PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most wide open Grand Slam draw ever?

switz
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:05 AM
when was the last time there were multiple 4th round matches like zuluaga vs kapros; golovin vs raymond; dechy vs schnyder/suarez in a grand slam? the US Open had a few surprising quarter finalists i know but here there is a good chance there will be four players outside the top 20 in the same section of the draw playing in the 4th round.

i was pissed at first when raymond beat venus, but know i realise it really opens the door for my favourite (patty) to make the semis. of course she will probably lose to suarez.

there are still some strong players left though and it will probably still be an all belgian final

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:40 AM
when was the last time that all players(Lindsay, Momo, Juju, Kim, Venus) who has the realistic chance of winning this thang all happened to be injured ??? could all of these players be out before the Finals ??

Mattographer
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:56 AM
No, Roland Garros 2000 was the widest open ever, I think! :D

Mattographer
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:57 AM
No, Roland Garros 2000 was the widest open ever, I think! :D
In the same year, it's first time in a long time that no American player in semis!

Keith17
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:06 AM
No...

I'd have to go with the 1995 Australian Open.

Graf didn't play, Seles was still out of course, and Conchita was the #2 seed.

One quarter was with Sabatini, who just won Sydney and the Virginia Slims, then inexplicably lost to freaking Marianne Werdel in the 1st round (who eventually got to the SF :o), and Novotna, who was beginning to hate playing the Aussie season at this time. It was pretty sad when a QF match was Werdel vs. Galvadon. Sawamatsu also reached the QF's.

esquímaux
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Not the widest ever but it definitely is more open that a hooker on Rodeo Dr. ;)