PDA

View Full Version : Friday report

Experimentee
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
I got there at 5pm so the only women's match I watched was Daniilidou vs Santangelo. There was a good atmosphere at this match as there was a block of loud Greek supporters with flags and chants and all that, and lots of people cheering for Mara too. Mara played excellent tennis, hitting great groundstrokes and following them into the net a lot. Eleni didnt play well throughout the whole match. Mara should have won in two sets, she was serving for the match at 5-4 in the 2nd set but she choked and made all these errors and lost her serve, and Eleni won the next few games to take the set. She showed some great fighting even though she wasnt playing her best tennis, and when she won the set she pumped her fist and gave a huge "come on!" then ran out for a toilet break. In the 3rd set Mara was still playing bad and couldnt hit anything in and Eleni went to a 2-0 lead. It looked like Mara was gone and she'd lost her opportunity, but then she got herself together and started playing well again like she was doing before, and stormed back to win 6 of the next 7 games to take the match. When she won she was so happy, she ran over to her box and jumped up to hug her coach and everyone. She was really excited to be in her first 4th rd and signed a lot of autographs after. Today she played much better than her ranking, though I remember she played good here last year but then didnt really reach that level again for the rest of the year. Hope she can keep it up this year.
After that I saw Robredo/Nadal vs Coetzee/Haggard, then Hrbaty vs Grosjean, and left the tennis at about 10pm.

auntie janie
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks so much, Exp! This was the very match I was hoping to read about. :kiss:

I will now copy your report to another board with Mara fans, with credit to you. :)

Steff_forever
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:07 PM
... so the only women's match I watched was Daniilidou vs Santangelo.

It was the right one ! ;)

..., and lots of people cheering for Mara too.

It's really important for a qualifier to get some backing from behind ...
I wish I'd have watched it live as you did to cheer for her, too !

Mara played excellent tennis, hitting great groundstrokes and following them into the net a lot. ...
Mara was gone and she'd lost her opportunity, but then she got herself together and started playing well again like she was doing before, and stormed back to win 6 of the next 7 games to take the match.

A raw diamond or emerald ??? I will focus this year on her upcoming. She will. :drool:

Mara should have won in two sets, ...

Even more :worship: for that job !

...she was really excited to be in her first 4th rd ...;
but then didnt really reach that level again for the rest of the year. ...

Would have been nice to see her big, big :D :D

Thanks Experimentee, you posted the lines I wanted to read somewhere. Hold on to that work !!!! :worship: :hatoff: :yeah: :bigclap: :hatoff: :yeah: :worship:

Filadidas
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Oh I didn't see the Eleni vs. Mara match as I arrived at nearly 6pm..... :(
Anyway, good to see a new surprise going through to the next round.... Go Mara!! But against Justine next... Hmm..... Try your best!!! ;)

I was thinking to go to see the Roberdo/Nadal doubles match, but I forgot I was holding a Rod Laver Arena ticket - unable to access to Vodafone Arena!!! Damn!! :p

I went to see Roddick vs. Dent...... Geezz... I was expecting a good match... But it turned out to be an extreme boring and crappy match..... Wasted my time!!! Should have gone to see Grosjean vs. Hrbaty instead!!!! :mad:

But luckily the mixed doubles match was so great.... Martina was entertaining as usual on court.... and both teams were playing very good..... lots of great shots.... very entertaining match!!! Really compensated the value that we have lost from the mens singles match..... :)

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:41 PM
lol poor you, i felt sorry for the people who wasted their money on the crappy Roddick-Dent match. When that match was over, some people came into the Hrbaty match I was watching and they were saying "oh this one has rallies!" and i was just laughing and so glad i didnt watch the Roddick match. Hrbaty-Grosjean was a good match, but the wrong result. But it was so cold and windy in the MCA, I was freezing! At least in RLA there isnt as much wind getting in.

ghosts
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:56 PM

King Aaron
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:55 PM
When that match was over, some people came into the Hrbaty match I was watching and they were saying "oh this one has rallies!" and i was just laughing and so glad i didnt watch the Roddick match.
Lmao. :o :lol: