Mase
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Great match Lisa!

Andrew.
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:23 AM
WHOA BABY! All Lindsay fans salute you! :banana:

Mateo Mathieu
I'm so happy for Lisa!! :bounce: I keep screaming at Lisa during the tiebreaks! :o

Mr. Man
I don't know what to say. I'm in shock! Venus, I'm dissapointed! What the hell? :mad: :sad: :sad:

Great match for Lisa though.

Bezz
Well done lisa!!!!. From what i heard she played some great tennis. Not bad for venus's first tourney back.

joao
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:24 AM
I'm so disappointed!:( What went wrong? We still haven't seen the match in the west coast!

LindsayRocks89
i dont, im very upset that venus lost :bigcry: i never would have expected this to happen in a million years :eek:

AjdeNate!
WOW!!!! :worship:

Sonja
OMG Lisa :worship: Who'd have thought it possible?!

Congratulations!!

deej_01
I guess all the people that said Lisa was nowhere near capable of beating Venus are going to have to eat their words.

AgassiGirl16
Wow...great job Lisa! I'm shocked, but it sounds like an awesome match. I can't wait to watch it.

LindsayRulez
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Lisa Raymond, well done, well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edward.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Deimos
Diya's gonna get an aneurysm from joy. Wanna bet?

Next time, Venus!

DelMonte
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:26 AM
i am so disappointed for venus!! still congrats to lisa. good night, folks!

DelMonte

Joana
Lisa was something special today. I had never seen her play this way, amazing. Venus picked up her game in 2nd set, but it was too late. I think she wasn't that well prepared, she hit many wild shots, and Lisa outran her several times.

esquímaux
:timebomb:

JLDementieva
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Yay for Lisa! great effort! :bounce:

itofan
:sad: I had such high hopes for Venus in this slam. I may be too sad to even watch the match on ESPN.

Congratulations to Lisa. Sounds like she played a great match.

Kart
Excellent game plan from Lisa :worship: - congrats on a deserved win :).

Venus :sad:. Better luck next time :).

Rothes
Forza Raymond!!!

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
Well done lisa!!!!. From what i heard she played some great tennis. Not bad for venus's first tourney back.

not bad for her first tourny?? OMG... its the FUCKING 3rd ROUND. !!@@@

*speechless

Gud Luck to yer next tourny....

ms VENus #^!@#&($@$%!

for-sure
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:28 AM
what idiot started that 250,000 to 1 post? I want to laugh at him/her

tenn_ace
congrats, Lisa! :D

Couver
I think Lisa really deserves cuddos. I've never seen her play this well, especially against Venus.

Venus :sad: There is always next year though :)

LindsayRocks89
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:29 AM
im probably going to cry when i watch the match knowing venus will lose :sad: :sad: i just cant believe that venus lost. its depressing

sartrista7
Just finished watching the match - overall it was great stuff, well done Lisa, but Vee :sad:

Lisa: is more buff than she's ever been - clearly those sessions with Martina N's trainer really paid off. She hit powerfully and accurately from the baseline, often outgunning Venus - the FH in particular was amazing. Pinned Venus behind the baseline with heavy slice, and shot selection was superb - what with the wrong footers, the sneak forays to the net and the changes of direction, Venus rarely knew what was coming and as a result looked flat-footed. Crucially, when Venus upped her level Lisa didn't panic.

Venus: was appalling to start with (first five games or so), could barely land a ball in court. Got better after that, but never got into a groove on either serve or groundstrokes; just when you thought she'd located her game, she'd send a forehand flying or commit a horrible double fault. Really bizarrely for her... she just couldn't play the big points well. I've seen her play much worse than this and win in straight sets, because she normally summons up her best for the important points, but that wasn't happening today at all.

Draw: now wide, wide open.

jerk-in-the-box
im in total shock. Congrats to Lisa I thought she had no chance whatsoever. Venus, highly disappointed in you this was your tourny:sad:

Venus Williams 14th ranked player who would have thought

LiliaLee-Frazier

VERY nice win for lisa..now for the Venus exuses lol

Philip
congrats lisa! :D

she played some fantastic tennis, never seen her so agressive! had venus on the back foot all the time. good match, i did think venus was gunna come back, as she normally does, so its quite shocking!

again congrats lisa, biggest win of her career! :)

silverwhite
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Well done Lisa! I guess this is the price Venus has to pay for not playing any warm-up tournies. I haven't seen her play so badly for a long time. She really needs to cut down on those UEs and improve on her horrendous second serve. Hopefully, this will make her work much harder on her tennis.

magassi
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Kim has got to win this one now! COME ON!

jbone_0307

*speechless

ms VENus #^!@#&($@$%!

I know if she can beat Rubin and Sharapova when she played the exhibition, then she could definately have beat Lisa Raymond. Im laughing at all those people who said the AUS Open crown was venus'. She needs to go ahead and give tennis a long thought break because Serena will and always be better than her. Venus is just a loser in a way. OH but Im pretty sure thats she gonna win the Proximus Diamond Games because it has some very priceless incentive, goes to show where her drive is.

Philip
as for the draw now... i expect nothing less than an all belgian final :help: hopefully kim wins this :)

jerk-in-the-box
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:32 AM
anyone have match statistics?

BK4ever
I hope Vee will play Tokyo now that she has lost early...because only match play will help her find her rhythm consistently...

Congrats to Lisa...

LindsayRocks89
well venus it looks like u were outplayed and i feel so bad for you :sad: better luck next time :D

Rub
I am indeed shocked... venus is done in the ausopen! 3rd round! i thought she was bursting with energy! oh maybe that's why she has a lot of UEs!

MisterQ
I am disappointed for Venus. I would have liked to see her (or Lindsay) win the tournament.

But this is countered by extreme happiness for Lisa. Great to see a hard-working, talented veteran get such a huge win like this late in her career!

It's a glorious day for serve and volley! :)

beauty_is_pink
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:33 AM
yay! congrats lisa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

:devil: hehe Williams... :devil:

Chris_G
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Well, this is exactly what ESPN deserves. Too bad it wasn't Maria Sanchez Lorenzo, who was up a break in the third (a couple times, IIRC) against Lisa on Tuesday.

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:34 AM
This is BAD BAD BAD!! Venus, you played like CRAP today and your famed movement was NOWHERE to be seen. Since when does ANYONE hit 20+ winners against you?!

Girl, you gotta pick it up quickly....´cause your career is going nowhere fast!

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:35 AM
as for the draw now... i expect nothing less than an all belgian final :help: hopefully kim wins this :)
Great! You're not online on MSN :rolleyes:

Diya
bye bye Venus :wavey:

Rub
very huge upset!

GoDominique
Just finished watching the match - overall it was great stuff, well done Lisa, but Vee :sad:

Lisa: is more buff than she's ever been - clearly those sessions with Martina N's trainer really paid off. She hit powerfully and accurately from the baseline, often outgunning Venus - the FH in particular was amazing. Pinned Venus behind the baseline with heavy slice, and shot selection was superb - what with the wrong footers, the sneak forays to the net and the changes of direction, Venus rarely knew what was coming and as a result looked flat-footed. Crucially, when Venus upped her level Lisa didn't panic.

Venus: was appalling to start with (first five games or so), could barely land a ball in court. Got better after that, but never got into a groove on either serve or groundstrokes; just when you thought she'd located her game, she'd send a forehand flying or commit a horrible double fault. Really bizarrely for her... she just couldn't play the big points well. I've seen her play much worse than this and win in straight sets, because she normally summons up her best for the important points, but that wasn't happening today at all.

Perfect analysis. :worship:

Rub
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:37 AM
i really can't believe venus is done in this year's first grandslam!

and whoever said venus is locked in the semis and her cakewalk draw?!

starr
What does this do to Venus in terms of points.

She had a whole gob here, didn't she?

Rub
and kimmy is through to the 4th round!

Joana
The best thing today was Lisa's attitude. The girl really believed she could win and never backed out for a second. That's the way to go - congrats Lisa! Many players should watch this match and take down some notes.

jbone_0307
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:38 AM
her ranking can say bye bye. She will probably be #19 if in the top 20 after this tournament since there arent many point differential between 9-20 ranked players

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:39 AM
I guess we see some awesome power from Venus in let say, that Harkleroad match and then we predict no none can beat her. Crafty tennis is still alive folks. Well done Lisa Raymond, she didn't flinch once in this match which is the most surprising thing.

Andrew.
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:40 AM
How do you think this will change each player's career? Though Lisa may be getting on in years, this might have been the jump start she needed. Hopefully she'll now have the confidence to play the game she played today more often. Venus? She came in looking like she could take the thing, but after this loss, how crushing will it be to her? Her ranking will drop to 14. Will she be able to climb back? This should be very interesting for both players...

starr
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:44 AM
This is BAD BAD BAD!! Venus, you played like CRAP today and your famed movement was NOWHERE to be seen. Since when does ANYONE hit 20+ winners against you?!

Girl, you gotta pick it up quickly....´cause your career is going nowhere fast!
:rolleyes:

TennisHack
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:48 AM

*speechless

ms VENus #^!@#&($@$%!
Pffft :rolleyes: And if this had been any other player coming back from a six-month layoff, would it still be such a disappointment to lose in the 3R of a Grand Slam?

jbone_0307
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Pffft :rolleyes: And if this had been any other player coming back from a six-month layoff, would it still be such a disappointment to lose in the 3R of a Grand Slam?

anybody who loses in the 3rd round of a grand slam coming back from 6 months with A #3 RANKING is considered a disappointment.

Andrew.
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:50 AM

Well, examples.......

Davenport, out for 7 months. First Grand Slam - US Open 2002 - SF

So, considering everyone was saying how Venus was so great and was going to win, and what other players have done after long layoffs, it kinda is a disappointment.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Lisa :yeah:

1jackson2001
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Too bad for Venus. But very well done for Lisa. :)

starr
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Just as it would have been a disappointment for Safin to have lost in the third round, it is a disappointment for Venus to have lost.

But, it is also no great shame either. She has a lot of tennis left in the year and a lot of time to show what kind of player she is.

jbone_0307
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:53 AM
How do you think this will change each player's career? Though Lisa may be getting on in years, this might have been the jump start she needed. Hopefully she'll now have the confidence to play the game she played today more often. Venus? She came in looking like she could take the thing, but after this loss, how crushing will it be to her? Her ranking will drop to 14. Will she be able to climb back? This should be very interesting for both players...

Isnt this what we said last year after her disappointing loss to Serena, Meghann, and Vera??

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:56 AM
:rolleyes:

No seriously....Venus has lost her fear-factor. Look at how Lisa played that match. She BELIEVED that she could BEAT Venus and no fear whatsoever for the big Venus Williams, whereas in the days it was HOPING to win GAMES.

That´s telling...Venus has to pick her level and quick.

TennisHack
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Just as it would have been a disappointment for Safin to have lost in the third round, it is a disappointment for Venus to have lost.

But, it is also no great shame either. She has a lot of tennis left in the year and a lot of time to show what kind of player she is.
Indeed, this is my point. Yes, it is disappointing (and shocking :eek: ) but it's not the end of the world, nor something to blow a blood vessel over, as jist was appearing to do.

And people, she's only ranked #11 ;)

Leo_DFP
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:57 AM
I hope this is a boost for Raymond going into this year! She's always been an underachiever in singles, but as someone else already said, this could be just what she needs to finally start playing to her potential in singles. I had pretty much lost hope her and believed she was only a threat in doubles at her age, but it's nice to see her prove me dead wrong. :)

So sorry about Venus. I wanted her to reach the finals but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I think Clijsters will now win, unless the ankle injury suddenly flares up again.

starr
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:00 AM
I dont' agree that her career is going nowhere fast.

She has a challenge here, but I thought you and her other fans agreed that she is the "real" number three player in the world even if she hadn't played a lick for 6 months.

From that you turn around and trash her when she came up on the short end against a player that was doing very well. Venus isn't god, and the lack of match play can hurt her just as it can any player. But if you truly believe she is a vastly superior player compared to the other women on the tour as you have said in the past, I just don't see how you can call her a loser and all the other things you have said.

Just makes me. :rolleyes:

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:05 AM
No seriously....Venus has lost her fear-factor. Look at how Lisa played that match. She BELIEVED that she could BEAT Venus and no fear whatsoever for the big Venus Williams, whereas in the days it was HOPING to win GAMES.

Honestly I'm glad those days are over. Her opponents choked every single time they got close to her.

Somehow I think it started when Serena replaced Venus as the most feared player on tour. The loss to Shaughnessy at Nasdaq 2003 was a sign of vulnerability because after losing the 1st set tiebreaker, she collapsed in the 2nd 1-6, which normally wouldn't happen. As I watched Venus lose to Zvonareva, I got this feeling that the image of Venus Williams, as a grand slam champion, was going down

ghosts
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:07 AM
omg Venus Williams :mad:

this is the most shocking results since I'm following tennis!!!!!

jojoseph
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:10 AM
This isn't too surprising. When she gets in a groove, she can be really destructive.

Congrats to her. This should be a great match as I'm about to watch it. :bounce:

bandabou
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:23 AM
I dont' agree that her career is going nowhere fast.

She has a challenge here, but I thought you and her other fans agreed that she is the "real" number three player in the world even if she hadn't played a lick for 6 months.

From that you turn around and trash her when she came up on the short end against a player that was doing very well. Venus isn't god, and the lack of match play can hurt her just as it can any player. But if you truly believe she is a vastly superior player compared to the other women on the tour as you have said in the past, I just don't see how you can call her a loser and all the other things you have said.

Just makes me. :rolleyes:

You´re mistaken...I didn´t expect Venus to win the tournament, but I didn´t expect her to go before the qrtrs either. Come-back or no come-back: on this surface Venus had NO business losing to Lisa.

Mikey
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Lisa was absolutely incredible. I give her so much credit for this because she had never even come close to taking a set off of Venus and she really did play the match of her life. She really kept cool in pressure situations and was not overwhelmed by the serve or anything that Venus could throw at her. What surprised me the most, I think, was the combination of Lisa's ability to really hit with Venus (and I mean really hit with Venus in ways that I've seen few players do - like Serena, Lindsay, and Clijsters and Justine at times) and her confidence level. If she plays like that all the time, she'll be hurtling up in the rankings in no time.

As for Venus, it was not nerves. She looked fine before this match. In my opinion, it DOES have to do with her lack of match play before this tournament, but not in the sense that everyone has been saying. She had two easy matches before this and the first time someone posed a challenge to her, she didn't know what to do. I believe that her ability to cope will come back after she has a few more tournaments under her belt. She didn't play great, but she played OK. Unfortunately, someone having a good day can really capitalize on an OK day. She will regroup and she will be back, but it will take some time and a good win over someone that could potentially threaten her. As for whoever said that Lindsay's SF is comparable to this, it really isn't. Lindsay played a couple tournaments before the 2002 US Open and had a bunch of matches under her belt - not to mention, she had faced a couple good opponents (losing to Venus and Chanda on a good day, and Myskina, who she beat). I think it's kind of a different situation.

I'm very proud of you Lisa, that was an amazing match you played and I want you to keep playing like that for the rest of the year :D

jmp
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by sartrista7

What GoDominique said! :worship:

I'm hoping Lisa can back up her incredible performance. Well done! :D

Good luck to Venus for the rest of 2004. :)

GrahamD
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Great job Lisa :worship: