PDA

View Full Version : AO Scheduling

~|Naomi|~
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:23 AM
Is a load of crap.
Once again there is only one women's match on RLA all day, while there are 3 men's singles and a men's doubles. The selection of the 3 men's matches is usual but for the past 3 days they have decided to abandon the women't night match and replace it with a doubles (once mixed and twice men's).
In Saturday's schedule of the 2 BIG courts there are only 2 women's matches:fiery: in comparison to 5 men's singles and 2 men's doubles. It is stupid. And before some of you say I'm only saying this cause Kim is on Vodafone, well I'm not, I think that is fine. Venus should be on RLA cause her alst match was on Vodafone but Maria-Anastasia is worthy of RLA and should be on there or at least Vodafone.They should make the amount of men's and women's matches on the 2 big courts even.
Even today (Friday) there was only one women's match on RLA and it was the same on Thursday. At least on Friday there was 2 women's matches on Vodafone cause on Thursday it was the same as Saturday with just 2 women's matches on the 2 courts.

azza
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:27 AM
Get over it :dance:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:30 AM
I have nothing to get over:yawn: I'm just pointing out that the AO scheduling is crap which it is.....

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Scheduling is pretty bad, doubles :rolleyes: ok for Thursday cos i thought it was gonna be a one off cos Rafter came back but for today and tomorrow as well :rolleyes:

is the doubles televised ??? bet about 100 or so remain.

i just hope as that British Eurosport have their heads up Henmans ass for obvious reasons. that they also show the previous match (Nastya vs Masha :D )

not counting on it though :o we might get end of it.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:32 AM
There was not a mens doubles match on Rod Laver arena. Not unless Martina Navratilova and Emelie Loit have become men in the past 24 hours.

There was a mens doubles match on Vodofone, but that's because Robredo-Nadal would have played Patrick Rafter and whoever had the latter pair won their first round match (which was still to be decided when the schedule was being made up) - which they did not.

I shouldn't have to explain why Rafter and Navratilova need to be put on big courts.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:33 AM
There was not a mens doubles match on Rod Laver arena. Not unless Martina Navratilova and Emelie Loit have become men in the past 24 hours.

There was a mens doubles match on Vodofone, but that's because Robredo-Nadal would have played Patrick Rafter and whoever had the latter pair won their first round match (which was still to be decided when the schedule was being made up) - which they did not.

I shouldn't have to explain why Rafter and Navratilova need to be put on big courts.
It's just occured to me that perhaps you meant tomorrow's schedule? lol at me if that is the case. Ignore all this ramble ;)

~|Naomi|~
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:39 AM

No I meant there was a men's doubles of RLA on Thursday and will be on Saturday night, there was a mixed on Friday night.

Yes but why not drop a men's match or put more women on Vodafone:shrug: I understand why St.Pat was on RlA, but I don't get why they have to get rid of the women's night match to put him there,. My point isn't that Nav or Pat got RLA but rather the allocation of women's matches to the top courts which is dismal

Well there wasn't exactly a huge crowd left for Rafters match.....

tennisvideos
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:40 AM
I think the men are the stars of this tournament, so I can understand the scheduling perfectly well. Plus the Aussie men are doing well so it all makes sense. Throw in Rafter and Navratilova and nothing more needs be said.

I have loved the programming. It's all personal taste I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I normally support the women's tour far more than the mens, but I am finding mens tennis very exciting recently and esp at this tournament.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:39 AM
With no Serena, no Hingis, no Capriati, no Kounikova, all well-known and popular in Australia, it's not surprising. Amelie, Lindsay and even Juju don't have the same profile. Of the players who've turned up, only Kim and Venus have a profile in Australia to match Lleyton, Agassi, Philipoussis, and many of the other male players. Oh, and Navratilova in her doubles matches.

Anyway, it's a sad fact of life that the Australian media, and perhaps the public as well, tend to think of women's tennis as largely a side show. The scheduling shows that influence. It is not entirely sexism when you consider the success of the Australian men compared to the Australian women in recent years.

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:58 PM

Well since there are only 2 matches in the evening, some 12,000 actually do remain, actually the mixed was more entertaining than the singles tonight. I agree that they shouldn't put doubles on RLA @ night, it's just too much.

Experimentee
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Yeah I think the scheduling is crap too. I saw some matches on small outside courts that shouldnt be, like Sharapova/Tammy vs Ferguson/Breadmore. The whole court was full and people were climbing the stands in other courts just to get a look. Also Robredo/Nadal on Vodafone over good aussie teams like Woodbridge/Bjorkman and Arthurs/Hanley.

fammmmedspin
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:40 PM
You can see why Australians are getting good courts and today Venus gets RL for a matchup that fits most people's definition of a cake-walk - its what they think Aussie TV/fans US TV wants.

It does mean that the Womens game sinks further into obscurity though. Lisa will have to play brilliantly to produce an interesting match. if she doesn't, the general fans will see another walkthrough - which will leave Kuznetsova's few games on top of Justine the only competitive match seen so far. Fans and media will conclude that its the same old story - no depth and dull matches. Meanwhile, the rising women stars, Safina and Sharapova, will probably not get on air even if they do provide real challenges to Kim and Anastasia. If they wanted potentially good tennis they would have one of those two matches on RL early and it might be the ideal appetiser for the mens match. There may be a problem having a womens night match if the 4 th R is to be played in one day (?) but they also seem to be becoming keener on doubles matches in the prime slot rather than womens matches. Today they have an early round (probably cake-walk too) mens doubles match that happens to have an Australian in it. Indeed. preferring mens doubles matches to the womens singles may be a pretty good sign of how they see womens tennis. They can't even be bothered to find a good womens match, but throw on Venus to keep the casual US fans happy and in the happy knowledge that she won't take long before they can get on with the mens matches.