PDA

View Full Version : Can Lisa win the whole thing?

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:50 AM
I have always thought she was an under-acheiver for the loads of talent she's got. She had some great wins over top players before but never when it mattered like at the GSs. She finally broke through at a GS and now the question is can she keep it up? If she continues to play the way she did to beat Vee today, I wouldn't be surprised if she won the whole thing and eventually got into the top 10 sometime in the season. Or is she just a streaky play like Maggie?

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Hey she beat VENUS WILLIAMS!

SJW
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:15 AM
what speed was the bandwagon travelling at when you hopped on?

ys
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Expect little French girl to beat her handily tomorrow.

disposablehero
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:18 AM
She reached her potential years ago. Without having seen it, I would simply assume that today was one of those "on" days that every player has.

DunkMachine
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Lisa played an excellent match. Venus didnt have the answers today. Now I sincerely hope that Lisa wins the aussie open. If she canplay that well tactically, she should have little problems with the rest of the field.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:19 AM
what speed was the bandwagon travelling at when you hopped on?
I joined the Lisa :cool: bandwagon eons ago for your information.

ys
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:33 AM
What a funny match so far.. Lisa outplaying Venus from the baseline.. It does not make any sense.

GoDominique
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:37 AM
What a funny match so far.. Lisa outplaying Venus from the baseline.. It does not make any sense.
Like I said: you have to see it to believe it - and even then you don't. :o

HellanSpicen
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Yeah, Lisa will win all for major in a row. Wow!!!!!! She beat a player who hasn't played a real tounrment in six months!!!! Lisa Raymond future number 1

DunkMachine
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Yeah, Lisa will win all for major in a row. Wow!!!!!! She beat a player who hasn't played a real tounrment in six months!!!! Lisa Raymond future number 1Ok, shut the fuck up now

Tratree
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Lisa's win tonight only cements my theory that this whole "I just play my game...." or "I play the ball..." stuff is crap. You have to know your opponent and go in with a plan. Lisa did that and that is why she won. She knew her slice would bother Venus.....she knew to hit up the middle to Venus.....she took advantage of those weak 2nd serves. Great execution by Lisa....and I am by NO means a Raymond fan. In fact, I call her Lawsuit Lisa from the old Olympics scandal, so don't label me a bandwagon jumper or a Venus hater. I just appreciate a well-played match.

Rollo
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Good win for Lisa-but I'd be shocked silly if she goes any farther than the semis-and even then she's never gotten that far in a slam.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Lisa has all the weapons to win GS, Things are just not doing really well until today.
I hope its not too late for her to contend!!!!

crazillo
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:41 AM
i think she is able to do so on grass. she is not consistent enough though

Brαm
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Lisa has all the weapons to win GS!

No she doesn't! Come on, ppl like Mauresmo, Myskina or Clijsters haven't even won a slam yet. How could Raymond then?

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 11:00 AM
No she doesn't! Come on, ppl like Mauresmo, Myskina or Clijsters haven't even won a slam yet. How could Raymond then?
I would say she does have the weapons to win a major and is as talented as anyone out there. She's always had serious mental problems and been unable to maintain the high level she showed today on a consistent basis. Like she said at the press conference, it was all about maintaining the level. She herself knew she could beat Venus if she could believe in herself when things got tight. In the past she faltered and choked or gave up easily when she got nervous and got down on herself. I hope today's win means a breakthrough for her career. I have always known Lisa has the game to beat everyone (she has had wins over the best players in the past so).
I'm of course shocked that she beat Venus, whom she had never won a set off before. I still can't believe she did it. She will be tested in the next few rounds and if she manages to pass those tests and face Kim in the SFs, then the pressure will be off again and she will have a good shot at repeating today. It's great and refreshing to see veteran players like Lisa, Amy, Sylvia do so well at a such late stage of their careers. I really want Lisa to go further.

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Hell NO!

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 24th, 2004, 11:21 AM
That's a possibly everything ;)

paellapan
Jan 24th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Yeah, Lisa will win all for major in a row. Wow!!!!!! She beat a player who hasn't played a real tounrment in six months!!!! Lisa Raymond future number 1

euh... the Lisa-slam ? :smoke:

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Well you can make fun of her as you want to but none of you managed to predict her victory over Venus. Lisa has the game to beat anyone. There's no question about it. She has been underestimated and a lot of you still seem to think her win over Venus is a fluke. If she always plays the way she did today, there's no reason why she can't win a big one. She's way more talented and better (when she is on) than any one of the Russian girls you are obsessed with.

Brαm
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:34 PM
If she always plays the way she did today, there's no reason why she can't win a big one.

There you said it. To win a slam you have to play 7 great matches in a row.
Can Lisa Raymond play 1 great match? Sure! 7? No, she can't.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:36 PM
There is no way in hell Lisa is going to win this. For starters, this 16 year old French teenager will beat her on Monday (Sunday in the US). In addition, any player other than Serena who has beaten Venus in a Grand Slam since 2001 hasn't done much with their career since. Here's the list:

Barbata Schett (beat Venus in round 1 of 2001 French Open) - Is she even still ranked in the top 100?

Monica Seles (beat Venus in the QF of the 2002 AO) - Suffered from foot problems and has not played since losing in the first round of the 2003 French Open

Vera Zvonareva (beat Venus in round 3 of the 2003 French Open) - Has lost early in every match since then, but is in the fourth round here, but will most likely be beaten by Lindsay

Not trying to hate, just telling the truth.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:36 PM
There you said it. To win a slam you have to play 7 great matches in a row.
Can Lisa Raymond play 1 great match? Sure! 7? No, she can't.
But she's got a better game than any of the overhyped russian gals. That's for sure. I jus think it's not fair to her that she's never been given the attention she deserves. Now than she proved us all wrong, who knows how far she may go.

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Vera Zvonareva (beat Venus in round 3 of the 2003 French Open) - Has lost early in every match since then, but is in the fourth round here, but will most likely be beaten by Lindsay.Get your facts straights. Vera reached the SF in Vienna, 4th round of Wimbledon, QF of Toronto, 3rd round in US OPEN, QF of Zurich, SF of Linz AND is in the 4th round here since losing to Venus. If you call those losing "early," then so be it :lol::haha:

pReUrBrIyN
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:44 PM
:haha: @ this thread

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:47 PM
I don't know if Lisa can win this tournament, but BEATING Venus would give Lisa tons of confidence. You never know how much damage that confidence may impact her game.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:47 PM
@ :haha:this thread
All your threads about Rubin are more pointless and :haha:

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I don't know if Lisa can win this tournament, but BEATING Venus would give Lisa tons of confidence. You never know how much damage that confidence may impact her game.
So true. She has done anything nearly as big as what she did today. I'm sure she gained tons of confidence from this win. Venus may not have been at her best but clearly Lisa outplayed Venus. I think to say she has a shot at the title is a more realistic thought than saying Sharapova would win.

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Get your facts straights. Vera reached the SF in Vienna, 4th round of Wimbledon, QF of Toronto, 3rd round in US OPEN, QF of Zurich, SF of Linz AND is in the 4th round here since losing to Venus. If you call those losing "early," then so be it :lol::haha:
I had most of my facts straight, but I still don't see any tournament wins. If she could beat a player like Venus, then she should have the ability to win a tournament.

Harju.
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:55 PM
:rolleyes:

Perhaps you wanted to add

Magdalena Grzybowska who is now retired

and Meghann Shaugnessy who is also now struggling..

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:59 PM

Why would we expect them to win this tournament?? Esp. when both of them are already out :lol:

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Who the hell is that?

Meghann hasn't done much since she beat Venus at the Nasdaq-100 in March, so thank you for proving my point.

Harju.
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Why would we expect them to win this tournament?? Esp. when both of them are already out :lol:
No I was refering to lizchris post about the people that Venus has beaten.. :p

and to lizchris..

Magdalena Grzybowska is the girl that beat Venus in French Open Rd1 not sure which year..

Mase
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:05 PM
After wtaching howwell she was hitting the ball, playing the net andmoving last night, I say yeah, your going to have to watch out for her. She was playing like I have never seen Lisa play before.. I dont know if its because she's been working with Martina or what but she was so solid last night it was shocked.

Tompier
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Lisa has very interesting game, serve and volley isn't something we can admire in WTA to often, but let's face it SHE WILL NEVER WIN THE GRAND SLAM in singles. It is to obvious, there will always be more better players. Please don't be funny....

Tompier
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:12 PM
and to lizchris..

Magdalena Grzybowska is the girl that beat Venus in French Open Rd1 not sure which year..

Sorry HoOvErPhOnIc but it was WIMBLEDON something like 1997 don't remember....

