PDA

View Full Version : Martina/Raymond vs. Williams/Williams who will go to the olympics?

for-sure
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Each team is likely to want to go...badly.

What would Zina do. Should she just look at the rankings or go by 'who has the GREATEST potential' to do well?

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:39 PM
Lindsay and Corina!!!!!

for-sure
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Maybe!

for-sure
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
It would be a real 'feel good' story for the olympics. Go Corina!

Kart
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
It would be nice to see Lindsay and Corina but I don't doubt it'll be Martina N and Lisa Raymond.

That's the primary reason Martina is playing doubles this year with Lisa - and what Martina wants, she will invariably get from her old pal BJK (and probably Zina as well.)

Still, Lisa deserves it :D after missing out last time :(.

mishar
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Previous threads have discussed this. Countries can send more than one doubles team this year, so depending on ranking and selection, both teams can go.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Do they only need to send 1 team?
In singles they can send 3 players to make the draw.

for-sure
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Previous threads have discussed this. Countries can send more than one doubles team this year, so depending on ranking and selection, both teams can go.

really? thanks. I had no idea. I just remember Lisa's fight to play the olympics the last time around.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Go Lindsay and Corina!!!!!! If they perform better, I dont see no reason to disregard them.

Foot_Fault
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:05 PM
To Be honest, and I am a Williams Fan, I would love to see Raymond/Nav go, b/c Raymond felt she was dubbed last time, and Venus and Serena will probably go in Singles, along with Davenport...and they will probably Sweep the medals.

bandabou
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:06 PM
If Williams/Williams wanna go, they´ll go. No questions asked!

victory1
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
Both Venus and serena will be able to go as single players. There's still 3 more months before the committee choose an Olympic team, V&S should be in the top 3 American by then if they play a few tournament in the next 3 months.

Zummi
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:16 PM
Williamsx2 are definitely going. If Martina/Lisa keep up their top 10 rankings, they will go too.

DA FOREHAND
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
I would say Raymond/Navratilova

From Venus' interviews it doesn't sound as if she's gonna put any effort into playing doubles this year.

Paneru
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:02 PM
If Williams/Williams wanna go, they´ll go. No questions asked!
Exactly!
Their is no way you can deny the reigning champions
a chance to defend their title.

saki
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:04 PM
As I understand it, both teams can go anyway. But, if there were a choice, I think Navratilova/Raymond would be going. The main reason for not selecting Lisa last time was that there was no-one to partner her. This time, she has a regular American partner and they're both in the top 10 for doubles.

SerenaSlam
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
i think its up to the williamses. if they want to go, they will defitnely play the french doubles, and the wimbledon doubles. but if they really just wanna focus on singles, they will make sure to put no doubt in Zina G's mind to place them as 1 and 2 in singles in Athens. But really its up to them. Zina will w/out a doubt pick the BEST, same thing BJK did. And again, if venus and serena decide to go on this tare in doubles, and play and win the french, wimbledon and usopen (is olympics before or after usopen?) then they will be playing dubs w/out a doubt. i just had this one question. if they both play doubles, can they both still be picked for singles?

Paneru
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM
i think its up to the williamses. if they want to go, they will defitnely play the french doubles, and the wimbledon doubles. but if they really just wanna focus on singles, they will make sure to put no doubt in Zina G's mind to place them as 1 and 2 in singles in Athens. But really its up to them. Zina will w/out a doubt pick the BEST, same thing BJK did. And again, if venus and serena decide to go on this tare in doubles, and play and win the french, wimbledon and usopen (is olympics before or after usopen?) then they will be playing dubs w/out a doubt. i just had this one question. if they both play doubles, can they both still be picked for singles?
Yes you can play both.
Venus did and came away with double gold.

mishar
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Zummi is right. The US (and other countries) can have up to 2 doubles teams, and up to 4 singles players. These can overlap with doubles or not.

So there is no controversy. The rules have changed since 2000

canuckfan
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
The Williams won't go, one of them or both will be injured... :rolleyes:

SerenaSlam
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:28 PM
and when it comes to the rankings, i personally don't think Zina is gonna look at the rankings of Americans. when it clear that they are the 1 and 2 americans in the world.

Look at this stat

Venus and Serena agaisnt top 10 Americans

Serena- 19-7
Venus- 24-11
Total= 43-18

Venus and Serena against top 10 Americans over the last 2 years.

