PDA

View Full Version : The Williams sisters need each other...

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2004, 09:59 PM
... and I'm NOT talking about them as sisters, friends etc...

They need each other to be playing in slams!

Look here, since 1999 US Open:

1999 US Open: BOTH played, Serena Won (Venus = SF)
2000 Aus Open: ONLY Serena played, and she lost in 4th round
2000 French Open: ONLY Venus played, and she lost in QF
2000 Wimbledon: BOTH played, Venus Won (Serena = SF)
2000 US Open: BOTH played, Venus Won (Serena = QF)
2001 Aus Open: BOTH played, both lost (Venus = SF; Serena = QF)
2001 French Open: BOTH played, both lost (Venus = 1st; Serena = QF)
2001 Wimbledon: BOTH played, Venus Won (Serena = QF)
2001 US Open: BOTH played, Venus Won (Serena = Finals)
2002 Aus Open: ONLY Venus played, she lost in QF
2002 French Open: BOTH played, Serena Won (Venus = Finals)
2002 Wimbledon: BOTH played, Serena Won (Venus = Finals)
2002 US Open: BOTH played, Serena Won (Venus = Finals)
2003 Aus Open: BOTH played, Serena Won (Venus = Finals)
2003 French Open: BOTH played, both lost (Venus = 4th; Serena = SF)
2003 Wimbledon: BOTH played, Serena Won (Venus = Finals)
2003 US Open: NEITHER played.
2004 Aus Open: Venus played, she lost in 3rd

So you can see that on occasions when they both played in a GS one of them have gone on to win that slam 10 times, and only 3 times have they both been beaten (2 times at the French and 1 time at the Aus Open) = their weaker slams.

OTOH, in the case of them playing a slam by themselves (has happened 4 times) neither of them have been able to win the slam.

Which leads to my observation that they need each other's support/practise/advice in a slam setting to win the whole thing. And I think that's what they thrive on to, trying to get to those ALL-Williams finals and making history etc...

What do you think?

Hawk
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Wow that's an interesting observation.

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Great observation...and totally true. You can see when they both are playing that they look happier and more confident as well. Just knowing that the other is there, watching each other´s matches and stuff.

for-sure
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:04 PM
I think that point has been made before...but a wonderfully quantification! thank you!

vogus
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:19 PM
neither Williams sister is as tough psychologically on her own, as the two of them are as a "team"

paellapan
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:21 PM
neither Williams sister is as tough psychologically on her own, as the two of them are as a "team"

and how would you rate the difference ? Like 1 to 250,000 ? :p

harloo
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:23 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:24 PM
and how would you rate the difference ? Like 1 to 250,000 ? :p

:lol: :haha:

paellapan
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:54 PM
:lol: :haha:

sorry, this opportunity was too big to waste ;)

for-sure
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Bravo! :worship:

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:59 PM
sorry, this opportunity was too big to waste ;)

It´s cool! Some jokes have to be done! :lol: :yeah:

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Youo dont think there were other factors in Venus' loss, such as lack of matchplay and being injured for the past 6 months? You would put it down to Serena not being around? Give me a BREAK. There were also other factors involved in the other Slams you mentioned, on every occasion when only one played and lost early they had been injured and had NO matchplay leading up to the tournament. I think matchplay would have been more a deciding factor than something as weak as not having the sister there.
The Williams sisters hardly ever play the same tournaments as each other, you'd think if they needed each other for success they'd play all the same tournaments! And yes they do win tournaments other than Slams, so there goes that theory.

starr
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Youo dont think there were other factors in Venus' loss, such as lack of matchplay and being injured for the past 6 months? You would put it down to Serena not being around? Give me a BREAK. There were also other factors involved in the other Slams you mentioned, on every occasion when only one played and lost early they had been injured and had NO matchplay leading up to the tournament. I think matchplay would have been more a deciding factor than something as weak as not having the sister there.
The Williams sisters hardly ever play the same tournaments as each other, you'd think if they needed each other for success they'd play all the same tournaments! And yes they do win tournaments other than Slams, so there goes that theory.
Excellent response.

I don't know why people are looking for all these familial reasons for Venus losing. Serena wasn't there. Richard wasn't there. These aren't new conditions for Venus.

Venus has always been a bit more vulnerable in the early rounds of the Australian Open. This time she was coming off a very long lay off and found herself in a tough match when she wasn't match tough. There are always going to be these surprising defeats of champions. By itself, this loss doesn't mean that much in the bigger picture.

7~ŚLęV3ń˝
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:11 PM
" I don't know why people are looking for all these familial reasons for Venus losing. Serena wasn't there. Richard wasn't there. These aren't new conditions for Venus. "

I think what the thread starter mean is that... they both have a bigger chance of winning against their opponent if both/Richard is there... im been thinking bout the same since long time ago...

I think that if both is there... they always thought that they should only lose to themselves (to each othere) and not against each othere... Thats why theres a WILLIAMSS domination... They motivate each other, talk about each opponent before they sleep, and most of all they have practicing partners!! they know how each woman will play and if they dont, they could easily talk about it with each other...

Like in Nasdaq (or somewhere) Serena has no one to practice with, them came ms Venus, who just finished with her mathc or something), in her shorts came immediately to her response... i guess when ms Venus was in Australia, Oracene or that guy couldnt give her what she wanted that Serena gives ms Venus...and ms Venus seldom or never practice with anyone else on the tour...

conclusion: one needs the other...!!