Grachka
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Lisa has been one of the players I always like to watch, but never really supported her outright. Yesterday I was delighted to see her beat Venus and will now support her for the rest of the tournament (now Saori is out :sad: ) I think it is a bandwagon well worth hopping on! I support people that play well, are fun to watch and deserve to win :)

Lisa :worship:

Harju.
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Sorry HoOvErPhOnIc but it was WIMBLEDON something like 1997 don't remember....
very close to that ;) :p

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I have always thought she was an under-acheiver for the loads of talent she's got. She had some great wins over top players before but never when it mattered like at the GSs. She finally broke through at a GS and now the question is can she keep it up? If she continues to play the way she did to beat Vee today, I wouldn't be surprised if she won the whole thing and eventually got into the top 10 sometime in the season. Or is she just a streaky play like Maggie?
See Meghanne(sp) Miami...circa 2003 :tape:

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Lisa has been one of the players I always like to watch, but never really supported her outright. Yesterday I was delighted to see her beat Venus and will now support her for the rest of the tournament (now Saori is out :sad: ) I think it is a bandwagon well worth hopping on! I support people that play well, are fun to watch and deserve to win :)

Lisa :worship:
Great post obatafan

P.S. it was a big shame Saori lost today. She had so many chances in the first set and her incapability to convert BPs at the end cost her the match.
She's a nice girl off the court, very humble and cheerful. You picked the right girl for your favorite!

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Some fucktard badrepped me for this thread. Not that I give a damn about it. Just in case you don't know, it was a certain Willy fan.

starr
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Let me say this: If you've got some money to burn, put it on Lisa to win the tournament. ;)

Lisa will not win the Australian Open.

Amanda
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Congratulations to Lisa. Don't know if she'll win the entire tournament, but this sure does boost her confidence. She "didn't think she could beat her(Venus)" when playing previously, but Lisa changed her attitude and believed that she could do it. Lisa was so happy and confident "one of the biggest wins of her career".

Grachka
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Great post obatafan

P.S. it was a big shame Saori lost today. She had so many chances in the first set and her incapability to convert BPs at the end cost her the match.
She's a nice girl off the court, very humble and cheerful. You picked the right girl for your favorite!

It was a shame that Saori lost :sad: She had a good chance and I believe that she had a late injury timeout, but that is not confirmed. I am glad to see she is well supported by other people too! I hope to meet her at Wimbledon this year ;)

As for Lisa, I really hope she does well, she has a great game to watch.

Tompier
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Some fucktard badrepped me for this thread. Not that I give a damn about it. Just in case you don't know, it was a certain Willy fan.

:haha: don't worry it is the internet, and some people just don't know when they should rep you

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Congratulations to Lisa. Don't know if she'll win the entire tournament, but this sure does boost her confidence. She "didn't think she could beat her(Venus)" when playing previously, but Lisa changed her attitude and believed that she could do it. Lisa was so happy and confident "one of the biggest wins of her career".
Exactly! Her game was always there but she had such a big head thinking too much on the court especially getting down on herself too easily. "Starting off well and finishing well " was really previously missing in her. Hope she will back it up by winning the next few matches which now she's expected to win.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:27 AM
I think from the way Kim was playing today, she's beatable for Lisa. Of coruse she still needs to win another match to reach that stage which I'm sure she will. Lisa smoked the French girl today and look at the stats of the second set. She lost only 6 points. I was worried that she might be a bit too up-beat after beating Venus but that was not an issue for her today. She will have to stay that way in her next match as she is expected to win but looks like she really has finally overcome the getting-down-on-herself problem. I expect her to win the QF match rather easily.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:14 AM
There is no way in hell Lisa is going to win this. For starters, this 16 year old French teenager will beat her on Monday (Sunday in the US). In addition, any player other than Serena who has beaten Venus in a Grand Slam since 2001 hasn't done much with their career since. Here's the list:

Barbata Schett (beat Venus in round 1 of 2001 French Open) - Is she even still ranked in the top 100?

Monica Seles (beat Venus in the QF of the 2002 AO) - Suffered from foot problems and has not played since losing in the first round of the 2003 French Open

Vera Zvonareva (beat Venus in round 3 of the 2003 French Open) - Has lost early in every match since then, but is in the fourth round here, but will most likely be beaten by Lindsay

OOOOOOh if you dont preach!!! :worship: I bascially agree with what you said....as you can see a lot of people are feeding into the Lisa Raymond hype..that the media has built up because she beat Venus on a rusty game. She might get past Schnyder...but when it comes to other seasoned top players I doubt she gets past them...but hey anything is possible and time will tell...If i had to take a guess..I would say NO...I see either Justine, Kim, Lindsay and MAYBE Amelie winning this slam.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:17 AM

All I have to say is think twice, three times or more before posting next time. You're just not as smart as you think. Need my tutoring?

lizchris
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:20 AM
OOOOOOh if you dont preach!!! :worship: I bascially agree with what you said....as you can see a lot of people are feeding into the Lisa Raymond hype..that the media has built up because she beat Venus on a rusty game. She might get past Schnyder...but when it comes to other seasoned top players I doubt she gets past them...but hey anything is possible and time will tell...If i had to take a guess..I would say NO...I see either Justine, Kim, Lindsay and MAYBE Amelie winning this slam.
I was wrong about the teenager today, but I stand by my statement that Lisa will not win this Slam. I also stand by my statment that there will not be an all Belgian final.

Another possible statistic; I think since Venus has started playing Grand Slams in 1997, I don't think any person who beat her before the final round has ever gone on to win the final and that streak, if it is true, will continue here.

lizchris
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:23 AM
All I have to say is think twice, three times or more before posting next time. You're just not as smart as you think. Need my tutoring?
Maybe you should think, if you have a brain.

alexusjonesfan
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Another possible statistic; I think since Venus has started playing Grand Slams in 1997, I don't think any person who beat her before the final round has ever gone on to win the final and that streak, if it is true, will continue here.
it's not.

1998-06-22WimbledonGrassQFJana Novotna (CZE)7-5 7-6(2)

lizchris
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:27 AM
it's not.

1998-06-22WimbledonGrassQFJana Novotna (CZE)7-5 7-6(2)
I knew there had to be one person. I knew that it wasn't Martina Hingis, Lindsay or Steffi.

Still pretty good on Venus' part.

alexusjonesfan
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:28 AM
I knew there had to be one person. I knew that it wasn't Martina Hingis, Lindsay or Steffi.

Still pretty good on Venus' part.
There might be others but I can't remember any. Still, great record.

vogus
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:32 AM
a better title for the thread would be, "Can Lisa win her next match?" :angel:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:32 AM
I was wrong about the teenager today, but I stand by my statement that Lisa will not win this Slam. I also stand by my statment that there will not be an all Belgian final.

I stand by it too...I doubt she can win it...in all her long live career...never got past a quarter final...and now she is suppose to be grand slam material...i dont think so.....and everybody keeps refering back to the Venus match....she played a good match against Venus, but Venus did not play her game either...mind u she came back from a 6 month lay off..and rusty...we will see..but i dont see Lisa Raymond as the AO champion.

Greenout
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:33 AM

:haha: :tape:

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:36 AM
:bounce: :wavey: :D :D You know the Answer as well as I do ;)

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:39 AM
:haha: :tape:

I know right LOL Vogus if you dont preach too!!!!!! :lol:

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:40 AM
well not necessarily. Compared to predicting Lisa's win over Venus, predicting her to win the title isn't such a big deal.
No one (none of you laughing at the thread title) said nothing that would remotely imply Lisa would have a chance against Venus.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Plus to you Willy fans making fun of me saying Lisa's has a shot at the title, you're sore losers who are unalbe to put the past behind. By using the very logic you always seem to resort to, you turn into haters of players who beat the sisters.

jdog3008
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:44 AM

1998 US Open

lizchris
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:51 AM
1998 US Open
That's true if she played Lindsay, but I thought she played Martina Hingis.

jdog3008
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:53 AM
That's true if she played Lindsay, but I thought she played Martina Hingis.
Davy 6-4 6-4 over Venus

William Hunt
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:57 AM
I am a HUGE Patty Schnyder fan and never really liked Lisa that much, although I must admit that Lisa is a nice person and a very reliable player but Patty will crush her.

lizchris
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Davy 6-4 6-4 over Venus
OK, thanks.

Still only two players is still a great record.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:59 AM
OK, thanks.

Well..two is quite enough. How many matches has Venus lost at the GSs other than Serena? And we shouldn't count on the past records too much.

LUIS9
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Well Lisa is having the tournament of her life and its a well deserved effort. Shes certainly talented, shes certainly got a very solid game, very good volleys and just pretty solid overall, dont know if shes got a decent serve, its definitely not too shabby i guess. Now to believe she will win this tournie is perhaps a bit premature to say the least certainly not accurate nor realistic. Not to diminish her accomplishments, however players like Mauresmo, Henin, Davenport and Clijsters are much too experienced at winning the big matches than Lisa, yes shes experienced alright has been playing the game for 10+ years however has only made quarterfinals once before, not much to give her the confidence to believe this tournie is well within her reach. Besides she doesnt have very good head to heads with the possible finalist she would meet if indeed she makes it to the final at this fortnight.

lizchris
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Well..two is quite enough. How many matches has Venus lost at the GSs other than Serena? And we shouldn't count on the past records too much.
She has lost others to people other than Serena, but that isn't what we were talking about.

Rtael
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:29 AM
OK, thanks.

Wow, so you know neither the facts about your fave, nor the facts about the players you hate (which is pretty much everyone except your fave) ?

Good Job :wavey: :cool: :bs:

PointBlank
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Expect little French girl to beat her handily tomorrow.
:lol: :lol:

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:35 AM
There're so many sore losers on this board. Why can't you have the ball to come out and admit you are/were wrong?
By the way, Lisa winning the whole thing isn't my prediction. In fact, the thread title is a question just because a lot of ppl are failing to realize my point of the thread. Therefore I'm not obligated to make a pulic apology even if she doesn't win it. But if she loses to Patty, then I will have to cuz that is a "prediction".

switz
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:56 AM
There're so many sore losers on this board. Why can't you have the ball to come out and admit you are/were wrong?
By the way, Lisa winning the whole thing isn't my prediction. In fact, the thread title is a question just because a lot of ppl are failing to realize my point of the thread. Therefore I'm not obligated to make a pulic apology even if she doesn't win it. But if she loses to Patty, then I will have to cuz that is a "prediction".

i normally like you, but i have to admit that you have been pretty damn annoying since i came back to this board about a week ago. you constantly give it to the williams fan but in reality you are just as bad as them. i don't give a shit that you think that lisa will be beat patty as it's your right to have that opinion so don't think i'm just saying this because patty is my favourite.

switz
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:19 AM
having said that i also want to add that i have no desire to get into a thing with you. i personally don't see the point in all the bickering, but i mean it's your right to waste your time arguing with people you don't like if that's what does it for you

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:49 AM
:clap: Nice One Alex!

tennnisfannn
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Great as Lisa is playing I really don't see her getting past Kim. Venus didn't seem to be chasing down alot of the shots Lisa was hitting. Kim on the other hand has been moving so brilliantly despite the injury scare. Nothing against Lisa, she played great, Venus played poorly and that should be taken into consideration, unless kim has a bad day, I see Kim in the final.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:29 AM
she could win. who knows?nobody expected Majoli to win the french, or tauziat to reach the finals of wimby, or conchita to win WIMBY, justine the USO!

Veritas
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:17 AM
I like Lisa. she played very well against Venus and did Anastacia to three sets back in sydney, so a great aussie summer for her isn't much of a surprise.

Although I'd hate to admit it, Patty has posted more impressive results in the past and her reaching the semis in a seedless quarter isn't much of stretch. so i have a strong feeling that she will probably humble lisa in their qf matchup.

Plus she's got a 4-0 lead against Lisa in their H2H count.

And Venus certainly did not play at her best against lisa. Of course, hats off to raymond for posting a straight-sets victory and blasting past that teenager in the fourth round, but many will have to admit that if Lisa were to truly measure herself against the best, she would have to play against them during their prime, not when they've returned from a lengthy lay-off.

A GS title for raymond? Maybe not this year.

saki
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:03 AM
I do find it quite amusing that the same Venus fans who told us that Venus always came out of long layoffs brilliantly and was obviously going to win the title and seemed to think that supposing Justine had a chance was absurd are the same ones telling us that Venus was rusty and would have won this match easily if she'd been match-fit. Honestly, I think that Venus probably would have won if she'd been match-fit, but you can't have it both ways and, besides, it was Venus' choice not to be match-fit as she could have played a proper tournament rather than taking the $ in Hong Kong.

How does this reflect on Lisa? Well, I'm still inclined to think that she must have played extremely well to manage to beat Venus in straight sets. I mean, Kim couldn't beat Venus in three sets when Venus was limping at Wimbledon... and here Venus was rusty rather than actually struggling with an injury. I think the fact that she really blasted Golovin off the court bodes very well. She's had two great matches now and her next will be against Schynder whom I also like but who is one of the easier QF opponents. She has a good shot at making it through that and then she'd face Kim or Myskina. I think she might have a better shot against Kim than Myskina because I think Lisa's aggressive net approaches and slice would bother Kim more and, given how shaky Kim has been under pressure at the Slams and how lilttle she's been tested, I don't think it's all that unlikely that we'll see Lisa in the final. I don't think it's all that likely either, but she's in the weak half of the draw, she'll probably get to play the most mentally shaky of the top seeds (I give Kim that over Amelie ;) ) for a place in the final - so why not? In the final... well, anything can happen.

