PDA

View Full Version : Dinara Safina talks about Anna K., Russian women's tennis...

tenn_ace
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:07 PM
and she really sounds like a smart, mature girl...

Kournikova inspired new crop of stars
24 January 2004
By Julian Linden

MELBOURNE - She might have been lamthingyed for her lack of success on court but Anna Kournikova was no joke according to one of the wave of Russian women who followed her into the professional tennis ranks.

Kournikova did not win a WTA singles tournament during her eight years on the tour but Dinara Safina, whose brother Marat Safin won a U.S. Open title, said 22-year-old was the reason there are so many Russian girls playing tennis.

"A lot of players want to be like her," said Safina, one of 13 Russian women who were in the draw at the Australian Open. "Women's tennis, in Russia and around the world, is popular because of Kournikova."

Safina bristled at suggestions Kournikova did not fulfil her potential even though she made most of her fortune away from the court courtesy of being one of the most recognisable faces in the sport.

"She was in the semi-finals of Wimbledon and in the top 10," Safina growled. "So I think she did a lot for women's tennis.

"Now when there is a tournament on, people come to see women's matches when before they didn't come. It wasn't so popular, women's tennis."

Despite the huge Russian presence at Melbourne Park, just two made it to the fourth round and the country is still waiting for its first female grand slam champion.

Safina, who crashed out 6-2 6-1 to world number two Kim Clijsters on Saturday, however said it will eventually happen.

"We have good coaches now and they are helping us," she said "Every Russian girl is working so if she wins she really deserves it."

ALPHA
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:42 PM
thanks, tenn-ace, for sharing the article

Unfortunately Dinara seems to be the only Russian with the courage to make such a statements, while it's so much easier to kick someone, who's down. Tells you a lot about her character ... and the character of the rest of the Russians.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Wow, I knew there was a reason why I like this girl a lot. :) Harkleroad has also said kind words about Kournikova. These two girls have pleasantly surprised me.

It's no surprise actually because Kournikova is friends with Dinara's mom. Kournikova said she often sees little Dinara napping on the court .:)

Kart
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:00 PM
It's nice to hear from someone with nice things to say about Anna K :).

ys
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:04 PM
I am pretty sure Myskina has never said anything bad about Anna K.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:06 PM
go dee!

carot
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:14 PM
oh, nice article :)

lakeway11
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:22 PM
i must say Russian women's tennis is nearly becoming as impressive as Russian ladies figure skating used to be :worship:

ALPHA
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I am pretty sure Myskina has never said anything bad about Anna K.

true, Myskina did not ... asked about AnnaK, she said something, which could be described best as the long version of "no comment"

but you are right, Myskina indeed seems to be one of the Russians, who have no opinion on Kournikova (she's been very careful in interviews asked the common questions)

for-sure
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:44 PM
It's funny cause Kournikova has had better wins/results at a younger age than almost all the Russians put together (even currently).
Can someone please find a Russian who has
wins over Graf/Davenport/Hingis/Sanchez Vicario/Mary Pierce...was a Wimbledon-Semi-finalist and took out 4 top 10 players in one event?

ys
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:49 PM
but you are right, Myskina indeed seems to be one of the Russians, who have no opinion on Kournikova (she's been very careful in interviews asked the common questions)
She is just smart. She has opinion on Anna. In fact, I believe, they are friendly. You must be remembering pictures in Leipzig ( 2001?) right after Anna's second comeback from stress fracture? There are three of them togerther there - Nastya, Anna and Alla and all look like friends. I don't remember where I saw them posted.

Bezz
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Anna set the way for all the Russian girls, she might not be the best of them, but IMO she is :tape: , but she has done a lot for Russian tennis. Dinara is just stating a fact :D

Dava
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Anna set the way for all the Russian girls, she might not be the best of them, but IMO she is :tape: , but she has done a lot for Russian tennis. Dinara is just stating a fact :DOh the post of the year, but then its only the 24th of January so dont get ahead odf yourself;)

Bezz
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Oh the post of the year, but then its only the 24th of January so dont get ahead odf yourself;)
When i was writing it, it did feel like a really great post lol, i think it will hold off all competiton for the rest of the year. :cool:

Dava
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:58 PM
When i was writing it, it did feel like a really great post lol, i think it will hold off all competiton for the rest of the year. :cool:
I know, but then a lot could happen like i could right something like, 'Anna might not have been a great great GREAT tennis player, but she was a great personality in a sport which lacked and greatly needed them. Shes not just famous within her sport, she has total coverage, and although she is no longer the only one, she is the first one' etc etc.

Bezz
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:01 PM
I know, but then a lot could happen like i could right something like, 'Anna might not have been a great great GREAT tennis player, but she was a great personality in a sport which lacked and greatly needed them. Shes not just famous within her sport, she has total coverage, and although she is no longer the only one, she is the first one' etc etc.
:zzz:, sorry what was that dava :p ;)

Dava
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:02 PM
It was a highly educated analysis of the whole situation, i cant expect someone of yor mental ability to even begin to understand what that meant.

Bezz
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:05 PM
It was a highly educated analysis of the whole situation, i cant expect someone of yor mental ability to even begin to understand what that meant.
ooohh handbag, i will have yu know my mental ability is far superior to that of the american president! HA HA,.....er no.....wait, that not a good comparison. :tape: ;)

Dava
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:06 PM
ooohh handbag, i will have yu know my mental ability is far superior to that of the american president! HA HA,.....er no.....wait, that not a good comparison. :tape: ;)
Ok then if Kim was to play Anna RIGHT NOW what would be the score, if they played at the NASDAQ -100 in Miami?

Harju.
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:10 PM
cool, like Simon of AI would say, Anna has raised the bar for the Russians ;)

Bezz
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Ok then if Kim was to play Anna RIGHT NOW what would be the score, if they played at the NASDAQ -100 in Miami?
I think 6-3 6-2 KIM!, It would be Anna's first match back, she would be crap, and by that time kim could have won the Aussie open. So i have to pick kim, but if it was Anna versus Elena then i pick Anna :devil: