PDA

View Full Version : I have a feeling there could be a surprise winner...

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:22 AM
... meaning someone other than Justine, Amelie, Lindsay and Kim.

I was shocked and saddened that Venus lost. I was looking forward to a great potential match up between her and Kim.

Anyway, I think if there is going to be a surprise winner other than those four, it'll be Zvonareva. What say you?

Mironia
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Yeah, sure...Venus is out so it will be a suprise winner. I mean, it's very strange that Vee lost so it must be something wrong with the whole tournament...I think those favorite players doesn't have a chance to win this GS...

azza
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Alicia :) she has a chance against momo and when she gets past here she has a easy draw for the Q/F vs Kapros or Zuluago :D

SerialKiller#69
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I think I'd be surprised if Kim wins.

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:37 AM
I think I'd be surprised if Kim wins.
:haha:

-Sonic-
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:38 AM
obsessed with calling her zuluago aren'tcha?

New
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:38 AM
... meaning someone other than Justine, Amelie, Lindsay and Kim.

I was shocked and saddened that Venus lost. I was looking forward to a great potential match up between her and Kim.

Anyway, I think if there is going to be a surprise winner other than those four, it'll be Zvonareva. What say you?

a surprise winner won't be zvonareva cos she has been consistent the whole of last year so it's not surprising... it's gotta be someone out of the top 20 to win...like molik...that'll be surprising!!!

azza
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:41 AM
obsessed with calling her zuluago aren'tcha?

haha my bad sorry :angel:

Gowza
Jan 24th, 2004, 11:01 AM
i was sad that venus lost but raymond played well and congrats to her. i was disappointed about sharapova losing, myskina is a good player and i thought it would have been a tough match but i did thinki sharapova would get through, i guess the bit that disappointed me the most was how the 3rd set went after having such a great 2nd set. still masha did well.

imo sharapova was the only possible surprise winner. but i think myskina has a bit of a chance now.

Rothes
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Hop Schnyder!

katrientje
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:32 PM
a surprise winner won't be zvonareva cos she has been consistent the whole of last year so it's not surprising... it's gotta be someone out of the top 20 to win...like molik...that'll be surprising!!!If vera would win, that would be a huge surprise, it's not like she's been winnning big tournaments already.

imogen
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Argh! all my favs are out! I'm rooting for Alicia Molik to take the title!

propi
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I hope so, a surprise favourite would be great... I wonder if Myskina can grab it :D

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:46 PM
I hope so, a surprise favourite would be great... I wonder if Myskina can grab it :D
Myskina has NEVER really impressed me. She seems to me like a seat-warmer for the next Russian #1. :shrug:

selestribe
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Well said ! Myskina is a midge :lol:
I think the biggest surprised winner would be Mauresmo ... she has a very easy draw and winning at least a grand slam would be the biggest surprise of the year !
But I really have doubts ... :hehehe:

Monique
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I think it would be great for the WTA if Momo wins... it would mean a tad of unexpectability for the next tournaments, breaking the current Williams-Belgians axle and giving more hope to the other girls...

go hingis
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:41 PM
I would love to see Molik win but it's still a long shot. Next pick would be Myskina. Kim is my pick out of the top followed by Lyndsay.

I fear god might not be on Kim's side, playing injured doesn't set a good example,lol, but who am I to know how bad it is.

pReUrBrIyN
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I really think Vera can make the final if she can get over the Davenport hurdle, if she can do that theres no looking back.

But who to face in the final? Well I don't know if Kim is ready yet, but we'll have to see in the QF where she'll face either Rubin or Myskina that should be her only test to the final because I really don't see Kim not getting to the final unless she loses in the QF.

Fantastic
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I still think Kim will win. She's playing better than Justine and Amelie at the moment IMO. But that could change come the finals. Like it did TWICE last year. :rolleyes:

Should Kim be brought down by injury, I'd pick Justine to win it. There shouldn't be too many surprises this year unless Tatiana Golovin somehow rampages on home with the title from here.

raquel
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:34 PM
I still think the winner will be from Justine, Kim, Amelie and Lindsay. Kim and Amelie look in great form and the only person who I think will win outside of these four is Chanda. We might have a surprise finalist but I don't see a surprise winner. I would like to see Chanda come through and take this if Kim doesn't.

Epigone
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM
If Vera controls her temper, she has a good chance of causing an upset. However, she'll need to get herself mentally prepared for four tough matches, and I'm not sure if this is too much of a stretch for her at this time.

Gandalf
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:56 PM
I think that if there is a winner different from Justine, Lindsay, Kim or Amelie it will be Chanda. She's playing better with every match.

gorecki
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:14 PM
if it top gals don't take
i'd really like Patty to sneak through and win it! :D

canoe.
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM
if it top gals don't take
i'd really like Patty to sneak through and win it! :D
I would loooove to see that happen!I might drop dead from the shock,but it would be worth it.lol :yippee:

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Well.. I don't think there will be a surprise winner unless we count Amelie as one. When was the last time someone not named Williams beat either Kim or Justine at a GS? The Belgians have been so dominant over everyone not named Williams for more than a year now. I think apart from Lindsay and Amelie, there is no one who has a shot at the title. However, I would like to see Raymond to continue her great run from here on.

supah-fly
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Yeah right......Ok...realistically, Zvonareva, Patty, Chanda???? NOT!

I think there will be no surprises, and the final will be Kim vs. Justine,...again.

Justine in two easy ones......

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Thinking Molik will win it is almost laughable even more than picking Zvonareva.
Both of them is nowhere near where the Belgians are. Just because Venus lost, doesn't mean there will be a surprise winner. Another all Belgian final got even more likely with Venus losing.

kyk710
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:46 PM
supah-fly, nice post :rolleyes:
I agree with Gandalf, Chanda has been playing better with each match. SHe should beat Myskina, based on how they both have played so far. I definitely think that if there is a surprise winner, it will be her.

selestribe
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I think there will be no surprises, and the final will be Kim vs. Justine,...again.

Justine in two easy ones......

:eek: Oh no, not again !!!
Go Lindsay !!! :bigclap:

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I donīt understand how people are so underestimating Myskina and think Maria is all that?! Myskina is good, real good! She recently beat Kim and even without the injury was still giving Kim fits INDOORS!

So out of the Kim, Justine, Amelie, Lindsay pack...if any of them falters, Myskina could do some serious damage.

Plus anyone in that outfit Myskinaīs been wearing, canīt be bad!! :drool: :hearts: :drool:

pierce0415
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:21 PM
If Amelie dosen't win, I would like there to be surprise winner (any of the other women) rather than having Justine, Kim or Lindsay win. :bounce:

Imagine Golovin winning the 2nd slam she enters as wild card or Patty somehow putting it together to win ... LOL:lol:

Hawk
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:22 PM
and by recent you mean 2002 :p That was the last time Myskina beat Kim..minus Kim's retirement last fall.

Anyhoo from this point on it's all up in the air I think.

Elvira
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:24 PM
It would be nice to have a surprise winner, but if it's going to be a "surprise" I guess we can't predict it, can we? :)

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:26 PM
and by recent you mean 2002 :p That was the last time Myskina beat Kim..minus Kim's retirement last fall.

Anyhoo from this point on it's all up in the air I think.

:lol:....but you get my point. Stillīd pick her to beat Kim over Maria...īcause Maria CANīT rally.

Hawk
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:29 PM
:lol:....but you get my point. Stillīd pick her to beat Kim over Maria...īcause Maria CANīT rally.
Yeah Myskina is far steadier..Maria tends to push it a little too much and sometimes bails out of by going for the big shot..which she misses rather often :o

wtaworld
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:29 PM
I hope that someone other than the top players win this tournament. I think it will be great. Most importantly, I don't want Justine winning another major. If she were to win this one, that would mean she would only need Wimbledon to get all four and I don't want to hear about a 'Ju Ju Jam Slam'. I know that she has improved her game, but I don't consider her a true number 1. All the best to an underdog surpruse winner for this tournament.:rolleyes:

Allez-H
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:36 PM
I think that it will be between Justine and Kim again.If Justine keeps her cool like she did the last couple of months,she's going to beat Kim once again.But maybe Amelie or Lindsay can upset Justine but if they do,I don't see them win the whole thing.But I still expect Justine in the final against Kim.And then will see who's going to be the winner.Hopefully it will be my Juju ;)

Martian Willow
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:38 PM
At this point, I'd be surprised if we had a surprise winner.

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I hope that someone other than the top players win this tournament. I think it will be great. Most importantly, I don't want Justine winning another major. If she were to win this one, that would mean she would only need Wimbledon to get all four and I don't want to hear about a 'Ju Ju Jam Slam'. I know that she has improved her game, but I don't consider her a true number 1. All the best to an underdog surpruse winner for this tournament.:rolleyes:

Juju Jam Slam?! :haha: :rolls: :haha:

sartrista7
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I still think Kim will win. She's playing better than Justine and Amelie at the moment IMO. But that could change come the finals. Like it did TWICE last year. :rolleyes:

Should Kim be brought down by injury, I'd pick Justine to win it. There shouldn't be too many surprises this year unless Tatiana Golovin somehow rampages on home with the title from here.

haha I've been one of Tati's biggest cheerleaders here but I think the wide open draw has sort of scrambled everyone's brains... if she can even get to the semis she's a lot better than I thought she was, and I think she's very special.

I think it's important to take Kim's injury into account... she hasn't played anyone who's made her run enough to really test it, and I doubt that'll happen vs Silvia. But the Myskina/Rubin winner has an excellent shot at kicking her out of the tournament.

lauryn
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:47 PM
I think Lindsay or Mauresmo will upset Justine and we'll get a final between Kim and (hopefully) Momo.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:56 PM
as long as it is NOT myskina, i guess i'm ok with it.of course, i want kim to win, followed by justine, vera and momo.

ys
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:10 PM
If it is a surprise winner, I do not think it will be Zvonareva. Not because she is not good fot that. Simply because of easy mathematical probabilty calculations. To win it she has to consequently beat Lindsay, Justine, Amelie and Kim. No player in the world, excluding Williams sistes at their best, would have had any good odds of accomplishment that. It is simply improbable. Her draw is too tough to win it.

My wild guess would be that if we are looking for s surprise winner it could be the Patty time. She has the easiest draw of all. She is the favourite to make it to the semis from that quarter. And from there it's only two matches.