PDA

View Full Version : Is the book out on Venus?

Roddick_tease
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:53 PM
I kept getting flashbacks of the Shaughnessy match today when I watched Raymond beat Venus. Forehand to forehand, forehand to forehand, forehand to forehand. Step to the left on the second serve so you can hit a forehand.

It's really the simplest strategy and that's how Venus is losing almost all of her matches these days. Of course Venus had players in the first two rounds that had crap forehands and good backhands, and they didn't get very far.

So is the book out on Venus? I'm sorry but she never used to get crushed by her sister, Meghan, Lisa fucking Raymond, Mauresmo, lose to Zvonareva, or be down 6-1 3-1 to Schiavone, another player with a big forehand, for example. And considering Sharapova was very recently up 5-1 against Venu before choking, it wouldn't surprise me if another big forehand started giving her trouble.

Mind you, Venus has never had a great forehand, but girls have always been content to loop balls or hit down the middle or volley or some other unsuccessful strategy to beat Venus. Every match I see Venus play, it seems like her opponents get more and more aggressive with their forehand.

Roddick_tease
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:52 AM
I guess not

Dawn Marie
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:59 AM
No.

Just look at her head to head with the top ten.

2004 Just started.

Believe me Venus won't be alone with not winning the 2004 OZ Open. Some will not have won a slam yet when they keep Venus company.

We all know that Venus will only go up in rank this year.

Sam L
Jan 25th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Yes, and it's written by Pam Shriver and Mary Joe Fernandez! ;)

Anyway, seriously, this is old, everybody knew that like since 99. The execution is a little different though.

Remember even Serena tries to pick on her forehand.

Roddick_tease
Jan 25th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Yea Sam L, i suppose it's just that as the girls have gotten stronger, they have more forehand power to execute their stategy, especially on the second serve.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Yes the book is out on Venus, I believe it was called Venus Envy.

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:10 PM
No.

Just look at her head to head with the top ten.

2004 Just started.

Believe me Venus won't be alone with not winning the 2004 OZ Open. Some will not have won a slam yet when they keep Venus company.

Well, it would be hard for her to go much lower.

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:11 PM
The answer to the question is that the book has been out on Venus for years. But almost nobody has been able to execute the strategies within successfully. Sounds easier than it is. ;)

Beat
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:36 PM
No.

erm, she will be ranked lower next week than she was last week.

Dawn Marie
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Hell if the book has been out for so long then why are these other girls still slamless and don't have alot of title wins? Lmao

Beat, Venus is an ACTIVE player and her rank will go up because she didn't play alot at all last year. I am just grateful that at the moment Venus is still playing tennis unlike your favorite.

Venus has been out for 6 months give her time.

cool bird
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:14 PM
I have to say that stragey only works when Venus is not playing well. And the other player is playing out of there skin. Do you think lisa will be able to play that way all the time. NO if she could she would be in the top ten.

Venus forehand is a good shot. I know it breaks down but i have to say you never feel to sure about going there whoever you are. Becuses she can still hit a winner from anywhere with it. I think that what people forget.
If Lisa had come out at wimbledon 2003 and played the way she did Venus would have had her off the court 3-3 im sure. Becuses Venus can reach a level that very few (maybe only one other) can get to.

Venus will get back there it maytake time maybe even a year. But Venus will get to where she was

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Hell if the book has been out for so long then why are these other girls still slamless and don't have alot of title wins? Lmao

Beat, Venus is an ACTIVE player and her rank will go up because she didn't play alot at all last year. I am just grateful that at the moment Venus is still playing tennis unlike your favorite.

Venus has been out for 6 months give her time.

Yeah, her rank will probably go up by the end of 2004. Providing she plays more than 6 events.

Honestly, optimally Venus should have 13, 14 events a year. Anything less is much too few.

bandabou
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:06 PM
The book has always been out on venus, but of course now that she´s just coming back she is a bit more vulnerable for the tactic.

Think she´s gonna be fine.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:56 PM
You know it simply amazes me...of all the controversy of Venus loosing the other day. Mind you Venus has constantly beaten a lot of players with big forehands. Davenport,Capriati, Pierce and Serena......Lisa Raymonds forehand is no where near as strong as those mentioned above..and many others have stronger forehands. Seems like the tennis world has not accepted that fact that Venus hasn't played a competitive schedule and has been out for over 6 months with limited practice, little practice time and no tournaments. Its the beggining of the season people...it takes time to get seasoned...after u have been absent from the game so long...!

vogus
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:24 PM
not true, Davenport and Pierce both have questionable forehands that break down under pressure (altho not for the same reason as Venus's). While Serena has a great forehand and look at her record against Venus.

harloo
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:32 PM
You know it simply amazes me...of all the controversy of Venus loosing the other day. Mind you Venus has constantly beaten a lot of players with big forehands. Davenport,Capriati, Pierce and Serena......Lisa Raymonds forehand is no where near as strong as those mentioned above..and many others have stronger forehands. Seems like the tennis world has not accepted that fact that Venus hasn't played a competitive schedule and has been out for over 6 months with limited practice, little practice time and no tournaments. Its the beggining of the season people...it takes time to get seasoned...after u have been absent from the game so long...!
Exactly! Folks are so hateful and caught up in her loss that they don't even consider that she has not played for a while.:mad:

lizchris
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM
erm, she will be ranked lower next week than she was last week.
Venus has zero points to defend afer this year's Wimbeldon. She can gain over a thousand points while players like Kim and Justine has thousands of points to defend and they are not going to defend them all. In addition, she lost in the fourth round of the Nasdaq-100 and the French Open so she can do better there and she has added two more clay tournametns in her spring schedule.

Dawn Marie
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Uh for only played 6 events last year and now not many points to make up in 2005 I think Venus is still in a good position to get higher in the ranks and win slams again.

I also think that Venus has only to play matches and she'll be fine.

What amazes me is that this one Venus loss has gotten alot of people thinking she can no longer compete. I mean really! At the moment there is only one tournament being played. It's not like everyone BUT Venus will be without a title.

it's way too soon to know who will have a bad year.

Venus hasn't played in over 6 months I mean really give Venus a break.

Even the haters imho know Venus is in a great position to do some WTA Tour damage.

tennisIlove09
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:05 PM
No. You can attack her forehand, but her forehand is better than any one gives her credit for. Because she hasn't won a major since the 01 US Open...that's the real reason people need to find something to attack.

Bottom line is Venus lost because she wasn't ready. Her ground game wasn't any where NEAR her best. Her shots were more centered, rather then her usual line painting.

jerk-in-the-box
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I'm not really sure if it was Venus's forehand that I was worried about as I was watching her match with Raymond. I don't know if it was just me or not but it looked to me like Venus's movement around the court wasn't her best either, which I think has to do with the lack of match play. I mean Raymond was moving Venus around everyone. I definitely agree with tennisIlove09 when he/she said that Venus's ground game was nowhere near her best but again I found her movement to be horrible.

V&SGotItGoingOn
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:40 PM
I just wanted to point out something, the four out of the five players mentioned in the original post, in my opinion, got lucky a bit with the circumstances of their wins over Venus. I am not making any excuses for Venus, if she is going to be on the court she should be able to play, but of course there is always lurking variables in matches. When Meghan beat Venus, she had been out of action for awhile, I think a month or so (might be wrong), and it was in an early round, I think Venus just wasn't prepared enough. Lisa played well, but of course, as everyone knows because they have been hearing all the time, Venus was out for six months. Mauresmo, well Mauresmo won the match that Venus sustained her stomach injury in, which would ultimately ruin most of the rest of her year. Zvonareva, she played well as well against Venus, and apparently Venus was still suffering from the stomach injury (which I am not exactly sure of, since I didn't actually see the match). Sharapova is a good player, and it was Venus's second match back... and she still won. Schiavone, can't remember that match and I didn't see it, so I have no comment on that. Serena, well she seems to just be outplaying Venus, and the rest of the field (with the exception of Justine on clay). Definitely, attacking the forehand and the second serve might be the best stradegies to play Venus, but I think we have to be reasonable, and look at the circumstances of some of the matches she lost.

Roddick_tease
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Funny how no one is outplaying Venus, according to her fans, except Serena.

Be realistic!

Some matches you just can't deny.

Like the Shaughnessy match. Venus most likely wasn't going to win that day no matter how she played.

tennisIlove09
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:52 AM
I find it odd how so many people have been playing the matches of their lives against Venus lately.

Seles at the 02 OZ played probably her best match (in major anyways) since probably the late 90's.

Serena at the 02 Wimbledon played the best match of her life, IMO. (I've never seen Serena play better since. In fact the ONLY match that comes close to that performance was her 01 US Open SF win over Hingis)

Shaughnessy at the 03 Miami. (really. What has she done since)

Zvonareva at the 03 French. (For once, she didn't seem to lose her cool. I haven't seen her play better since)

And now Raymond at the 04 Aussie.

So I refuse to believe that there's a "book" out on Venus. I think she ran into a VERY hot player on those days. (obviously that's not the entire story. 02 OZ, she had knee problems; 03 Miami she had a toe--she said on her web-site; 03 French, she had her stomach pull; 04 OZ, she just wasn't ready).