PDA

View Full Version : Was Pam Gloating Last Night?

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I didn't see Venus' match on ESPN for the obvious reason but I wanted to know if anyone did and was she estatic that Venus lost?

Brαm
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:59 PM
You start a thread for that? :rolleyes:

deej_01
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Apparently so! The thread was started to ask a question. If you don't have an answer than just don't bother replying at all. Thanks!

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Yes. If you weren't interested, you should have ignored it.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Apparently so! The thread was started to ask a question. If you don't have an answer than just don't bother replying at all. Thanks!
Thank you for being blunt.

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I didn't see Venus' match on ESPN for the obvious reason but I wanted to know if anyone did and was she estatic that Venus lost?

She was very impartial. Not that I've ever noticed an anti-Venus bias in her. I thought she was her mentor?

Meesh
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:03 PM
No, she was not gloating at all! Read Pam's article on ESPN website about the match.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:07 PM
She was very impartial. Not that I've ever noticed an anti-Venus bias in her. I thought she was her mentor?
That's surprising.

Yes, she was her mentor, why I don't know. I think Tracy Austin would have been better.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:08 PM
No, she was not gloating at all! Read Pam's article on ESPN website about the match.
I just did.

From what I gather, she thinks Venus has lost it. Well, I refuse to believe that and hope she will win in Tokyo.

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:09 PM
That's surprising.

Yes, she was her mentor, why I don't know. I think Tracy Austin would have been better.

Maybe she would have. But did they have a falling out? Do they not get along anymore? Why would Pam be happy that Venus lost?

Meesh
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I didn't get that impression at all. I was suprised to read in other articles about Martina N's influence on LIsa. I'm a big Gator fan so I was excited about her play last night.

------
Raymond rated the victory as one of her best-ever performances, and credited her doubles partner, champion Martina Navratilova, with enhancing her positive mindset.

"I think for me, just believing, believing that I deserved to be on the court with her and believing that I was able to beat her (assisted me)," Raymond said.

"She's (Navratilova) come to watch me play a couple of times already. And, you know, she just said 'just be brave'. She sent me a text message this morning and said 'just be brave and believe in yourself'."

raquel
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:12 PM
We only get to hear Pam commentate in the UK during Wimbledon when she is on BBC and I have seen a lot of threads recently from Americans who hear her all the time, saying she now does not like Venus. She must have changed in the last year or so because during the last 4 or 5 Wimbledons, Pam has always been really complimentary to Venus. I know Pam used to mentor Venus as well so I am really surprised to hear now in a lot of threads that Pam has changed these days. Did they have a disagreement or something?

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Maybe she would have. But did they have a falling out? Do they not get along anymore? Why would Pam be happy that Venus lost?
Because she has never been where Venus has and didn't have the sucess at a young age like Venus (and Serena, for that matter).

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:27 PM
:yawn:

Andrew.
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:32 PM
She was really cool about it. She just said it was the biggest upset of the tournament and gave Lisa alot of credit. Shie didn't go out of her way to dis Venus or anything.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:45 PM
To the starter of the thread: you're sickeningly paranoid.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Since you can't read, my name is lizchris.

Apparently, like some other on this board, you are retarded because why would you come and post on a subject you don't like and know you are going to get a repsonse like this? You must like being a glutton for punishment.

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Of all the years I've watched tennis, I've never witnessed any negetive comments by Pam about Venus. She does point out Venus's flaws (2nd serve motion), but she does that with every player basically. Some examples: Kim's forehand, Lindsay's bad attitude on court.

CinnamoninCinema
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Because she has never been where Venus has and didn't have the sucess at a young age like Venus (and Serena, for that matter).

But Pam doesn't have the success of a lot of players. I don't think she openly roots against Seles or Davenport or Capriati etc etc.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:53 PM
But Pam doesn't have the success of a lot of players. I don't think she openly roots against Seles or Davenport or Capriati etc etc.
But she at least hope they win. Every time she commentates on a match that Venus is playing she hopes she loses. She is supposed to be objective; if she can't be, she should hand over the commentating duties to someone who can. like Mary Carillo.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Of all the years I've watched tennis, I've never witnessed any negetive comments by Pam about Venus. She does point out Venus's flaws (2nd serve motion), but she does that with every player basically. Some examples: Kim's forehand, Lindsay's bad attitude on court.
Exactly! She's one of the most entertainning commentators there. She knows a lot and is more experienced in commentary than most of the others.
She's blunt which makes her a great commentator. It doesn't matter how precise and true what she says is cuz her job is get the viewers to turn on and be interested. In that sense, she's been doing a great job!

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:56 PM
I have never sensed her taking a side in commentating. At least compared to Pat M, who is a kissing ass king, she's fairly neutral.

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I have never sensed her taking a side in commentating. At least compared to Pat M, who is a kissing ass king, she's fairly neutral.
LoL, Pam is 100x better comentator that PMac. :retard:

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:00 PM
LoL, Pam is 100x better comentator that PMac. :retard:
Being the Davis Cup captain should make him ineligible to be a commentator because he can't be objective.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Being the Davis Cup captain should make him ineligible to be a commentator because he can't be objective.
That's a lame excuse. so being Davis Cup caption would give you the right to BS?

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:06 PM
That's a lame excuse. so being Davis Cup caption would give you the right to BS?
I don't know wht a caption is, but as Davis Cup captain, he can't be objective because he is going to root for the Americans.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I don't know wht a caption is, but as Davis Cup captain, he can't be objective because he is going to root for the Americans.
Well he should root for them when he's NOT commentating. Can't he be more professional? He's the only commentator I bother to put on mute.

Amanda
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Pam only stated that everyone was shocked by Lisa's performance...she just played really well..."she(lisa) is playing the match of her life..." No diss to Venus....just Lisa turned it up a notch against Venus......and Venus way too many errors.

faboozadoo15
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:14 PM
most american commentators root for all american players anyway... (omG i can't believe im defending pmac :eek: ) their job and salary depends on an american viewership. if the americans are winning, the americans watch. boost ratings, they win too.

and i've never understood all this pam shriver is biased against the williams sisters bullshit. she just wrote a nice article 2 days or so ago about "how it appears as if venus was never out for seven months, as she's already back to playing beautiful tennis." she's hard on them and expects a lot, but she doesn't dislike them at all. some venus and/or serena fans are so damn paranoid.

starr
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Pam Shriver has always liked Venus as far as I can see.

I have also seen it on this message board that Pam is biased against Venus, but I don't see it.

When Martina was playing, it seemed to me that Pam very much did not like Martina and would go out of her way to say actually nasty things about her and about Melanie. I haven't heard her do anything nearly like that against Venus.

Last night, my impression was that Pam kept expecting Venus to turn it up a notch and was surprised about the defeat.

servenrichie
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I didn't see Venus' match on ESPN for the obvious reason but I wanted to know if anyone did and was she estatic that Venus lost?Didnt you start a thread 2 days ago, how Venus was gonna blow Lisa away?
Hope you are enjoying that can of worms you opened:devil:

tenn_ace
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
if anything, she was shocked... neither her or Mary JF expected it to happen this way, especially that before the match they were almost saying that basically Lisa didn't have a chance... ("Lisa should play a perfect match and get a lot of help from Venus").

tenn_ace
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Pam Shriver has always liked Venus as far as I can see.

I have also seen it on this message board that Pam is biased against Venus, but I don't see it.

When Martina was playing, it seemed to me that Pam very much did not like Martina and would go out of her way to say actually nasty things about her and about Melanie. I haven't heard her do anything nearly like that against Venus.

Last night, my impression was that Pam kept expecting Venus to turn it up a notch and was surprised about the defeat.
well said... totally true.:worship:

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Didnt you start a thread 2 days ago, how Venus was gonna blow Lisa away?
Hope you are enjoying that can of worms you opened:devil:
Based on previous performances, yes I expected Venus to win.

I didn't open any can of worns since most people expected Venus to win too.:rolleyes: