PDA

View Full Version : Is Venus injured pretty badly?

LindsayRulez
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Her video interview is on the OZ website and every time a reporter asked her about her movement or her body, she would try to avoid it and I think that it was at those points that she almost cried:

Q. Were you a hundred percent physically today?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, everybody has their issues. Don't really want to get into that. But it was okay.

Q. It appeared your movement was a little bit limited at times in the second set.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. My feet couldn't -- I don't want to get into it. Lisa played good.

Q. Were you in a little bit of shock to find yourself down so quickly?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. Just even from the warm-up, I was thinking, "She's going to play well today," just from the way she's hitting in the warm-up. My feet, I couldn't get them to go. My feet were very bad today. Especially at my height, I can't have bad feet and still play well. So that was tough.

The good news is that her stomach is great, but I think that ankle may be more serious than we knew :sad:

for-sure
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Let's fill what she said in...

Yeah. My feet couldn't... (move)

My feet, I couldn't get them to go. My feet were very bad today. Especially at my height, I can't have bad feet and still play well. So that was tough.

Just a matter of having lazy feet, I think...she said nothing about her ankle...so...

SerialKiller#69
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:05 PM
I don't think so. She was saying she couldn't make her feet move but she's also said that she's reaching and chasing all those balls back at Lisa. Maybe she's also evading accusations of making excuses and that's pretty admirable and classy imo.

Knizzle
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:09 PM
She was probably just having issues with her footwork.

K-Dog
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:09 PM
I think she also wanted to give Lisa the credit she deserved. Venus looked slow compared to prior the ankle sprain!!! Venus knows what the media thinks of the sisters and how they like to portray them when they lose!! I bet if this was Serena, she would've been spouting excuses all over the place!!

Kart
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:11 PM
She looked fine. A bit slow by her standards but that doesn't equate with injury.

K-Dog
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Or it could've been a lack of conditioning. Venus' legs didn't look as toned as they usually do.

LindsayRulez
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Then why would she say "don't really want to get into that right now" every time someone asked about her feet? There is obviously something that she is not saying; true, she didn't want to take away from Lisa's play, but Venus is still holding back.

Kart
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Maybe she just doesn't want to give any excuses.

Maybe she reads this board ;).

asheboro
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Yes, Venus hurt her ankle worse than we think. Her trainer did not even want her to go swimming because she was scared she would hurt it worse.

Glenn
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:41 PM
She isn't injured that bad, she just doesn't want to take anything away from Lisa.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:46 PM
look. there are just days when a player just cant get their feet to go. give lisa some credit ok.she hit 23 winners against vee, which never happens unless the opponent is serena. venus, being the classy babe that she is just topped herself today. she wanted the attention to go to lisa.:worship: venus.

GoDominique
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I have to admit that there were a few forehand shots from Lisa which I thought Venus would get back but she didn't even run. On other points Venus was moving well though.
Not sure what was up.

Knizzle
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I have to admit that there were a few forehand shots from Lisa which I thought Venus would get back but she didn't even run. On other points Venus was moving well though.
Not sure what was up.

I noticed this also, I was like "Venus, you should have gotten that."

lilly
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Well Safin also mentioned that you can't get your footwork right by just training, you need match stiruations and lots of it. And she didn't get much of that, now did she?
As for her "don't wanna get into that" I think she just doesn't wanna analyze it infront of journalists, getting all negative bout herself and taking something away from Lisa's achievements. Could just be a day of that numb, lazy feeling in the legs...

K-Dog
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:22 PM
To go along with Knizzle and GoDominique, Venus didn't retrieve nearly as much as she is accustomed to. Also, her defense to offense wasn't very good. That has always been someting that dejects or intimidated Venus' opponents. I remember one defensive shot from Venus that translated into an offensive shot (ex. down match point at 4-6 in the breaker backhand cross-court passing shot). I don't know why this was either. Lisa hit up the middle a lot, but when Lisa went for her shots, Venus never countered with anything offensive.