Serena- 10-1
Venus- 5-0
Total= 15-1

W/out a doubt Serena and Venus are more deserving of the Olympics than any other American right now

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:05 PM
saki:

The one "doubles only" player in 2000 could have been partnered with any of the three singles playes. So in Lisa's case, she probably would have been partnered with Davenport, a team which would easily have won the gold medal barring injury. (Of course, Davenport ended up pulling out of the 2000 Olympics with an injury, paving the way for Dementieva to get a silver medal in singles.)

tennisIlove09
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Both will go...although Corina could make a VERY strong case.

I think the better question is: Which team will join the Williamses? Martina/Lisa or Lindsay/Corina

CJ07
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:13 PM
It'll probably be

1. Williams
2. Williams
3. Davenport
4. Seles/Capriati/Rubin

Doubles
1. Williams/Williams
2. Navratilova/Raymond

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:18 PM
It'll probably be

1. Davenport
2. Williams
3. Williams
4. Capriati

Doubles
1. Lindsay / Corina
2. Navratilova/Raymond

Pureracket
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
The Williams won't go, one of them or both will be injured... :rolleyes:Maybe you wouldn't have to :rolleyes: if you paid attention to the formidable Canadian team in your country.j/k:wavey:

canuckfan
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:33 PM
Maybe you wouldn't have to :rolleyes: if you paid attention to the formidable Canadian team in your country.j/k:wavey:

Please don't underestimate the formidable canadian olympic double team of Sonya Jeyasseelan and Mélanie Marois! :awww:
They will train hard in their igloo this winter to kick your Williams' ass in Athens! :rolls:

DA'BOMB
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:41 PM
Please don't underestimate the formidable canadian olympic double team of Sonya Jeyasseelan and Mélanie Marois! :awww:
They will train hard in their igloo this winter to kick your Williams' ass in Athens! :rolls:
:retard: :smash:

pReUrBrIyN
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:42 PM
Capriati won't be able to play singles at the Olympics because she hasn't played a Fed Cup match ever. Meaning that Rubin will most likely go.

nitsansh
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:28 PM
What's the trouble??

Both couples can go, since Serena and Venus will surely earn qualifying as singles and Martina and Lisa can qualify as doubles players. Whichever other 2 singles players won't play doubles.
Zina Garison has nothing to do with it. She's the Fed Cup captain, nothing else.

nitsansh
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:50 PM
really? thanks. I had no idea. I just remember Lisa's fight to play the olympics the last time around.

Why then you post threads on matters you have no idea about?

These are the rules for 2004 Olympics:

Maximum players from one country (in each sex): 6
Maximum singles players from one country: 4
Maximum double teams from one country: 2
no more than 2 players from one country can qualify for doubles only. Each player who qualify for singles can also play doubles.

Qualifying procedure:
48 players qualify for the singles tournament based on the ranking list of June 14
The remaining players are selected by ITF (14 players) and tripartite commitee (2)
5 double teams qualify based on the aggregate ranking of best 2 players from one country in the doubles ranking of June 14
The remaining 27 double teams are selected by ITF

So... if Venus and Serena qualify as singles they can play in doubles.
USA should qualify a doubles team as one of best 5 nations in the doubles ranking
If Martina and Lisa are the highest rank doubles players they should go, and the remaining 2 singles players will not play doubles.

nitsansh
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:00 PM
It'll probably be

1. Davenport
2. Williams
3. Williams
4. Capriati

Doubles
1. Lindsay / Corina
2. Navratilova/Raymond

This is impossible. The maximum # of players per country is 6, which means there's only room for 2 players who play doubles only.

fammmmedspin
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:11 PM
Why then you post threads on matters you have no idea about?

These are the rules for 2004 Olympics:

Maximum players from one country (in each sex): 6
Maximum singles players from one country: 4
Maximum double teams from one country: 2
no more than 2 players from one country can qualify for doubles only. Each player who qualify for singles can also play doubles.

Qualifying procedure:
48 players qualify for the singles tournament based on the ranking list of June 14
The remaining players are selected by ITF (14 players) and tripartite commitee (2)
5 double teams qualify based on the aggregate ranking of best 2 players from one country in the doubles ranking of June 14
The remaining 27 double teams are selected by ITF

So... if Venus and Serena qualify as singles they can play in doubles.
USA should qualify a doubles team as one of best 5 nations in the doubles ranking
If Martina and Lisa are the highest rank doubles players they should go, and the remaining 2 singles players will not play doubles.
Wheras the rules actually seem designed for W X2 + Doubles players 1+2.

If Williams sisters are sick or don't go though second US team would have to be adhoc.
Who gets the singles place between Monica and Jennifer is a real dilemna - the obvious answer is not Monica, which will be sad if she is fit.