PDA

View Full Version : Now I understand why Serena didn't want to play.

"Topaz"
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:50 AM
After a long layoff, if you're an elite player and don't feel 110%, don't show up cold-turkey at a Slam. Venus's loss in the third round shows that an exhibition game is just not enough to get match tough and be ready to face players who've been battling it day in day out. Though Lisa is #25, she's an elite doubles-player who can rise to the occasion at any time; and today was one. Brave showing on the part of Venus, and I hope her confidence do not suffer from this loss.

Congrats Lisa! Let me say that was totally unexpected.
Get back on your feet, Vee. You MUST take home that well-known diamond trophy in February.

Diya
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:51 AM
:lol: Typical !

joao
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Somehow, I'd rather see Venus lose to Raymond than to Clijsters, Mauresmo or Henin ... it is of a sweeter taste ...

Diya
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Somehow, I'd rather see Venus lose to Raymond than to Clijsters, Mauresmo or Henin ... it is of a sweeter taste ...

like you had a choice .....Lisa saved Venus the embarrassment of losing 6-0 6-1 to the Belgians :tape:

GoGoMaggie
I kinda feel for Vee. If either of the sisters was meant to lose here, it shoulda been the cocky Serena.

VW#1
Venus will be just fine after this loss. If the Williams Sisters have shown anything is that they rebound very quickly. Look what happened after the French Open this year.

for-sure
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:55 AM
But I thought that the sisters did not need to play a lot of matches to win?? I thought they always warmed up in rounds 1-4.

BigTennisFan
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:55 AM
After a long layoff, if you're an elite player and don't feel 110%, don't show up cold-turkey at a Slam. Venus's loss in the third round shows that an exhibition game is just not enough to get match tough and be ready to face players who've been battling it day in day out. Though Lisa is #25, she's an elite doubles-player who can rise to the occasion at any time; and today was one. Brave showing on the part of Venus, and I hope her confidence do not suffer from this loss.

Get back on your feet, Vee. You MUST take home that well-known diamond trophy in February.
I don't think that her confidence will suffer. If her confidence was going to suffer a blow I think that it would have been when she lost in the first round at RG a couple of years ago. Even Venus can't beat everybody all the time as we all know. But I think that like Schett and Zvonereva this loss will be taken care of in short order. But you're right, Venus needs match play to work it when she meets good players. Raymond is normally not that good but apparently she played the match of her life today. Kudos to Lisa.:)

deej_01
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:00 AM
like you had a choice .....Lisa saved Venus the embarrassment of losing 6-0 6-1 to the Belgians :tape:

Yeah freaking right. No matter how bad Venus played or plays the Belgians would never beat her her 0 and 1.

joao
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:01 AM
You mean like when Henin lost to Venus in straight last year at the AO or when Kim couldn't even beat a very injured Venus at Wimbledon?:p

We'll see what happens when it happens Diya ...

Mr. Man
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Yeah freaking right. No matter how bad Venus played or plays the Belgians would never beat her her 0 and 1.
Please ignore the troll.

ys
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:06 AM
From what I saw, it is not about just long layoff. I haven't seen Raymond match yet, but as I said it after Duchevina match, Venus is physically nowhere close to Venus Williams of old. By her own standards she is SLOW. Was it her injuries that affected her, but her legs are not as quick, her reactions are slow, her reflexes are slow. Her offensive abilities were not affected as much, but her defensive play looked very subpar. I'll say more after seeing Lisa match.

BigTennisFan
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:19 AM
From what I saw, it is not about just long layoff. I haven't seen Raymond match yet, but as I said it after Duchevina match, Venus is physically nowhere close to Venus Williams of old. By her own standards she is SLOW. Was it her injuries that affected her, but her legs are not as quick, her reactions are slow, her reflexes are slow. Her offensive abilities were not affected as much, but her defensive play looked very subpar. I'll say more after seeing Lisa match.
You may very well be right, ys. I'm taping the match so I'll have to see it later. I just don't think that Venus can be Championship ready after such a long layoff. Most of her other layoffs did not involve this kind of injury (let's not even mention the other stresses the family had). But if she means what she says about focus on tennis, she'll be back strong. :)

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Iīm with ys...Venus is SLOW SLOW SLOW!! It seems that the ankle-strain really hampered her movement after the first-match. She couldnīt move to her left at all.

antonella
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:31 AM
venus should have used gold coast or adidas as a warm-up rather than the AO, that's a bit too much.

"Topaz"
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:32 AM
As BigTennisFan stated, you probably have a point there, YS. I'm watching the match right now and I see Venus's right leg all patched-up from top to bottom. That has to affect her confidence on that leg and, therefore, her speed.

Let me watch a bit more.

SJW
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:34 AM
From what I saw, it is not about just long layoff. I haven't seen Raymond match yet, but as I said it after Duchevina match, Venus is physically nowhere close to Venus Williams of old. By her own standards she is SLOW. Was it her injuries that affected her, but her legs are not as quick, her reactions are slow, her reflexes are slow. Her offensive abilities were not affected as much, but her defensive play looked very subpar. I'll say more after seeing Lisa match.just for those who haven't seen it, Lisa played STUNNING. her forehand down the line was OUT OF THIS WORLD. Venus hasn't played for 6 months, but Lisa, unlike some higher ranked players against Venus, came out with a gameplan and EXECUTED. her movement was exceptional, and i can't be mad when my faves lose to someone who seized the initiative.

Venus is a big name, but it doesn't mean that Lisa doesn't deserve the credit.

moby
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:34 AM
it seems that venus is really all that without her amazing athlethism
even with her big serve

azinna
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:31 AM
venus should have used gold coast or adidas as a warm-up rather than the AO, that's a bit too much.

Period. It's tough for her, because she was hoping to strike a balance between playing and avoiding injury. But she was asking much too much from both herself and fellow female players. There are simply too many lisas on the tour to take advantage of such blatant lack in match toughness.

What's suprising is how little insight our girl has into her overall performance needs. She has always taken her time and beaucoup off-court practice to get into form. Without both those things in her preparation she loses not only at the French, but at Key Biscane as well. Not only to Justine or Jelena, but also to Lisa, Meghan, and Barbara Schultz.

Venus will rise. She always does. But her next Slam win will come as the others had: while giving tennis her all, week in and out, absorbing a spattering of painful losses on the way to getting herself on a roll. The child needs to be out there on the court with regularity. Giving her mind and body the rhythm of playing full-time. Without that there will be tweaks, sprains, strains, nerves, off-forehands, doublefaults, brain fags, etc...

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Now I can agree with this..I think that Serena wanted to wait until she can come back and pick off from where she left. I highly doubt that Venus confidence will suffer...if anything she will come back kickin ass like she did b4 she took that long break. Come on people...she and her coaches realize what she needs to do......don't worry...Vee will be back..along with Serena...you have to look at circumstances b4 the Australian Open.

azinna
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I hope you're right dem.
In fact, we could say that mama and papa know a lot about Venus and Rena. They may very well know that a ego-bruising loss like this one is just the sort of match (or two) Venus typically needs on her way back to form. Might as well get it (them) out of teh way early in the season.

Rena, on the other hand, is a perfectionist, and so needs no such external stimuli to know where she is with respect to form and what she needs to do to get there. I am confident that she can pull off whatever entrance she's planning on the tour.

TonyP
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:07 PM
The interesting thing was, it was Venus serve that kept her in the match. It was her footwork and the lack of pace on her groundies that cost her the match.

I think both Myskina and Sharapova were hitting the ball every bit as hard as Venus, if not harder.

Would having played a tune up tourne have helped? Maybe? Is injury a constant threat to Venus? Who is to say? She doesn't play the heavy schedule many other players play, yet she seems to be injured as much or more than most other players. But what cannot be denied is that Serena is not the only player who can beat Venus in a slam. She lost the last FO and now this AO to players not named Williams.

Does all of this matter a whole heck of a lot to Venus? While I am sure she doesn't like losing any more than anyone else does, I doubt that she is going to sink into depression over this.

I continue to believe that while she cares about tennis, it is not her first priority in her life and that's her right. You only care about something as much as you care about it, anyway. And while I think she'd love to get another slam in her career, I don't think she'll feel like a failure if she doesn't, and she won't be.

Can she come back? Sure. Will she? That's another question.

pigam
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I give Venus A LOT of credit. She put herself in a 'weak position'. She knew, there was a chance she wouldn't be ready, but she played anyway. You hav to make a comeback on day, she decided to do it @ a GS. maybe it would have been 'smarter' to play a warm-up first, but hey, it's her decision, and she thought she coud do it.
Please, don't overdramatise. She lost. But there are 2 players on court and 1 has to lose. Lisa played great, and Venus wasn't as cool as she normally is on the important point.
Hats off to Lisa
Hats off to Venus too!!

"Topaz"
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:51 PM
The child needs to be out there on the court with regularity. Giving her mind and body the rhythm of playing full-time. Without that there will be tweaks, sprains, strains, nerves, off-forehands, doublefaults, brain fags, etc...I totally agree. Hmm... maybe, I would exclude 'brain fags'.

JennyS
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:30 PM
I have a feeling that the Rebound Ace surface is part of the reason Serena didn't play the AO. It's probably not the best idea to play your first match in six months on a sticky surface.