PDA

View Full Version : These Chinese pairs are tearing up the doubles draw

MLF
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Have to say the results from Tian Tian Sun & Ting Li and Jie Zheng & Zi Yan have been very impressive this week.

I know Sun & Li are the #16 seeds but they beat two very solid teams in their first two matches, Tatarkova & Prakusya 6-0 6-2 and Asagoe & Obata 6-0 6-2 also. They are up against Suarez & Ruano Pascual next so the fun will probably end there for them but hopefully they can give them a good match.

Zheng & Yan have also been very impressive beating the Sydney winners Black & Stubbs 6-4 6-2 in the first round and Kostanic & Jeyaseelan 7-5 6-1, good when you consider Kostanic hadn't lost a doubles match so far in 2004 until that point. Next up are Adriana Serra Zanetti & Sam Reeves so they've a good chance for a quarter final spot.

One of these pairs could be an outside chance of a medal slot at the Olympics I think.

lakeway11
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:46 PM
yes, Zi & Jie have been great so far--it's good to see and looks as if they have a better chance af advancing...good luck to both teams :)

wongqks
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:49 PM
I am thrilled to see them doing so well, I think this is a sign of what gonna happen in the next few years. They both have tough draw next so I am not expecting much, but I am happy coz they earn enough in this tournament to probably maintain all the expenses for the upcoming season already. Wish them all the best :)