lol: Did you know Justine can do that with the local crocodiles :tape: Watch out Amelie!

:haha:

mboyle
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Amelie had 9 aces to only 1 DF:o . Her average first serve delivery was at 98.5MPH. Her serve is amazing. I don't know, she has a chance ladies and gents...

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Amelie had 9 aces to only 1 DF:o . Her average first serve delivery was at 98.5MPH. Her serve is amazing. I don't know, she has a chance ladies and gents...

Well yeh but she still got broken 3 times in 2 sets. She has a chance, but her serve won't give her the games just like that. She has to play agressive

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Yeah, but not many tournaments are played near swamps. Justine might be formidable in Miami, though. The everglades are not all that far away.

Never heard of the Melbourne Zoo? :retard: :p

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:22 AM
*Hoping Amelie can now win the whole thing.*

alexusjonesfan
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Never heard of the Melbourne Zoo? :retard: :pWhy did you have to pick such a slow animal to have control over, Justine? :sobbing: By the time it waddles on to the RLA, Jaden Gill will have won his 5th Open :sad:

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Never heard of the Melbourne Zoo? :retard: :p
Yeah, but it doesn't have a very big croc collection. I'll bet you anything you like that, if Juju plays Momo in the semis, crocodile behaviour will have little or nothing to do with the outcome. :cool:

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Why did you have to pick such a slow animal to have control over, Justine? :sobbing: By the time it waddles on to the RLA, Jaden Gill will have won his 5th Open :sad:

You clearly need to watch David Attenborough more because you are a complete :retard: when it comes to fauna knowledge. :p

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Are you going to take my bet? It doesn't count if the croc merely distracts Amelie by eating a ballboy. I said little or no impact on the result. A significant impact would be something like biting off one of Amelie's legs.

Okay, if it eats the ballboy at match point that will count. Okay?

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Are you going to take my bet? It doesn't count if the croc merely distracts Amelie by eating a ballboy. I said little or no impact on the result. A significant impact would be something like biting off one of Amelie's legs.

Okay, if it eats the ballboy at match point that will count. Okay?

You clearly need seasonal tickets because you know noffin about the Melbourne Zoo. Eat this:

http://www.zoo.org.au/area_page.cfm?area_id=25&zoo_id=1

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Take my bet then. :D

As for the zoo, I prefer the butterfly house myself. I also think that butterflies would be a much more effective weapon in tennis than crocodiles.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Besides, apart from that one pic I don't see much emphasis on crocodiles at all on the Zoo's site.

(Someone is going to jump on us soon for derailing this thread.)

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Take my bet then. :D
As for the zoo, I prefer the butterfly house myself. I also think that butterflies would be a much more effective weapon in tennis than crocodiles.

First, I don't bet. So common :rolleyes:
Second, seems like Justine will not need her telepathic powers, because smoking Lindsay is gonna play Amelie in the semis :sad: :bigcry:

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:06 AM
(Someone is going to jump on us soon for derailing this thread.)

Pfffffff ... are we that much off topic? :scratch:

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Great win by Momo....and Alicia well: the girl can serve!!

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Lindsay playing very well in that win against Zvonereva. Yes, it might well be a Lindsay vs Amelie semi. I can't see Fabiola making much impact on Amelie. She just doesn't have the weapons to trouble Amelie.

I was looking at the match states for Momo vs Alicia and it shows how close it was. Only four or five points difference overall. They had the same number of points in the final set. It was more Momo's ability (on this occasion) to win the big points that got her this match. Those big shots from Momo at critical times, and errors from Alicia at critical times, decided the outcome. Alicia will learn a lot just from the last couple of games when Momo did what had to be done to win a match against an opponent who'd been outplaying her in some areas.

:worship: @both girls

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:20 AM
I was looking at the match states for Momo vs Amelie and it shows how close it was.

Amelie was playing herself then. That must have been fun :lol:

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Great match, great match...and you´re right leopard. Just a couple of points here or there.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Where does it say that, Deuce? :angel:

Astro Jetson
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Where does it say that, Deuce? :angel:

you sneeky croc :toothy:

Rub
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:03 AM
nice win for amelie!

Filadidas
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:31 AM
It was a tight match as expected.... I've predicted 7-5 6-4 with Amelie winning... it was so close to the real results 7-5 7-5.. ;)

The match was very good.... Alicia was playing great.... but was making the wrong choice of shots at the very crucial moments..... But she definitely pushed Amelie to play her best.....

I've not seen a match like that for quite a while..... with both ladies using the serve & volley, using the angles with their one-handed backhand groundstrokes.... good stuff!!! It's more interesting then watching a match where the ladies just try to hit harder and harder on the baseline to outplay each other or forcing errors.....

If Alicia maintains her physical condition throughout 2004.... there is no way she can't reach the Top20.....

But again... Great Win, Amelie!! Allez! Allez! :)

TS
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Great effort Alicia, but just not good enough when it mattered...

Well done Amelie! I really really really want her to win this tournament, but I agree with GoDom...she won't get the job done playing like that. Not that it was awful, she played OK, but it's not going to trouble Justine for instance. I hope she can lift it though, because she's really the only thing that's keeping me interested in this tournament! :D (well Zuluaga too ;))