In summary, I don't think Lisa will take the title but I don't think it's completely out of the question either.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:13 AM
I do find it quite amusing that the same Venus fans who told us that Venus always came out of long layoffs brilliantly and was obviously going to win the title and seemed to think that supposing Justine had a chance was absurd are the same ones telling us that Venus was rusty and would have won this match easily if she'd been match-fit. Honestly, I think that Venus probably would have won if she'd been match-fit, but you can't have it both ways and, besides, it was Venus' choice not to be match-fit as she could have played a proper tournament rather than taking the $ in Hong Kong.

How does this reflect on Lisa? Well, I'm still inclined to think that she must have played extremely well to manage to beat Venus in straight sets. I mean, Kim couldn't beat Venus in three sets when Venus was limping at Wimbledon... and here Venus was rusty rather than actually struggling with an injury. I think the fact that she really blasted Golovin off the court bodes very well. She's had two great matches now and her next will be against Schynder whom I also like but who is one of the easier QF opponents. She has a good shot at making it through that and then she'd face Kim or Myskina. I think she might have a better shot against Kim than Myskina because I think Lisa's aggressive net approaches and slice would bother Kim more and, given how shaky Kim has been under pressure at the Slams and how lilttle she's been tested, I don't think it's all that unlikely that we'll see Lisa in the final. I don't think it's all that likely either, but she's in the weak half of the draw, she'll probably get to play the most mentally shaky of the top seeds (I give Kim that over Amelie ;) ) for a place in the final - so why not? In the final... well, anything can happen.

In summary, I don't think Lisa will take the title but I don't think it's completely out of the question either.
My thought exactly! Except Lisa will be better off playing Myskina.
Great post!:worship:

asheboro
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:38 PM
I wonder if stinking martina and pam will give her tips on how to beat kim and justine.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I wonder if stinking martina and pam will give her tips on how to beat kim and justine.
I sure hope so:)

asheboro
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I sure hope so:)

I doubt they will they just wanted Vee out of the way and this was a perfect time to do it. Seeing she has not played in 6 months she was vulnerable and had a sprain ankle so they took all their advantages. I can't say I blame them. Anyway it would be nice if she took the whole thing. We'll see, since she beat Vee so eaisly she should not have any problems with kim and justine.

SJW
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:52 PM
GGM you are soooooo full of bullshit. you accuse Williams fans of being stupid when you have to be the most CHALLENGED person on this board. i feel sorry for you. you whine and complain and whine and complain when your posts are just bait. there's nothing there. i wouldn't be surprised if you were a less-than-casual tennis fan just waiting for those big bad sisters to fall.

now take a minute, and try and post something intelligent

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:59 PM
GGM you are soooooo full of bullshit. you accuse Williams fans of being stupid when you have to be the most CHALLENGED person on this board. i feel sorry for you. you whine and complain and whine and complain when your posts are just bait. there's nothing there. i wouldn't be surprised if you were a less-than-casual tennis fan just waiting for those big bad sisters to fall.

now take a minute, and try and post something intelligent
OK I'm the challenged huh? well well well... You know what? Your bunch of dull posts always destroy someone's good intention.

SJW
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:00 PM
:yawn:

didn't i tell you to post something INTELLIGENT? :confused:

GoGoMaggie
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:02 PM
:yawn:

didn't i tell you to post something INTELLIGENT? :confused:
Could you call a green ambulance for me?

Janet
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:33 PM
No, lisa won't win the whole thing because she beat venus.....whopti doooo one win against a markee player does not make you win everything and mark my word when lisa & venus meets again it won't be a 2nd win against venus she will be back stronger.......

G_Slammed
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Sure..she'll win the whole thing... with her mixed doubles partner Kevin Ullyett.. maybe..

Ballbuster
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
She's going to get properly bounced! Her old but is going to run out of steam in the 2nd week.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:39 PM
:lol: at some of ya'll and this Lisa Raymond hype. Let me just prove how much ya'll have been sucked into this all of a suddent "THE ALMIGHTY LISA RAYMOND HYPE" for accidently beating Venus the other day. Check out Lisa's head to head matchup's

http://home.tenniscorner.net/headtohead.php?tour=WTA&playerid=RAL001

Now ask yourself if thats a record worthy of a Grand Slam Champion??????????

No further questions your honor. :cool: