PDA

View Full Version : Was there political reasons behind Seles...

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:22 PM
becoming American? A guys I work with is from the former Yugoslavia and he claimed that at one point there was an attempt to keep Monica out of the US Open thus her hands were forced and she took out US citizenship...I dont remember this...:confused:

raquel
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I always wondered why Monica became an American. Martina Navratilova had to defect if she wanted to be a tennis player otherwise she could have ended up being kept in Czechoslovakia and forbidden to leave the country to play tennis abroad, but I am not sure what the exact reason Monica did it for. I don't think they could have kept her from playing the US Open because she was Yugoslavian though, not when Monica started playing Slams in 88/89. Something like that might have been in a problem in the 1970's, like for Martina, but not then. Maybe she just loved America so much she wanted to be an American citizen?

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Maybe she just loved America so much she wanted to be an American citizen?

Yeh right

matthias
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:50 PM
i heared once that monica decided to become american because Yugoslavia broke up to few countries, and she said she is feeling like a Yugoslavian and not serbian or croatian.
i don´t know if this right, but i heared this once, don´t blame me if i´m wrong!

faboozadoo15
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:21 PM
in her book, she talked about how when she was away from ther game, she felt like she had no supprt from a country at all... not to mention that she never had any kind of support in her tennis from yugoslavia... so she and her mother, who had been living in the united states FOR YEARS decided to become us citizens. monica recalls it as one of the happiest days of her life. and shes played fed cup, hopman cup, and the olympics for the us-- so i think it's possible that she likes it here :eek: could that be it???

Jane
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:05 PM
When Monica and her family first came to the US they were adamant that they would remain Yugoslavian and were here only here to improve Monica’s tennis. As most people know, the Seles family is ethnic Hungarian. The part of Yugoslavia that they came from was the most ethnically diverse in the country. It was with that multi-ethnic country that they identified. With the dissolution of the country into civil war, I think they felt that their country no longer existed. Add to that the fact that during the civil war, Monica was receiving almost constant death threats because she played for Yugoslavia, (even having to be evacuated from her house the night before her ’92 Wimbledon semi-final because of a bomb threat,) The threats continued even after Hamburg, and must have been even more frightening given her experience. It is hard to imagine how disturbing all of that must have been to a teenager who just wanted to play tennis and it isn’t surprising that Monica and her mother decided to become US citizens during that period. Interestingly, Monica does not mention any of this in her book, nor have I ever heard her speak publicly about the war although she has, on occasion, spoken eloquently on behalf of the children in the entire region.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:19 PM
When Monica and her family first came to the US they were adamant that they would remain Yugoslavian and were here only here to improve Monica’s tennis. As most people know, the Seles family is ethnic Hungarian. The part of Yugoslavia that they came from was the most ethnically diverse in the country. It was with that multi-ethnic country that they identified. With the dissolution of the country into civil war, I think they felt that their country no longer existed. Add to that the fact that during the civil war, Monica was receiving almost constant death threats because she played for Yugoslavia, (even having to be evacuated from her house the night before her ’92 Wimbledon semi-final because of a bomb threat,) The threats continued even after Hamburg, and must have been even more frightening given her experience. It is hard to imagine how disturbing all of that must have been to a teenager who just wanted to play tennis and it isn’t surprising that Monica and her mother decided to become US citizens during that period. Interestingly, Monica does not mention any of this in her book, nor have I ever heard her speak publicly about the war although she has, on occasion, spoken eloquently on behalf of the children in the entire region.

Seles rules

irma
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:26 PM
in her book, she talked about how when she was away from ther game, she felt like she had no supprt from a country at all... not to mention that she never had any kind of support in her tennis from yugoslavia... so she and her mother, who had been living in the united states FOR YEARS decided to become us citizens. monica recalls it as one of the happiest days of her life. and shes played fed cup, hopman cup, and the olympics for the us-- so i think it's possible that she likes it here :eek: could that be it???
but I also read in an interview that she said that she sometimes regrets leaving Europe (she wasn't talking about Yugoslavia or Serbia) and could imagine returning again and live in France or so (I think she was taking French lessons those days?)
I guess she is more like a world citizen
I am sure I read she lived in Germany too for a while before she went to the USA, because she was with a German management those days?

faboozadoo15
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:33 PM
hmmm she didn't ever live in germany to my knowledge.

and seles does mention this in her book. because i remember her talking bout taking the test, getting all the questions right, and then her proctor gave her som tricky bonus question that she got right too.

we can say she did it for a lot of reasons, i suppose. but its apparent that she does love the united states.

Dennis
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Yes Monica lived in Germany for a short period of time. I know a Bosnian girl who plays tennis for the same club in Frankfurt where Monica practised. There is a picture of young Monica on the wall in that club.

Zl@tko
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM
I remember Monica being popular in Yugoslavia when I lived there, I was a kid, so back then I wasn't huge tennis fan as I am now, but my father told me Monica was really popular at the time she was No.1. However, she probably didn't get much support in her tennis career, although people liked her. When I have become a fan of Monica, it was partly because she was Yugoslavian.

antonella
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:53 PM
I always wondered why Monica became an American

It's called $$$$$$$$$

How nAIve most of you are :p