PDA

View Full Version : LOL @ the 'depth' of men's tennis at the AUS open

for-sure
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:10 PM
all the men's matches are going quicker than the women's matches

Andre lost something like 6 games
Andy (in a much hyped match) lost 4 games!

Where is this 'depth' they speak of in the men's game?

Experimentee
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:18 PM
And also the longest deciding set of the tournament and most epic match was in the womens draw, 12-10 to Kapros! :lol:

rvach
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Dent = had a hip injury vs. Roddick
Enqvist = slow return from injury vs. Agassi

Measuring the "depth of men's tennis" via these two matches is ignorant.

for-sure
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM
With Elena D. and Petrova being upset on the first days and some tough 3 set matches in general...the women are showing far greater depth.

5 matches on the women's side yesterday went to 3 sets...while 6 matches on the men's side went to 3 (out of five) 1 went to 4 and another to 5.

Where is this depth you speak of?

Lady
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
It's not only these 2 matches!

Look @ all Andy's, Roger's, even kinda Ferrero's, Andre's & David Nalbandian's matches @ the AO, all finished pretty quickly!

And there have been a lot of upsets in the women's draw as well!

I like ATP, so it's not like I'm against it! Yes, it has more depth, but not so much, when top players play well!

for-sure
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:42 PM

Look @ all Andy's, Roger's, even kinda Ferrero's, Andre's & David Nalbandian's matches @ the AO, all finished pretty quickly!

I like ATP, so it's not like I'm against it! Yes, it has more depth, but not so much, when top players play well!
I agree with every word you said. And I don't want to come off as ATP hating (as I like both tours very much).

for-sure
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
Dent = had a hip injury vs. Roddick
Enqvist = slow return from injury vs. Agassi

Measuring the "depth of men's tennis" via these two matches is ignorant.

If you are not fit to win, you should not be out there. :rolleyes:

Vass22
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
Well last year women's game was totally predictable. You could always say who's reaching the quarters and stuff. This AO is a bit different. SO I''d say the depth is equal.

KV
Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
At the Aus-Open women's tennis is stronger in depth. But in men's tennis we've got finals were unseeded players were involved. In women's tennis yet to come.

doby
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:29 PM
So you use 2 matches to comment on the `depth` of men's tennis? Depth can be observed overall in a calendar year looking at results in general, not at a certain tournement or even worst at a couple of matches.

However, it's been a dissapointing tournement so far for the men - not that it was more exciting for the women.
:) I think you're missing the point...which for me is that the atp boys and their minons[the press] looooooooooove to rub the WTA noses in their uncompetative matches and lord over them the"fact" that they supposively always have enormous depth in all of their tournaments.blah,blah,blah :lol: :lol:..and the guys love to take shots at the women over it.I wonder if any of these guys figure they[atp players] should take a pay cut for this tournament.

Natarajasana
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:33 PM
Well last year women's game was totally predictable. You could always say who's reaching the quarters and stuff. This AO is a bit different. SO I''d say the depth is equal.I totally agree. Although I do enjoy women's tennis more - there is a great deal more depth to men's tennis overall (especially at the Slams....although perhaps not at this year's Oz Open...thus far).

Crazy Canuck
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:35 PM

"kinda" Ferrero's? Ferrero has the fastest match in the mens draw, unless I missed one. He lost two games in 66 minutes in the first round.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:36 PM
That's like, ONE DAY... How can we judge the depth with only ONE DAY?
We can't. Unless we're being stoopid, then we'll try to anyways.

Keith17
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:37 PM
You're an online geek for realizing Ferrero won like that.

I've never heard that he's in the tournament.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:38 PM
:) I think you're missing the point...which for me is that the atp boys and their minons[the press] looooooooooove to rub the WTA noses in their uncompetative matches and lord over them the"fact" that they supposively always have enormous depth in all of their tournaments.blah,blah,blah :lol: :lol:..and the guys love to take shots at the women over it.I wonder if any of these guys figure they[atp players] should take a pay cut for this tournament.
oh look! more generalizations about the entire ATP based on the comments of a few!

STOP THE PRESSES: Fabrice Santoro spat at an umpire.

Why isn't everybody talking about how the entire ATP does this now? It's the EXACT SAME THING, and makes as little sense.

Idiotic generalizations. Very tiring. Just enjoy the WTA, already.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:38 PM
You're an online geek for realizing Ferrero won like that.

I've never heard that he's in the tournament.
hee hee... I followed his match on the scoreboard ;) Yes, he slaughtered the highly touted (;)) Montanes.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
With Elena D. and Petrova being upset on the first days and some tough 3 set matches in general...the women are showing far greater depth.

5 matches on the women's side yesterday went to 3 sets...while 6 matches on the men's side went to 3 (out of five) 1 went to 4 and another to 5.

Where is this depth you speak of?
Anybody arguing with this poster - he obviously doesn't understand what "depth" is, so stop wasting your time. ;)

skanky~skanketta
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
its easy. normally its not about the length of the matches only, but the fact that many top men's seeds are out early, but if u look at it now, there are plenty of top seeds in the men's draw that are still alive.

doby
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:23 PM
oh look! more generalizations about the entire ATP based on the comments of a few!

STOP THE PRESSES: Fabrice Santoro spat at an umpire.

Why isn't everybody talking about how the entire ATP does this now? It's the EXACT SAME THING, and makes as little sense.

Idiotic generalizations. Very tiring. Just enjoy the WTA, already.
:) C'mon,you know the WTA takes alot of shit from atp players and the press during tournaments if their matches are uncompetative.There is always some mouthy player(s) from the atp who yaps about the top women having easy matches on a given day,and most of the other guys love it when one of them does this.

Martian Willow
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:27 PM
Yep, the issue certainly got discussed when Marcello Rios mentioned it. So why shouldn't we talk about it when they have similar scorelines in the mens draw?