PDA

View Full Version : How many bonus points will Raymond get...

esquímaux
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:55 AM
...after her lucky win over venus?

Keith17
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:58 AM
A whole 86... :sad:

moby
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:42 AM
...after her lucky win over venus?
lucky?
the better you are, the luckier you get ;)

K-Dog
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:12 AM
On another note, how many points will Venus lose and what will her ranking be after the Aus. Open?

Keith17
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Venus will lose 618 points.

She'll drop to #15 for now, maybe #16 if Farina Elia wins a couple more rounds.

The sad thing is that Raymond really won't move up much. Her Tokyo SF points come off the week of the AO. :sad:

TNT96
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:19 AM
lucky my ass-she played great

K-Dog
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:30 AM
I think that Lisa will move up a few for spots, because I believe that there is no reason that she can't get to the semi-finals. The draw is soo wide open for her if she can play like she did today!!

Hurley
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:32 AM
WTA has said beating the Williams sisters with their "special rankings" will receive bonus points for their special ranking. So Lisa will get points for beating the World #3, even though, now more than ever, it is clear that Venus ain't even close to #3. Nevertheless, from what I understand, unless they change their mind because MAN WAS THAT STUPID, Lisa will get 132 bonus points for beating the World #11, and falling, Venus Williams.

esquímaux
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Venus will lose 618 points.

She'll drop to #15 for now, maybe #16 if Farina Elia wins a couple more rounds.

The sad thing is that Raymond really won't move up much. Her Tokyo SF points come off the week of the AO. :sad:
:eek:

lucky my ass-she played great
Ummm who said she didn't play great??? :shrug: ppl are sooo jumpy in these threads :rolleyes:

Keith17
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:42 AM
WTA changed the rule specifically for the Williams'?

I know that injured rankings haven't been enforced for other players... for example, Asa Svensson this week.

Hurley
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:01 AM
WTA changed the rule specifically for the Williams'?

YUP. Worked out really well, huh? ;)

Keith17
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:03 AM
It's bullshit that they can do that actually... not that I'm complaining because Lisa deserves to move past the scrubs in the 15-30 range, none of which are doing a damn thing this week. :)

Hurley
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:05 AM
I wish I could find the press release which explained it. I can't. I'm pretty sure I'm right about this though, because I remembered spitting nickels when I read it.

Hurley
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:10 AM
You can read about it here:
http://www.wtatour.com/media/notesandnetcords/editions/2004/jan12.pdf
Go to Page 3.

Quality points will be awarded to players who beat Serena and Venus based on their special seeding (...players who defeat Venus, who has a special seeding of No. 3, will earn points typically awarded for beating a No. 3 player)...

There you have it. 132 Quality Points will be awarded to Lisa Raymond for beating World No. 11 Venus Williams. :rolleyes:

c0bra
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:11 AM
LOL gotta laugh at the idiots running the WTA. ;)

TennisHack
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Go to Page 3.

Quality points will be awarded to players who beat Serena and Venus based on their special seeding (...players who defeat Venus, who has a special seeding of No. 3, will earn points typically awarded for beating a No. 3 player)...

There you have it. 132 Quality Points will be awarded to Lisa Raymond for beating World No. 11 Venus Williams. :rolleyes:
There was also that gigantic thread about it the week before the AO here ;) Guess that's what they get for messing with the seeds :)

Hurley
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:21 AM
It's one thing to give out special seedings. That's another story.

But NEVER have Quality Points been given out based on anything other than Actual Ranking UNTIL THIS WEEK. And boy, did it blow up in their face.

TennisHack
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Well, injury protected rankings, I agree with. Special seeding in only certain draws, no dice. And I think quality points are one of the WTA ranking system's flaws ;) So, I stand by my original statement :D

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:25 AM
So Raymond's ranking won't change much because of Tokyo's SF points coming off right?

BTW, some significant changes in the rankings:

Venus drops to #14
Farina Elia re-enters top20 at #19
Dechy gets to #21 from #32
Kuznetsova gets to #23 from #33
Shaughnessy drops to #29 from #17
Hantuchova drops to #32 from #19
Safina gets to #39 from #69
Bovina drops to #35 from #22

Sharapova, Krasnoroutskaya and Zuluaga also improve a little (specially Zuluaga)

Hurley
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Well, they're integral, but if they're going to give 'em out willy-nilly like this, then yeah, I'm right there with you.

Hurley
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:26 AM
So Raymond's ranking won't change much because of Tokyo's SF points coming off right?

I haven't done the math yet, but you're right. It should rise a little, she's picked up more points here than she is defending from Tokyo. And she still has a great chance to win another match or two.

TennisHack
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Safina gets to #39 from #69
:banana::banana::banana: Great to see Safina in the Top 50 again!

And, lest ye forget, the two big stories of the tournament that haven't been discussed at any length ;) -- Aniko Kapros & Tatiana Golovin. I've seen some projections for Golovin through to the SF's, but not for Kapros. I think Larson has her at around #60 as of this round.

Fingon
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:33 AM
WTA has said beating the Williams sisters with their "special rankings" will receive bonus points for their special ranking. So Lisa will get points for beating the World #3, even though, now more than ever, it is clear that Venus ain't even close to #3. Nevertheless, from what I understand, unless they change their mind because MAN WAS THAT STUPID, Lisa will get 132 bonus points for beating the World #11, and falling, Venus Williams.
the WTA is bullshitting, I am sure the ranking guys weren't asked about this.

The special rankings is for seeding purposes only, Lisa will get point for beating # 11.

TennisHack
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:37 AM
the WTA is bullshitting, I am sure the ranking guys weren't asked about this.

The special rankings is for seeding purposes only, Lisa will get point for beating # 11.
Keep reading, Fingon . . . how did you miss that big thread about it before, too? This has been known for awhile ;)

Hurley
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Fingon,

Go to Page 3.

Go 'head, click the link. I dare ya. ;)

Fingon
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:57 AM
On another note, how many points will Venus lose and what will her ranking be after the Aus. Open?
Venus losses 618 points, she is currently # 14 with 1,593 points.

The closest player still in the tournament is Silvia Farina, 1,268.75. She will need to at least reach the semis to catch Venus.

Fingon
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Keep reading, Fingon . . . how did you miss that big thread about it before, too? This has been known for awhile ;)
I know the wta has said that in the news, but I haven't see the rule actually changed, it wouldn't be the first time they get it wrong. I believe someone just thought it's that way, it would be ridiculous. Let's say Lisa Raymond gets to the final and beats Mauresmo, would she get points for beating 2 number 3s?

The WTA really has to stop this bullshit of special seeds, and just in case, if Justine anytime benefits from it, please quote me. There should not be special rankings, either you have rankings or you don't, if they want to handpick the rankings, go ahead but then scratch the current system.

The WTA is more and more of a joke, every day, I think this Scott whatever guy is an idiot.

Hurley
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:11 AM
I haven't see the rule actually changed

http://www.wtatour.com/media/notesa.../2004/jan12.pdf
Go to Page 3.